: Got my V back from Livernois; HOLY $&!# :D

GTPprix
08-22-11, 01:50 PM
Most of you who have known me for any length of time know I do my own work and tuning (among other things) as I enjoy it; itís almost therapeutic. As of late my free time has been basically nonexistent with long hours at work, tons of house renovations and our first child on the way. That said I REALLY wanted to mod my CTS-V which put me in a bit of a bind however thatís when my friends at Livernois came to my rescue ;)

I told them what I wanted to accomplish and which mods I wanted to work with and they came up with a package deal so enticing that for the first time in my life I would drop my vehicle off to someone else and let them do EVERYTHING. While admittedly I was a bit nervous the boys did NOT disappoint one bit, in fact if you simply get a shop tour youíll see what Iím talking about they have everything under the sun to make whatever you need for a performance car. Also of note, every car they take in gets a really cool plastic wrap on the front end to keep the paint safe. Having a Black Raven V Iím sure those of you who know how finicky that paint is will agree thatís a good thing!
Now Iíve had lots of fast cars/heavily modded cars and I wanted to go a different route with this one, knowing how much power can easily be made on a boosted car I figured weíd start with the basics:

Air Raid Intake Ė I was on the fence about this intake but after looking into it I really liked the design, fit and finish.
Livernois 2.55Ē Upper Pulley Ė I LOVE This thing, it looks completely stock!!!
NGK TR6 plugs Ė For obvious reasons plus my wife works at NGK so itís a plus!
Corsa Sport Exhaust Ė Canít have a fast car with whisper quiet mufflers.
Dyno Tune Ė Well obviously it needs that too!
LS7 Throttle Body - Stock

What can I say? Livernois turned the car around incredibly fast so I could meet other obligations I had with the car and the power exceeded my expectations given my lackluster baseline. We ended up with 551 RWHP (SAE) on the fourth hot pull and a torque curve most people would kill for. This thing made over 450 lbs/ft to the tires from ~1800 RPM to 200 RPM shy of the limiter! Assuming a 20% drive line loss (most of us seem to be around that or 19.1 as someone who has compiled lots of dynos once told me ;)) thatís roughly 688 CHP. I have ZERO doubt that a cold pull not in 90+ Degree ambient would produce 700+ CHP.
Driving this thing is amazing now, I can finally relate to you guys with similar mods; itís a rocket! I can make stock boost levels at half throttle LOL Where before I had to REALLY prod the throttle to get the tires to break loose in first gear I can now burn the tires with ease if I choose to and on the highway its like a cruise missile it just keeps going. I honestly think this thing is as fast as my Z06 which is quite an accomplishment with the most basic of bolt ons.

In the mean time Iíve adjusted my cluster shift indicator to match the new rev limiter and speed at which the engine revís up and Iím super happy with everything so I had to share my experience; thanks to Andy, Dan, Rick and Dom at Livernois for everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN49LmwkM1U

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/gtpprix/ctsvdyno.jpg

FastKat
08-22-11, 02:04 PM
Wow, that's a huge jump from stock!

Is the LS7 throttle body bigger than the throttle body (LS3 I think?) that comes stock on the car? For some reason I thought they were both 90mm, but I could definitely be wrong.

GTPprix
08-22-11, 02:13 PM
The LSA TB is actually a Truck Throttle Body, I believe its somewhere between 84-86MM IIRC so you get a couple MM increase plus many people port it and the snout I however did not.

Ryan, Monroe, LA
08-22-11, 03:13 PM
Wow, that's a huge jump from stock!

Is the LS7 throttle body bigger than the throttle body (LS3 I think?) that comes stock on the car? For some reason I thought they were both 90mm, but I could definitely be wrong.

Where did you get your LS7 TB? Any idea where to purchase one already polished and ported?

How did you decide on changing the upper pulley instead of the lower? That's a heck of gain you saw there. VERY impressive for such simple mods.

GTPprix
08-22-11, 03:17 PM
I got my LS7 TB from Livernois they stock them, I'm sure they could port them as well. I also believe KDI sells them ported and ready to go as well. The upper was an easy decision, I dont plan on going really far with the boost and it was considerably cheaper to do it that way.

kirbyCTSV
08-22-11, 04:33 PM
Where did you get your LS7 TB? Any idea where to purchase one already polished and ported?

How did you decide on changing the upper pulley instead of the lower? That's a heck of gain you saw there. VERY impressive for such simple mods.

this will give u ballpark what they go for...i think lingenfelter ports them for another ~100 or so.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12605109&Store_Code=LPE&search=ls7+THROTTLE+BODY&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

thebigjimsho
08-22-11, 11:00 PM
I know the Livernois guys have been showing V builds on the SHO forums...