: Where to get parts

Grunder
08-19-11, 12:14 PM
Again, I'm new here, so please bear with me...

I looked under the hood yesterday to check what the selling dealer really did with the engine air and cabin air filters (did they really put new ones in? Yes, they did). But I found that part of the engine air filter housing box, the part that is permanently mounted and has the 'strap' on top with a screw to hold it in place, was broken. It was actually the 'strap' that was broken, and somebody had tried to glue it back together with a big gob of epoxy - obviously it didn't work!

So where do I go to get these kinds of parts, like this engine air filter housing box with the 'strap'? There must be some other avenue than a Cadillac dealer, yes? And is there a web site that shows exploded views of the vehicle, so I can be more specific when looking for parts?

Thanks again,

John
2008 - 3.6DI

AnderbrA
08-19-11, 01:47 PM
I know there are a few out there, but one i use to look up specific parts and part numbers is on http://parts.nalleygmc.com/ Decent layout and good diagrams.

EChas3
08-19-11, 11:13 PM
Every car runs on used parts. If I needed an air filter housing, I'd check a recycler (junkyard) first.

Grunder
08-20-11, 05:36 PM
I know there are a few out there, but one i use to look up specific parts and part numbers is on http://parts.nalleygmc.com/ Decent layout and good diagrams.

Thanks for the info. I went to the site and found the part I mentioned. Problem is there are three exploded views to choose from. Being a 70 year old owner, how do I know what the diagram designations mean, like LY7, etc. Which one is for the car I have???

EChas3
08-21-11, 06:09 PM
Those are known as RPO codes and indicate different options. Your spare tire cover should have a label with all your car's specifics.

Some parts sites let you enter your VIN. You can also get your codes from your VIN www.compnine.com.

RippyPartsDept
08-21-11, 06:35 PM
i use compnine a lot to check parts when i'm on the road and don't have access to our GM Parts Catalog (EPC)

the Nalley website has better (and more current) info though - but i find it a bit harder to navigate - they also use list prices

(we offer discounts to all forum members by the way... currently my platinum dealer status is in limbo due to some weird billing glitch, but normally you will see contact info in my custom signature ... parts@rippyautomotive.com in the meantime)

MeTaK
08-22-11, 04:45 AM
i prefer that oil change guys don't even open the air filter box, they're likely to break something, many of the boxes today are use PPT20-40 resin, which is very fragile anyway.. the 20-40 is the percentage of talc that is mixed in with PP as a cheap filler, ultimately makes the molded plastic resin more brittle..

change your own filter, they last longer than they may lead you to believe anyway..

AnderbrA
08-22-11, 11:22 AM
the Nalley website has better (and more current) info though - but i find it a bit harder to navigate - they also use list prices

Yeah, the site takes a few uses to get the handle of it. I narrow the broad items such as year, make, model, then use the keyword filter. I typically use the site to find actual part numbers, then do a google search for the term "GM xxxxxxxxx" x being the part number. More often than not, I have found the best price via the google shopping this way. The same method can be used on Ebay if the seller is wise enough to put the part number.

RippyPartsDept
08-22-11, 11:54 AM
please check with me before you purchase online... at least give me a chance to meet or beat the prices you find elsewhere

Grunder
08-23-11, 06:05 PM
please check with me before you purchase online... at least give me a chance to meet or beat the prices you find elsewhere

Chris,

Here you go:

Thanks...

RippyPartsDept
08-23-11, 06:43 PM
best I can do is $98.10 on that part... it's stocked in my local warehouse so I can get it in just a day or two (two days at this time of day... one day if ordered earlier)

Grunder
08-24-11, 07:00 PM
best I can do is $98.10 on that part... it's stocked in my local warehouse so I can get it in just a day or two (two days at this time of day... one day if ordered earlier)

Chris,

I really appreciate you getting the price for me.

But....that amount of $, just because the 'strap' is broken, is not a wise choice on my part. I will try some other repair 1st, then maybe we'll talk!

Thanks again,

John

RippyPartsDept
08-24-11, 07:59 PM
i totally understand...