Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Too hot cat converter?

674 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  N0DIH 
#1 ·
Today, after a 20 mile trip, when I got out of car, I have noticed unusual heat wave coming from the driver side of the car. I touched all the rims, thinking the brakes could be dragging - nothing. There was no heat wave on the passenger side.

Later I realized that it could be driver side cat converter... I have recently replaced driver side AC Delco plugs with Iridium NGK and the original wires with AC Delco. I did notice the resistance of the new wire set was much higher that the old one...

Now, because I did only the driver side, I am curious if that replacement could cause rich condition and too hot cat converter... I do not feel any power loss.

I hate tune-ups! The car was fine, what the hell I decided to replace the plugs and wires!

I have planned a 500 mile road trip. Is it safe to drive like that?

See less See more
#3 ·
NGK is OEM plug for a lot, if not all 3800's (L67's), sold thru AC Delco. They are very good plugs.

#5 ·
I made a 200 miles trip with no problem. stopped in the middle of it, opened the hood and did not feel like the driver side cat was excessively hot. Probably I have overreacted the other day, some light breeze could create a heat wave from the exhaust system which I associated with problematic cat by mistake. Thanks for all suggestions, gents.

#6 ·
Get under car and look and see if the cat case is bluish like it got too hot, it might still have been going nuts, and easily can damage the substrate inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.