: upgrading differential

carguy16
10-23-04, 10:50 AM
How would one go about doing this, taking a open end and converting it to a posi rear end???

http://www.drivetrainsuperstores.com/store_categories.asp?cat=34&t1=4023&t2=4713&t3=6124

I have no idea what equipment I would need, and how much it would cost. But, supposedly its one of the best things performance wise you can do to your car. More power to the ground...

ocjmakaveli
10-23-04, 05:06 PM
not super difficult but be prepared for at least 2-3 days to complete onlyabout 10 hours work for first time job but it's better to stop when you get frustrated or tired and continue the next day, you have to take your time rushing is always bad

good luck

check out http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/ for info

as far as the best things to do maybe, but definitely not the first performance mod you should do it won't make much difference if your car is stock in my opinion as for the posi but the gear upgrade will definitely feel a lot better of course if you go with gears higher than 3.42's a posi is recommended.

installing the posi isn't much different if you plan to do the gear upgrade too because the ring is located on the posi/case

all in all always have a back up plan and having a friend or help of some kind is always good

tools required are ALL listed on that site i listed above

one thing to be noted is you don't need a3 foot breaker bar i used a 2 foot breaker bar and it was very easy to take off the pinion nut and easy to tighten too.

barge master
10-24-04, 08:28 AM
OCJ, how did the finished product come out for you??

ocjmakaveli
10-24-04, 08:55 AM
Its working fine although i must admit the pinion seal started leaking the first day i used it, it was just a little drip drip drip but being a perfectionist i took off the driveshaft and replaced the seal in 10-15 mins and I also put some gasket sealant on the driveshaft yoke inner race where it meets the pinion shaft I think this was the actual cause of the leak and I didn't have any recommended sealing grease/lubricant so thus far the gasket stuff worked fine and I haven't had any noises or vibrations and ran it upto 90 mph the other day. Overall worth it and I got my stock performance back which i had lost after putting slightly bigger wheels on my fleet.

my rear disc upgrade is cool too but i have yet to receive my stealth bolt i ordered from clear image so hopefully i'll receive it soon and get a real feel to the brake upgrade.

on a side note i went to see THE GRUDGE and it's a damn good movie HIGHLY recommended very scary i mean very and not disgusting like most other wannabe horror films this is a TRUE horror movie. Best horror movie I've seen in the last 10 years(though i'm 19 lol).

as for a thriller/horror go see THE SAW i got a sneak preview of the whole film and I PROMISE it won't dissappoint you has a good plot but it is a harsh movie with explicit scenes.

carguy16
10-24-04, 09:51 AM
I wont be doing it myself, probably take it to a shop or maybe autoshop at school...

not super difficult but be prepared for at least 2-3 days to complete onlyabout 10 hours work for first time job but it's better to stop when you get frustrated or tired and continue the next day, you have to take your time rushing is always bad

good luck

check out http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/ for info

as far as the best things to do maybe, but definitely not the first performance mod you should do it won't make much difference if your car is stock in my opinion as for the posi but the gear upgrade will definitely feel a lot better of course if you go with gears higher than 3.42's a posi is recommended.

installing the posi isn't much different if you plan to do the gear upgrade too because the ring is located on the posi/case

all in all always have a back up plan and having a friend or help of some kind is always good

tools required are ALL listed on that site i listed above

one thing to be noted is you don't need a3 foot breaker bar i used a 2 foot breaker bar and it was very easy to take off the pinion nut and easy to tighten too.

ocjmakaveli
10-24-04, 06:26 PM
Oh well this makes everything a whole lot easier taking the "open end" and converting to a posi isn't much different than the gear change there will be a couple details not included but the manual etc. with the posi should take care of it.

basically.... hopefully you are getter a lower gearset along with the posi you should just bolt the new ring to the posi case and change the old pinion with the new one and install along with usual pinion settings/backlash etc.

if you have the money for a posi then it's worth doing at the same time as the gear upgrade will save you money and time rather than doing them at 2 separate times.

I would suggest buying a FSM and that site i posted should give you a basic idea of what is involved just keep in mind the "differential' would be replaced by the posi when putting it back together.

for basic parts you need I know you need the gears both pinion and ring.

posi and master install kit recommended

GM limited slip additive is a must for a posi

and gear lube 80w-90

all i can remember for know should be about everything you can also ask when you buy them or who you plan to install them for you.