: Cad' Concept 4dr Convertable

elphil
08-19-11, 02:42 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110818/CARNEWS/110819868

snzuloz
08-19-11, 02:47 PM
Gotta see it in person I guess, so far wouldn't appeal to me lol.

Lord Cadillac
08-19-11, 02:58 PM
We have some discussion going on here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ciel-forum/

Rule12b
08-19-11, 02:59 PM
Where can I put a deposit down. I love it and the idea behind it.

BeagleBrains
08-19-11, 03:56 PM
Recalls design of the 1960 Lincoln 4-Door Convertible, 1964 Cadillac 4-Door, each with suicide doors. I can see envy and regrets emminating from Lincoln after having terminated the Town Car.
The Ciel (pronounced See-El) is most elligant: http://www.motorauthority.com/pictures/1065168_cadillac-ciel-concept-preview-2011-pebble-beach-concours_gallery-1#100359751

orconn
08-19-11, 04:44 PM
As I have said before, the Ciel looks like a cross between a sixties Lincoln Continental and a fifties Chrysler Imperial Parade Phaeton with a few Cadillac cues thrown in. I also wonder where this car is supposed to be used, I guess on the owner's 50,000 acre estate where security is not an issue! I wouldn't suggest taking a Sunday drive in the thing around any U.S. cities, at least without a police or other security detail to protect the car and its' occupants.

Slap a Chrysler or Lincoln grill, or a Lincoln logo or Imperial logo on the trunk lid, and I wouldn't be surprised if the car was made by either of those manufacturers.

Cadillac already has a distinctive design to work from in the development of a new "premium" model and that is the Sixteen. They should spend more time working on this and less time rehashing old themes from competitors.

JimmyH
08-19-11, 06:14 PM
I would love a 4-door convertible. I would never buy one though. Not until they can figure out how to give any convertible with more than 2 seats any kind of chassis integrity.

MotownPimp
08-19-11, 06:15 PM
Way to big for my taste. Though gorgeous, it looks like a battleship from the 60s.

Stingroo
08-19-11, 06:34 PM
I'll take one with a roof.

Rule12b
08-19-11, 06:43 PM
I just watched it again and have to say, here in So Cal, I would get in line for it. Structurally and handling-wise, I'd never expect it to be a handler like my CTS-V (or any non-ragtop) but with modern materials, it's sure to be a fiiiiine boulevard chariot. Stiff enough and quick enough for sedan duty but with so much more to offer. Even as a concept, I'm stunned by its beautiful lines. Sure, it evokes memories of the old Lincoln, but I guess I'm just one of those guys who would love to have a four door convertible like that for just the kinds of trips they show in the clip.

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 06:43 PM
Repost! Oh, I see. My thread got moved to its own forum. hmm...

The Tony Show
08-19-11, 06:47 PM
Slap a Chrysler or Lincoln grill, or a Lincoln logo or Imperial logo on the trunk lid, and I wouldn't be surprised if the car was made by either of those manufacturers.

Cadillac already has a distinctive design to work from in the development of a new "premium" model and that is the Sixteen. They should spend more time working on this and less time rehashing old themes from competitors.

Art & Science is getting long in the tooth (remember the EVOQ from 2000?). It's time to update the look, which they seem to have done very well while retaining the signature Cadillac tailfins and V grill, plus kept styling cues from the Sixteen like the rectangular, vertical exhaust integrated into the fascia.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-19-11, 07:19 PM
I'm down. Where can I send a check? (Hope they don't mind that it'll bounce ;) )

Destroyer
08-19-11, 09:36 PM
This car would re-ignite my love for Cadillacs but they probably won't build it. :helpless:

ThumperPup
08-19-11, 09:39 PM
looks to much like some future in time movie car lol

cadillac kevin
08-19-11, 10:02 PM
I want one. too bad it would take me years to afford it. its long, over the top, and cool. IMO it needs 2 turbo 6s put together (quad turbo 900+ hp V12 anyone?)
I really hope they build it, at least in limited production. it would sure give rolls a run for the money.

77CDV
08-19-11, 10:11 PM
Now this is what Cadillac needs! Have a hardtop companion (and a coupe wouldn't hurt), and we'd be in business. Fitting it with an 8 wouldn't go amiss, either.

BeagleBrains
08-20-11, 10:04 AM
It certainly is a beautiful design and concept. I would just bet that engineers had indeed figured out a sound structural integrity of this four door convertible. There is a guy about four blocks from my house that owns a limousine service, providing extended chasis modified proportional to an eight-door sedan. Yes, roof structure is an essential design component. Then, again, a number of four door convertibles are extant throughout the car market; usually high end and well above my budget range. Of note, none of them drags the frame at the center. http://www.google.com/search?q=4-door+convertible&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=I7tPTvmmO-uksQKel-DxBg&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1100&bih=629
The car show release of a design concept is a venue to test the waters for all sorts of car appearances as well as function. Almost every car manufacturer has units exceeding $100,000 which is probably the market price of the CIEL. Cadillac has been expounding upon a style leader to which to tie their car line. Nothing is too costly; a car just limits its exclusivity by the cost factor. Appropriate drivability is merely at the discretion of the buyer.
Cadillac CTS V owners, us all, entertain impertinant questions about choosing to drive such an exotic car.
Answer: "Because I can!" To the point: driving the CIEL with the top down would be oh so grand.

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 11:36 AM
It is a gorgeous car, but the only thing that throws me off is that Mazda-esque grill. It would be straight up PERFECT if the grille were reminiscent of the early '60s Series 62 with a modern flair. They could make it work.

gary88
08-20-11, 12:19 PM
The front needs work, but I like the overall design language. The art and science (ie. let's design everything with a ruler!) theme was starting to get old IMO.

amunderdog
08-21-11, 10:11 AM
Cadillac Unveils Convertible Hybrid Concept Car
Four-door features rear-hinged "suicide" doors, twin-turbocharged V-6 engine.
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/cadillac-unveils-convertible-hybrid-concept-car.html