: Back from a 350-mile trip with the limo...

turbojimmy
08-21-11, 03:58 PM
Went out to Woodward PA to pick up my GF's son and a friend at Woodward Skate Camp in Woodward PA. It was the limo's first long road trip since I got it and its 'debut' so to speak with our friends. We swung by the Poconos on the way home to hang out and drop off said friend. Went out to dinner last night with all the kids and adults in the limo. It was an instant hit, though the kids missed the flatscreen and sound system that was in the '96 (kids are the toughest critics, pointing out all the things that are wrong with the '94, and everything that was better about the '96).

Job #1: Put a "kill" switch up front to take control of the glass partition. The kids playing with it was funny at first, but....it gets old fast.

It was a bit tough to maneuver the car through the throngs of kids and narrow paths at Woodward, but it was worth it. Everyone had to stop and stare at the behemoth making its way into the camp. I only wish I had remembered to bring the fender-mounted flags. The extra 16" stretch vs. the '96 (making it a 5-foot stretch) pushes the boundaries of a practical "driver".

I had to tape the front of that stupid vinyl top down with black duct tape. I hang my head in shame. But, too much air was getting under it at highway speeds. It doesn't look half bad tho. Looks better than before, actually.

We cruised comfortably at around 75-80 MPH. Hit close to 100 at one point in order to stuff a left-lane laggard that wouldn't let anyone pass. It's a lot smoother than the '96, not sure why.

I haven't done anything engine-wise to the car. Whatever was wrong with it on its maiden voyage home has corrected itself (the running rich, belching black smoke, no power thing). I didn't get any check engine lights and it had plenty of power the whole time.

Oh yeah - it averaged 24 MPG!!! Unreal.

The tires need balanced. Actually they probably need replaced. They're in good shape tread-wise, but I'd bet they're at least 10 years old. I'm going to look up the date codes on them to find out for sure. They're not visibly dry rotted, but I think they're dried out. I have zero traction in the rain.

Anyway, my initial panic over picking up another big project is subsiding a bit. The long trip didn't reveal any defects I wasn't already aware of. This car is every bit as nice as the '96 and has a lot more potential.

96Fleetwood
08-21-11, 04:19 PM
The tires need balanced. Actually they probably need replaced. They're in good shape tread-wise, but I'd bet they're at least 10 years old. I'm going to look up the date codes on them to find out for sure. They're not visibly dry rotted, but I think they're dried out. I have zero traction in the rain.

Now you can get that 18 inch wheel/tire combo you wanted on the '96!!:cool2:

Cadillacboy
08-21-11, 04:20 PM
It seems you had fun besides a lovely trip , what's better is you got no problems at all . Your average MPG is unbelieveable for a vehicle of this size and weight lol :D

brougham
08-21-11, 10:05 PM
Now you can get that 18 inch wheel/tire combo you wanted on the '96!!:cool2:
:vomit:

Get that roof fixed!! It probably looks bad enough with the tape but imagine how embarasing it would be if it tears loose and blows around like a kite while you are driving, or even worse comes off completely and covers the window of the car behind you.

turbojimmy
08-22-11, 08:11 AM
:vomit:

Get that roof fixed!! It probably looks bad enough with the tape but imagine how embarasing it would be if it tears loose and blows around like a kite while you are driving, or even worse comes off completely and covers the window of the car behind you.

I know - I thought about all of that. It's secure now. I'm headed over to one of the shops today to see what he says.