: A movement in Pop?

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 07:43 AM
I have noticed recently that many of the most popular artists in the Pop genre are releasing songs that promote self-confidence, empowerment and equality. This is not a new idea, but it seems taboo in this volatile, drug sex and alcohol -centric music world. Some shining examples are Born This Way, Hair, and Bad Kids (among others) by Lady Gaga, Firework by Katy Perry, ****in' Perfect and Raise Your Glass among those by P!nk, We R Who We R by Ke$ha... Anybody have any other examples? What do you think?

STSS
08-19-11, 10:40 AM
lol... You've got a 1300 watt system and you're listening to Gaga and Pink?

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 11:48 AM
I love Gaga and P!nk, and my system makes ANYTHING sound good. I actually have taste... I listen to everything from Tchaikovsky to Tech N9ne. :thumbsup:

STSS
08-19-11, 11:52 AM
Things sure have changed since I was 19.....

orconn
08-19-11, 11:54 AM
^^^ It is for others to judge whether you have "taste" or not. Self appraisal can be very misleading!

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 11:54 AM
...and why do you say that?

orconn
08-19-11, 11:58 AM
...and why do you say that?

Just take it as one Leo to another.

Stingroo
08-19-11, 12:01 PM
Meh, my music is my music. Other people's opinions matter not. I listen to everything from metal to old school rap to orchestra pieces. Who cares if others like it?

That said, I tend to stay out of the pop arena, so I don't know any of the songs you mentioned other than "Born This Way", which I'm not a fan of.

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 12:01 PM
Just take it as one Leo to another.Oops, that was meant for the "things sure have have changed..." post, not yours. Lol. I said I have taste, I did not specify that it is good, after all. Subjective! :D

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 12:05 PM
Meh, my music is my music. Other people's opinions matter not. I listen to everything from metal to old school rap to orchestra pieces. Who cares if others like it?

That said, I tend to stay out of the pop arena, so I don't know any of the songs you mentioned other than "Born This Way", which I'm not a fan of.I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan. Most of the time, people can't get past the on-stage antics and crazy clothing and stuff, but once you do, there is good stuff. Just out of curiosity- why don't you like it?

mhamilton
08-19-11, 02:43 PM
I agree with you... when Born this Way debuted I thought it was just a little too "on the nose" with current events. But it was a catchy song. Idk, I guess it's a good thing in some ways that lots of pop songs are bringing attention to things. Have to say, as much as I love Gaga, I keep finding the first album to be the best, the 2nd was good, now there's only 2 or 3 songs on the new album I like.

vincentm
08-19-11, 03:18 PM
2 10" Kickers and a 500wat amp and i listen to Al Green, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, and Ice Cube. I'm stuck in the 90's and appreciate 70's music,

OffThaHorseCEO
08-19-11, 03:19 PM
gaga is garbage. she sings about the same crap that idiot kesha sings about, the biggest difference is she tries harder to be madonna than kesha does.
all female singers sing about now a days is going to the club and acting like whores
examples
'Cause your hung over and I'm broke
I lost my fake I.D.
But you lost the motel key
Spare me a frickin' dirty look

these songs have catchy beats that appeal to younger girls, and to top it off theyre condoning underage drinking (why the hell else would you need a fake id?)

vincentm
08-19-11, 03:21 PM
gaga is garbage. she sings about the same crap that idiot kesha sings about, the biggest difference is she tries harder to be madonna than kesha does.
all female singers sing about now a days is going to the club and acting like whores
examples
'Cause your hung over and I'm broke
I lost my fake I.D.
But you lost the motel key
Spare me a frickin' dirty look

these songs have catchy beats that appeal to younger girls, and to top it off theyre condoning underage drinking (why the hell else would you need a fake id?)

:yeah:

Destroyer
08-19-11, 10:47 PM
I love Gaga and P!nk, and my system makes ANYTHING sound good. I actually have taste... I listen to everything from Tchaikovsky to Tech N9ne. :thumbsup:Through my kids (11 yr old daughter mainly) I hear this stuff. I'm an '80's metal head (still) and I like Gaga and Pink. Catchy tunes and especially Pink, she's got balls. Actually if anyone ever looks, I think they both do. :)

77CDV
08-19-11, 11:06 PM
Pop goes through this "up with people" phase every 15 to 20 years or so. It alternates with gloom and doom/woe is me. I tend to favor standards, ancient, and classical music, so I'm not particularly tuned into to the flavor du jour.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-20-11, 12:43 AM
this thread should be "a bowel movement in pop".

cadillac kevin
08-20-11, 12:51 AM
I like some gaga (some of her songs are pretty good, some flat out suck) and pink, although I cant stand kesha or katy perry (they scream instead of sing and their lyrics arent that good)
most of the time I just listen to 80's metal/ rock and old school rap, along with a healthy does of prog rock and some older country music.

Jesda
08-20-11, 01:01 AM
The current trend in popular music is to emphasize repetition and short, hard-driving choruses.

"We're gonna GO GO GO GO GO GO! We're gonna GO GO GO GO GO GO! We're gonna GO GO GO GO GO GO!"

Repeat 10 times with a dance beat, then throw in some silly lyrics in between about the club, drinking, or letting loose.

There's nothing wrong with minimalism, and all popular music is in some way minimalistic. What I don't care for is that cold, empty starkness that dominates club-oriented synthesizer driven tunes. I prefer chords, ornate instrumentation, and melodies over solitary beats. Techno and electronica are typically well developed and complex, but once electronic instrumentation is watered down to Top 40 radio, the artfulness is somewhat lost.

There's less songwriting, less craft, and much more excitement in today's pop. I'm not a fan of it, but oh well. I suspect there won't be another album on the level of U2's "Joshua Tree" for a long, long time, at least not in this club-centric climate. This is a trend that will pass in 5-10 years, and like the transition from the 80s to the 90s, we'll see a migration back to acoustic instruments and jangly guitars.

Jesda
08-20-11, 01:04 AM
I like some gaga (some of her songs are pretty good, some flat out suck) and pink, although I cant stand kesha or katy perry (they scream instead of sing and their lyrics arent that good)
most of the time I just listen to 80's metal/ rock and old school rap, along with a healthy does of prog rock and some older country music.

Lady Gaga has some talent hiding behind her wacky outfits. I like that she specifically mentions Ace of Base (among others) as a strong influence. In terms of creativity, in the context of pop, AOB from 1992-2000 was a very underrated little band.

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 03:43 AM
gaga is garbage. she sings about the same crap that idiot kesha sings aboutHave you ever actually listened to Lady Gaga? There is only one song that I can think of that Lady Gaga talks about getting drunk in. Yes, Ke$ha sings about being a drunk whore, but at least she has fun with it. Here's a good Ke$ha quote: "I know you don't care what my middle name is I wanna be naked and you're wasted." Besides, she's making more money you could ever dream of, so that's a win in my book. Lol. Comparing Gaga to Ke$ha is comparing an Escalade to a Geo Tracker. Lady Gaga has immense talent if you aren't so shallow you can't get past the funky outfits and antics. This is one of my favorite Gaga performances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQRuYS_h-Vs&feature=related ...and you have to watch it until the very end.

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 04:10 AM
I really appreciate P!nk's music, though. Her songs touch base with normal people and hit really deep... Songs like ****in' Perfect and Family Portrait make me want to cry. She has a ton of talent, and she isn't afraid to say exactly what she feels.

Jesda
08-20-11, 04:32 AM
:jesda:

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 04:34 AM
Is that.... Wham? :helpless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A&ob=av3e

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 04:38 AM
...now that's what I call a bowel movement. :histeric:

Jesda
08-20-11, 04:40 AM
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/834/raptorb.gif

George Michael has more talent in his big ghey toe than your entire iTunes library combined.

Stingroo
08-20-11, 04:41 AM
I just don't see the appeal. Her voice is nice, and she plays the piano.

Okay, next?

Jesda
08-20-11, 04:45 AM
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/81/dac524aa77634135bb0087d232c85789/l.jpg

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 04:45 AM
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/834/raptorb.gif

George Michael has more talent in his big ghey toe than your entire iTunes library combined.I don't use iTunes. Zune > iPod ...and my library consists of everything from Glenn Miller (epic) to Gaga. I also have everything from the original Phantom soundtrack to Papa Roach. 50gb of happy. Lol. Name a decade and a genre (other than country and screamo shit. or Christian...) and I've got it.

Jesda
08-20-11, 04:54 AM
http://media.egotvonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/1496949592_9dc327ae77.jpg

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 04:55 AM
Manhattan Transfer to Metallica, Bach to Boyz II Men, Chopin to Cee-Lo Green, Al Green to Adele, The Beatles to the Black Eyed Peas (hate putting them in the same sentence...), Modest Mouse to Minnie Riperton (don't know who she is? YouTube that shizz.), Diana Ross to Daft Punk, Frank Sinatra to Far East Movement (again with the same sentence regret). I like music of all styles, but my latest listening trends are mostly Pop.

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 04:59 AM
(I don't care what any of you say. Deep down, I know you like Minnie Riperton!) Hahahaha

The-Dullahan
08-20-11, 05:16 AM
lol... You've got a 1300 watt system and you're listening to Gaga and Pink?

Well naturally. He has only one third the wattage it takes to properly listen to Acoustic Irish Folk.

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 05:18 AM
:suspect:
Well naturally. He has only one third the wattage it takes to properly listen to Acoustic Irish Folk.:histeric:

OffThaHorseCEO
08-20-11, 11:43 AM
Have you ever actually listened to Lady Gaga? There is only one song that I can think of that Lady Gaga talks about getting drunk in. Yes, Ke$ha sings about being a drunk whore, but at least she has fun with it. Here's a good Ke$ha quote: "I know you don't care what my middle name is I wanna be naked and you're wasted." Besides, she's making more money you could ever dream of, so that's a win in my book. Lol. Comparing Gaga to Ke$ha is comparing an Escalade to a Geo Tracker. Lady Gaga has immense talent if you aren't so shallow you can't get past the funky outfits and antics. This is one of my favorite Gaga performances:...and you have to watch it until the very end.

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/y-u-mad-tho.jpg

I hated her music before i saw her look like a power company logo or an idiot. And yes ive listened to it. I cant stand music on the rap channel lately, so i change it away, dont really like country so i end up on top 40 channels, and end up saying "what the f is this crap?" I stand by my original statement, gaga is garbage

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 12:16 PM
Anything's better than this. Lol. Just to get it stuck in people's heads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey-VNes5YQs
It's like the two worst things ever created put together!

RippyPartsDept
08-20-11, 01:58 PM
Stefani Germanotta (aka Lady Gaga before she went gaga)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM

you can tell she's very talented ... but the very talented are a dime a dozen (especially in NYC)

i'd like to hear the real story about her transformation... even wikipedia has two versions of reality in this regard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga

----

also, re: P!nk - this performance really turned me around from a hater to at least respecting her

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cmdxWcc3hc

you can tell she's not lip syncing like most vma performances seem to be (especially high flying acts like that one!)

orconn
08-20-11, 02:33 PM
I guess these two videos demonstrate, very well, what it takes to stand out from "the crowd" these days. No wonder there is so much mediocrity, when, so much more than just a good song and a good singer are demanded.

It makes you wonder how we were so captivated by folk, back in the sixties. But then we were coming from the ultra simplicity of and amateurism of rock in the 1950's.

77CDV
08-20-11, 02:42 PM
But Orconn, those folks actually had to be able to sing without any electronic enhancements, mainly because there weren't any. Have you listened to some of today's singers try to sing without all the electronica? A very few can pull it off, but most are just flat and a few are really bad.

Jesda
08-20-11, 02:43 PM
Pink and Gaga produce terrible songs for the radio.

So, no matter how exceptional their raw talent may be, the music that makes them a living and invades my ears at restaurants and stores is god-awful.

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 02:45 PM
I had my Zune on shuffle, and Joplin popped up. Went out to the car and jammed to Janis all the way home. Lol

77CDV
08-20-11, 02:54 PM
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, eh? :)

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 02:59 PM
"I wanna do a song of great social and political importance!
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?"

RippyPartsDept
08-20-11, 03:03 PM
social evolution as i like to call it... music is at the forefront because artists can act unilaterally

while politics (for instance) trails behind because of the gridlock and entrenchment of the status quo

RippyPartsDept
08-20-11, 03:06 PM
I guess these two videos demonstrate, very well, what it takes to stand out from "the crowd" these days. No wonder there is so much mediocrity, when, so much more than just a good song and a good singer are demanded.

It makes you wonder how we were so captivated by folk, back in the sixties. But then we were coming from the ultra simplicity of and amateurism of rock in the 1950's.

i'm not quite sure what you're getting at here?

do you mean the videos contrast against each other ?
the first being a singer songwriter at the piano and microphone and the other a performer/entertainer who sings as almost an afterthought?

orconn
08-20-11, 03:08 PM
But Orconn, those folks actually had to be able to sing without any electronic enhancements, mainly because there weren't any. Have you listened to some of today's singers try to sing without all the electronica? A very few can pull it off, but most are just flat and a few are really bad.

I guess, fortunately, I have not tried to listen to contemporary pop, either with or without electronic enhancements. I remember when about thirty five years ago almost all "live performance" music was either lip sinked or so augmented with electronic devices that it no longer sounded live. Even symphonic performances became so amplified that they were no longer really live performances, as far as the music was concerned. It was about this time that I stopped paying the premium to go to "live performances" and started "enhancing" my own home music system so that I could really hear the music instead of hearing the facsimile offer by the radio and live concerts.

When in the service, during the late sixties and early seventies, I realized many of my cohorts were ruining their hearing by listening to super loud volume "metal rock" etc. Perhaps today this phenomenon has produced music consumers who really can't hear the difference between live and "canned" music, having lost the hearing ability to hear the nuance of straight live sound. I am not criticizing those that prefer the sound of much of contemporary music, each to their own, but I, personally, prefer an authentic "live" sound when it is produced by first rate musicians.

Jesda
08-20-11, 03:13 PM
I have the same problem with Christina Aguilera -- stunning vocal talent wrapped up in stupid outfits and assembly-line song writing. I'm not able to endure the music to enjoy her voice.

The-Dullahan
08-20-11, 04:17 PM
:suspect::histeric:

I'm being serious. Why do I have all the amps and Subwoofers? Bagpipes...

That, Violin and Piano.

Nothing like a good Violin or Fiddle solo.

77CDV
08-20-11, 06:35 PM
What, no Celtic harp! :mad:

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 12:23 AM
Most all the songs mentioned in the OP about "power for the people" and "equality" are promoting gay, which see, to be the cool thing for the younger generation.

I like some of Lady Gaga's music. I have her first album, which I soon found my favorite song of hers. It was never released and far less annoying than some of her other songs.

It's got a great beat with really neat references to DJ'ing, some can be taken as sexual innuendos but not in your face.

xz5SY4zVOSA

I like all types of music though, classic to modern. If it has a good beat and bass, I'll probably like it. Of course, music sounds much better when played on a quality, well-tuned system - in the home or vehicle.

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 12:26 AM
StarStruck is one of her more fun songs on the first album. And OMG the bass.

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 12:29 AM
I liked her other mainstream songs off that album too, except for Paparazzi.... my gosh it was quite annoying.

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 12:31 AM
Paparazzi has a very odd bass line that isn't quite even here... The whole car just kind of vibrates... Bad Romance is a phenomenal song and a great video, as long as you see the underlying message. Otherwise it's just like wtf?? Lol

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 12:38 AM
Paparazzi has a very odd bass line that isn't quite even here... The whole car just kind of vibrates... Bad Romance is a phenomenal song and a great video, as long as you see the underlying message. Otherwise it's just like wtf?? Lol

http://vigilantcitizen.com/musicbusiness/lady-gagas-bad-romance-the-occult-meaning/

That message?

"Judas" is not a favorite either for the underlying message against the Bible.

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 12:47 AM
http://vigilantcitizen.com/musicbusiness/lady-gagas-bad-romance-the-occult-meaning/

That message?

"Judas" is not a favorite either for the underlying message against the Bible.That link is pretty nuts. Lol. Someone has FAR too much time on their hands... You do know that Gaga is a Roman Catholic, right? http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1625848/lady-gaga-bad-romance-video-about-tough-female-spirit.jhtml
Judas was simply explained by Gaga. http://necolebitchie.com/2011/05/09/lady-gaga-explains-judas-less-about-religion-more-about-ex-boyfriend/

I prefer to go by the direct statements of the person who came up with the songs.

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 12:52 AM
That link is pretty nuts. Lol. Someone has FAR too much time on their hands... You do know that Gaga is a Roman Catholic, right? http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1625848/lady-gaga-bad-romance-video-about-tough-female-spirit.jhtml
Judas was simply explained by Gaga. http://necolebitchie.com/2011/05/09/lady-gaga-explains-judas-less-about-religion-more-about-ex-boyfriend/

I prefer to go by the direct statements of the person who came up with the songs.

The person who "came up" with the song can also be influcened by people/groups of people willing to pay them large amounts of money.

Which side is her being Roman Catholic supposed to support? Quite an interesting history there too...

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 12:55 AM
The person who "came up" with the song can also be influcened by people/groups of people willing to pay them large amounts of money.

Which side is her being Roman Catholic supposed to support? Quite an interesting history there too...I sense cynicism. Lol. Either way, they're great to listen to in my opinion.

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 01:13 AM
I sense cynicism. Lol. Either way, they're great to listen to in my opinion.

Nah, more like New World Order...

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 01:21 AM
Just for your viewing (mostly listening) pleasure, since this is a music thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemWRToNYJY&feature=related
I have a ton of respect for Adele. Confident, extremely talented, and did I mention an AWESOME singer?

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 01:27 AM
This is a great song too. Epic vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVLJ4HOzi1c&feature=related

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 01:32 AM
...and to be completely counter-productive, I like Rihanna recorded, but that bitch can't sing worth a half of a shit live. That's why I like to listen to her, but I do not respect her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnSWmY6aztoLove this song. Lol.

Jesda
08-21-11, 01:38 AM
Live? How about on the radio? Her nasally voice sounds like the buzz of a cheap clock radio. It goes right into that unpleasant part of your brain like nails on a chalkboard.

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 01:42 AM
It goes right into that unpleasant part of your brain like nails on a chalkboard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofSnsGkops

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 02:01 AM
...and to be completely counter-productive, I like Rihanna recorded, but that bitch can't sing worth a half of a shit live. That's why I like to listen to her, but I do not respect her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnSWmY6aztoLove this song. Lol.

Oh yes, good song.

LOL - it JUST now started playing on the radio too. I remember the first time my girlfriend heard it, needless to say, she liked it a lot.

I like some of Rhianna's music.

Actually, I really like female vocalists. Nelly Furtado has a nice voice and some great music in her songs. I also like Alanis Morissette and Sherly Crow. Meredith Brooks "Bitch" was a good song too.

I have, and really like Madonna's "Ray of Light" album. it was very different than her other work. Excellent vocals and quite laid back/relaxing.

http://ukrmedia.biz/images/products/17_madonna-ray-of-light-cover-design.jpg

The acoustic version is very good too.

XS088Opj9o0&ob=av2e

Of course Madonna has symbolism of her own, that video was made years after the albums release.

More good voice and music, neat use of bass too.

FqqjqGVEXxg

Different album, still nice voice and music:

gLFWRDsx5AI&feature=related

For all us gearheads...

qYwgG2oyUbA

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 02:03 AM
ALL of this can totally **** off compared to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2S1I_ien6AIf this song doesn't make you want to move, you're paralyzed.

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 02:04 AM
Oh yes, good song.

LOL - it JUST now started playing on the radio too. I remember the first time my girlfriend heard it, needless to say, she liked it a lot.

I like some of Rhianna's music.

Actually, I really like female vocalists. Nelly Furtado has a nice voice and some great music in her songs. I also like Alanis Morissette and Sherly Crow. Meredith Brooks "Bitch" was a good song too.

I have, and really like Madonna's "Ray of Light" album. it was very different than her other work. Excellent vocals and quite laid back/relaxing.
I like Alanis, too. Madonna will always be a goddess in the world of Pop. 'Bitch' is an awesome song. It's like a power anthem. For bitches. Haha

Jesda
08-21-11, 02:09 AM
james blunt video
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brandondeleo
08-21-11, 02:09 AM
Just throwing this out there: Nothing Compares 2 U

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 02:23 AM
Excellent build up for the first 60 seconds. Already a really good song, and the remix didn't kill it.

0BHTjLLgVbQ

RippyPartsDept
08-21-11, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9jOVRtU

best madonna video in recent times (maybe ever) ... imho, of course

maybe it's the boombox, but this video rules

77CDV
08-21-11, 08:27 PM
The older Madonna gets, then more she looks like an old Italian woman. Oh, wait....