: Lockpick Question

orange57
08-21-11, 09:13 PM
Hey guys,

So i'm a new STS owner, 05 with the Northstar w/o navigation. I've been reading all of the threads on the upgrade to the NAV for the car, which I plan on doing. One of the things i'm not clear on is the use of the lock pick for the navigation. From what I've read if you do not get the wiring harness pigtails with the Nav unit you need to buy the one for the GPS antenna. If i purchase a lock pick, will it have the connector for the GPS antenna? There by eliminating my need to source the GPS connector? It wasn't clear to me in the posts I read.

Thanks,

matt

orange57
08-24-11, 02:36 AM
anyone?

nathanjax
08-24-11, 02:47 AM
Tom (the maker of the lockpick) is the one to ask. However, if there are any left at all, it may only be 1 or 2. I'd try PM'ing him or contacting him from his site https://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac-STS-2005-2008-Lockpick.html to get a definite answer and to see if you can even get one...

tomm
08-24-11, 02:09 PM
Your post is not exactly clear to me. If you add Navigation you need a GPS antenna which will already have the connector on the antenna cable. The connector will connect to the antenna location on the back of the navigation unit. When you buy a modified lockpick it will come with a Male & Female GPS connector on the harness. The GPS antenna would connect into the lockpick harness and the other GPS connector on the lockpick harness goes back to the navigation unit.

I am not sure what you mean when you mention a wiring pigtail for the GPS Antenna. Please explain in greater detail what you are asking?

orange57
08-25-11, 12:05 AM
tomm,

Thanks for the response. I was reading through some of the other threads, and I interpereted that the GPS Antenna goes into one of the harness plugs that I would not have on a Non-Nav STS. It sounded like I would need part of the dash wiring harness that plugs into the back of the Nav unit that I would then have to splice a GPS antenna into, ie the antenna pluged into a wiring harnnes in the dash, and not directly into the nav unit itself. But from what you said above, the GPS Antenna will plug directly into the Nav unit, correct? If so, then my first post means nothing, and you answered my question above :)

Now on a side note, are the Lock Picks still availble for 05's for the additional price? It's not super necessary for me to get one, but it sounds like a nice to have item.

Thanks,

matt

tomm
08-25-11, 02:05 PM
tomm,

Thanks for the response. I was reading through some of the other threads, and I interpereted that the GPS Antenna goes into one of the harness plugs that I would not have on a Non-Nav STS. It sounded like I would need part of the dash wiring harness that plugs into the back of the Nav unit that I would then have to splice a GPS antenna into, ie the antenna pluged into a wiring harnnes in the dash, and not directly into the nav unit itself. But from what you said above, the GPS Antenna will plug directly into the Nav unit, correct? If so, then my first post means nothing, and you answered my question above :)

Now on a side note, are the Lock Picks still availble for 05's for the additional price? It's not super necessary for me to get one, but it sounds like a nice to have item.

Thanks,

matt

Yes, The GPS antenna connection is not part of any harness on the Navigation unit itself. There is a PINK connector that is on the back of the navigation unit that the GPS antenna will connect to. What you may need is to run a wire for the VSS signal. I am not sure if the non-nav harness includes the wiring for VSS but I am sure the other installation thread will go over this in detail.

We will have a few more modified lockpicks available in around a week. We are almost caught up on the back-orders on them.