: TPSM Learning Procedure

caol
08-23-11, 09:30 AM
Hi all !

As I'm looking for second set of winter wheels (orginal rims + sottozeros) there came up
the question about tire pressure sensors. I searched the forums and the manual but found
no satisfying answer.
The manual says there is tire learning tool required (?), forums says you only have to
lower the tire pressure to get the sensor recognized. What is correct for my 2011 Vagon ? :(

As in Switzerland snow falls soon (not now, we have temperatures in the low 90's :cool:)
I look forward to your replies.

Greez, Caol

tedcmiller
08-23-11, 03:31 PM
Lowering the tire pressure until system beeps has always worked for me. But I only have a 2009 CTS-V, not a 2011. My wife's 2004 DTS required magnets, but all of my CTS-V's and her 2008 DTS works on the pressure system. I never heard of a "tire learning tool."

Tedboss1
08-23-11, 04:46 PM
You can find TPMS Sensor Matching procedure in the owners manual page 10-77

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2011_cadillac_cts_owners_manual.pdf

baabootoo
08-24-11, 12:12 AM
The Wagon is like the others, inflate or deflate until it beeps, then to the next one.

caol
08-24-11, 01:30 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for your help, I would be glad if I could rely on the meaning that it only requires to reduce the tire pressure
to "learn" the tpms.
According to the actual manual on www.cadillac.com there is the following on page 10-78:

5. Place the relearn tool against
the tire sidewall, near the valve
stem. Then press the button to
activate the TPMS sensor

???

Any other tried the pressure lowering method on their '11 models ? (and it worked ?)

Greez, Caol

EricVonHa
08-24-11, 03:35 PM
The TPMS re-learn procedure is as simple as turning the key onto the "accessory" mode; press both the lock and un-lock keys on the remote simultaneously, and then go to the LF wheel and continously drop the air pressure of the tire until the horn beeps (once).

The wheel sequence is LF-RF-RR-LR.

Each time the horn beeps; move to the next tire.

If the horn does not beep within 12-15 seconds; release the valve stem for a second and then start to release air again.

You'll know you're calibrating the correct corner of the car each time because the turn signal indicator for the wheel to be programmed will be "on".

If a particular sensor will not program; you can skip it to see if other sensors will report ok. The reason I mention this is because the system requires that you start with the LF wheel. Well, if the LF sensor is not reporting at all; you'll need to go to the next wheel. Basically, if the LF wheel doesn't report; it'll cause you to think that the system isn't working at all. This is why I suggest trying various wheels if the LF doesn't come on-line right away.

In any case, be sure no other TPMS cars are nearby while doing this procedure and if a sensor fails; walk away from it for a while and put some more air in the tire. Turn off the ignition of the car and re-start the procedure. If a particular wheel sensor never reports-- then, more than likely, the sensor is dead. Time for a replacement.

baabootoo
08-24-11, 04:01 PM
I only add air, in case it takes a while. Since the pressure is so low to start with, it might get too low during this. After they relearn each location, I let it back out to set the base pressure.

caol
08-25-11, 10:14 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback ! In the meanwhile I know the whole process in and out..
Just to make sure, so there is NO Relearn tool required to set the tps on the '11 models, Correct ?

Thanks, and enjoy your rides !

Greez, Caol

baabootoo
08-25-11, 01:09 PM
Nope, only if the air in/out fails.

Torxila
08-25-11, 07:45 PM
Just like to add, the park brake should be set 1st, turn key to "run position" but do not start car, proceed with the "air letting" as stated, LF-RF RR-LR.
A horn honk happens after each sensor registers with the final LR givving 2 honks confirming a complete (all 4) reset. I have a 2011 V coupe.

I just go to the dealer who does it with his RESET TOOL, takes about 3 minutes in the drive through.
George

cdog533
08-26-11, 04:32 PM
To replace a sensor, do they need to remove the wheel and pull of the tire? I ask because one of mine is not reading.

If they need to PULL wheel/tire, then I'll have
- impact marks on the wheel around the lug nuts on on the face where the jammed the impact in
- a big scratch on the rim from the tire machine (S.O.P.)
- nicks/scratches all over the rim from them banging it around (mandatory)
- and a mistorqued wheel with the wrong air pressure in it

And then I'll have to do this relearn at home cause dealer will mess it up.

Maybe I should just leave it.