: I NEED BIG HELP.....1981 Cadillac 368 6.0 V8-6-4

08-18-11, 06:44 PM
On the 368 engine cylinder heads there is some kind of pipe that runs from one head to the other. Please does anyone know what that piece is called. Mine was rusted and broke while taking the heads off. It looks like some kind of exhaust stuff....

I have subscribed to this thread so I will get an email on any replies...


Also any pictures you may have of how the brackets and stuff mount up......

08-18-11, 07:41 PM
The pipe that goes from head to head is for the A.I.R. system... You have a so called smog pump, really a air pump that pumps air into the exhaust port in the heads.. this is to help burn unburned fuel in the cat.. Unless you live in a state that checks you don't really need the system..Are you still letting the ECM shit off cylinders? These motors don't really have a lot of power... What do you plan on doing to it.. What I have done to these cars,I had 2 of them, is this.... Disconnect the wire from the transmission that tells the ECm it is in 3rd... that stops cylinder shut off... Then take off the vacume pump... Then take off the air pump and hoses with deverter valve and get a crank pulley and water pump pulley off a 425 motor ... thats a 77-79 full size caddy... make sure is does not have a air pump... Just put plugs in you heads where the tubes were...Off that same 77-79 caddy, now I'm guessing your car is RWD... take off the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe... When you bolt those manifolds to your heads leave off the plate at was inbetween them.. bolt the manifold right to the head,... nothing inbetween...you can connect the Y pipe to the cat, will have to adapt it to size the pipe size down.. you will notice the power after changing the exhaust manifolds...

08-19-11, 12:07 PM
What would I ask for at advance auto for that pipe?

08-19-11, 10:36 PM
So you do have RWD? If you can find a 1977 to 1979 to get these parts your best off to get one off the car.. Stock ones were stainless steel.. one from autozone will not be...

08-19-11, 11:44 PM
YEs RWD. So you can get it from autozone. What is it called?

08-21-11, 02:17 PM
The only place you have a chance on finding a tube is a junkyard or a place like MTS who might have a good used one...

08-21-11, 03:19 PM
Great something else Im going to have to make