: Towing with a V-Wagon?

FLTRI
08-18-11, 03:40 PM
This may be a stupid question, but can I tow with a V-Wagon? If so, how much weight?

Thanks!

M5eater
08-18-11, 04:20 PM
GM will tell you that you can't tow period. However, the rest of the sane world ususaly says at least 1-2 tons for large vehicles(commodore's with the L76 can manage a Class 3-- 4600lbs), you could probally take it up to 2-2.5 tons since the V's braking and power is plenty, but I would be worried about the delphi's past 1.5/ and approaching 2 tons. It would be harder to find a Class II hitch than acutally towing something that large too.

elphil
08-18-11, 04:25 PM
The manual pages 9-57 and 9-58 states the CTS-V and Coupe are "neither designed or intended to tow a trailer".

darvish
08-18-11, 06:35 PM
That is a shame. I would love to get a nice light aluminum trailer and tow my Elise to track days.. then track the wagon ........

Low_ET
08-18-11, 10:32 PM
Even though the Owners Manual says not to tow with a V - They sell trailer hitches to fit the CTS-V.

They have 1-1/4 inch receivers, a 200 pound tongue weight, and 2000 pound capacity. The hitches are really weak. They bolt through the sheet metal inside the trunk with a backing bar to spread the load. It isn't a very good system and you have to drill holes in your trunk under the carpet. I wouldn't use it for anything heavy. If you google "Trailer Hitch", you will find a dozen companies with a V-specific hitch.

che_socal
08-19-11, 12:49 AM
What is the reason GM says you can't/shouldn't tow with the V, does anyone know?

Low_ET
08-19-11, 07:19 AM
What is the reason GM says you can't/shouldn't tow with the V, does anyone know?

It may be that they just haven't tested it since the production run of Vs is so small compared with most other cars. They probably thought no one would tow with a car like this. There really isn't a good place to attach a trailer hitch anyway.

I had a 1996 Impala SS. It was basically a Caprice with a heavier frame, bigger brakes, more coolers, and a few other beefed-up components. GM said that the Caprice towing was 5,000 pounds and the Impala was 2,000 pounds. I called GM and asked why. Their Tech Line folks took two days and three different people to get me an answer: "The aluminum wheels are too weak." So I asked if I changed the wheels to the Caprice wheels for towing, could I then tow 5,000 pounds? The answer,: "No."

M5eater
08-19-11, 07:31 AM
It may be that they just haven't tested it since the production run of Vs is so small compared with most other cars. They probably thought no one would tow with a car like this. There really isn't a good place to attach a trailer hitch anyway.

Or it may be that trucks in america make up more than 50% of automotive sales. Or that American's are overall poor drivers. Or the idea of a 556 HP 0-60 in under 4.5second car towing something is halarious. Whatever the reason, you're pretty safe with a Class I. You'll have a harder time finding a Class 2 or 3 hitch state-side than you will towing anything.

FLTRI
08-19-11, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I did a little searching and found this :http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Cadillac/CTS/2011/11013.html?vehicleid=2011302568 It's designed for the CTS Sport Wagon. Think it would fit a V-Wagon too, or is the frame or exhaust different???

M5eater
08-19-11, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I did a little searching and found this :http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Cadillac/CTS/2011/11013.html?vehicleid=2011302568 It's designed for the CTS Sport Wagon. Think it would fit a V-Wagon too, or is the frame or exhaust different???

These Class I's bolt through the tire well area, so it should fit right up.

CTSVKINGWAGON
08-19-11, 01:44 PM
The maximum trailering capacity is 192.0 as listed in the comparison features and specs page on the Cadillac website.

FLTRI
08-21-11, 01:03 PM
I sent the e-trailer folks a question on their hitch on a V-Wagon. Here's their reply:

Thank you for asking the following question:
Hi, Will this hitch fit a 2011 CTS-V wagon, or is it just for the non-V Cadillac wagons?

Answer:
According to my contacts in Tech Services at Curt Manufacturing, the Curt class I receiver you referenced, part # 11013 will not fit the CTS-V wagon because of differences in the exhaust system and possibly the rear fascia. My contact went on to tell me that they have not yet seen that particular model, which leads me to believe that it may be some time before a hitch is available for that vehicle, if at all.

Looks like I won't be turning the V into a Kenworth...

elphil
08-21-11, 01:46 PM
Would be like hooking a thoroughbred race horse up to a plow.

adrian-s
10-14-11, 12:37 AM
Has anyone bought the hitch and tried it out yet?

-adrian

dcc8203
10-14-11, 10:34 PM
I am interested in putting a hitch on my Vagon to carry the Thule Cargo Carrier. I thought it used to be listed on the Cadillac website for the '11 Vagon as an accessory, but I don't see it listed now for either the Sport Wagon or the Vagon.

Any idea why?

Here is the link:

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Cargo-Carriers/HitchCargo

dcc8203
10-15-11, 12:37 AM
Well, after a few beers I was able to find the link to the Thule Hitch Mounted Storage Compartment for the '12 Vagon. But the site doesn't list a hitch to go with it.

Linky: http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/en-US/CTS-V%2bWagon/Cargo%2bManagement%2b-%2bExterior/Hitch-Mounted%2bStowage%2bCompartment/2012

Any thoughts about a hitch for a Vagon that would accomodate that?