: Rag Tops?

dj8604
10-23-04, 02:07 PM
Gotta question.. Does anybody know if anyone makes a top for a 85 Fleetwood Brougham pre-cut and ready to put on? If so, where can i get it?

Adam
10-23-04, 04:11 PM
take it to an upholstery shop, they can make you one. i dont know of any that are pre made.

ocjmakaveli
10-23-04, 04:17 PM
To my understanding they don't sell them according to vehicle make, they are sold by size of the roof and they ARE NOT just ready to be put on but they are cut to size of order and everything needed is included.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/ragtopsunroofs.html

You of course will only need to cut your roof which i would be terrified to do because there is no "Uh-oh let me try again" to this. The risk is worth it i 000,000 times better than a normal sunroof.think because they look 1,

good luck and post some pics if you get it done

I wanted do this a while back but i was told they leak under high water pressure situations and since every car wash i know of uses high water pressure i decided against it.No matter how good an install they said it can't handle so much pressure like an automated carwash etc.

they added pics of a caprice with a ragtop i gotta say its pics like these that make me want to go through with this myself

dj8604
10-26-04, 10:22 AM
Ok. Thanks for tha info.

The type of tops that go onto the top of the mini's is not what I am looking for. The top that I am referring to is the factory vinal that comes on the caddy's. Mine is specifically a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham. The white tip is shot to death, and I just got the car painted a nice White Diamond. That made the top look so much worse. I do not want another vinal, I want to change the entire look of the car, but preserve its Cadillac presence. Because of this, I jus simply want to change the material and color of the top to a tan canvas, bringing out my interior. Look at this Deville. It has the top that I want. Just not the color.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/tinosdeville

With this information stated, can anyone help me? Pix will be up as soon as I can showing the new color. Sorry, rookie mistake, no b4 pix.

HotRodSaint
10-26-04, 01:46 PM
You want a 'Carriage' or 'Simcon' top. You want it in StayFast Tan. The fiberglass shells are fabricated for your exact vehicle. I would have it installed professionally.

What city are you in. I'll tell you who to call.

ocjmakaveli
10-26-04, 05:28 PM
in my personal preference i like the "cabriolet roof" and always a canvas top they feel better and look better too. tan colors are sensitive so be careful and wash often cause a nice black stain will ruin it fast. it will look nice though post pics after you get it done if you can.

brougham
10-26-04, 06:22 PM
Like HotRodSaint said they're usually called carriage roofs. Try going to some glass shops that do vinyl roofs and see if they can do it.

Those cloth sunroofs look ugly. They look like someone couldn't afford to get a normal one :( I never seen add on ones like that before.

ocjmakaveli
10-26-04, 06:58 PM
Like HotRodSaint said they're usually called carriage roofs. Try going to some glass shops that do vinyl roofs and see if they can do it.

Those cloth sunroofs look ugly. They look like someone couldn't afford to get a normal one :( I never seen add on ones like that before.

cloth sunroofs?

brougham
10-26-04, 09:34 PM
cloth sunroofs?

ocjmakaveli
10-26-04, 10:39 PM
cloth sunroofs--->> ragtops right?

i think they are cool if they are on the right car and in all cases ragtops beat sunroofs by size and custom fitted(rare) points.

not many ragtops in the world mostly cause they are harder to do and always expensive unless you know how to do it yourself which is a chosen few.

most car enthusiasts know once it's a dealer factory option it's played out(old school stuff)

no one i know makes a big deal because of a sunroof anymore but a ragtop gets attention and respect.

besides what i meant by cabriolet roof/canvas top was not the ragtop i was actually referring to the entire vinyl roof being exchanged for a canvas top which looks classier to me i don't like vinyl too much it clashes with a cars style i think at least on the fleetwoods.Always seems that every fleet has a lighter colored vinyl top than the rest of the car.

later

dj8604
10-27-04, 08:20 PM
You want a 'Carriage' or 'Simcon' top. You want it in StayFast Tan. The fiberglass shells are fabricated for your exact vehicle. I would have it installed professionally.

What city are you in. I'll tell you who to call.

I am in columbus ohio. Thanks

i will post some pix of the painting process as soon as someone tells me how. Do i have to create a website b4 i can post them or what?

HotRodSaint
10-27-04, 11:10 PM
I am in columbus ohio. Thanks

i will post some pix of the painting process as soon as someone tells me how. Do i have to create a website b4 i can post them or what?

Auto Options can do it for you.

HotRodSaint
10-27-04, 11:15 PM
Try going to some glass shops that do vinyl roofs and see if they can do it.

Try sunroof installers or auto upholstery shops first. An ASC or Webasto certified sunroof installer is prefered. That speaks of the shops competency.

HotRodSaint
10-27-04, 11:17 PM
cloth sunroofs--->> ragtops right?

i think they are cool if they are on the right car and in all cases ragtops beat sunroofs by size and custom fitted(rare) points.

A Fleetwood would be cool, but not my Fleetwood. I like the rear vanity mirrors too much.

dj8604
11-17-04, 08:22 PM
here are the pix. all remarks are welcomed. I want all opinions on the car. Constructive criticism welcomed. thanx ppl! My first caddy, and I plan to keep treatin it well..i got this car at the age of 18, and i'm jus gettin started. look for updates, as money comes around.

a little girl asked me the other day.."Wow your car is cool! Is it a limo?" That was cool...