: Hurricane Irene

Lord Cadillac
08-22-11, 01:26 AM
Watch out...

Playdrv4me
08-22-11, 01:35 AM
Looks pretty disorganized and far out for now. Still a wide cone of uncertainty.

The-Dullahan
08-22-11, 05:29 AM
Yawn. I hear about these things all the time. When I first moved to this wretched "Florida" place, we had three really big ones come right over the house. Naturally, I set out a chair to watch and was rather displeased with the results. Snow storms now...Those are entertaining, especially when your parents get stuck halfway to the hospital and have to face the realistic possibility that their son is being born in the backseat of a Deville.

The problem with Hurricanes though is when the bastards go the wrong way and hit someplace that really isn't set for that type of weather and I would never wish that upon anyone, anywhere.

Playdrv4me
08-22-11, 06:04 AM
I always found that Tampa seems to be in some eternal bubble of hurricane protection. Every time we prepared for the damn things to come that way, they skirted by just south, or just north. A friend of mine got so tired of it he started out heading to any bar that was open on hurricane nights rather than sitting at home. And while I drove underneath a young tornado coming home from Washington on I-70 in Kansas, I have yet to ever see one actually touch the ground even with all the time I've lived right in the middle of Tornado Alley.

thebigjimsho
08-22-11, 10:39 AM
Another gorgeous day in New England...

Submariner409
08-22-11, 10:56 AM
The 0900 NHC 5-day track has IRENE staying a cat-1 hurricane as it slides along the entire Florida East Coast. This, even at ~75 mph, is not good.

Hover over and click on each icon for more info and tracks.

www.nhc.noaa.gov

(http://www.nhc.noaa.gov)

Lord Cadillac
08-22-11, 01:31 PM
This hurricane is going to be crazy but it's not going to hit Florida.

Submariner409
08-22-11, 01:47 PM
The high pressure (cold front) that I'm pushing down from MD is gonna help you guys out............

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 01:54 PM
...and another gorgeous hot and dry day over here on the west coast... Hahaha

vincentm
08-22-11, 03:21 PM
...and another gorgeous hot and dry day over here on the west coast... Hahaha

Yea, only a few months out till the black ice warnings start being sent out...

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 03:56 PM
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2011/300x200_08221720_directhit.jpg

see the dark red, that's labeled 'highest' ???

yeah, that's me...

but we will wait and see on thursday/friday to get a better idea of the real track... we're just too far out right now

mberisha
08-22-11, 04:09 PM
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2011/300x200_08221720_directhit.jpg

see the dark red, that's labeled 'highest' ???

yeah, that's me...

but we will wait and see on thursday/friday to get a better idea of the real track... we're just too far out right now

Good luck and wish you the best.....go get the plywood from Lowe's and Home Depot NOW! Ohhh...and don't forget the beer!

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 04:19 PM
yeah, we're ready... i guess

Lord Cadillac
08-22-11, 04:24 PM
When this storm makes landfall, I'm guessing a Category 3...

Submariner409
08-22-11, 04:47 PM
Sal, Pray for Charleston - they don't need another Hugo. I lived on Isle of Palms on and off over 17 years and the home I last owned was pushed 100 yards west by Hugo's storm surge - several years AFTER I had sold it and the new owner had dropped the cheap Federal flood insurance..........

Chris, You and the salesmen need to do some sort of kinky "hurricane dance" and hope the cold front northwest of you pushes IRENE off the coast............

Every 6 hours the NHC is bending the track a bit further east..................

Stingroo
08-22-11, 05:05 PM
Hope you guys on the NC/SC coast make it out okay. Been there done that many times.

It will be interesting to see what all the out of state students in Jacksonville do "OMG TEH HORRORCANEZ!#!$@%$#!"

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 06:15 PM
yeah 'roo... i know what you mean ... we've got 25,000 students in town between UNCW and Cape Fear CC ... it's bad enough without any bad weather :)

sub... i think we were doing too many rain danced from may-mid august... then it started raining. and it basically hasn't stopped since... we get breaks now and then

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6352/photostorm2.jpg

it's looked like that outside for about two weeks now... and now that the ground is all saturated we've got a hurricane coming ?? great!

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 06:18 PM
yeah 'roo... i know what you mean ... we've got 25,000 students in town between UNCW and Cape Fear CC ... it's bad enough without any bad weather :)

sub... i think we were doing too many rain danced from may-mid august... then it started raining. and it basically hasn't stopped since... we get breaks now and then

it's looked like that outside for about two weeks now... and now that the ground is all saturated we've got a hurricane coming ?? great!Having people that are not familiar with the area is fun when the seasons change. Most of our students here at Central come from the west side (greater Seattle area- wet and mild all year.) and they straight up DIE when winter hits. This side of the mountain gets 15 below zero with feet of snow. Lol. I love seeing the looks on those poor kids' faces.

Saturated ground and a hurricane... sounds like a recipe for a wonderful time...

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 06:35 PM
Saturated ground and a hurricane... sounds like a recipe for a wonderful time...

exactly what happened when Floyd ripped thru (back in 2005?)

Destroyer
08-22-11, 06:48 PM
I always found that Tampa seems to be in some eternal bubble of hurricane protection. Every time we prepared for the damn things to come that way, they skirted by just south, or just north. A friend of mine got so tired of it he started out heading to any bar that was open on hurricane nights rather than sitting at home. And while I drove underneath a young tornado coming home from Washington on I-70 in Kansas, I have yet to ever see one actually touch the ground even with all the time I've lived right in the middle of Tornado Alley.I remember maybe 8 years back and I forget the name of the Hurricane. Anyway it was supposed to hit the Tampa area. Friend of mine grabbed his kid and ran to Orlando calling me crazy for not going with. Didn't hit with hurricane force but it hit bad enough, funny thing was that it went to Orlando, not Tampa. :)

The-Dullahan
08-22-11, 06:54 PM
Good luck and wish you the best.....go get the plywood from Lowe's and Home Depot NOW! Ohhh...and don't forget the beer!

Plywood? My windows already have that "glass" stuff. It's waterproof, I'll be fine.

The only damage I ever suffered is one of my masks shook off the wall, because it wasn't properly hung and it shattered into a bajillion pieces. I made a new one to replace it and viola!

Hurricane Francis: 0
Chamus The Reaper: 1

Stingroo
08-22-11, 07:13 PM
We had impact resistant glass in all our windows at our house in Deerfield Beach. It was fun to sit in the back room and watch the debris from Wilma fly past the big bay windows.

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 07:18 PM
Have you guys seen this hurricane-proof house? I'm an architecture buff, so I am familiar with it. It's absolutely fascinating.79305

Stingroo
08-22-11, 07:20 PM
That's an awesome looking house.

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 07:23 PM
It was built using solid cast concrete, oriented away from the wind and aerodynamically shaped, it has bulletproof windows, and the foundation is lifted more than 10 feet off of the ground to prevent swell flooding in addition to it's construction on a small hill. It's right on the beach. I don't remember the specific location, but I am 90% sure it's Florida.

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 07:24 PM
Pensacola, maybe.

Submariner409
08-22-11, 07:43 PM
NHC just moved the projected landfall, as a Major hurricane (>110 mph) to the NC/SC border. Hopefully the building H dome over the middle-Atlantic states will prevail and the storm will be pushed further offshore, BUT the big Dismal Swamp fire in VA/NC could use a downpour...............

77CDV
08-22-11, 07:48 PM
Another reason to stay in the dry, sunny west.

orconn
08-22-11, 08:35 PM
Another reason to stay in the dry, sunny west.

Dream on! Those torrential Pacific storms that come barreling through when El Nino is present are as bad as the hurricanes on the East Coast. The Gulf hurricanes may be a different story.

Every region of the country has its' own set of nateral disasters. As we used to say " California has five seasons, flood, drought, fire, earthquake and riot!"

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 08:36 PM
i'll take hurricanes over earthquakes... at least you have some warning with a hurricane

orconn
08-22-11, 08:48 PM
i'll take hurricanes over earthquakes... at least you have some warning with a hurricane

Having been in every major earthquake in Southern California since 1947, I can honestly say I'll take an earthquake over a tornado any day. I think it is what you don't know that you fear the most!

Jesda
08-22-11, 08:55 PM
Tornados are beautiful, stunning, amazing works of nature.

Earthquakes are like sitting on a washing machine. Meh.

orconn
08-22-11, 09:07 PM
Eartquakes and tornados due share one thing, if you are at the epicenter of an earthquake, or in the direct path of a tornado ...... you will certainly wish you and your posessions were somewhere else!

thebigjimsho
08-22-11, 11:48 PM
We get snow. I like snow and snow can be dealt with. Other than the rare tornado and ultra rare hurricane, we have it best...

Ranger
08-23-11, 12:03 AM
Tornados are like bullets. They have to hit you. Even close is a miss. Earthquakes are like bombs. Close counts.

ryannel2003
08-23-11, 12:10 AM
Looks like it could be another Fran... especially if it heads straight towards Wilmington which is where it's headed at the moment. We could sure use the rain in New Bern and Greenville, but without the headaches of flooding and wind damage. NHC is predicting a landfall as a Cat 3.

RippyPartsDept
08-23-11, 12:11 AM
so close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and hurricanes ... got it

RippyPartsDept
08-23-11, 12:20 AM
http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109.gif

now predicting cat4 over grand bahama on thursday night ... i'll get interested then...

also, on another note, my friend's house was built in 1924... 87 years later the thing is still standing even though it is under and surrounded by trees (mostly pecans - the area used to be a pecan farm... you don't notice it casually, but if you know to look you'll notice that all the big old pecan trees are lined up in rows throughout the neighborhood)

figure that one out - coastal fishing community with a pecan farm along the tidal creek half a mile from the ocean... but whatever, i digress
i'm just up the road with less pecan trees (only one but a couple long leaf pines) and i'm on higher ground... so i'm probably all set too

(although this would be a good excuse to pack up the cadi and go on a nice road trip to boone, asheville, and the great smokey mountains... but realistically that's probably not going to happen either)

Ranger
08-23-11, 12:46 AM
so close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and hurricanes ... got it
:yup:

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 01:01 AM
I've been through my share of earthquakes, having lived in SoCal my whole life. Earthquakes are fun. The most common incidents in Southern California are fires (by far), flash floods, and landslides.

I remember when Katrina hit. I lived in Montclair, California, and my middle school teacher at the time was from New Orleans, where his family still resided. I remember him getting a phone call and breaking down in class. His family refused to leave, and their property was completely destroyed.

Ranger
08-23-11, 01:06 AM
Every region of the country has its' own set of nateral disasters. As we used to say " California has five seasons, flood, drought, fire, earthquake and riot!"
If California isn't burning or shaking, it's sliding into the ocean.

orconn
08-23-11, 01:17 AM
If California isn't burning or shaking, it's sliding into the ocean.

Yeah, but it's a helluva ride!

Submariner409
08-23-11, 04:52 PM
NHC now has IRENE going ashore up toward the NC Outer Banks and continuing as a 2 hurricane at the mouth of the Chesapeake: I REALLY want her to go well east of here..................

RippyPartsDept
08-23-11, 06:32 PM
i'm thinking it's going to go well east of you... probably come closer to us...

(crossing my fingers for no landfall)

btw - ocracoke island has been evacuated today ... looks like they'll be the closest to the center of that storm on the outer banks (as you were saying)

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109_5day.gif

hueterm
08-23-11, 07:52 PM
Earthquakes are fun.

Really? Enlighten us...:shifty

brandondeleo
08-23-11, 08:33 PM
As long as they aren't damaging, earthquakes are fun. They're thrilling. It's like riding a roller coaster without a roller coaster. Lol

orconn
08-23-11, 09:32 PM
^^^Never thought of them as fun, but ques if you are a young kid with not much in the way material goods at stake, the thrill could be considered fun. It took years for many Southern Californians to recover from the Northridge Quake, several of my friends lost their homes and many more were forced to find new ways of getting around the damage caused to infrastructure. And of course there was the surcharge to the sales tax which went into effect after the disastrous northern California quakes which destroyed so much in the Bay Area, and was left in place to help with the costs of Southern California's need to replace its' destroyed infrastructure.

A small but illustrative of the losses suffered by individuals was the total loss of my mother's antique glass collection which had been valued at well over $100,000. and was not able to be insured against earthquake loss at a reasonable cost. Even this minor kind of loss, which my mother shrugged of at her 83 years of life, was not a fun event to experience. And literally hundreds of thousands of folks suffered similar kinds of losses.

It is interesting to note the after each major earthquake, California looses population for several years after its' occurrence.

77CDV
08-24-11, 03:38 PM
Dream on! Those torrential Pacific storms that come barreling through when El Nino is present are as bad as the hurricanes on the East Coast. The Gulf hurricanes may be a different story.

^^^Never thought of them as fun, but ques if you are a young kid with not much in the way material goods at stake, the thrill could be considered fun. It took years for many Southern Californians to recover from the Northridge Quake, several of my friends lost their homes and many more were forced to find new ways of getting around the damage caused to infrastructure. And of course there was the surcharge to the sales tax which went into effect after the disastrous northern California quakes which destroyed so much in the Bay Area, and was left in place to help with the costs of Southern California's need to replace its' destroyed infrastructure.

A small but illustrative of the losses suffered by individuals was the total loss of my mother's antique glass collection which had been valued at well over $100,000. and was not able to be insured against earthquake loss at a reasonable cost. Even this minor kind of loss, which my mother shrugged of at her 83 years of life, was not a fun event to experience. And literally hundreds of thousands of folks suffered similar kinds of losses.

It is interesting to note the after each major earthquake, California looses population for several years after its' occurrence.

I've lived in SoCal all my life, and I've never experienced an El Nino that even came close to what we see of the worst east coast hurricanes. As for earthquakes, noticable ones are quite rare, though small ones are happening all the time all over the state. I prefer earthquakes to hurricanes, tornados and such simply because earthquakes just happen. You're not worrying about them coming. The lemmings that desert the state after a major quake don't understand that it's going to be a while before another one of equal or greater intensity hits. The Northridge quake was almost 20 years ago now, so another like it is due any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XypVcv77WBU

Sevillian273
08-24-11, 08:57 PM
Worrying is quite beneficial. If I hadnt worried about the hurricanes that came through here in 04', I'd have spent 16 days without electricity, food, clean clothes, or drinkable water. I'll take these slow moving thunderbeasts over just about anything.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

77CDV
08-24-11, 11:04 PM
True, but hurricanes last for hours and hours. The longest earthquake I've ever experienced lasted just about one minute. Didn't know it was coming, then it was there, then it was gone. Kind of like a sharp slap in the face. Of course, there are aftershocks, but you expect those, so no biggie. You just get out the dust pan and broom and clean up. Then get back to your tan. :)

Stingroo
08-24-11, 11:07 PM
Hurricanes are pretty much an all-day event. That's the worst part about them honestly.

77CDV
08-24-11, 11:21 PM
Exactly. Before the earthquake, it's a sunny, beautiful day. After the earthquake, it's a sunny, beautiful day. And except for the worst of them, all you need do is straighten some pictures on the wall.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/electricink/Keep%20Spending/keep_calm_and_carry_on.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 12:30 AM
Another gorgeous day in New England. No tornadoes, no earthquakes, no hurric...

wait, wut? Time to get some milks and breads...

Lord Cadillac
08-25-11, 03:05 AM
Irene...

Playdrv4me
08-25-11, 06:17 AM
We get snow. I like snow and snow can be dealt with. Other than the rare tornado and ultra rare hurricane, we have it best...

Desert Southwest would be my choice. Cold weather results in suicide and children.

Playdrv4me
08-25-11, 06:24 AM
Irene...

I've been looking at some cars down that way (Charlotte). I hope they still exist this weekend...

Stingroo
08-25-11, 08:30 AM
Better move your hunt to FL. :lol: Our cars will be safe.

CIWS
08-25-11, 08:46 AM
It's been a warm summer, so I bet she gets a lot of energy from those warm(er) waters.

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 10:26 AM
Desert Southwest would be my choice. Cold weather results in suicide and children.Negative on 1. Positive on the other.

Massachusetts is the 13th happiest state. For good reason. Our weather is awesome 10 months out of the year. Summers are warm, not terribly hot and humidity is mid-range. Springs are so welcoming. Autumns are cool, crisp and fun. Boston is alive in the spring and the fall. In the summer, it's the place to be.

As for winter, snow is fun from December to early February. From Valentine's Day to St. Patrick's Day, the weather can be dreary and winter can drag. But that's it. I love winter otherwise. Most here cope very well and the cold brings many sunny days. Daylight doesn't differ much from Boston to the south. There isn't enough daylight in Key West in the winter, nevermind Boston.

And anyone in the country would die for the weather we've had the last 3+ months. It's been perfect.

As for children, I get a kick out of the abundance of winter babies. Added darkness does lead to more darkness activities. teeheehee

Heck, I was born in July, myself...

RippyPartsDept
08-25-11, 10:49 AM
charlotte probably won't see much more than some high winds (not even hurricane force... they're too far inland)

Submariner409
08-25-11, 11:07 AM
Being in the upper Chesapeake Bay, I DO NOT like what I'm seeing - not one bit - Anybody notice, this morning, that the computer models in Wunderground are moving the storm back west, toward the NC mainland ?? That will spell a real big mess for the Outer Banks, SE Virginia, and the Bay.

www.wunderground.com/tropical/?index_region=at

Either click on the IRENE icon or scroll down past the sea temp map and use the individual thumbnails for latest info.
(http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/?index_region=at)

RippyPartsDept
08-25-11, 11:32 AM
I just LOVE the Wundermap over there...

here's a nice view of the hurricane using the Wundermap (http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=29.59257&lon=-75.87158&zoom=6&type=hyb&units=english&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=1&sat.num=8&sat.spd=50&sat.opa=89&sat.gtt1=109&sat.gtt2=108&sat.type=IR4&riv=0&mm=0&hur=1&hur.wr=0&hur.cod=1&hur.fx=1&hur.obs=1&hur.hd=0&hur.mdl=0&hur.opa=70&hur.img=0&hur.opa2=90&hur.gpce=0&fire=0&tor=0&ndfd=0&pix=0&dir=0&ads=0&dd=0&tfk=0&ski=0&stormreports=0)... it's animated so it will take a bit to load up all the frames

gdwriter
08-25-11, 03:22 PM
Tornados are beautiful, stunning, amazing works of nature.As long as you don't get hit by one. I think a lot of people in Joplin and Tuscaloosa would disagree with you vehemently.

gary88
08-25-11, 03:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/C7hew.jpg

orconn
08-25-11, 03:52 PM
Well, I hope we are not in for a replay of Isabel. Richmond really took it tough, and the tidewater areas were really hit hard. Richmond has done a lot of work to correct its' flooding problems, but only time will tell if it was enough to really make a difference. These older, poorer cities on the East coast just have not had the incite or the money to really engineer their flood control systems as a consequence their is a high rate of property losses and even human losses when really big storms hit.

In contrast, Southern California came to grips with their flooding problems (which had been extreme) in the 1930's by building an extensive flood control system capable of handling the runoff of the the very heavy rains brought by the Pacific storms caused by El Nino. It is for this reason that inspite of amazing inches of rainfall you do not see the flooding and property damage when these huge wet storm come onshore in Southern California.

Back in the Summer of 2004, when we moved from Northern Virginia to Richmond, we were hit by several very strong tropical storms, the strongest of which was Gaston. While our house sits on a hill about 250 feet above the James River bottom, the 13 inches of rain that we did receive in a 15 hours period did take out a substantial earthen bridge that crosses a stream on our property. The damage to other areas of Richmond was in the billions of dollars due to flooding. Several people also lost their lives as a result of the poor flood management in the city. Damage from that storm can still be seen around the city. Damage to woods adjacent to Interstate 64 which runs through the Tidewater area to Norfolk is still very evident in the masses of horizontal trees to be seen.

dkozloski
08-25-11, 04:56 PM
NHC just moved the projected landfall, as a Major hurricane (>110 mph) to the NC/SC border. Hopefully the building H dome over the middle-Atlantic states will prevail and the storm will be pushed further offshore, BUT the big Dismal Swamp fire in VA/NC could use a downpour...............

It wouldn't make a bit of difference. We've had a peat fire burning in the swamp across the Tanana River from town for at least the last thirty years. It smolders under the snow and forty below zero weather all winter and starts up again every spring.

orconn
08-25-11, 05:04 PM
It wouldn't make a bit of difference. We've had a peat fire burning in the swamp across the Tanana River from town for at least the last thirty years. It smolders under the snow and forty below zero weather all winter and starts up again every spring.

Sorry to hear that, the smoke from this fire has really been bother my breathing over the last few weeks. I, and a lot of other emphysema sufferers were hoping a good side of the hurricane would be to put out the fire.

thebigjimsho
08-25-11, 05:25 PM
Peet's coffee is pretty awesome.

Submariner409
08-25-11, 05:28 PM
We head over to the marina tomorrow to put an extra set of slack lines on the boat and move all lines up the pilings by 18 inches. During ISABEL I walked out the pier during the surge and the stern waterline of our boat was about 1' below eye level. I'm 6'2" so at that time the surge was 8.5' above mean high water.

This one is going to be no fun - no fun at all. Glad I have plenty of chain saw gasoline.......

If this thing skirts up the coast and stays near Cat. 2, Atlantic City, New York, Long Island, CT, Cape Cod = true disaster.

RippyPartsDept
08-25-11, 05:29 PM
this will probably be worse than isabel... and people here are starting to worry since we haven't had a big one since bertha and fran both hit back in 1996

dkozloski
08-25-11, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear that, the smoke from this fire has really been bother my breathing over the last few weeks. I, and a lot of other emphysema sufferers were hoping a good side of the hurricane would be to put out the fire.
Ordinarily a peat bog is forty or more feet thick and can be burning all the way to the bottom. What complicates matters is that the fire can spread entirely below the surface. A fireman walking in an unburned area can break through the surface into twenty or thirty feet deep hot ashes. Efforts here usually consist of dumping water on the hot spots with a helicopter. Efforts to dig out the fire looked like a project to replicate the Grand Canyon. The military started the fire so they are the ones out there fooling around with it.

JimmyH
08-25-11, 05:44 PM
so does this mean Chicago is going to be getting some torrential rain in the next few days?

Stingroo
08-25-11, 05:55 PM
this will probably be worse than isabel... and people here are starting to worry since we haven't had a big one since bertha and fran both hit back in 1996

Worst hurricane name ever. I mean, really? They were just asking for it that year.

Jesda
08-25-11, 06:36 PM
As long as you don't get hit by one. I think a lot of people in Joplin and Tuscaloosa would disagree with you — vehemently.

And they would be wrong. Like most things in nature, tornadoes are simultaneously destructive, beautiful, frightening, stunning, and impressive.

gdwriter
08-25-11, 06:42 PM
I don't disagree with you. But I still wouldn't want my house to be in its path. The brother of one of my friends had his house utterly destroyed — as in there wasn't a brick or 2 by 4 left of it — during the monster tornado that hit Oklahoma City in 1999. The only thing that saved his family was they had a basement.

gdwriter
08-25-11, 06:49 PM
Orconn, you better hope Richmond doesn't get hit by Irene, because as was the case with the Joplin tornado and this week's Virginia-centered earthquake, Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) has declared any federal disaster aid has to be offset by cuts elsewhere (http://www.rollcall.com/news/eric_cantor_would_offset_earthquake_aid-208313-1.html). The only good thing is that since he's now telling his own constituents he won't help them unless he gets his way, they might recognize what a slimy snake he is and vote him out of office.

Jesda
08-25-11, 07:04 PM
I'm surprised VA isn't running a huge budget surplus from its draconian speed enforcement.

A lot of newer homes go beyond just having a basement. They have reinforced lower-level interior shelters stocked with supplies. It can supposedly get pretty hot and humid inside of one, but at least its guaranteed protection.

orconn
08-25-11, 08:16 PM
I'm surprised VA isn't running a huge budget surplus from its draconian speed enforcement.

A lot of newer homes go beyond just having a basement. They have reinforced lower-level interior shelters stocked with supplies. It can supposedly get pretty hot and humid inside of one, but at least its guaranteed protection.

Virginia is running a budget surplus of over 500 million dollars!

Destroyer
08-25-11, 10:19 PM
I am delighted with the path Irene has chosen. I hope NYC gets slammed! :yup: Of course, I don't mean any real damage or casualties but I do want to see a bus tipped over, flooding and so forth. I have family in Manhattan and Long Island that fear Florida because of hurricanes (and insects/gators). Got a buddy from Jr. HS that was gonna come visit but decided not to when he heard a hurricane was possibly coming to FL. Guess what bitch? It passed us and is coming to you!!!! LMAO. :D:lildevil::yup:

drewsdeville
08-25-11, 10:28 PM
Earthquakes? Hurricanes? Nice and quiet over here in the upper Midwest :) What do we get here, some T-storms, some snow, MAYBE a weak tornado every couple years?

The only time it sucks over here is when you bitches by the water can't keep your weather by you where it belongs, and your goofy-ass pressure systems disrupt the rest of us.

Loving the sunny, 75 degree temp, 50 degree dew point weather we've been having in recent weeks. Looks like it continues for the next forcasted week as well.

Suckers :stirpot:

Submariner409
08-25-11, 10:33 PM
Public forums are fun: Every now and then pus squeezes out of a pimple - or two.

Ranger
08-25-11, 11:08 PM
so does this mean Chicago is going to be getting some torrential rain in the next few days?

Nope. Just a cooling NE wind.

Sub, I just looked at google maps. Looks like you are a lot closer to the ocean than Orconn, but I wouldn't trade places with either of you. Hope you guys have everything tied down and buttoned up tight.

Is your boat too big to get out of the water? I would imagine it has to take one hell of a beating being tied up in a dock. I see the Navy sent all their ships out to see to get them out of dock.

I wish you both the best of luck.

Submariner409
08-25-11, 11:23 PM
KAREN L is 38' overall, wood. For this one she's better off on her bottom. Tomorrow will be extra lines and a (dual) battery check plus close the hatches. She survived an 8'5" storm surge in ISABEL and she'll weather this one better than us down here in the trees - for this one the wind will be the equalizer.............

This will NOT be fun. IRENE has the punch to bring forth the true meaning of "Shock and Awe".

Gonna lay in some Evan Williams and extra ice tomorrow............not much else can be done...........

Watch the reports from Cape Hatteras and Pamlico Sound tomorrow evening.

ORCONN's gonna get wet and blustery - piece of cake.

Ranger
08-25-11, 11:33 PM
Good luck. Post if you have power, but I suspect that will be unlikely. We'll be waiting to hear from you.

thebigjimsho
08-26-11, 12:10 AM
with bait in breath.

thebigjimsho
08-26-11, 12:11 AM
I'd worry about the hurricane but I'm currently peeing my pants with this wicked thunderstorm dropping bolts all around me. No Thunderstorm warnings of any kind, either...

Stingroo
08-26-11, 01:08 AM
So much for that New England weather, eh?

:coffee:

RippyPartsDept
08-26-11, 01:45 AM
um...

Submariner409
08-26-11, 09:45 AM
Chris is gong to have an interesting Saturday, we'll have a lousy Saturday midnight-Sunday early.

New England - at least from Long Island to Cape Cod - is going to get its ass kicked beginning Sunday morning.

RippyPartsDept
08-26-11, 09:56 AM
we're ready.... generators, gas, batteries, liquor, beer, food stuffs, ice, boardgames, candles

now the only thing for me to worry about is if a tree falls on either my house or my car

don't know what i would do then :noidea:

RippyPartsDept
08-26-11, 10:01 AM
not sure if they will take the surf cams down, but if they stay up (and their internet connection stays up) it would be a good way for you hurricane voyeurs to get in on the action

http://www.surfchex.com/
http://www.wect.com/category/66683/first-alert-camera-at-wrightsville-beach

RippyPartsDept
08-26-11, 10:45 AM
http://vortex.plymouth.edu/sat.irE4_an.gif

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 12:16 PM
Looks like North Carolina is starting to freak out... I am TOTALLY jealous of the surf Florida is getting right about now... It makes me miss SoCal.

The Tony Show
08-26-11, 01:00 PM
A lot of people are going to be devastated by this storm. Their "freaking out" is completely warranted.

thebigjimsho
08-26-11, 01:03 PM
So much for that New England weather, eh?

:coffee:Naw, we get our thunderstorms at night. Yesterday was another good day, some clouds but good temps around 80. Today is GORGEOUS again. It's 81, almost no humidity and not a cloud in the sky. Monday is also looking to be similarly gorgeous.

Unless a similarly pathed hurricane was a Cat 5 down there, we'll never see anything more than a Cat 1 or tropical storm/depression. I remember Gloria and that was 90mph gusts, max. I may have some branches down and some wetness in my basement. That'll be it. We had our flooding of the century last year and we got by that.

JimmyH
08-26-11, 02:02 PM
There was a soft wind blowing here earlier, but it stopped.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-26-11, 02:05 PM
A lot of people are going to be devastated by this storm. Their "freaking out" is completely warranted.

im putting the hardtop on...

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 02:28 PM
I didn't say it wasn't warranted. to an extent, at least.

thebigjimsho
08-26-11, 02:31 PM
Maybe I'm too calm.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-26-11, 02:54 PM
Maybe I'm too calm.

drink a redbull bro

orconn
08-26-11, 03:29 PM
I didn't say it wasn't warranted. to an extent, at least.

You are sounding like a self absorbed California teenager ..... ignorant and naive about the risks and dangers faced by others.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-26-11, 03:45 PM
another guy was joking about hoping the hurricane hits so he doesnt have to come to work.

i would much rather work than have a single day off that cost me even more in damages

Stingroo
08-26-11, 04:26 PM
Honestly I'd rather see it hit FL than you guys on the rest of the East coast.

We're at least prepared for shit. Ah well, didn't work out that way this time.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-26-11, 04:34 PM
i dont think anyone can ever be fully prepared. this is mother freakin nature we're talkin about. just when you think your walls are fortified to the fullest, mother nature flicks a pinky at it and it crumbles like a sand castle

Stingroo
08-26-11, 04:36 PM
Well, no, maybe not fully prepared, but most of S. FL has been hammered so many times that a lot of the buildings are up to code for this type of stuff.

Not so much for most other places.

orconn
08-26-11, 04:57 PM
I know what you mean, Roo, it is kind of like the West Coast and earthquakes. The Midwest and East are very unprepared for what could happen should a more powerful earthquake hit either area. The amount of unreinforced masonry buildings still in use in either region would lead to a very heavy loss of life. Even more com temporary buildings here in Virginia suffered far more (and they are only now discovering the extent of the damage) damage than they would have if constructed to a higher level of earthquake preparedness. People in either region, unless they have lived on the West coast, have no idea of the degree to which government units (schools, cities and counties) have prepared for the eventuality of a major earthquake.

I hope that this recent Mid Atlantic earthquake will serve as a wakeup call for the region to being retrofitting their riskiest buildings with preventive measures that may help to preserve life in a major earthquake.

Submariner409
08-26-11, 06:59 PM
The 911 system here in Queen Anne's County is doing a "reverse 911" auto calling: Kent Island and a right fair section of the western (water) part of the county is under a non-enforced mandatory evacuation. We'll look at the possibility tomorrow by noon - I really hate to lock up and walk out............

This bitch won't be the same as TS ISABEL: This one is going east of here, so wind and rain is the danger, not bay storm surge. (But, as predicted, the news media is having a real field day, hyping up the GPOP into a frenzy.) The coast dwellers have been driving west all day - a LOT of traffic.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-26-11, 07:08 PM
The 911 system here in Queen Anne's County is doing a "reverse 911" auto calling: Kent Island and a right fair section of the western (water) part of the county is under a non-enforced mandatory evacuation. We'll look at the possibility tomorrow by noon - I really hate to lock up and walk out............

This bitch won't be the same as TS ISABEL: This one is going east of here, so wind and rain is the danger, not bay storm surge. (But, as predicted, the news media is having a real field day, hyping up the GPOP into a frenzy.) The coast dwellers have been driving west all day - a LOT of traffic.

better that than ignoring the warnings and then bitching about being stuck in a flood

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-26-11, 07:33 PM
You are sounding like a self absorbed California teenager ..... ignorant and naive about the risks and dangers faced by others.

Sounds like every other teenager I've ever met. Myself included....

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 09:16 PM
You are sounding like a self absorbed California teenager ..... ignorant and naive about the risks and dangers faced by others.You are just on a kick of talking shit today, aren't you? I said they were freaking out. They are. They have a reason to be. Where did the insult come from that? Just because you're nearly a heptagenarian doesn't give you the right to disrespect anybody.

ejguillot
08-26-11, 09:21 PM
i dont think anyone can ever be fully prepared. this is mother freakin nature we're talkin about. just when you think your walls are fortified to the fullest, mother nature flicks a pinky at it and it crumbles like a sand castle

Only because most houses in the US are built like cheap wooden crap. Maybe if the housing stock wasn't built to absolute minimum code by the cheapest bidder, more of the houses would survive hurricanes and lower force tornadoes without flying apart like matchsticks. (This does not account for storm surge, which is dealt with by not bulding on a coast or flood zone.)

Exhibit A: take a good look at the way houses are built in the tropics. Cement blocks with rebar reinforcement and poured concrete to fill the hollow spaces (even interior walls are cement block), and a poured concrete roof. (The roof construction does have drawbacks, roof sealing to seal cracks is a steady business.) Big hurricanes come and go and the only people in shelters are those in flood zones or near a coast.

drewsdeville
08-26-11, 09:22 PM
You know what would also work for someone who has a hard time coping with the consequences from this stuff? Choosing not to live in high risk areas.

Submariner409
08-26-11, 09:53 PM
Looks like North Carolina is starting to freak out... I am TOTALLY jealous of the surf Florida is getting right about now... It makes me miss SoCal.

Quite the opposite: The East coastal "been here's" have a healthy respect for hurricanes and go about their business and preparations. It's the "come here's" who scream and shout and crash about..........and those are the news media darlings. Hysteria sells advertising; preparation and calm does not.

As I posted before, flooding and storm surge are not my problems in this event - because I live in heavy woods, trees are. Our county has jumped the gun on the evacuation thing.............sure, there will be power outages and whatever.........but the least of the Commissioner's worries is flooding, their stated reason for evacuation. Oh, it will get wet - but this is a different critter from ISABEL. A propane stove, small generator, 100# of ice, 75 gallons of fresh water, oil for the kerosene lamps and we're good to go. Been there, done that...............Now we'll see if I can chuckle come Sunday PM. (Oh, yeah...........400+ minutes of OnStar in the car..............)

"TOTALLY jealous"...............are you a Valley Girl ? Like............wow............bitchin'........... ......awesome !

What is the definition of "high risk area" ?

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 09:55 PM
I grew up in the valley that the term valley girl came from. Give me a break. Lol :histeric:

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 09:56 PM
...and bitchin'? Lol. I've never heard that one used spontaneously before.

Submariner409
08-26-11, 10:04 PM
:sneaky: You're probably too young..........:cool2:..........like.............. totally.

Stingroo
08-26-11, 10:04 PM
Like, oh my god, totally' bitchin'!

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 10:09 PM
Ohmahgod. Gag me with a spoon.

Stingroo
08-26-11, 10:12 PM
No way! I saw like, the MOST BITCHIN' SPOON EVAR the other day. Like oh my god.

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 10:13 PM
Ohmahgodbeckylookatherbutt

Stingroo
08-26-11, 10:14 PM
It is just SO big.

orconn
08-26-11, 10:16 PM
I grew up in the valley that the term valley girl came from. Give me a break. Lol :histeric:

I was under the impression you had lived in the Walnut Valley. Did you actually grow up in the San Feranado Valley, the original home the "Valley Girl." Not that it makes much difference, I've heard "Valley Girl" speech from girls from Chicago!

hueterm
08-26-11, 10:17 PM
It is just SO big.

You might want to add some context there...

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 10:19 PM
I was under the impression you had lived in the Walnut Valley. Did you actually grow up in the San Feranado Valley, the original home the "Valley Girl." Not that it makes much difference, I've heard "Valley Girl" speech from girls from Chicago!I was born in the San Gabriel valley (Glendora) and lived back and forth between the SG valley and the Inland Empire growing up.

Stingroo
08-26-11, 10:21 PM
You might want to add some context there...

It's okay. Even without context it's not as bad as getting rear-ended and pooped on. :lol:

Destroyer
08-26-11, 10:22 PM
I love Hurricanes, very exciting. Come on Irene, lets get NYC!! :)

hueterm
08-26-11, 10:27 PM
It's okay. Even without context it's not as bad as getting rear-ended and pooped on. :lol:

Jesda got pooped on...not me...

brandondeleo
08-26-11, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZN565uhnGc

RippyPartsDept
08-26-11, 10:39 PM
so, back to our regularly scheduled programming

irene is bearing down on cape fear as i type

the boats are out of the water, the generators are at the ready, and the booze is flowing

the corner dive bar around the corner is having a great night (even for a friday) and the winds haven't quite picked up yet (we're getting some gusts now and then but nothing serious or steady yet)

i'm over a my neighbor's house (mentioned earlier in this thread that it was built in 1924) and we're just hangin out watching jersey shore (his girl is from 'the shore') and going about our business as we would on any other friday ...

i'll report back in the morning ... maybe some pictures or video if there's anything interesting

good luck to those of you who will be in irene's path after she passes us over in the next 12-18 hours

Destroyer
08-26-11, 11:33 PM
It is just SO big.Thats what she said. :)

Stingroo
08-26-11, 11:34 PM
:highfive:

RightTurn
08-26-11, 11:35 PM
Batten down the hatches, Rip.

Stingroo
08-26-11, 11:38 PM
Yeah, Chris. I hope everything stays firmly planted as it should.

RippyPartsDept
08-27-11, 12:38 AM
2am - 6am seems to be the 'red zone' timeframe here... we'll see

thx

drewsdeville
08-27-11, 12:58 AM
What is the definition of "high risk area" ?

In this case, an area where the effects from hurricanes occur more frequently than elsewhere.

Otherwise, Hueterm's rear end. The risk for damage increases when within proximity of old men.

Stingroo
08-27-11, 01:05 AM
Also Duckyy's rear end too.

Jesda
08-27-11, 01:48 AM
Poor little Saab needs therapy.

/saab story

Stingroo
08-27-11, 01:51 AM
It was violated.

Jesda
08-27-11, 02:14 AM
Did everyone remember to tie down their lawn chairs?

77CDV
08-27-11, 02:35 AM
Just because you're nearly a heptagenarian

The correct term is septuagenarian.

I was born in the San Gabriel valley (Glendora) and lived back and forth between the SG valley and the Inland Empire growing up.

Dude, like, everybody totally knows the real Vals are, like, from the San Fernando Valley, and, like, totally hung out at, like, the Galleria. San Gabriel Valley, I'm so sure, like, gag me with a chainsaw. :)

RightTurn
08-27-11, 03:22 AM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z117/sarahw422/political-pictures-house-ike-wtf-wa.jpg

gdwriter
08-27-11, 03:27 AM
^^^ Artie's house after Hurricane Rita.

thebigjimsho
08-27-11, 03:56 AM
This thread is teh funny...

Submariner409
08-27-11, 06:26 AM
Woke up early.........coffee..........pack the trash, will head for the landfill @ 0800, then to Baker's liquors, then to the marina for 100# of block ice. All businesses in the county west of the 50/301 split (near water) have been told to close by 1200 today. The 3 families down here in the woods will ride it out. Supposed to get the worst at around midnight tonight. Of course we would like to see the storm move another 30 - 50 miles east, but that's probably not going to happen.

Chris is probably up to his ass in alligators right now.

(Remember: When you're up to your ass in alligators, the original plan was to drain the swamp.)

ben.gators
08-27-11, 06:41 AM
Sub, why do you need that much ice? For keeping meat/foods frozen?

ben.gators
08-27-11, 06:59 AM
Based on initial estimates this Hurricane will cost over ten billion dollars! This is exactly what we needed in this crappy economy.....
I hope at least it doesn't cause any casualty.

Submariner409
08-27-11, 10:34 AM
Sub, why do you need that much ice? For keeping meat/foods frozen?

DelMarVa Power is locally famous for its lousy power delivery - it takes exactly NO natural disaster or thunderstorm to knock out power at the drop of a hat. We're 70 miles west of the Atlantic coast, so we're looking at 8 - 10 hours of winds at 40+ overnight. Trees on power lines doesn't work...........

So, yes, the ice is poor insurance for 12 hours of no electricity - and if a few chips fall into a glass, then the only way to preserve them is 2 oz. of bourbon.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-27-11, 11:32 AM
Ok guys, update for my area

I slept like a baby, everything was relatively calm when i went to sleep.
Woke up around 530 walked to the living room to look out of the windows, still calm just rainy.
woke up again around 7:00 still calm just rainy and a bit more windy
jumped in the shower, jumped back out checked the news. apparently the hurricane made landfall around 8am in kill devil hills
drove to work, emptier than usual highways plus hardtop on for the first time in a while made for an eerily quiet experience
a few friends and families further north have had outages, but my neck of the woods seems just fine
one of our stores (kinston) partially flooded,from the door to about 6 feet in got wet

other than that everyone and everything is ok so far

the hurricane apparently was downgraded to a cat 1 soon after landfall

RightTurn
08-27-11, 12:56 PM
^^^ Artie's house after Hurricane Rita.

Actually it was "Ike" in 2008. That used to be an entire subdivision of homes; only one was left standing. (Oh, and that is not my house.)

Submariner409
08-27-11, 01:04 PM
Showery, gray, blustery from the NE. Warm, oppressive humidity. Our family of hummingbirds is doing constant inflight refueling at the back yard feeder.

orconn
08-27-11, 02:27 PM
The front edge of of the outer edge of Irene is now making itself felt here in Richmond. Squall lines are bringing heavier winds and very heavy rainfall. We are supposed to miss getting the full brunt of the hurricane here, but it remains to be seen how Richmond will weather the very heavy rain expected. Like, Sub, our biggest concern is from falling tree limbs and trees as we also lived in a highly wooded area. The neighbors have told us that they took considerable damage from trees coming down during Isabel in 2003.

My wife's sister and brother both have homes in Cape May, NJ. Although inclined to be "I'll weather it out" types, both have evacuated to their folks house in Woodstown, much farther inland and on higher ground. Even so they will still suffer heavily from the winds and rain.

The way it sticks out into at the end of New Jersey, Cape May County, with the Atlantic on one side and the Delaware Bay on the other, has not been hit with the full force of a hurricane in the last fifty years. I am sure there will be extensive damage this time as there has been so much building since the 1960's. The county has had an involuntary evacuation declared and hope fully this will keep the loss of life to a minimum.

The worst of the storm is due be here from 4 PM his afternoon till 4 AM tomorrow morning.

Submariner409
08-27-11, 04:24 PM
The worst of the storm is due be here from 4 PM his afternoon till 4 AM tomorrow morning.

About the same here, with max wind to 45 - 55 at midnight - higher gusts. Wonderful. Right now it's NE at 20 - 30, raining like stink. The house gutters and yard drainage swails are already working overtime and we've only had 2" of the 8-9" forecast. We're making hourly reports to the regional NWS office in Mt. Holly, NJ. The barometer has started heading for the basement. 29.68" and falling. Fortunately, high tide will occur late this evening, when the wind backs to N: that will hold down any storm surge in the upper Bay.

According to Wunderground the wind speed in Wilmington, NC (Chris/Rippy) is down to 10 - 15 mph..............

www.wunderground.com/wundermap/? (http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?)

Stingroo
08-27-11, 04:30 PM
Meanwhile, it's 101 degrees here....

RippyPartsDept
08-27-11, 04:41 PM
so, power's out all around town in spots (my neighborhood is half out - including mine and my neighbor where I stayed last night)

... i put up a youtube vid of a quick walk around his house after i woke up... nothing major

turn your volume down (the generator is a bit loud as the video starts)
http://youtu.be/E2EbYAvB0GY

also, Bianca (my '99 Deville almost had a tree trunk land on her last night... photos in the next post)

we stayed up until about 8 am (i had to stop drinking at 4am to make it)

there were basically no strong winds in our neighborhood until the 5-8am
we were playing spades all night and trash talking Irene because at one point around 2-3am it seemed like it was all over... it had stopped raining and the wind had died down to almost nothing
the highest winds might have been just above a cat1 but nothing seemed to sustain for any long period of time

there's still some windy weather out there today but it's nothing big

ben.gators
08-27-11, 04:45 PM
Chris, good to hear you are well!

RippyPartsDept
08-27-11, 04:49 PM
see i moved my cadillac away from some trees (see it in the background?)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1701/photo1qzr.jpg
and here's where i had it parked up until about 10pm
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6316/phototsu.jpg
close call, huh?

OffThaHorseCEO
08-27-11, 04:58 PM
so, this is our busiest day in a few days, menial stuff such as "hey whats this charge on my bill for?...411?...i didnt know 411 cost money...o it does?...well, i never even call 411"

walmart is also packed with people buying school supplies, i went because we ran out of paper...

OffThaHorseCEO
08-27-11, 05:03 PM
You know what would also work for someone who has a hard time coping with the consequences from this stuff? Choosing not to live in high risk areas.

on the other hand, almost every part of the country has some kind of unavoidable natural disaster. If its not earthquakes its sandstorms or snowstorms or tornadoes or hurricanes or tsunamis or mudslides or rivers overflowing or avalanches or volcanos or drought

dkozloski
08-27-11, 05:13 PM
If you're not living on the edge, you're not living.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-27-11, 05:37 PM
so naturally, people on facebook get all biblical anytime a standard natural occurence comes around. The rare earthquake we felt the other day convinced some of them that jesus himself was on the way to north carolina.

yesterday i spotted this post, and naturally i replied with that first reply. A friend of mine saw it today and continued the ribbing. it was hilarious while it was happening, just thought id share

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/fire-1.jpg

Stingroo
08-27-11, 05:47 PM
Sounds like someone just got a free ride on the trollercoaster.

orconn
08-27-11, 06:00 PM
Flooding of major traffic arteries is taking place (including sections of Interstate 95) in and around Richmond. Four to six inches of rain expected with a probable additional 4 to 6 inches possible. Winds have picked up significantly with gusts of 65 mph occurring in our area west of the city proper.

We have power, but apparently there are over 250,000 homes without power in greater Richmond. One death has been related in Norfolk. I would expect more injuries and fatalities as folks continue to ignore the "stay at home and don't drive" warnings.

We've, apparently still got a long way to go before the "tropical storm" passes this area. So far it has been worse than forecasters were expecting this far inland.

ben.gators
08-27-11, 06:10 PM
on the other hand, almost every part of the country has some kind of unavoidable natural disaster. If its not earthquakes its sandstorms or snowstorms or tornadoes or hurricanes or tsunamis or mudslides or rivers overflowing or avalanches or volcanos or drought

I live in Arizona and we have no major natural disaster here! :D

Wait... I am moving to the middle of the ocean, Hawaii, in a few weeks.... Are we good with Japanese now? :suspect:

ben.gators
08-27-11, 06:13 PM
see i moved my cadillac away from some trees (see it in the background?)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1701/photo1qzr.jpg
and here's where i had it parked up until about 10pm
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6316/phototsu.jpg
close call, huh?

Wow, it was so close... Happy to see that your Cadillac dodged it... And I would be happier if that Corolla was a few feet to the left! :D just kidding... :D

Destroyer
08-27-11, 06:33 PM
I wish I was in the path of this one. So damn exciting!!!! A nice level 4-5 hurricane would suit me well. Hopefully it would take my house that I've been try to sell away. :)

orconn
08-27-11, 06:36 PM

Wait... I am moving to the middle of the ocean, Hawaii, in a few weeks.... Are we good with Japanese now? :suspect:

Did they get the problem with the Salt River fixed? When I used to fly into Phoenix there was a question as to whether the airport would be closed because the river had flooded taking out the bridges. Then there are the occasional mega dust storms. I realize the very high temperatures of an Arizona Summer aren't much to those who like living there, 110 degrees on a regular basis making your car so hot you can't touch the steering wheel without getting bisters. For me it was a little bit much.

Give me all the natural disasters that can befall Hawaii any day, at least when they are over it's a nice place to live!

Ben, when are leaving for Manoa?

ben.gators
08-27-11, 08:26 PM
Did they get the problem with the Salt River fixed? When I used to fly into Phoenix there was a question as to whether the airport would be closed because the river had flooded taking out the bridges. Then there are the occasional mega dust storms. I realize the very high temperatures of an Arizona Summer aren't much to those who like living there, 110 degrees on a regular basis making your car so hot you can't touch the steering wheel without getting bisters. For me it was a little bit much.

Give me all the natural disasters that can befall Hawaii any day, at least when they are over it's a nice place to live!

Ben, when are leaving for Manoa?

I never have heard anything about Salt river problem, so it may be fixed by now, or I may not have heard about it...

About Phoenix, yeah, no major natural disaster, but weather is so unpleasant for me that I don't care it's disaster free or not...

About Manoa, I have signed the offer letter, and will move there upon graduation, it should be something around mid September or so. I am having some difficulty in gathering all committee members in one place at the same time for my defense...:annoyed:

Submariner409
08-27-11, 10:54 PM
9:30 EDT.....Wind from NNE at 40 -55. Entire yard is now oak leaf green minced leaves, twigs, small tufts and 2" branches. Raining like stink - 3" in the last 1.5 hours (average of 4 gauges), total so far is 5.8". Highest winds expected to be at 0100 - sustained at 50+. Not bad for a NC beach dweller - impressive for this part of MD. IRENE has lost some punch over the NC/VA border beach area, but the MD, DE, and NJ beaches will catch hell. Major erosion. Neighbors across the road have a huge oak tree through the family room roof. The kids are freako. They're here now.

I have DESTROYER's last post ("I wish..") saved in a file. When [not if] he winds up in a real Florida Screamer I'm gonna shove it up his butt with great glee. I promise. What a pathetic, snot-nosed self-serving cowardly punk. Baby, you are so low that whale s**t on the bottom of the ocean looks like a star in the sky. Don't like it, loser ? C'mon up here and pitch in with cleanup, loser. We helped out in Gainesville some years back.............please return the favor, loser.

Rant over - gotta go put the boots on again and check the drainage....................(You're still a loser. How in hell do you sleep with yourself ?)

Jesda
08-27-11, 11:00 PM

Or crime, suicide, heart disease, and meth.

77CDV
08-27-11, 11:11 PM
Looks like the media did their usual job of overselling the event. In this case, that's a good thing. Gonna be a messy cleanup, but not nearly as bad as the worst that was possible.

RippyPartsDept
08-27-11, 11:21 PM
Hey Sub,
glad to see you're safe so far and that you're in good spirits!

Catch you on the flip side ... and watch out for winds after the rain ends... i think that's how one guys got killed in NC - by a falling branch in his own yard (cleaning up too early)

BenzCTS
08-27-11, 11:25 PM
Irene is BAD here in southern Maryland!!! I have trees down, 3 leaks in my house, satellite is out and I am out of beer!!!!!!!!!!!! The winds are crazy hard and the rain is really heavy

Jesda
08-27-11, 11:29 PM
Are you guys taking any pictures? (if its safe to do so)

Jesda
08-27-11, 11:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHXyUwXTYU

hueterm
08-27-11, 11:40 PM
Ok.....

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 12:04 AM

Wait... I am moving to the middle of the ocean, Hawaii, in a few weeks.... Are we good with Japanese now? :suspect:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Kathleen_%281976%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Kathleen_%281976%29

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 12:11 AM
It's pretty quiet here(no surprise). But we got socked with rain at 1:30PM today. While the eye was 500+ miles away! The first band of rain from Irene dropped about 1.5" of rain in 30 minutes!. Since then, it's been rainy off and on but not abnormally heavy stuff. When I wake up in the morning, I'm sure I'll see more stuffs.

Stingroo
08-28-11, 12:14 AM
You also may feel like P. Diddy.

YRMV.

orconn
08-28-11, 12:18 AM
The winds seem to have subsided a bit, the rain has definitely slow from the height of the storm 3 hours ago. The strength of Irene as its' outer rings passed by Richmond area packed winds that were stronger than the weather folks had anticipated. The news is reporting the usual flooding, but Chesterfield County where I am located has large trees down all over the place blocking streets and roads. We haven't had much word as to how the Tidewater area to out east has fared.

Our property, so far has been spared from any structural damage, but a large tree section about 12" in diameter and 35 feet long came down on a lawn section behind the house. Another large tree on the other side of the stream has also come down. Our closest neighbor was not as lucky, two seventy foot oak trees were blown over and are not now rest on the roof of his house. No way to know the real damage till day break.

Dominion Power is say there 397, 000 homes without power in Central Virginia and that many of them may not see power restored for over a week. Aside from momentary flickers we have have not lost power during this storm (thank God for underground utilities.

The storm is now moving in its' full force up the coast to Sub's neck of the woods, I hope the damage he has already sustained will be the extent of his losses.

I think with the light of day, tomorrow, the damage to the Mid Atlantic region will become fully apparent and it will be a long time before the region gets back to normal for many people. I hope the hurricane will continue to lose it strength as it continues up the coast and that we are spared the wreckage of property and loss of life this storm has the potential to bring.

Ranger
08-28-11, 12:46 AM
Glad to see you guys are still up and reporting in. Hang in there, it's almost over. Good luck.

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 02:44 AM
Well, I'm about to head up to bed but I know it'll be hitting NYC pretty early and we'll see the initial effects by then. It's raining moderately here and there is an eery super-light breeze.

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 03:47 AM
OK, I'm done for the night in the 3800 thread. So now I'm really going to bed and it's raining only slightly and there is no wind at all...

CIWS
08-28-11, 07:11 AM
I wonder if Jim has power about this time ?

dkozloski
08-28-11, 07:12 AM
A lotta wind and a lotta rain can make a big mess to clean up. It could be a lot worse. At least there is still something left under all the branches and trash.

dkozloski
08-28-11, 07:15 AM
Or crime, suicide, heart disease, and meth.
Or you could have your wife griping at you.

Submariner409
08-28-11, 12:12 PM
I'm baaaaackkkk! Sleepless night, and I'll admit - jangled nerves. Power was out from last eve at 1013 'till 0900 this morning. It's still blowing 25 - 30 from the W, but the rain (7.6" overnight) has stopped. Our yard, road, woods, everywhere looks like a giant green tossed salad. Everything from leaf chips to oak treetops with limbs as big around as your thigh - this will be chainsaw week and I'll burn IRENE in January :sneaky:. NO damage to the house................. Everything south of Rt.50 (a 3 X 9 mile chunk of island) is still without power. Friday afternoon there were convoys of out-of-state power company trucks headed toward the coast east of here - it's a real mess over there. Gonna be a long week - I'll probably wear out the starter cord on the rake. The house across and up the road - the one with the tree on the family room - a couple of good ol' boys with a big cherry picker lifted the tree off, in pieces, about an hour ago and nailed a huge tarp over the hole - about 10" X 12 feet. The kids are back at home, so we can relax a bit. Coffee.

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 12:44 PM
umm, coffee sounds good.

I wasn't uptight last night but I couldn't fall asleep until about 4:30AM as I kept listening for the winds to start. I woke up at 7AM to moderate rains and a light breeze. At 8AM, the same. I woke up after 9AM to a moderate wind and heavy rain. It's been a steady 20-30mph with some gust probably between 40-50mph. But, nothing big. I live on the SE slope of a hill. There is also I-190 that sits about 150 yards to my E and it sits depressed about 150 ft down with a large sound wall. I seem to be buffeted by many winds and only a directional wind that hits me right will affect me that much. Doesn't mean I haven't seen heavy winds, but it's much different than at the top of my hill. I could hear some heavy wooshes and would look up the hill and see trees bending but my yard was calm.

I had a branch about 10ft long and 3" in diameter fall in the heavy rain yesterday. There has been nothing of note that has fallen since then.

I do have some water in my basement as the slope of my hill leads to my property and there is a large puddle at the entrance of my bulkhead. I will try to see if I can fix that in the future, but, for now, the french drains in my basement are doing what they need to. Buying and building a new shelving system in the basement yesterday has become a wise move. I do get a little wetness during heavy rains and I had a lot of empty boxes as the result of moving into a new home. Everything in my basement is at least 2" off the floor and that should keep things dry and mold-free.

As I type, I'm hearing of sunshine on the Cape and Islands. It looks like Irene is really speeding up and dissipating quickly. Again, unless a hurricane take a typical path and is a Cat 4 or 5 as it hits the Carolinas, we'll never have anything more than light to moderate damage. Except for storm surges on the coast. But we don't have problematic and sensitive areas like much of the barrier islands in the Carolinas or Jersey...

Ranger
08-28-11, 12:48 PM
Good to hear from you Sub. Sounds like over all you came out in pretty good shape.

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 12:48 PM
Bad thing about DirecTV: heavy rains can affect the signal.
Good thing about DirecTV: you know when heavy rains are coming.

There are 2 channels of feeds that a DirecTV dish receives. Unfortunately, TWC is on the weaker band that has been hard to get. But my local channels are on the stronger one and I've been watching all morning. I tried to buy a AM/FM radio that runs on batteries but had to get a cheap alarm clock at Best Buy yesterday. At least it works. But I don't think I'll need it...

Ranger
08-28-11, 12:51 PM
Where are you Jim? You're farther north than Sub, right?

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 01:12 PM
Me Jim? I'm in Worcester, MA. I'll be east of the eye, which looks to sweep over Springfield, about 40 miles west of me. I'm well inland so I won't see the winds that the coast will get, but I should get moar rain. We've got about 4-5" of rain, in total, but should get another 2".

RippyPartsDept
08-28-11, 02:36 PM
glad to hear you're in good shape Sub!

my cadillac looked like it got a camouflage make over on yesterday... so did the rest of the city
as you said "a giant green tossed salad" ...

orconn
08-28-11, 03:55 PM
As it turned out Richmond and western suburbs got the heaviest winds from the storm that were experienced in Virginia. In my neighborhood there are trees down in many yards and several that are resting on top of houses. Our house came through without structural damage, but we have a tree section that came down (miraculously missed the house) and the remainder of the damaged tree that will have to come down, and another tree that came down on a different area of the property. The news is reporting that there are trees down all over Richmond as well as power lines, many streets and roads are blocked and it will be awhile before the city and county tree clearing crews get into the neighborhoods to clear streets, having to clear the more heavily traveled roads first.

I was amazed to hear trucks arriving at my neighbors house around seven this morning to begin removing the two very large tree that had fallen on his house. It was quite an armada, including a huge crane, two large cherry picker trucks and one large skip loader and a smaller one. Three and a half hours later they had removed the trees from the side and roof of the house, and while they left stumps and tree segments of these large trees in his yard, they had very definitely save the house from further damage. They quickly moved on to help other neighbors whose houses had suffered similar fallen tree damage.Amazing what skilled operators with the right equipment can do within a short amount of time!

While we never lost power, that cannot be said for over 975,000 residents of central Virginia. The number of homes, affected by Irene, is only second to the number of homes without power following Isabel in 2003. The various power companies supplying power to the region are saying that it could be two weeks before power is restored to all the homes and businesses.

So while it could have been worse, Irene was still no "piece of cake" for those in the Tidewater and Eastern Piedmont of Virginia. Unfortunately, as folks become more aware of the real damage caused by last week's earthquake, I think damage will be pretty substantial as buildings opened up by the earthquake suffer more water damage than usual from the storm.

Glad to hear Forums members seem to have weather Irene in fairly good shape. My heart goes out to those whose property was damaged, and know that we all face a week of heavy cleanup!

thebigjimsho
08-28-11, 05:57 PM
Yeah, central MA really got very little. There is some damage along the MA coast and plenty of boats broke loose and grounded themselves. And there are some trees down but very sparsely. Mostly trees that were dead or damaged previously.

However, western MA and much of VT are getting a lot of rain. And there is going to be some massive flooding. Some of the footage of Brattleboro, VT of flooding is impressive. Those areas are going to need some help...

neurotictim
08-28-11, 07:03 PM
Hampton Roads came out all right - Newport News got hit pretty hard, and some of the oceanfront at Virginia Beach is washed out, but otherwise it was thankfully uneventful. My power was out for about a hour, but the Dominion Power guys came right out and fixed the transformer, and we were good to go after that. Flickered quite a bit, but no permanent damage in downtown Norfolk. Got up this morning and experienced the beginning of a beautiful, if somewhat warm, day.

Frustrating to me are the people who's idea of getting prepared involved nothing more than pizza, beer, and cheetos. Now there are bunch of people on my Facebook feed who will ignore the warnings next time around, and be in real trouble if we get hit as hard as we expected with this storm. :sigh:

Either way, Norfolk/Virginia Beach area looks good.

Submariner409
08-28-11, 07:07 PM
Talked to #1 daughter who lives in Middletown, CT. Very wet this morning, windy, small tree branches down but she had electricity. The news pics of S. Long Island look like those folks got whomped. Cleaned up all day here..........tired.

FWIW, A Troy-Bilt 4-cycle leaf blower is truly worth its weight in gold. This puppy moves even small leafy branches and burns NO (straight) gas.

neurotictim, My oldest stepdaughter and family live in Ghent - just off Colonial. She said it was blowsy and wet there, and the cat would not come out of the basement, but they apparently did OK too. She said Norfolk opened all the public parking garages for people's cars from low-lying areas ???

Destroyer
08-28-11, 07:29 PM
That "hurricane" sucked. Epic fail!!!! It did exactly what I thought it would do. I was hoping it would wreak at least a little havoc in NYC but no such luck. Damnit! :(

MoistCabbage
08-28-11, 07:40 PM
I was hoping it would wreak at least a little havoc....

Strangely, so was I, makes for good stories later on in life.

dkozloski
08-28-11, 07:43 PM
Move along folks. Nothing to be seen here.

RippyPartsDept
08-28-11, 09:21 PM
power came back on today, quickly followed by the internet ... life is back to normal (for most) on cape fear

Destroyer
08-28-11, 09:57 PM
Strangely, so was I, makes for good stories later on in life.Irene had greatness in the grasp of her hand and let it go. The first hurricane in NYC since the 1800's and it was lame. :(

thebigjimsho
08-29-11, 12:05 AM
Strangely, so was I, makes for good stories later on in life.How about walking over to King Arthur's lounge and getting herpes. There's a story for you...

mberisha
08-29-11, 09:41 AM
How about walking over to King Arthur's lounge and getting herpes. There's a story for you...

ahhhh yes.....the gift that just keeeeeeeps oooooooooooon giving!

dkozloski
08-29-11, 11:27 AM
Or the canaryal disease twerpies. It's tweetable.

Argent1
08-29-11, 01:38 PM
If you're not living on the edge, you're not living.

I prefer.............."If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

RippyPartsDept
09-02-11, 06:10 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/28/article-2031075-0D9C7F9F00000578-40_964x1307.jpg

NC12 on Hatteras Island ...

news article about NC12 ('http://www.sfexaminer.com/news/2011/09/nc-12-love-hate-relationship-road')

Satellite imagery (large image) (http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/51000/51960/hatteras_noa_2011240_lrg.jpg)

Submariner409
09-02-11, 09:13 PM
Hatteras, Nags Head, Kill Devil and Duck are all beautiful and serene ...................but.

RippyPartsDept
09-02-11, 09:50 PM
maybe Destroyer should check out the real estate listings on the outer banks....

thebigjimsho
09-03-11, 12:23 AM
maybe Destroyer should check out the real estate listings on the outer banks....Nah, he shouldn't get within 500 miles of sub...

thebigjimsho
09-03-11, 12:27 AM
It's one thing for some barrier islands to get chopped up. But an entire state, like VT? That is craziness. If I've got no work for Monday, I may take a drive up there and get some pics...

RippyPartsDept
09-03-11, 09:32 AM
tbjs,

I used to drive NH/VT/NY routes 9 to get to college and back...
you should check out Wilmington, VT (weird coincidence, huh?) half way between Brattleboro and Bennington
they have the high water marks on the outside walls of the buildings in the downtown area as the elevation drops going into the downtown area
it was always weird to see because the river is so small and in this huge riverbed ... you would never think that it would ever come close to coming over the banks let alone getting as high up as the marks on the buildings show

http://www.bradblog.com/Images/WilmingtonInnVT_HurricaneIrene_082811b.jpg

http://www.bradblog.com/Images/WilmingtonInnVT_HurricaneIrene_082811a.jpg

thebigjimsho
09-03-11, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I know Wilmington well. My brother and I have gone to Maple Leaf Malt & Brewing Co a number of times.

I saw pics of Killington on the news the other day. To see all the major roads around there having major issues is impressive. Key roads all over VT...

Submariner409
09-04-11, 03:45 PM
Well, IRENE got in her last licks yesterday. Using a small 14" chain saw to remove several LARGE white oak branches that had been broken off and landed in a stand of small holly trees. Trimmed and cut my way back along one branch about 20 feet long when it flipped out of the holly trees and the 3" in diameter end spun up and slapped me in the right face and eye. Just like Sonny Liston, down I went: out for 30 - 45 seconds. Knocked my safety glasses into 3 pieces. Bulging eyebrow, purple swollen eyelid and abraded cheekbone. Had just a 1/4 second to throw the saw away from me. Click for the juicy details. Sleepless night. I feel like having a bourbon & water...........

orconn
09-04-11, 05:31 PM
I am very sorry about your mishap. I am hoping your recovery will be quick and as painless as possible.
A neighbor and friend of mine also had a chainsaw accident while clearing some fallen trees from his lakeside vacation home. The chainsaw "popped" on him and unfortunately hit him in the face cutting his cheek, knocking out some teeth and cutting his tongue. A handsome guy in his late forties, he will have to undergo reconstructive and plastic surgery, no to mention oral surgery.

About thirty years ago I rented a gas chainsaw to do some work on our yard in Los Angeles. Soon after starting to saw the chainsaw popped on me, I realized, then and their I was not up to using it and to it back to the rental house. If a job was tough enough to need a chainsaw I hired some who knew what they were doing to do it. Even so I have had my accidents doing jobs around the house!

Again, my hopes for a speedy recovery, Sub!

Ranger
09-04-11, 05:37 PM
OUCH! Looks like that sucker nailed good Jim. Glad to hear it was not worse though. Time to call it a day and have that bourbon & water. Ah, skip the water.

dkozloski
09-04-11, 06:32 PM
It looks to me like the cuckold hollered shutup and you thought he said standup.

Jesda
09-04-11, 06:52 PM
Damn. Looks like that bitch mother nature got a pretty good hit.

ben.gators
09-04-11, 07:51 PM
shit.. sorry to hear about this accident. However I am glad that it's not serious, it could be much worse than this...

thebigjimsho
09-04-11, 11:48 PM
Well, IRENE got in her last licks yesterday. Using a small 14" chain saw to remove several LARGE white oak branches that had been broken off and landed in a stand of small holly trees. Trimmed and cut my way back along one branch about 20 feet long when it flipped out of the holly trees and the 3" in diameter end spun up and slapped me in the right face and eye. Just like Sonny Liston, down I went: out for 30 - 45 seconds. Knocked my safety glasses into 3 pieces. Bulging eyebrow, purple swollen eyelid and abraded cheekbone. Had just a 1/4 second to throw the saw away from me. Click for the juicy details. Sleepless night. I feel like having a bourbon & water...........Good to know you're not a faux tough guy who has no need for safety glasses. I can only imagine what would've happened to you without them...

The-Dullahan
09-05-11, 05:57 AM
Ouch! I've had a few like that, just never from yardwork. Good thing you had your goggles on.

Hmm. Come to think of it, I have never worn goggles or glasses to do lawn work, albeit I usually use a machete and seldom need to break out the chainsaws, because there are no trees in Floridaland, just large herbs called Palm "trees" which have no branches. In fact...Why do I own so many chainsaws?

My Garage has a puzzling, albeit awesome chainsaw to goggle ratio.

I know a fellow who had a similar incident, save that he swung the chainsaw back and lost two fingers. (Gotta love Floridians)

mberisha
09-05-11, 06:06 AM
ahhhhh.....throw some dirt on it and walk it off......get back in the game.....

Seriously....any injury near your eye is scary sh*t.....glad you are ok.....

Submariner409
09-05-11, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words...........I put an ice bag on it, laid back in a recliner for a half hour after the accident, then sucked up half a Silver Sissy (Coors Light), went out and cut up the rest of IRENE.

Case closed.

Stingroo
09-05-11, 11:45 AM
Insert "That'll buff out" joke here.

Glad you're okay. Chainsaws can turn a regular job into a hell of an ER visit in a hurry.

Ranger
09-05-11, 01:36 PM
I've never given a second thought to picking up a chainsaw. You guys make me wonder what I don't know. :hmm: I have to confess that I never wear glasses either. Old school I guess.

thebigjimsho
09-05-11, 11:29 PM
tbjs, I used to drive NH/VT/NY routes 9 to get to college and back... you should check out Wilmington, VT (weird coincidence, huh?) half way between Brattleboro and Bennington they have the high water marks on the outside walls of the buildings in the downtown area as the elevation drops going into the downtown area it was always weird to see because the river is so small and in this huge riverbed ... you would never think that it would ever come close to coming over the banks let alone getting as high up as the marks on the buildings show http://www.bradblog.com/Images/WilmingtonInnVT_HurricaneIrene_082811b.jpg http://www.bradblog.com/Images/WilmingtonInnVT_HurricaneIrene_082811a.jpgTake a close look at the following pic and you'll see the new hash mark on the wall on the right... http://i52.twitgoo.com/2psk8pd.jpg

Aron9000
09-06-11, 02:02 AM
Sub, just tell everybody the other guy had to be put on a stretcher and hauled off to the ER.

Glad to see you still have all your digits and limbs, it could've been a lot worse.

Stingroo
09-06-11, 02:07 AM
Ha! I like the way you think Aron.

RippyPartsDept
09-07-11, 10:27 AM
tbjs... did you take that new pic?
pretty crazy...

my parents are good friends w/ some people in VT and I just got forwarded some emails between them..

Damage over Rutland County (http://wingsovermont.com/)

PicassaWeb Album #1 (https://picasaweb.google.com/106248902089577125293/August31201102#)

PicassaWeb Album #2 (https://picasaweb.google.com/106248902089577125293/August312011#)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYCbw2zXLk

thebigjimsho
09-07-11, 02:59 PM
tbjs... did you take that new pic?
pretty crazy...

my parents are good friends w/ some people in VT and I just got forwarded some emails between them..

Damage over Rutland County (http://wingsovermont.com/)

PicassaWeb Album #1 (https://picasaweb.google.com/106248902089577125293/August31201102#)

PicassaWeb Album #2 (https://picasaweb.google.com/106248902089577125293/August312011#)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYCbw2zXLkYeah, I took that pic on Monday. The amount of damage in VT is INSANE! I took 8A from MA into VT, onto 112 then onto 100. You couldn't drive more than a 1/10th mile without seeing washout, whether it be a driveway or a sinkhole or a guardrail.

VT100 totally disappeared in a washout in Wardsborough. The crews there took the smaller river rock and formed a passable lane. Once across, you had to get off 100 and take dirt roads to get to Jamaica, where there was another washout and a bridge out. You then had to go south on 100 and then take some back roads to get to 121 to 11 to then get back to 100.

Then, once you hit Ludlow, 100 was impassable as there were at least 4 spots where it was closed leading up to Killington.

I only had my Evo so the pics and vids I took weren't all that great.

MoistCabbage
09-07-11, 05:16 PM
Well, IRENE got in her last licks yesterday. Using a small 14" chain saw to remove several LARGE white oak branches that had been broken off and landed in a stand of small holly trees. Trimmed and cut my way back along one branch about 20 feet long when it flipped out of the holly trees and the 3" in diameter end spun up and slapped me in the right face and eye. Just like Sonny Liston, down I went: out for 30 - 45 seconds. Knocked my safety glasses into 3 pieces. Bulging eyebrow, purple swollen eyelid and abraded cheekbone. Had just a 1/4 second to throw the saw away from me. Click for the juicy details. Sleepless night. I feel like having a bourbon & water...........

JESUS SUB!!! Glad you're ok, hope it's healing quickly.

RippyPartsDept
09-07-11, 05:19 PM
:yeah:

remember you're drink can double as an icepack

Submariner409
09-08-11, 11:40 AM

remember you're drink can double as an icepack

Other way around - the nightly quart bag compress of ice/water also has a (small) measure of bourbon in it. I need to figure a way to securely insert a length of vacuum hose into the bag - long straw - then, when the bag's empty, up and at 'em.

The worst swelling is way down, no soreness, but I'm headed to the Johns Hopkins urgent care facility here in a few minutes: I'm concerned about the amount of red blood remaining in the white portion of my eyeball - pretty gruesome, but it has not affected my vision a bit.

RippyPartsDept
09-08-11, 12:16 PM
Got my fingers crossed for you... good luck w/ that Sub

MoistCabbage
09-08-11, 01:07 PM

gdwriter
09-08-11, 01:19 PM
Damn, Jim. That Irene sure is one mean bitch. Glad it's not any worse and hope it heals quickly.

Submariner409
09-08-11, 04:13 PM
All's good. Doc says for the smack I got he would have expected worse eyeball hemorrhage - "stick with ice bags twice a day and don't do anything stupid".

Retired Navy + retired Johns Hopkins + Medicare = $0.

Eat mo' possum !!!!!

RippyPartsDept
09-08-11, 04:26 PM
Eat mo' possum !!!!!

I do not recommend anyone take this statement literally... Jim has just returned from the hospital and is obviously under the effects of some sort of medication

pup, i'm looking at you :tisk:

orconn
09-08-11, 05:55 PM
Sub, if in the aftermath of this accident you should see "floaters" (floating dots or squiggles) in you eye sight, or you notice a hole or blind spot in your vision, see your or an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Any of these occurrences could be indicative of a detached retina, which can be fixed by immediate treatment. If left untreated for any length of time this could result in blindness in the eye.

I know I suffered a detached retina in each eye (at different times) two years ago and was fortunate to already have a relationship with opthalmologic specialist here in Richmond when the first eye's symptom showed up and got an appointment immediately. Both laser surgeries were highly successful and the prognosis is good for not having additional occurrences.

Ranger
09-08-11, 06:42 PM
"stick with ice bags twice a day and don't do anything stupid".

Does this doctor know you personally? :duck:

Submariner409
09-08-11, 07:24 PM
Sub, if in the aftermath of this accident you should see "floaters" (floating dots or squiggles) in you eye sight

I've had vitreous floaters (not many) for 40 years. The Navy kept a pretty good eye on me then and still does - because of my duty history I get a free complete eye exam and prescription (if needed) every year. Johns Hopkins Urgent Care Center just did a complete exam and field of vision test at 1400 today.

Ranger, He's an ex-Army pecker checker.