: Windshield for sedan

jrcmlc
08-19-11, 11:08 PM
Wife caught a rock right at eye level in her 2011 cts-v sedan. Local dealership wants $880 to replace it, glass place I've dealt wtih before wants $450 to replace it. They are using PPG glass, no Cadillac or GM watermark, but still PPG. The problem is that they show one part # to cover both standard CTS and CTSV sedans...GM shows 2 different part #'s.

I'd prefer to have the glass place do it for the price and because they are experts at replacing glass, the GM dealership is having their trained monkeys in body shop do it, and are charging 3 hours for it.

So, the question...are they the same glass, or is the CTSV lightenend like the vettes or something?

Joe

smackdownCTSV
08-19-11, 11:24 PM
Don't you have glass coverage?

jrcmlc
08-19-11, 11:52 PM
Clearly not if I'm asking about this... :-)

Joe

Ross L
08-20-11, 12:56 AM
Probably for the rain sense option on the cts-v. Just my guess.

jrcmlc
08-20-11, 01:32 AM
It's a 2011, no rainsense.

Joe

smackdownCTSV
08-20-11, 09:59 AM
You'd be surprised. It's included with your comprehensive.

stabie
08-20-11, 10:00 AM
If you can;t find an answer, I'd say your fine with the 450 part unless you track it. Just like the wipers, there maybe some extra magic in the windshield to support 100+ speeds. The plain CTS useful speed is around 100 (had an 08) whereas the V's are tracked to much higher speeds. I would not even want to think about what would happen if I got nailed for 100+ on public roads. Jail time I think.But if you track it, then if there is magic, you'd want it.

Ross L
08-20-11, 10:09 AM
My experience. I had mine replaced with a different brand "plinkinton" or something like that. What I got was engine compartment noise, and more creaks and groans immediately after picking up the car. The installer THEN told me " well a replacement windshield will never be as good as the factory installed windshield. Luckily I just got another chip. This time I'm going with a GM windshield. Just my personal experience.

M5eater
08-20-11, 10:17 AM
I was going to mention what Ross is talking about. That's likely the difference between the V and CTS glass, it's probally a bit thicker to insulate from high-speed noises associated with going 150+mph. Could you put a regular CTS aftermarket window on though? Yes, you could.

Trapspeed
08-20-11, 10:27 AM
Now I'm not sure about your insurance but in FL insurance companies will replace them with 0 deductible. Had it done more than once on different cars I've had. Check your insurance, too. In my experience, it also doesn't count as a comp claim either. It's worth a shot.

JOEYCTS-V
08-20-11, 11:07 AM
From past experiences, I would stay away from aftermarket windshields and would only go with OEM. My .02.

smackdownCTSV
08-20-11, 11:37 AM
What magic is there? I hear wind noise like crazy at 120+mph.

jrcmlc
08-20-11, 04:14 PM
My insurance charges full deductible for glass. ~$500. I think PPG makes the glass for the factory, so its not like its some off-brand, or at least that's what I'm told by GM (They said the only difference between standard PPG glass and "factory" glass is the markings) However they assure me that the CTS glass is different than the V glass...although I don't know if they are just looking at the part # and assuming there wouldn't be 2 different #'s if it was the same piece....?

Ugh.

Joe

Trapspeed
08-20-11, 07:37 PM
Yeah, must be a FL thing. Worth a shot. Best of luck.

jrcmlc
08-20-11, 07:40 PM
Im really still on the fence, I was just explaining about the PPG so everyone knew it wasn't a "glassmaster" brand 'shield or something. LOL

The glass place also said they would install the glass for $75 if I bought the factory piece, but weren't responsible for it if it broke or chipped, etc. If I could get the factory glass at a bit of a discount maybe this would be a good option, although I don't like the "not responsible" thing.

Joe

M5eater
08-20-11, 08:54 PM
Im really still on the fence, I was just explaining about the PPG so everyone knew it wasn't a "glassmaster" brand 'shield or something. LOL

The glass place also said they would install the glass for $75 if I bought the factory piece, but weren't responsible for it if it broke or chipped, etc. If I could get the factory glass at a bit of a discount maybe this would be a good option, although I don't like the "not responsible" thing.

Joe
broke or chipped during install? I would expect them to be responsible, they're the freaking ones handling it! Find a different ''glass place''

jrcmlc
08-20-11, 09:01 PM
Of course they are only saying that about the factory glass, that they aren't supplying...if they supply the glass, they are responsible. This is who all the other dealerships use for their glass, but for comparison I did call 2 other places, one had some off-brand of glass like glassmaster or something like that, the other was using PPG like these guys, still not factory glass, and it was more. They couldn't tell me about the 2 different part #'s either. Shrug.

Joe

Gary Wells
08-20-11, 10:46 PM
Of course they are only saying that about the factory glass, that they aren't supplying...if they supply the glass, they are responsible. This is who all the other dealerships use for their glass, but for comparison I did call 2 other places, one had some off-brand of glass like glassmaster or something like that, the other was using PPG like these guys, still not factory glass, and it was more. They couldn't tell me about the 2 different part #'s either. Shrug.
Joe
If this were me I would ante up the $900, but before I did that I would want to see a 5 star pedigree for whatever company was installing that glass. Just because they are a dealer and factory trained..........well, you know the valance of this statement. I would try and find a dealer or glass shop that has installed a windshield in a CTS-V2.

M5eater
08-21-11, 11:57 AM
If this were me I would ante up the $900, but before I did that I would want to see a 5 star pedigree for whatever company was installing that glass. Just because they are a dealer and factory trained..........well, you know the valance of this statement. I would try and find a dealer or glass shop that has installed a windshield in a CTS-V2.

agreed. . the dealer that installed my glass on the G8 didn't use enough glue on the bottom edge, so it acutally sat ~ 8mm lower on the bottom cowl section than it should have and didn't sit flush with the plastic trim pieces. Fortunately, after I brought it up they were able to solve the issue and add more glue.

Gary Wells
08-21-11, 05:38 PM
Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable, but I look at it this way.
You own a $65K car, or it was about when it was new, and you are looking to spend $500 on a new windshield.
Unless you are planning on selling and / or trading that car in soon I would protect what is mine. In your case, your CTS-V.
I would at least spend enough to ease your conscience that you gave the job every opportunity for it to come out nice.
As i can't afford another one, ever, I would and will spend what ever it takes to keep the car nice.
Spending too much is no guarantee that the job will turn out OK, but spending too little strongly limits your opportunity of success.
Search out the best body / repair / restoration shop in your area and ask them who is the best in glass replacement.
Maybe even offer to pay them to have somebody they know of do the replacement in their shop and them to verify the correctness of the windshield replacement.
Do not leave your freaking car either either.

jrcmlc
08-21-11, 05:45 PM
LOL, no, I'm going to watch every detail of the replacement when we do it, but since I'm in a rural area my options are limited. Local dealer, whom I trust and do quite a bit of business with is gouging for the installation, and is having their body-shop monkeys do it..which I don't like. The glass place whom everyone trusts, I like, and believe would do a great job, isn't using factory-marked glass, which I don't like, and won't guarantee the install if they don't supply the glass...which I don't like. Option 3 is to deal with someone I have never seen before, potentially well over a 1 hour drive each way, and hope they do better. LOL

All 3 sort of suck. :-)

Joe

Gary Wells
08-21-11, 08:03 PM
Joe, you have my deepest sympathy. Under that scenario, I don't know what I would do.
I would almost be willing to try door # 3 of the someone you don't know is a factory Cadillac dealer,
using factory marked glass, and have any experience installing CTS & CTS-V glass.

jrcmlc
08-21-11, 08:23 PM
Yep, I agree. If I could find someone within a reasonable distance (less than 2 hours, so Chicago is out, but St. Louis is in), I'd probably go that route.

I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

Joe

Mejohnso2010
08-29-11, 02:02 PM
Joe- Vitro makes the CTS factory glass. The only CTS model with different "geometry" is in the coupe. But they're all 2 piece laminated WS. Options leading to different pt #s could be different PVB (glue) holding the two pieces together (eg; for noise/NVH)
Depending on where you live you may also be able to get a replacement with IR reflective coating/film in it (keeps out the sun's heat- making it cooler and get better MPG (less a/c use)) but that'd probably be aftermarket.

jrcmlc
08-29-11, 02:08 PM
That's good info. I still haven't done anything with it, so I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Joe

jakesulivan
08-29-11, 03:32 PM
I think non metallic parts are covered for 50% and metallic parts 100%. I am not sure but I have heard of this.