: Photos of GM Diff cooler?

M5eater
08-19-11, 08:50 AM
So I'm still a little bit in love with the idea of OEM parts from my Euro days. My first two plans are the GM Diff cooler and 2 piece rotors.

I've seen the 3d CG images and exploded parts photos, but has anyone acutally seen or have photos of this thing?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/october_08_techlink_fig14.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2008/10/differential-cooler.html&usg=__Cy2vLhVB6xOVDyO3rEP8tku4VfY=&h=271&w=450&sz=92&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=I-Auh3GWv7rCSM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=127&ei=501OTtytJKKzsAKCkL3GBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DCTS-V%2BGM%2Bdiff%2Bcooler%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN %26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

AC Promotions
08-19-11, 09:21 AM
They were previously posted. Here are the images. The last time that I checked there was no parts availability in the system (hence my question to D3 if they produced a differential cooler cover). I will post back in that thread and ask that they PM me a quote (with cover). If a GM dealer has the factory parts or can get them, please speak up and provide a quote (not installed, without shipping).

Vcoupe11
08-19-11, 09:39 AM
Sorry to say I don't, but would be very interested to see them as well.

Gary

M5eater
08-19-11, 09:43 AM
They were previously posted. Here are the images. The last time that I checked there was no parts availability in the system (hence my question to D3 if they produced a differential cooler cover). I will post back in that thread and ask that they PM me a quote (with cover). If a GM dealer has the factory parts or can get them, please speak up and provide a quote (not installed, without shipping).

I saw you in that thread, I had considered the D3 unit as well, espically since my dealer quoted $4K *just* for the parts, but then I eyeballed a $2100 price-tag @ Gmpartsdirect.com. A $2.3K premium is nuts, but a $500 premium I can handle, more so since I would be able to do the install, and I don't really need it *right now*. Hopefully they'll become avaliable again, I would assume it's sort of a new-car priority thing still right now, just like it was with my suede steering wheel that I waited almost 3 months for, so it wouldn't bother me if I needed to wait a while with a special-parts order. The other issue with the D3 is that any cover they make is either not going to cover the pump & cooler, or will be too small. The GM unit is pretty much a self-containted box. The D3 is a lot bigger, or better, however you want to look at it.

thanks for the pictures.

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 10:17 AM
what's the part number? i can check on it for you and see what kind of price I can offer

M5eater
08-19-11, 10:19 AM
The part number is 20792934

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 10:44 AM
That part shows to be for 'export' usages and there's something weird about it - either not the current number or you can't get that number anymore or some other special situation.

I would not suggest ordering that part number since there may be complications installing it due to it being an export part.

There is another part number that shows to be a domestic accessory (22849901) but I can't get it to show up anywhere except in the parts catalog.
I'm going to call GM to see what they can tell me about this other part number since that would be the way to go for you guys.

Here's the illustration my parts catalog shows. #1 is the complete package
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5218/ctsvreardiffcoolerpkg.jpg

M5eater
08-19-11, 10:47 AM
that's weird, because that's the exact excuse that I was given when I gave my dealer that number. I asked them for an install price and they didn't even want to install it. I can't imagine what would be different on a euro V with regard to this. They're not using a different diff or tire cavity casting. It's the exact same car with some different tail lights and this cooler standard.

in any event, thanks Chris!

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 11:01 AM
it's very possible that it's the same exact part, but not likely

this other part number (22849901) is a domestic accessory kit but it is not yet available
the part number has been created and it will become available in the near future ... pricing will also be available at that time

as for the export part, there's no stock available on that part either, so you'd be waiting either way - why not wait for the part that GM says is for your car?

M5eater
08-19-11, 11:03 AM
it's very possible that it's the same exact part, but not likely

this other part number (22849901) is a domestic accessory kit but it is not yet available
the part number has been created and it will become available in the near future ... pricing will also be available at that time

as for the export part, there's no stock available on that part either, so you'd be waiting either way - why not wait for the part that GM says is for your car?
is there any created date on this number? If it was created in say, 2008/09. I would expect by now it's not going to happen. I don't mind waiting, it just doesn't sound right that there would be any different parts or difference in the cars in europe. The only way this makes sense to me is if as you suggest, one is as an acessory and one is as a factory equipped service parts number. It would also be interesting to have this number as reference incase the pricing on the new number is for some reason a few hundred dollars more.

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 11:13 AM
It shows different part numbers for the pumps, and a bunch of the fasteners (rivets, straps, etc) ... also different hose/pipe/adapter parts up to the diff

not sure why but there's got to be something different about the underside of the export V's ... and the pump difference doesn't really make sense unless there's some electrical difference between the domestic and export cars

i've been on hold w/ GM now for a long time (still waiting) ... apparently they're trying to figure this out

so far they haven't been able to get me any information ... i'll ask when the part number was setup when they come back

also, you could be right that they're basically the same besides one being factory service and the other being accessory kit...

there's just too much unknown here

i'll be in touch soon

M5eater
08-19-11, 11:20 AM
My guess about the pump thing would be because of suplier avability and/or costs to transport being too high considering it's a low-volume product, and it's *just* an oil pump, nothing special. Anyway, thanks again Chris!

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 11:41 AM
So GM hasn't really been much help here. They can't tell when the part was set up and they can't really tell me anything. I'm waiting on a call back from the pricing dept. to see what they have to say about this.

I'm very close to emailing my corporate rep. to see what he can do for us on this situation.

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 11:53 AM
I'm just gonna hijack a Monticello car and pillage it for its cooler. Or maybe I'll go grassroots...

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 12:16 PM
So the pricing dept. called back and said that they have no pricing info because there is no supplier on contract to built this part yet.
(maybe they could get D3 to do it...)

I'm calling GM back to see if they've got any other ideas as to what to do here.

It seems a bit weird that there would be cars being built with this option, and that the parts catalog would have a part number set up for this accessory kit, yet there's no information available.

M5eater
08-19-11, 12:35 PM
So the pricing dept. called back and said that they have no pricing info because there is no supplier on contract to built this part yet.
(maybe they could get D3 to do it...)

I'm calling GM back to see if they've got any other ideas as to what to do here.

It seems a bit weird that there would be cars being built with this option, and that the parts catalog would have a part number set up for this accessory kit, yet there's no information available.

well that's a major setback. I can't believe it's on cars overseas, that it's a major problem for anyone here that tracks the car, but there's no solution for their primary market. Aside from the obvious fact that certian fleet cars bought by tracks got these things I presume. That's the other reason why I think that other part # would work. If there's no parts for the domestic number, then what else would they have used?

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 12:41 PM
ok, so they are saying that it is going to be available but it currently isn't

there's nothing else they can tell me

i'm going to escalate this up to my regional rep. and see what he says

can we confirm that export Vs are actually getting this part? or is it in the same situation for them also maybe?

and what about the cars at Monticello? anyone have a contact there that they can ask about the source for their diff. coolers?

MReiland
08-19-11, 01:17 PM
I looked into this about a year or more ago, the export V's get it (and pay more too) due to the likelyhood that they will be running at sustained higer speeds in normal driving (Middle East, Autobahn etc..). I think there was a contract amount for a certain amount and most were reserved for export vehicles..... I haven't looked into it much in the last year but I could try again too.

stabie
08-19-11, 01:30 PM
I had a feeling it might be the middle east. I was talking to someone that lived there last week, and average highs are like 120. He also said Dubai was starting to crack down on speeding now. I guess in the past, you could go any speed you wanted with no ticket. So couple speed + high temps, I would think they would be essential there. I also got a feeling the V's are selling well in Dubai/Middle east as I see lots of u-tubes on the V shot there, so it behoove GM to keep that export market very satisfied. I'd think to support 120 ambient temps, they might even get beefier radiators.

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Matt!

I'd be more interested in getting the domestic accessory sorted out though. I'd guess the forum members like M5eater couldn't care less which part they can get (as long as they can get one). But it just seems weird to me that they'd set up a part number and put it in the parts catalog without any pricing/supplier/eta.

Anything you find out will be greatly appreciated.

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 01:44 PM
I had a feeling it might be the middle east. I was talking to someone that lived there last week, and average highs are like 120. He also said Dubai was starting to crack down on speeding now. I guess in the past, you could go any speed you wanted with no ticket. So couple speed + high temps, I would think they would be essential there. I also got a feeling the V's are selling well in Dubai/Middle east as I see lots of u-tubes on the V shot there, so it behoove GM to keep that export market very satisfied. I'd think to support 120 ambient temps, they might even get beefier radiators.

also for europe (especially germany) where they could be cruising at 100+mph for extended periods the diff cooler makes good sense as a standard option

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 01:46 PM
All I know is that Cadillac is not Ford. Ford has provided track worthy products but skimped on brakes or supplied trans or diffs that couldn't withstand the abuse. Cadillac brags about their trackworthiness. But now they're holding back on this?

At V-Day I I was running advanced and had 2 prototype V2s bearing down on me. This was 4 months after the Detroit unveil and 6 months before they hit showrooms. They had all sorts of coolers and doodads. All the Monticello cars and cars at their Performance Lab events have them. Cadillac knows exactly when these diffs will overheat. Hell, the V1 didn't even have a warning light for overheating.

Cadillac NEEDS to make this info available...

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 01:54 PM
Matt,

I've got partech case numbers and SR#'s from SPAC if you need them - i probably spent the better part of two hours trying to get this sorted out today.

I'm about to fire of an email to our rep, but since you replied I'm going to hold off and see what you can come up with first.

Cheers,
Chris

M5eater
08-19-11, 02:09 PM
Don't get me wrong chris, I'd like the correct one if that's possible, and I'm willing to wait a few months. It was just my opinion that there wouldn't be any difference between the two, so I can't understand why there would be hesitation to have it for the N/A market. Thinking about it more, as it's labled export, and my dealer was hesitant to install it, I would assume if I were to have any problems it would be denied for warranty or something. I'm eager to hear about any results, Thanks for your efforts thus far!

MReiland
08-19-11, 02:27 PM
The whole idea of this dealer installed accessory is that it maintains the warranty, there was a thread on it a long time ago from Ed Piatek.

M5eater
08-19-11, 02:52 PM
That's some of it, but It's mostly a fit and finish thing for me, which is sort of why I was going on the export part number tangent assuming that it was essentially the same collection of parts, and also why I started the thread asking for photos. If we have a solution that has both qualities, I'm all for that. It's simply that if we can't, I'm not sure it would bother me to use the export, if I could ever get a hold of one.

AC Promotions
08-19-11, 03:32 PM
To pick up on Matts point an announcement from Cadillac was made months ago that the cooler would become an RPO and be priced lower than the current Msrp. I posted a thread called RPO for differential cooler you can reference or search for Cadillac announcements on the differential cooler.

Dr. Design
08-19-11, 04:04 PM
Those are most likely D3 units as well....

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

and what about the cars at Monticello? anyone have a contact there that they can ask about the source for their diff. coolers?

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 04:21 PM
figures... thx

To pick up on Matts point an announcement from Cadillac was made months ago that the cooler would become an RPO and be priced lower than the current Msrp. I posted a thread called RPO for differential cooler you can reference or search for Cadillac announcements on the differential cooler.
the RPO is KNR, fyi

M5eater
08-19-11, 04:29 PM

I see you posted a thread without reply
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/224221-rpo-differential-cooler.html

was there a different one?

AC Promotions
08-19-11, 04:54 PM
http://roadtesttv.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/news-flash-2011-cts-v-to-get-some-new-performance-options/

Beginning in December of 2010, CTS-V buyers will be able to order the following:

1) Satin Graphite 19″ V Series Wheels;

2) Yellow V Series 6 pistion Calpers in front- 4 piston rear;

3) Black Chrome Grille, and…
4) Limited Slip Differential with Oil Cooler (Available March 2011).

RippyPartsDept
08-19-11, 04:54 PM
I see you posted a thread without reply
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/224221-rpo-differential-cooler.html

was there a different one?

i didn't see that thread, but my parts catalog shows both domestic and export part numbers have the same RPO (KNR)

so apparently they've slipped on their ship date (or the source for that info wasn't really 'in the know')

smackdownCTSV
08-19-11, 05:21 PM

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Most likely? You don't know?

Dr. Design
08-19-11, 06:22 PM
We are not there to look underneath every car they have there. But if you look underneath most likely you will see our systems installed.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Most likely? You don't know?

M5eater
08-19-11, 06:52 PM
http://roadtesttv.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/news-flash-2011-cts-v-to-get-some-new-performance-options/

Beginning in December of 2010, CTS-V buyers will be able to order the following:

1) Satin Graphite 19″ V Series Wheels;

2) Yellow V Series 6 pistion Calpers in front- 4 piston rear;

3) Black Chrome Grille, and…

there's supposed to be a black chrome grille too?

http://golgotron.com/wp-content/uploads/Shut-up-and-take-my-money-300x187.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 06:53 PM
EVERY V I have seen at Monticello that had a diff cooler was most definitely a GM. There may be D3 units there as well, but the ones I saw were GM. They all had the self-contained boxes with cooling slats the GM units have.

smackdownCTSV
08-19-11, 06:56 PM
We are not there to look underneath every car they have there. But if you look underneath most likely you will see our systems installed.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Don't act like you sell so many of them that you can't keep count. You'd know if you sold 10 to GM/Cadillac/MMC/M&M/etc. So cut the BS.

4DR_ZR1
08-19-11, 09:45 PM
The whole idea of this dealer installed accessory is that it maintains the warranty, there was a thread on it a long time ago from Ed Piatek.

Here's what he said on 12/18/09:

Differential Cooling System

Regarding the rear differential hot message, the CTS-V has a high torque capacity cast iron diff, and a physical property of cast iron is that it does not dissipate heat as effectively as aluminum. Coupled with the high out of the LSA engine, the differential fluid can reach operating temperatures during race track type useage that begins to break down the lubrication properties of the fluid, reducing the fluid’s effective service life.

As we have done on the previous generation CTS-V and the STS-V, we intended to offer an differential fluid cooling system through our Service Parts Organization for owners who exercise their car in track type use to prevent the need for frequent fluid changes – unfortunately a component availability issue prevented us from initially stocking the intended quantities of the system, but that issue has been resolved and we expect the system to be available in sufficient quantity very shortly. As commented elsewhere on this forum, the cooler is installed as original equipment for countries with significantly higher ambient temperatures or have typical vehicle usage speeds that are much higher than in North America. The info recently posted by MReiland on the part number and system description is accurate.

I look forward to your comments and questions going forward, and thank you for your continued interest and support.

Ed Piatek
CTS-V Program Engineering Manager

That was 20 months ago. Not my idea of "very shortly".

M5eater
08-19-11, 09:54 PM
it's sad that it's the 3rd model year and there are essentially no avaliable GM performance parts for the V2. I'd buy factory exhaust, this cooler, the grille and rotors(but those are already avaliable) if they'd just sell them. The V logo'd exhaust tips on that blue V2 with the black grille in the press-release looked fantastic.

MReiland
08-19-11, 10:35 PM
I have the question in to the right people to get the lowdown on this cooler.

AC Promotions
08-20-11, 01:47 PM
Would it help if I requested that my dealer put in a call to the brand manager to ask for assistance in making the domestic part available to dealers and also as a factory RPO for MY12? If it will help PM me the specifics in GM terminology so I can cut & paste it into a memorandum and send it to the dealer. And yes, this is a top 5 dealer in sales, CSI; etc! If only Cad would make it available by the time my V-wagon gets built next week!

PeteK
11-24-11, 01:40 PM
Guys--

Any updates to this? I'm looking at a V currently and I'd definitely like to pick up a diff cooler for some fun time at Willow Springs.

Thanks!

M5eater
11-24-11, 01:43 PM
I would be interested in this as well, at this point though the CTS is over the hill on it's production, I'm not hopeful that we'll ever see one.

Dr. Design
11-24-11, 01:47 PM
If your going to willow you will certainly need the cooler installed. Last we spoke with GM, they still don't have anything available. This was at a level higher than the dealership level. The d3 diff cooler is still the best option as it is available now. We have a bunch of units on some of the v lab cars.

Also let us know when you go out to willow and we will go with you.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

PeteK
11-24-11, 01:52 PM
Thanks, D3. I'm still working the order with the dealer, so it won't be for a bit yet, but it sounds like I've got my first accessory lined up.

blkCTSv
11-26-11, 02:32 PM
I've ran my car very hard since I bought it in Jan 2010. After my first track day at Buttonwillow, CA in Feb 2010, I would get the "diff light" after 5 laps. I immediately installed the D3 diff-cooler and have never had the light since - I've ran all of the California tracks on 100+ degree days. I was a bit worried about the exposure without a cover, but it turns out it is not an issue - even with a few "offs" in the desert (rocks). I understand that if you are getting the light, you are running temps above 300 degrees - not good. If you run your car on a road track you should consider something, or keep your warranty intact.

yooper
11-26-11, 03:29 PM
Subscribed

Bman777
01-26-12, 06:27 PM
I had a couple CTS-V coupes come into my work and this is what we found under the back. It has a weldon pump PN 19200-a, I called Weldon and they said this PN was not availble for purchase and is for a Euro GM oem kit. Anyone have any ideas? This doesnt look like any other kits I have seen.

M5eater
01-26-12, 06:32 PM
That's not even close to what the illustrations I've seen look like, however I would imagine being that it's a coupe, it might be different from the sedan.

PeteK
01-26-12, 06:37 PM
That looks like this:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2935063&ukey_assembly=376510

M5eater
01-26-12, 06:41 PM
wow.. I didn't even bother adding up that I saw so many parts listed at $1500+..

It's unfortunate GM doesn't give their primary market this standard. I suppose we're doomed to spend $1800 on a D3 cooler...

550HP STSV
01-26-12, 09:31 PM
... or make your own, like the STS-V guys have done.

RippyPartsDept
01-27-12, 10:03 AM
hmmm my parts catalog shows a kit part number but it doesn't come up as a good number
which usually means that it's a future part that they are planning to make or that they were planning to make it and they never did
(well never fully did - since they obviously made some)

RippyPartsDept
01-27-12, 12:06 PM
ok, so i called GM ... they don't really want to help unless i have the VIN of a car that has one of these on it, but from what i could get out of them the part number is good, but just not 'set up' yet

i seem to remember looking into this a while back and getting a similar run-around only to find out that only european models were getting the diff cooler due to the autobahn and other high speed roads that these cars would more likely travel

that said, the parts catalog does not indicate this cooler as an export part ... just an RPO ... so it does seem possible that you might be able to order one from the factory when building the car with your salesperson ... if anyone has a good relationship with a sales guy they might be able to get some more info in that regard

as for people looking to add on a cooler it looks like you'll have to wait a bit more for the part number to finish being 'set up' for purchase

Dr. Design
01-27-12, 04:21 PM
FYI, we do have a coupe differential kit as well.

http://www.d3cadillac.com/graphics/ads/d3_december-2011/09CTSV%20Differential%20Cooler_.jpg

Kit comes complete with a much higher volume pump then the one that was previous pictured and includes a high CFM fan as well. These are the same ones that we had on the Cadillac Experience cars as well.

p.s. They are also in stock.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

thebigjimsho
01-27-12, 05:13 PM
Group buy!

M5eater
01-27-12, 07:50 PM
Group buy!

Not too shaby an idea. I was planning on a corsa exhaust with my bonus money, but a diff cooler is a good thing to have..

Bman777
01-31-12, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the help PeteK, We have been looking everywhere for info on this kit. To ebay it goes :)