: Router/Modem/Network issue. need help please

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 12:15 PM
im having some issues at work with our router. it has been this way for a while but has never been a big issue until now.

we use at&t dsl
static IP
we have a motorola modem/gateway combo
he have 2 PCs one printer and a security DVR connected to it.

the modem seems to allow a maximum of 5 connections to it. this is not a hardware/software limitation since ive seen it allow more than that.

normally this limitation is ok because the 4 devices in store that need to be connected stay powered on.

naturally my coworker and i use smartphones, i also of course carry my tablet to work. The first one to get to the store in the morning gets to use the wifi for the day since once you connect, the router will not "forget" your wifi device for the rest of the day. again normally not an issue, we just race to the store in the morning.

ok so last night the power went out. for some reason, every device except my coworkers computer came on. so when i arrive we have 3 devices connected. i connect my tablet which makes 4. my coworker arrives and his phone autoconnects which makes 5. when he boots his comp it tries to connect to no avail. turning off our devices doesnt help due to the router "remembering" us for the rest of the day. we cant turn off the printer because our operations rely on it, obviously we cant disconnect the comp, and we cant disconnect the security dvr.

i know we have some network techs in here and im beggin you pleeease help

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 12:38 PM
the limit of five is something that can be set in the settings ... it's the number of ip addresses that it will divy out as devices connect

dhcp settings is where you will find it...

it is probably set to give out addresses from 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.1.5
or something like that

if you can connect to the motorola box that will give you access to these settings

a workaround would be to manually set you ip address on one or both of your PCs to something just a couple ip addresses higher than where you're at now

i can help with this if you want

i actually have a GoToAssist account and can remotely connect to you to show you how if you need ...

(my night job is this kind of stuff)

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 12:42 PM
dang thats pretty cool

problem is, ive tried the default 192.168.1.1 and all usual variations of it, including .254

i tried going to cmd grabbing the info from ipconfig and using the ip and even default gateway but i still cant get into modem settings

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 12:44 PM
how would i let you connect and would you steal my identity?

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 12:49 PM
Look up gotoassist ... it's legit

by citrix

what IP is your pc using? go to the command prompt and type ipconfig

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 12:52 PM
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 74.168.148.69
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 74.168.148.65

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 12:54 PM
Look up gotoassist ... it's legit

by citrix

what IP is your pc using? go to the command prompt and type ipconfig

i know its legit i was jokin about the identity theft. i was asking how to let you connect to me

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 01:36 PM
Ah

well with gotoassist basically i send you a link and you accept the software install ... takes about a minute

and we're off and running

but based off of that ip address it looks like at&t is managing your IPs on their end, not on the router

you may have to call them up and see
it could be that you only pay them for 5 IPs

vincentm
08-22-11, 01:50 PM
ipchicken.com, copy and paste that and send to chris here, it'll be the IP address that your ISP has sent,your modem can allow up to 50 devices, DHCP scope on it is pretty large, i work in IT, what it has built in is NAT (Network Address Translation) which uses a LAN scope of IP's to hand out to each device connected to it (hardware firewall). Let me know if i can be of assistance.

vincentm
08-22-11, 01:52 PM
Ah

well with gotoassist basically i send you a link and you accept the software install ... takes about a minute

and we're off and running

but based off of that ip address it looks like at&t is managing your IPs on their end, not on the router

you may have to call them up and see
it could be that you only pay them for 5 IPs

Possibly could be an IP limit set by the ISP. There is a way to trick the modem/ISP into handing out seperate ISP IP's for each device, not legal, but doable.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 01:57 PM
(i dont really know the terminology for this stuff 100% so hopefully this makes sense)
we had a router fail last year and when the new one came in we just hooked it up and ran with it. at that time the dhcp server just handed out IP's and everything worked well. we could connect multiple devices (had 10 connected at one point) and everything ran well.

Our DVR security relies on having a certain IP (for remote logging in i suppose) so of course that wasnt working. The website we use to activate phones from checks for an ip, but as long as the router has that ip we're good. for example, if i were to go home and try to login from my desktop or laptop i wouldnt be able to. if i bring my laptop to work and connect to wifi i can login, even if the ip assigned was 192.168.x.x.

the printer would also work perfectly.

of course the dvr security not working was a big issue so we called the security guy and he called at&t and they had him go through some settings in the router.

after that we were limited again to 5 IP's but the security worked. I asked him to ask them if we would be limited to 5 devices and they swore we wouldnt

youre probably right about only paying for 5 static IPs but is there a way to run a combination? Static for the ones that need it and the randomly assigned ones for the ones that dont care?

as it is, the PC's are set to "obtain an ip address automatically" but the ips they get assigned seem to be from the pool of 5

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 01:58 PM
ipchicken.com, copy and paste that and send to chris here, it'll be the IP address that your ISP has sent,your modem can allow up to 50 devices, DHCP scope on it is pretty large, i work in IT, what it has built in is NAT (Network Address Translation) which uses a LAN scope of IP's to hand out to each device connected to it (hardware firewall). Let me know if i can be of assistance.

http://ipchicken.com/images/green.gif
Name Address: adsl-074-168-148-069.sip.ilm.bellsouth.net

Remote Port: 1834

Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/13.0.782.112 Safari/535.1

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 02:08 PM
ip config on your machine should give a different ip address than when you go to ipchicken.com (if you were behind a firewall/router/nat)

since they both show the same this must be something wrong w/ the config on that new modem/router box you got and at&t is giving you out the 5 IP addresses and the modem is not doing any NAT or DHCP - if it was you would be getting 192.168.x.x addresses not the 74.x.x.x address you are getting now

vincentm
08-22-11, 02:11 PM
(i dont really know the terminology for this stuff 100% so hopefully this makes sense)
we had a router fail last year and when the new one came in we just hooked it up and ran with it. at that time the dhcp server just handed out IP's and everything worked well. we could connect multiple devices (had 10 connected at one point) and everything ran well.

Our DVR security relies on having a certain IP (for remote logging in i suppose) so of course that wasnt working. The website we use to activate phones from checks for an ip, but as long as the router has that ip we're good. for example, if i were to go home and try to login from my desktop or laptop i wouldnt be able to. if i bring my laptop to work and connect to wifi i can login, even if the ip assigned was 192.168.x.x.

the printer would also work perfectly.

of course the dvr security not working was a big issue so we called the security guy and he called at&t and they had him go through some settings in the router.

after that we were limited again to 5 IP's but the security worked. I asked him to ask them if we would be limited to 5 devices and they swore we wouldnt

youre probably right about only paying for 5 static IPs but is there a way to run a combination? Static for the ones that need it and the randomly assigned ones for the ones that dont care?

as it is, the PC's are set to "obtain an ip address automatically" but the ips they get assigned seem to be from the pool of 5

There might be a way, if the MAC address of the one(s) that need static are sent to the ISP (AT&T). But i don't think they'll be able to. One way might be to get a switch, uplink to the modem and see what the devices get, but simultaneous broadcasting of static internet address and DHCP internet address(s) might not be feasible from a single device, in this case your modem.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 02:15 PM
i know this sounds stupid but, what if, instead of the one final device being a phone or tablet, we hooked up another router to our router.

then from that router we ran anything we wanted to
http://files.sharenator.com/xzibit_meme_7219_Wtf_am_i_reading-s510x334-157605-580.jpg

vincentm
08-22-11, 02:19 PM
i know this sounds stupid but, what if, instead of the one final device being a phone or tablet, we hooked up another router to our router.

then from that router we ran anything we wanted to

Chain linking routers won't work,in your case as chris noted DHCP and NAT is turned off. it will bump heads with the other one and they'll cancel each other out. You might be able to bridge em in the web config of the device(s).

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 02:23 PM
meh. ill leave it alone. Itll give me an excuse to not do anything today (ill let my coworker use my comp, how generous huh?)

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 02:23 PM
thanks for the inputs :)

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 02:35 PM
Yeah, your setup isn't the normal simple setup so i would let at&t fix it - at least you'll have the free time to wait on hold today :/

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 03:23 PM
good thing my playbook is picking up the wifi's