: Replacing Suede Inserts on Recaro Seats with Factory Leather

Kage99
08-18-11, 04:59 PM
Got a 2011 CTS-V Coupe. Love IT! Previously owned a 2006 CTS-V.

Car is Black Raven with Recaro seats and saffron-coloured interior.

I am interested in replacing the saffron-coloured suede seat inserts with Recaro factory-matched saffron-coloured yellow (hope I said that right). I don't like the suede on the seats too much and I think a tad dark yellow leather would be both more practical and would look better.

Recommended place in Toronto estimates about $1500-$2000 and will need vehicle for 3 days (eeks!).

Has anyone ever done this? If so, what were prices/results/time like? Any pictures to share?

Kage99.

Kage99
08-22-11, 12:41 PM
Anyone? I think I am going to pull the trigger on this. Will post pics after completion.

Squirlz
08-22-11, 02:26 PM
I have no info to offer but I do wish I could get the yellow inserts on my wagon. Can I have yours? :-)

baabootoo
08-22-11, 03:56 PM
Unless you want hotter, and slipperier seats, I'd keep it stock. This is a great change for leather seats.

M5eater
08-22-11, 09:59 PM
$1500-2000 sounds about right if you want it done correctly, to factory quality *and* using high quality materials. You're not asking them to re-rap these (which btw are huge reccaro's and not some flat sedan chairs with some leather on them) you're asking them to re-use the factory leather and *just* replace the inserts correct? Aside from being in agreement than suede > leather for the middle parts.

Kage99
08-23-11, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the opinions guys.

Yes, I completely agree that if you want something done right, you have to pay the price for it.

I just got off the phone with another shop that the Dealer recommended (which also happened to also do some awesome leather repairs on another vehicle that I took in) and the new shop also quoted about $2000-$2500 to replace the suede inserts on all four seats. The new guy I spoke to was quite honest and knowledgeable as well. He told me that he could not replace the suede with Recaro leather as the company only colour matches with their own leather (which is higher quality than the leather Recaro uses) and the colour matching results are generally spot on. He told me that even if they ordered Recaro leather for me, the colour would likely not be identical to what is currently in the vehicle (eg. door panel inserts, dash stiching, etc) because the Recaro leathers would be sourced from different batches. Seemed reasonable. He also said that they would need the vehicle for 3-5 days and his shop likely can't do the project until mid-late September because they have a massive job to do at the moment (the fact that they get big contracts is also a good sign). He lastly indicated that the internal criteria they use to determine whether a job has been satisfactorily completed far exceeds anything that a customer would even notice. Yes, a little bit of salesperson talk, but he certainly seemed to be a guy that was passionate about his job.

Anyway: still have to save up the dough but I think I'm going to end up doing this. Yes, suede/alcat. provides better grip for aggressive driving but I do really like how practical leather is, especially if it gets stained.

Stay tuned.

Kage99