: Exploding sunroof....

fleadh
08-18-11, 04:05 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226008_896349800653_218120_40570990_353379_n.jpg

Driving down the 101 freeway in traffic at around 40mph at 8am monday morning. The front panel of the sunroof exploded with no warning. There were no bumps and as far as we could tell nothing hit the car........

I dropped it off at the dealer this morning for the rear suspension recall, 30k mile service and for them to look at the sunroof. Hope GM steps up to make it rite, or after buying a Z06, the CTS-V and my ZR1, I definitely won't be keeping them or having anything nice to say.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? It has been pretty hot the last few weeks and the CTS-V hasn't been driven much. It's also been in the driveway so it's been exposed to the temp changes recently.

-mike

M5eater
08-18-11, 04:08 PM
If you had kept it in 65F storage for a week and then went for a drive in 100+ temps I have heard of windshields cracking, but exploding tempered glass? Never randomly like that. I hope you had the shade up and didn't get blasted with glass?

fleadh
08-18-11, 04:11 PM
Ya, the shade was up and caught most of the glass. A bunch of it still spilled out over the sides onto us but it wasn't in the face or anything. Could have been much worse....

-mike

LV_V
08-18-11, 04:51 PM
Did you have the sunroof glass tinted? I've been told my both installers that I've dealt with that the sunroof glass can crack or break if its tinted (thus, they would tint my sunroof on my V or my Range Rover).

hulksdaddy
08-18-11, 05:26 PM
I think someone else had this happen?

Either way, that's BS. Should never happen. Just glad you're all right.

fleadh
08-18-11, 05:46 PM
Did you have the sunroof glass tinted? I've been told my both installers that I've dealt with that the sunroof glass can crack or break if its tinted (thus, they would tint my sunroof on my V or my Range Rover).

Nope, none of the glass on the car is tinted.

-mike

darvish
08-18-11, 06:25 PM
When glass like what is in the sunroof is tempered, it sets up the crystalline structure in a way that makes it crumble when it breaks. If there was a chip scratch or other flaw in it, it is not unheard of it to shatter without warning. Even a chip or scratch you would not see unless you used magnification can cause this.

I have seen it happen to tempered glass before.

turbol15
08-18-11, 07:29 PM
well at least your ok. my v has only 1200 miles on it and i am sorry i bought it. i will be unloading it shortly. gm is the same ole shit gm.

stabie
08-18-11, 07:50 PM
Glass is funny stuff. I remember a recall on glass table patio sets. If touched a certain way, the whole top of the table crumbled. The W hotel/residence in austin just recently took all the glass to keep you from falling off the balcony out. The plates were shattering and scattering glass on the street and pool areas of the hotel. Amazingly no one was below. Not sure how they plan on fixing it. They replaced with some very attractive plywood:) Hopefully your dealer will simply replace the sunroof. Should be covered by the warranty I would think. 30K miles is under the warranty limit.

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 08:40 PM
well at least your ok. my v has only 1200 miles on it and i am sorry i bought it. i will be unloading it shortly. gm is the same ole shit gm.And will you leave with it?

Gary Wells
08-18-11, 09:25 PM
Very sorry to hear about the exploding sunroof. I believe that this is the first occurrence of this on these cars that I have heard of.
Hope that this all ends well with your satisfaction.

Gary Wells
08-18-11, 09:30 PM
well at least your ok. my v has only 1200 miles on it and i am sorry i bought it. i will be unloading it shortly. gm is the same ole shit gm.

I do not wish to cloud up this thread with the concerns regarding your car, but I am curious what could have made you unhappy within the first 1200 miles.
Are you going to start a thread on this?

tedcmiller
08-18-11, 10:49 PM
Another reason not to have sunroof.

Mike02z
08-18-11, 11:13 PM
It stinks that this happened and I'm glad you are OK.

I know people complain about the Sunroof but I love mine and have had no issues. I use it quite often and even if something did happen, I'm covered by the warranty and not going to worry about it. For every horror story about the sunroof there are probably 1000 other folks with no issue. I like those odds :)

mpouls1
08-18-11, 11:54 PM
Another member had his explode also. Don't remember the specifics. Got it fixed. Good luck using the search function.

LitiGATOR
08-19-11, 01:18 AM
I do not wish to cloud up this thread with the concerns regarding your car, but I am curious what could have made you unhappy within the first 1200 miles.
Are you going to start a thread on this?

As mentioned, I recall the same exact thing happened to someone else.

Gary Wells
08-19-11, 07:15 AM
As mentioned, I recall the same exact thing happened to someone else.
At my age, I am happy if I can remember my name the next morning, and not to be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, but when you're my age you may not remember any better than I do.
And the post that you copied is for the dude that is unhappy with his car at 1200 miles, not the OP. In another post, I stated that I did not remember another car with this problem.
Are you sure that you copied the correct post?
And as far as my memory or lack of knowledge about the first exploding sunroof,
Oops, my bad.

buddyg
08-19-11, 10:28 AM
And will you leave with it?

Let's hope! Troll same old troll!

jpoole
08-20-11, 03:37 PM
Sorry this happened, GM better take care of it. I have been worried about mine doing this for a while. I live in DFW area and I had my sunroof tinted with 20 metal tint. We just set a record here with the 2nd longest 100+ days in a row and will set the the record for 2nd most 100+ days during a summer on Monday. I was worried about this happening to me, but after this summer, I don't think I am going to have a problem. Hopefully this is a minor occurance type problem.

mpouls1
08-20-11, 05:58 PM
I was bored...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/224108-2011-ctsv-sunroof-shattered-ultraview.html#post2521148

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 08:18 PM
Does the glass make any creaking or ticking noises before Hulk Smash?

hulksdaddy
08-20-11, 08:50 PM
Does the glass make any creaking or ticking noises before Hulk Smash?

Someone call me? :)

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 09:31 PM
hmm...

fleadh
08-26-11, 09:28 PM
Just wanted to post an update and thank Putnam GM/Cadillac in Burlingame, CA for taking care of the car. I explained what happened and dropped it off for the sunroof repair, the rear suspension recall, and a scheduled service. They worked it out with the regional rep and had the sunroof repaired at no cost, seems as good as new. No squeaks or anything either.

I didn't even have to argue it with anyone. Now with a clear conscious I can test that Grand-Am Camaro in October and speak nicely about GM if anyone asks. :-)

-mike

elphil
08-26-11, 09:35 PM
Glad GM is taking care of it. The car's comprehensive insurance would cover that type of loss also.

King335i
08-27-11, 03:35 AM
I remember reading about a member of E90post having this happen with his E90 sedan, so sometimes it just happens and it's not GM's fault, despite their often lackluster quality control.

thebigjimsho
08-27-11, 04:20 AM
Just wanted to post an update and thank Putnam GM/Cadillac in Burlingame, CA for taking care of the car. I explained what happened and dropped it off for the sunroof repair, the rear suspension recall, and a scheduled service. They worked it out with the regional rep and had the sunroof repaired at no cost, seems as good as new. No squeaks or anything either.

I didn't even have to argue it with anyone. Now with a clear conscious I can test that Grand-Am Camaro in October and speak nicely about GM if anyone asks. :-)

-mikeI had a brief email correspondence with Putnam before I settled on my '09 from Batchelor in San Antonio. They seemed very nice. I almost wish I bought from them as the black on black '09 with Recaros and MT had the midnight sapele I now crave...