: CTSV 2 GTR OR Vice Versa

carz80am
08-21-11, 04:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPERCHARGED-6-2-W-556-HP-TRADED-NEW-NISSAN-GTR-/380363709516?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item588f719c4c

I saw this on ebay eariler and was wondering if anyone went from a CTS-V to a GTR or vice versa. Who knows if the seller is telling the truth, but just wanted some feedback. I just sold my 09 V a couple months ago and have been looking at 2012 GTR. Any feedback from GTR owners would be appreciated. Thanks

obd2
08-21-11, 05:41 PM
Goodluck....I was thinking of a gtr in 2009 but my friend beat me to it. All i can say thank god i never got one (GTR JUNK). Last year he activated launch control for the second time and grenade his transmission. To make matter worse when he took it to the dealer the warranty was voided for activating the launch control (I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT) . I NEVER HEAR OF A MANUFACTOR SELLING A VEHICAL WITH A SELF DESTRUCT BOTTON. He fixed his tranny out of warranty paid out of his pocket (if I remember correctly well over $10,000) He told me of a class action suit in USA but we live in Canada.
He will not line up with my 2011 CTS-V coupe. He say the transmission is made out of glass. I am sure he would trade in a heart beat.

LitiGATOR
08-21-11, 05:48 PM
I can tell you that a member here, vapordoc, went from a GTR to a V2, and he's switching back to the GTR. My brother has a GTR and it's an awesome ride.

M5eater
08-21-11, 06:04 PM
Goodluck....I was thinking of a gtr in 2009 but my friend beat me to it. All i can say thank god i never got one (GTR JUNK). Last year he activated launch control for the second time and grenade his transmission. To make matter worse when he took it to the dealer the warranty was voided for activating the launch control (I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT) . I NEVER HEAR OF A MANUFACTOR SELLING A VEHICAL WITH A SELF DESTRUCT BOTTON. He fixed his tranny out of warranty paid out of his pocket (if I remember correctly well over $10,000) He told me of a class action suit in USA but we live in Canada.
He will not line up with my 2011 CTS-V coupe. He say the transmission is made out of glass. I am sure he would trade in a heart beat.

Your post makes me think you collected every generic rant(truthful or not..) about the GTR and then copy and pasted it into a grammatically broken paragraph.

I saw this on ebay eariler and was wondering if anyone went from a CTS-V to a GTR or vice versa. Who knows if the seller is telling the truth, but just wanted some feedback.
I can't say I understand going from needing a wagon to trading for a coupe. . my guess is he decided a truck or SUV was better than a 550HP wagon and the GTR is an acutal sports car, which might make it a more special car to drive.

I just sold my 09 V a couple months ago and have been looking at 2012 GTR. Any feedback from GTR owners would be appreciated. Thanks
What sort of feedback? You're asking a very broad question about two cars that are fundamentally different in every imaginable way possible. Aside from the 20-30K difference in price.

Speedtrapped
08-21-11, 06:29 PM
The new GTR has apparently fixed the launch problem, or rather beefed up their tranny. I have heard that previous years you can grenade the trans in launch, and whether that's been cut and paste in past, still has me scratching my head that Nissan would even have a launch button there in 1st place. I think GTR is sweet, fast and it's AWD. I just coulbt get over the Japanese factor, not culture...the cars. I had an infiniti m35, and it bored me to tears. Alas I am 42, and I think GTR is a car for the 25-35 set, that can afford it. Just my .02...,

Razorecko
08-21-11, 06:47 PM
I hope they beefed up the darn tranny. The 2012 GTR starts at like 88K !!...when it first came out it was like 74K....as you can imagine this is helping those used GTR's maintain real value.....untill their big service at 50k that will cost almost 5k

carz80am
08-21-11, 06:59 PM
Your post makes me think you collected every generic rant(truthful or not..) about the GTR and then copy and pasted it into a grammatically broken paragraph.

I can't say I understand going from needing a wagon to trading for a coupe. . my guess is he decided a truck or SUV was better than a 550HP wagon and the GTR is an acutal sports car, which might make it a more special car to drive.

What sort of feedback? You're asking a very broad question about two cars that are fundamentally different in every imaginable way possible. Aside from the 20-30K difference in price.

What GTR owners have liked/disliked about it? How it compares to the CTS-V?

carz80am
08-21-11, 07:03 PM
The new GTR has apparently fixed the launch problem, or rather beefed up their tranny. I have heard that previous years you can grenade the trans in launch, and whether that's been cut and paste in past, still has me scratching my head that Nissan would even have a launch button there in 1st place. I think GTR is sweet, fast and it's AWD. I just coulbt get over the Japanese factor, not culture...the cars. I had an infiniti m35, and it bored me to tears. Alas I am 42, and I think GTR is a car for the 25-35 set, that can afford it. Just my .02...,

I'm 31, so I guess I fit in there.

NiceRide
08-21-11, 07:08 PM
Own an '09 GT-R x 3 yrs +55K miles and v2 sedan x 1 yr. Both cars have been super reliable. I can't believe there's still talk about GT-R's "weak" trans. Grossly exaggerated.

carz80am
08-21-11, 07:15 PM
Niceride, any complaints about the GTR? Is the ride alot worse than the CTS-V?

Razorecko
08-21-11, 07:51 PM
From what I've heard is that the GTR is proven to be very reliable. Maintenance is highly expensive, service can be so-so ( its still gotta be service at a nissan dealership ) ride is harsh, back seat space is practically useless BUT can be used all year round (awd) is stupid fast with just a tune and a dp. I opted out of a GTR just for the most simple of reasons. I like to row the gears and the GTR just doesnt come in manual

Vapordoc
08-21-11, 08:55 PM
I sold My 2011 V2 sedan to Carmax 2 hours ago for 55k.

I sold it to get back into a GTR. I know it sounds weird, but I went from a 10.00 @137 mph GTR, to the V2. Now I'm going back to a stock GTR.

I know the GTR can bring about a lot of negative responses from owners of other platforms. Mostly misinformation.

For me, the V did not have the quality that I was expecting. One of my doors was put on crooked from the factory, the front wheels clicked like hell, the tranny shifted like shit, and I started to get some weird drivetrain noises. All before 3000 miles. I also did not like the way it handled, too soft and heavy feeling for me.

In my old GTR, I did over 250 full launch drag passes with 60' times down to 1.45. All on a 100% stock (parts) tranny. You think a V's stock tranny can handle that? Anyone who tells you the GTR tranny is weak has no idea what he's talking about.

I could write much much more, but I won't. This is a Cadillac website, so what's the point. They are different cars for different folks. Me, I much prefer the GTR, tied the Caddy, but didn't like it much. So much, I was willing to take a big hit on $$ to get rid of the V, and get back to the GTR.

Anyone who want's to ask me more, feel free to write me on NAGTROC.org . My username there is Sleepdoc.

CTSVKINGWAGON
08-21-11, 08:59 PM
The GTR is a great car and the 2012 model is faster and doesn't have the transmission problems of the older one. BUT, it isn't a driver's car, it's just built to go quick and be easy to drive fast. The V wagon is what I would take.

I checked the carfax records on the ebay listing and found 7 records in the database. Not sure if this is normal for a 2500 mile car.

newcadman
08-21-11, 09:21 PM
I sold My 2011 V2 sedan to Carmax 2 hours ago for 55k.

I sold it to get back into a GTR. I know it sounds weird, but I went from a 10.00 @137 mph GTR, to the V2. Now I'm going back to a stock GTR.

I know the GTR can bring about a lot of negative responses from owners of other platforms. Mostly misinformation.

For me, the V did not have the quality that I was expecting. One of my doors was put on crooked from the factory, the front wheels clicked like hell, the tranny shifted like shit, and I started to get some weird drivetrain noises. All before 3000 miles. I also did not like the way it handled, too soft and heavy feeling for me.

In my old GTR, I did over 250 full launch drag passes with 60' times down to 1.45. All on a 100% stock (parts) tranny. You think a V's stock tranny can handle that? Anyone who tells you the GTR tranny is weak has no idea what he's talking about.

I could write much much more, but I won't. This is a Cadillac website, so what's the point. They are different cars for different folks. Me, I much prefer the GTR, tied the Caddy, but didn't like it much. So much, I was willing to take a big hit on $$ to get rid of the V, and get back to the GTR.

Anyone who want's to ask me more, feel free to write me on NAGTROC.org . My username there is Sleepdoc.

Definitely found a real appreciation for the GTR's performance when I witnessed a couple of tuned 2010 GTR's at the dragstrip lately run consistent 11.2 ET's all night (in high heat & humidity) and in the process consistently embarrass a new ZR1 !

Best of luck Clint, with your return to the GTR.

serturbo
08-21-11, 09:23 PM

Wasn't it a well known fact that using "launch control" would void the warranty in earlier models? And iirc, it wasn't just one button. Didn't you have to go through a multi-step procedure to activate it? I'm not quite sure, but I think I remember something about Nissan not recognizing that function as being launch control. It was there, but probably for obtaining those great test numbers.

It's like neutral dropping any automatic car. Just because the manufacturer made it possible... doesn't mean you should do it.

LitiGATOR
08-21-11, 09:40 PM
Clint, Maaz just took me for a ride and used launch control -- wow! That's the quickest I've ever been "launched," and I've been in some fast cars. I'll see you at PBIR soon.

King335i
08-21-11, 10:48 PM
I haven't read any of the other responses to the OP yet, but let me tell you that anyone crying foul about the warranty issues of the GT-R is simply unaware of the realities of the situation. The rumors are often convoluted, or simply not true, especially when it comes to the 2012 GT-R. There are absolutely no warranty issues on the 2012 GT-R. In fact, I just got done reading a thread over on NAGTROC.org where a former 2009 GT-R owner sold his Nissan and purchased a '10 CTS-V sedan, and has just now decided to get back in to a GT-R. He described his shock upon returning to the GT-R in terms of how rapid and direct the car felt, he described the V as a 114mph pig with a 5 year old automatic transmission.

On the other hand I don't think you can go wrong either way. The CTS-V is truly an amazing vehicle, so long as you are not afflicted with the sloppy quality control issues that are both aggravating and seemingly permanent. The GT-R is an exact, defined tool, whereas the V is a hulk and feels like a tank sometimes. The fuel tank is tiny and the MPG is atrocious, but I'm not sure how much better the GT-R is in those respects. If you do go with the Cadillac cross your fingers that you don't get screwed like I did with issues that, for some mysterious reason, GM cannot resolve. If you do go with the GT-R, just make sure that live close to a certified GT-R service center and you shouldn't have too many problems.

Like I said, you can't really go wrong either way.

King335i
08-21-11, 11:04 PM
Oh SleepDoc! I didn't know you were a member on here, I was referencing your post over on NAGTROC in my last post. Glad to see you can chime in here with your opinion.

ocg
08-21-11, 11:31 PM
I had a 2009 GTR for a year as my every day car. I had a 430 spyder then and now a 458 for my sunday car. For an everyday car I didn't like the GTR. The ride was very rough and the car though very fast was kind of boring. Also every time you asked nissan if you could change anything they turned white. The car was not very loud and a new exhaust was not going over well with nissan. Fit and finish was excellent. My every day car for the last year is a BMWM3 cab. Much more fun to drive everyday. Both my 430 and 458 had such a better ride they would have mad a better everyday car tha the GTR. I have a 2012 cts-v coupe coming in 2 weeks will see.

NiceRide
08-22-11, 12:25 AM
Niceride, any complaints about the GTR? Is the ride alot worse than the CTS-V?
GT-R ride is much more stiff in comfort mode than my V2 sedan on D3 springs. I find the GT-R seats, though lacking side-bolster adjustments, to be more snug and comfortable than the Recaros in the V. Minor complaints about the GT-R are that it makes a lot of mechanical noises (transmission shifts, rattles coming through the rear seats), and random guys trying to be my friend. Otherwise, still the dream car I expected it to be when I picked her up >3 yrs ago. With a performance tune and turbo-back exhaust, she's very much alive. A stock GT-R can be "boring" b/c it's so quite and does everything well with very little drama.

Here's the bottom line: there is no better bang for the buck performance car in this planet than the new GT-R, even at about $100K for the current black edition.

Btw, welcome back to NAGTROC Clint/Vapordoc/Sleepdoc.

TMC CL65
08-22-11, 01:09 AM
I own both a CTS-V (sedan) and a GT-R. They are two really different cars to compare at all. The GT-R's ride is pretty rough. But then again I actually don't like putting the suspension in Comfort mode.. I don't like how Comfort mode dampens the ride... it is kind of like you are asking a super model to dress up like a Nun...it just doesn't feel right. The CTS-V has a much better balanced ride. However, the steering on the GT-R is much more instantaneous...it makes the CTS-V feel a bit sluggish (the extra 400lbs doesn't help). My daughter fits in the back seat of the GT-R...but much prefers the CTS-V's accomodations.

Each has its own pros and cons...and I can see how a GT-R driver switching to a CTS-V would miss the GT-R....and a CTS-V driver switching to a GT-R would miss the CTS-V. That is why I like having both of them around...they each serve their purpose on a particular day.

Tom

King335i
08-22-11, 02:45 AM
But how many here have driven the 2012 GT-R? According to NAGTROC members and several car reviews the new comfort mode is significantly more comfortable and livable as a DD.

King335i
08-22-11, 02:48 AM
[QUOTE=NiceRide;2690636]Here's the bottom line: there is no better bang for the buck performance car in this planet than the new GT-R, even at about $100K for the current black edition.[QUOTE]

Boulder Nissan had a couple Black Editions coming in that they were going to sell for $1,500 over invoice. A killer deal, but someone put a deposit on both of them before I could :(