: question about small little yellowish light bulb in headlamps

OnDaSlab
08-23-11, 01:28 PM
the one on my right side blew out, does any one know where i can purchase these bulbs online and part number for it?

is it a pain to replace it?

thanks for the help

mckellyb
08-23-11, 02:24 PM
Those are 'parking' lights. The one on my right is burned-out, too!

Based on where they are, they're not likely really easy to access. As a result, I'm going to use LED replacements.

Someone just posted a comprehensive bulb list. In the past few days, actually.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/176159-complete-correct-sts-interior-exterior-light.html?highlight=comprehensive+bulb

ddalder
08-23-11, 10:14 PM
The list posted may not be entirely accurate. I'm not sure if there is a difference if you have HID's or not (the post specifies non-HID vehicle), but I just replaced mine last week. I purchased them directly from GM and for my car (with HID's), the bulb is actually a W5W not a 194. This is embossed in the plastic cover of the headlamp housing. They look the same (shape wise), but the correct bulb has a blue tint on the glass. The illuminate a whitish/yellow though.

The GM part number is 25763464 and the ACDelco number is W5WB50X2.

So here's the problem...

You will need to remove your front bumper cover to get the headlamp assemblies out. Once these are out you can remove the side access cover (one hex head screw, 8mm if I recall correctly). With skinny hands/fingers you can reach in and remove the socket. It is a twist in socket and not one of GM's better products! There are two small tabs (part of the headlamp assembly) that mate with grooves in the twist-in socket. The tabs are extremely thin and fragile. In my case, I removed the RH bulb and the plastic was so thin and brittle the tabs broke off and stuck in the bulb socket housing. Fortunately on one broke on the LH assembly. I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of this product. I ended up using a small strip of tape on either side of the bulb socket to hold it into the headlamp assembly.

You may want to strongly consider replacing all your bulbs while everything is apart (including fog and turn/DRL). I did (except my HID's). It's way too much work to get everything apart to have another bulb burn out in a few weeks.

scott9001
10-07-11, 06:42 PM
you can get the bulb out by loosing the bolts that hold the fuse box in and jsut move it up out of the way, the access to the bulb is 1 5.5mm bolt for the cover and reach down and turn remove the bulb is a 194B! remove the air box on the drivers side its actually the easier side to do! get on that champ! its easy

chazglenn3
10-10-11, 11:05 PM
I had the same experience changing both of my parking light bulbs...except I broke both tabs on both assemblies. I also used a strip of tape around the socket to make it fit tight. Terrible design. I used Sylvania Silverstar 194 bulbs and they are still too yellow. I will replace them next time with 4300k LED bulbs so they will match the HID headlights. And I also had the remove the front fascia.

EChas3
10-11-11, 12:07 AM
If you're referencing the little 'peanut' lamps, I was just checking them out while passing an emission test. The OEM's don't look yellow.

chazglenn3
10-11-11, 12:43 AM
Really? Do they match the HID's?

Cadjiek
10-11-11, 10:29 AM
My bulbs are still oem too. They are the same color as my non HID lamps. I don't see any yellow in the bulb either.

scott9001
10-11-11, 12:52 PM
the bulb has a blue finish and the called for part number on the bulb is a 194B

chazglenn3
10-15-11, 06:39 PM
Well, the Silverstar 194's I put in also have a blue finish but look VERY yellow compared to the HID headlamps.

EChas3
10-15-11, 06:51 PM
Sounds like the correct bulb is a special one for color-match.

johndm
01-15-12, 09:54 AM
Can these be replaced from underneath by removing the wheel well plastic liners and reaching up to remove a gas cap type cover the same as replacement on a CTS?