: alot of these hypermilers are idiots

OffThaHorseCEO
08-23-11, 01:09 PM
http://www.metrompg.com/posts/alternator-optional.htm

Lets ignore the fact that the charging system is a very important part of the car INCLUDING the cars safety functions

This guy had his car converted from an auto to a manual then swapped in the engine jesda mentioned in his civic review. I'm sure this wasnt FREE. The car was getting 30mpg to start with, and now hes at a mighty 55mpg.

Sure he almost doubled his fuel economy, but at what cost? Did it make financial sense?
Now they're advocating removing the alternator, BUYING solar panels, and extra batteries, for another possible 5% increase? The article linked doesn't even use a proper belt, he used a damn bike tire inner tube to start with, then replaced it with bungee cord because the inner tube kept snapping. He also confusedly mentions that the engine started stuttering on him. i wonder why?

Idiots

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 02:41 PM
Wow... :nono:

Ranger
08-23-11, 03:36 PM
Sure he almost doubled his fuel economy, but at what cost? Did it make financial sense?
Some people do not think that far ahead (or are not capable). Last time gas went over $4.00/gal I had a neighbor that ran out and traded her SUV for a "Smart" car. I'm sure she took a beating on the SUV as dealers could not give them away at that time and probably payed sticker for the coffin on wheels. I would bet anything she never ran the numbers to see how long it would take to break even. Probably longer than the coffin on wheels would last.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-23-11, 03:45 PM
and dont get me wrong, im all for savign money where you can. for example i crunched numbers regarding my gf driving the smoother more comfortable SRX vs SW2 to durham twice a week and around town. the difference was about $200 a month.

the SW2s AC doesnt work and it would cost 200 to fix. so in this case, i'll lose money the first week, but gain it back the rest of the semester.

the difference in my situation and that guys situation is a large difference in gas mileage between two vehicles, and an instant improvement by simply switching vehicles. im not pouring money into it to squeeze a few more cents out of it. and the ac needs fixing anyway

Playdrv4me
08-25-11, 07:10 AM
"a lot of these hypermilers are idiots"

I was fairly certain this was already a foregone conclusion.

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 10:18 AM
But, the planet. TEH PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cadillac kevin
08-25-11, 10:58 AM
I'd much rather drive my 200hp van that gets 20mpg combined that some shitty honda or geo that has 5 hp and gets 100 mpg IF you shut it off while driving, only do 40 mph and drive on the shoulder of the highway, make your car look retarded, and throw away your alternator
and how much gas was used to make and ship and package all those hokey body mods they stick on
and what about the impact of all those deep cycle batteries (lead mining, processing, and shipping it on a boat/ truck is worse for the environment than just burning an extra gallon of gas every 10 miles)

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 11:01 AM
I'm gonna show every Prius V what a real V is when encountered.

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 11:02 AM
Sacrilege!

brandondeleo
08-25-11, 11:46 AM
I am perfectly happy with my 21mpg Northstar, thank you. :highfive:

Stingroo
08-25-11, 12:25 PM
But, the planet. TEH PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE'RE THE PLANETEERS! YOU CAN BE ONE TOO - CAUSE SAVING OUR PLANET IS THE THING TO DO!

Lulz.

brandondeleo
08-25-11, 12:27 PM
The power is yours! :histeric:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpXM9bj-WPU

Stingroo
08-25-11, 12:33 PM
LOOTING AND POLLUTING IS NOT THE WAY! HEAR WHAT CAPTAIN PLANET HAS TO SAY!

Good god. That show was cheesy even by 1990s standards.

brandondeleo
08-25-11, 12:38 PM
Good god. That show was cheesy even by 1990s standards....and that's saying something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNhdQRbXhc

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 03:30 PM
p00p

M5eater
08-26-11, 08:32 AM
Is it really so bad? How many of you have spent $$$$ on things most people would consider ridiclious for your car. I think all this MPG rush stuff is ridiclious past 30-40mpg due to diminishing returns, but it's also necessary to a point, and if you think about this as someone's hobby and something that keeps them busy, I don't see it being any different than someone throwing a few thousand into a maggie 2300.

Stingroo
08-26-11, 08:45 AM
Fair point, honestly.