: '05 STS V6 - Brakes and Tires?

Ronen911
08-19-11, 12:15 AM
I am wondering which tires you guys would recommend. I am looking for all-season tires.

I currently have a set of Michelin Pilot MXM4 HX 235/50 R17 in the front and 255/45 R17 in the back.

Also, is there a way to get rid of the stagger on the car or will I run into trouble IE: having 4 250/45 R17's all around, since I am unable to rotate the tires. I have heard that people get errors on their car etc.

Also I am in the market for new brakes. Hoping to purchase these things this week. I am looking for extremely low brake dust and lasting performance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Ronen911

EChas3
08-19-11, 12:20 AM
The MXM's were OEM on my car. I like my Continental DWS much better.

Your wheels are different widths but you would be fine with the same tire on all four corners. I wouldn't go wider than 255.

Ronen911
08-19-11, 12:40 AM

Your wheels are different widths but you would be fine with the same tire on all four corners. I wouldn't go wider than 255.

The Continental DWS seems to have great reviews. Does anyone have any experience from having the same stagger setup that I have and going to having (4) Continental DWS 255/45 R17's? have you experienced any transmission issues? any errors or codes coming up

Also any brake suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

-Ronen911

deucedude2003
08-19-11, 05:06 AM
Just saw this post after I made other post on tires...duh!
Have you run these in snow, and what are your thoughts. Stopping etc...
That is my primary reason for purchase, the Mich stink in snow.
Thanks!

Ronen911
08-19-11, 07:18 AM
Just saw this post after I made other post on tires...duh!
Have you run these in snow, and what are your thoughts. Stopping etc...
That is my primary reason for purchase, the Mich stink in snow.
Thanks!

Hey man check this video out.

Tirerack.com did testing the arctic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thetirerack#p/search/1/Yo1sudvLNNQ

Just FYI from what I've read you'll hear their video say that the continental is a little slower handling wise than the other tires but its an exponential difference from the MXM4's.

Hahah so yeah I'm most likely getting these DWS' staggered or all 4 but I still need brakes

any suggestions?

deucedude2003
08-19-11, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the vid heads up.
I just went to like Autozone and got the best ceramic they had, stops fine and much less dust!
Good Luck!

1crock
08-19-11, 10:02 AM
I went from staggered Michelins to all four of the same size Hankook Ventus V4 ES. They do very nicely in the snow and rain and are good in the handling, ride and quiet departments as well. They were also available in the correct size while no one had or could get the DWS at the time. You might want to have a look at them. You won't have any problems if you decide to go to all four of the same size either.

Ronen911
08-19-11, 06:20 PM
I went from staggered Michelins to all four of the same size Hankook Ventus V4 ES. They do very nicely in the snow and rain and are good in the handling, ride and quiet departments as well. They were also available in the correct size while no one had or could get the DWS at the time. You might want to have a look at them. You won't have any problems if you decide to go to all four of the same size either.

what size tire are you running?

EChas3
08-19-11, 10:11 PM
My wife's RWD 2007 STS get Blizzaks in November & Conti DW in April. All-Season tires just aren't good enough for her in a 300 HP STS in Winter.

I run Conti DWS year-round on my 2006 AWD. With MRC & 18" wheels, I was looking for a more compliant ride. 235/50R18's suit me great.

1crock
08-20-11, 09:08 AM
what size tire are you running?

I went with what was on the front, 235s all around.

z06bigbird
08-20-11, 02:44 PM
Look at the reviews (survey results) at tirerack.com I think the Mich pilot sport PLUS is the best tire, and so do those who have rated them.

Ronen911
08-21-11, 12:14 AM
Look at the reviews (survey results) at tirerack.com I think the Mich pilot sport PLUS is the best tire, and so do those who have rated them.

Yeah. They are pretty good. I think though I am going with either a stag setup or 255/45 17 all around with the DWS. Just for the reason that I live in Chicago and my Michelin's actually were shite last winter to the point where I could not go out. That being the MXM4's, not the A/s, but given the price difference, I think I would go with the DWS over the Michelin sport plus due to snow performance and price.

Any suggestions on brakes?

-Ronen