Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2002 Deville; Installing Vin Y Engine Into Vin 9 Car

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Caddy no laccn 
#1 ·
So I picked up a really nice 2002 Deville DTS, black on black in really nice shape. I bought it for next to nothing, the engine had been hydro-locked and it threw a rod through the block.

I now have the cradle pulled out, the blown engine out of the cradle, and the new motor (VIN Y) bolted up to my tranny and the cradle is almost ready to go back into the car. Before I go any further, I'm needing to know what to do about the cams.

Will I have any SERIOUS issues if I don't swap the cams over? I could care less about the 25hp gain from switching them, I just want to know if it will run OK. I'm still using the PCM native to the car. I would really like to avoid messing around with the timing components if possible, it looks like quite a pain to change those cams.

IF switching them over is absolutely necessary, could anyone give me a few pointers? timing has never been my strong suit.

#2 ·
From what has been stated, you will have driveability issues due to the different profiles of the intake cams.

If using the DTS pcm which probably uses the "9" cams, I would have switched them over before installing the engine.

I don't know how many miles were on your donor motor but valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, frt cover seal would have been the bare minimum I would have done before I swapped away.

If you had the motors out, swapping in the right cams would have only made sense to avoid driveability issues.......

#3 ·
Also, the final drive ratio is different....WAY different......
The Y motor is better at lower RPMs......
The cams CAN be swapped with the engine in the car, without removing the front cover, you just have to be very careful....there is a thread about somewhere on here......

you definitely want to swap out the cams though....

#5 ·
In a perfect world, yes it would be ideal to use the same engine. Unfortunately, where I live (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan), it's slim pickins around here. I bought the only used 2000+ engine in the area, which has 112,000KMS on it (around 70,000 miles) out of a 2000 Deville base.

I went ahead and swapped the intake cams. And yes, I changed the rear main seal, front cover gasket, and valve cover gaskets. The engine runs excellent, although I'm getting some transmission codes, and the car only has 2nd gear when in drive.

The codes are:

P1842: 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Low Voltage
p1845: Transmission Gear Ratio Output Circuit

The trans worked flawlessly before the motor pooched out. I've done some looking around and signs point to a bad ground. I sprayed the contacts of the trans plug with cleaner and plugged it back together, still no go.

There's 3 ground straps coming off the main harness, I couldn't remember where they all came off, so I bunched all 3 together and bolted them to the transmission. Tested the ground point and it's sufficient, so i don't see this being my problem.

I'm stumped.

#6 ·
"There's 3 ground straps coming off the main harness, I couldn't remember where they all came off, so I bunched all 3 together and bolted them to the transmission. Tested the ground point and it's sufficient, so i don't see this being my problem."

I wonder why they take the easy way out and just do it that way at the factory......;)

My guess is a bad transmission harness connection. Try unplugging that connection and cleaning it out well with "electrical component cleaner" (aerosol can)....both sides, and re-connect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.