: GM not liable for old-GMs design choices, conduct or breaches of warranty?

928S
08-20-11, 04:46 PM
Recent news possibly of interest to owners of 2008 and older GM vehicles:

http://detnews.com/article/20110818/AUTO01/108180344

MoFex
08-20-11, 07:30 PM
Very interesting! So the "new" GM is back with the "old" GM tricks. I guess the customer was never high on the GM priority list.

No surprise here.

orconn
08-21-11, 11:06 PM
Very interesting! Might just affect my next auto purchase.

77CDV
08-21-11, 11:09 PM
Lawyers get paid to get their clients out of jams using whatever means the law allows. This argument has been tried before, and has not been entirely successful. I expect the motion to be declined, followed by a quick out of court settlement which admits no liability.

concorso
08-22-11, 11:04 AM
Very interesting! Might just affect my next auto purchase.Ill say right now that this outcome will affect my next purchase. Is GM really going to throw dirt in the face of the population that saved their collective asses? Not only did these peoples' taxes go to save GM, their spending money bought Impala's, thereby doubling their efforts to keep GM from bankruptcy. And this is how GM thanks them...
Just like the way they handling the timing chain issue...leaving pre-2007 owners to fend for themselves...
Unless GM gives me a spectacular deal on a V Coupe, Ill probably switch brands. I love the M3 almost as much as the CTS-V, and this could be the deciding factor...

The Raven
08-22-11, 01:55 PM
One thing you have to remember is not to view GM like a living entity. All too often people look at big corporations the same way they look at a human being. This action does not mean that GM is throwing up a big middle finger to taxpayers who bailed out the company. Companies of this size are robots...they are calculating, there is no emotion in decisions like this. As mentioned before, this is a legal team trying to do the best thing it can for the company. That's it. So GM can go and do something like this, then tomorrow donate 100,000 Impalas to cancer survivors...etc. It would seem weird to us, but it's not weird...these are all calculated moves by individual departments maintaining their duties.

Now, that said, you could certainly say "well i'm not about to purchase a product from a company that would go an do something like this"...fair enough. But keep in mind, it could be (and has been) done by any automaker in the world. Hell, Toyota tried to cover up design defects that KILLED people. There are many more examples, Toyota's is just the most recent. So try to keep perspective when you start getting pissed off about this sort of thing. It's definitely not right, but it's also not personal.

One thing I would like to see, is if GM can win with the argument that "new GM is not responsible for the designs of old GM", then new GM should not be allowed to market using the history of old GM. No more riding the reputations of the names Silverado, Corvette, Camaro...etc. Also, someone should then sue "new Cadillac" for clearly ripping off the designs of "old Cadillac". Did they get permission from old GM to use "old Cadillac's" design philosophy? There are tons of neat little issues that come up if GM's attempted excuse is accepted.

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 01:57 PM
Toyota: Moving forward. Even when you brake.

orconn
08-22-11, 02:03 PM
Even when it comes to "not standing behind their product" Cadillac is no longer "The Standard of the World" that title has passed to Mercedes and Audi many decades ago .... and even then the Japanese have been challenging these champions!

gary88
08-22-11, 02:35 PM
As shady as it seems it's just standard legal procedure. "Old GM" (now known as Motors Liquidation Company) is literally a different company from "New GM". It's like trying to sue Apple for a bad product Samsung made.

Though I do agree they should treat New GM as such and not use their "old" products in advertising if they really want to play fair.

bill57
08-22-11, 10:09 PM
As long as the current GM honors warranties , I can't get too upset about this.

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 10:44 PM
As long as the current GM honors warranties , I can't get too upset about this.Yeah, that. As long as buyers can still take advantage of the things that they were promised upon purchase of the vehicle, it should not be a problem.

Destroyer
08-22-11, 11:01 PM
This is crooked to a very high degree. Yes it will cost them millions but it would help tremendously with public image. Especially at a time where this company has to make amends for all the crap it has produced over the last several decades. I used to swear by GM but now I swear at them. :(

ben.gators
08-23-11, 01:07 AM
Recent news possibly of interest to owners of 2008 and older GM vehicles:

http://detnews.com/article/20110818/AUTO01/108180344

Well, just beside the main story which is a real shame for GM, I am wondering why someone had purchased a brand new 2008 Impala in the first place?! :hmm:

Aron9000
08-23-11, 01:47 AM
This is crooked to a very high degree. Yes it will cost them millions but it would help tremendously with public image. Especially at a time where this company has to make amends for all the crap it has produced over the last several decades. I used to swear by GM but now I swear at them. :(

This. We the taxpayers did GM a huge favor and saved their arses. You think they'd be smart enough to throw a little goodwill at this problem and take care of it. Like destroyer said, its all about image.

The Raven
08-25-11, 06:27 PM
This. We the taxpayers did GM a huge favor and saved their arses. You think they'd be smart enough to throw a little goodwill at this problem and take care of it. Like destroyer said, its all about image.

Goodwill is what human beings do. Corporations don't understand the word. Even when a corporation does something that appears to be benevolent, there is ALWAYS an objective and usually sinister reason for it.

RippyPartsDept
08-25-11, 06:34 PM
Even when a corporation does something that appears to be benevolent, there is ALWAYS an objective and usually sinister reason for it.

usually profit driven... often the line blurs between profiteering/capitalizing and greedy/sinister but as you said, corps aren't humans so ...

dkozloski
08-25-11, 06:52 PM
It hasn't been that long ago that new cars had a 30-90 day warranty and that was it. Nobody died of that. Much ado about nothing for the spoiled brats of today.