: Transmission Questions...

Agelder
10-23-04, 05:22 PM
Howdy Ya'll (from the South)

These are not exactly Northstar questions, but it's closely related (as the 4t80e has only been attached to Northstar engines). Here goes:

- What is the reliability like on these transmissions? The Northstar puts some good power down, and caddy's aren't light vehicles, so what is the average lifespan?
- If there are common problems, what are they?
- What gear ratios are available?

Thanks!!

eldorado1
10-23-04, 07:22 PM
Howdy Ya'll (from the South)
- What is the reliability like on these transmissions? The Northstar puts some good power down, and caddy's aren't light vehicles, so what is the average lifespan?
- If there are common problems, what are they?
- What gear ratios are available?
Thanks!!

1- Pretty darn good. 100+k miles
2- Don't know of any. Sometimes the solenoids might give you problems, but they do on any tranny. Especially if you're hauling things.

3- 3.11 and 3.73 (I think).. that's VIN Y and VIN 9.

Agelder
10-26-04, 09:08 PM
Which of the cars were the VIN 9s? The STS/ETC I assume? Thanks for the help.

Spyder
10-26-04, 11:36 PM
STS/ETC were vin 9. The trannys are incredibly durable. I spent a whole lot of time in my 116K mile 94 STS, which, many times, would light the tires up in when it shifted to second gear at thirty something. Many shops will tell you that they need rebuilds which costs thousands, but damn near all of these shops are wrong, and the solenoids are all that need replacing. Check out the forum search for more info, but you'll be very happy with the tranny.

RLLOVETT
10-27-04, 10:48 AM
Had to replace the solenoids on my 94 Eldo at 132k (about $400)...tranny mech said he saw some "fuzz" when he had the trans apart (still not sure what that means)...also the case itself is made of some fairly corrodable material, so it looks like an old aluminum screen door on the outside. Check Bbob's posts on the strength of this transmission and note that the engine loses about 24 percent of its power to the tranny but the silver lining to that number is that it's a very rugged device--happy motoring!