: Constant squeaking after replacing brake pads

bacchus2678
08-19-11, 09:21 AM
Had my brakes replaced yesterday on my new V with less than 2k miles to try and get rid of the insane brake dust.
I rolled down the windows this morning to see if they also fixed the wheel clicking while it was at the dealer and I notice a constant squeaking while driving. The squeak mostly goes away when braking though. The dealer made sure to add a note on the ticket saying no warranty against squeaking but I figured that meant the normal squeak you could get with new pads. I'm guessing this isn't normal... any idea what they could have done to make it squeak all the time?

Thanks

M5eater
08-19-11, 09:33 AM
which pads? I've heard of some Hawk's squeaking more than normal during break in, and I know that the ABS pre loads the pads under some situations, but *all* the time during driving? My first thought would be an install error.

bacchus2678
08-19-11, 09:35 AM
Hawk HPS

M5eater
08-19-11, 09:39 AM
Hawk HPS
These pads have mixed reviews with regard to noise, but generally, there's a lot of noise for the first 200-1000 miles. Some pad noise paste on the bake plates should help it out of it's too bad. I would suspect that none or little was used given the note and installer.

jb_bgg
08-19-11, 11:22 AM
I just installed Hawk HPS pads on my sedan and haven't heard a peep out of 'em, probably 600 miles or so on the clock since. Did not turn rotors, just a light sand and bed before I took it to the track. My installer did not use the paste that came with the pads, had his own which he recommended and I agreed.

M5eater
08-19-11, 11:26 AM
I just installed Hawk HPS pads on my sedan and haven't heard a peep out of 'em, probably 600 miles or so on the clock since. Did not turn rotors, just a light sand and bed before I took it to the track. My installer did not use the paste that came with the pads, had his own which he recommended and I agreed.

From what I've seen, those that have the most noise, don't use the paste, even my Cmax pads make a tiny bit of noise because I didn't use paste, something I need to fix this weekend.

bacchus2678
08-24-11, 05:24 PM
Took it back this morning. Zero noise now. They did charge me 21 to clean and lube the pads... seems like something that should have been done the first time.

I know I won't take the car there for anything but scheduled maintenance and warranty work from now on. They were very negative towards anything aftermarket plus they charged twice compared to the place I normally take my cars.

baabootoo
08-24-11, 11:33 PM
Maybe complain?

M5eater
08-25-11, 09:47 AM
Maybe complain?

for $21? Just eat it. it's going to take more $$ in Gas and time to get a refund than it's worth it. When they don't receive his repete business, they should get the message.

Prof
08-25-11, 10:32 AM
Did you "bed" the new pads? Doesn't sound like it...I highly recommend the following procedure...read the article, the rationale is pretty convincing...and fun!

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

M5eater
08-25-11, 01:34 PM
I would just drive it normally for the first 200 miles or so. Unless of course the OP absolutely needs 100% stopping power for a road course tomorrow.