: Beefed up Wheel Bearings...

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 12:02 PM
So I'm bringing my V in for an OnStar antenna replacement today. But I'm also having what I feel is a wheel bearing failure.

If so, I remember that Hennessey had beefed up front bearings on their car and I remember the name Heinrecy being thrown in there as part of the suspension development. And since I'm assuming a bearing is not a warranty item on a 32K mile car, I'd rather spend money on a track quality replacement.

Any ideas? Vendors? Part numbers?

Thanks...

JFJr
08-18-11, 12:44 PM
I can't help regarding the wheel bearings, but am curious about the issues you are having with the OnStar antenna. Sometimes it takes me 3 tries to download a destination to my nav system, which originated from Google or Mapquest, and I don't know if that is an antenna problem. Hopefully, someone can help you with the wheel bearings.

Jud

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 12:57 PM
I can't help regarding the wheel bearings, but am curious about the issues you are having with the OnStar antenna. Sometimes it takes me 3 tries to download a destination to my nav system, which originated from Google or Mapquest, and I don't know if that is an antenna problem. Hopefully, someone can help you with the wheel bearings.

JudNah, everything works fine on my nav and OnStar, in general. But I get the red light on the mirror way too often. OnStar was able to do a remote diagnosis and my antenna was faulty. The dealer backed that up. Took forever to get the part in, though.

As an aside, how do you use google to zap to the nav? I've never seen the way to do it, like I could mapquest. Having an Android phone, I'd love to zap destinations on the fly...

JFJr
08-18-11, 01:23 PM
As an aside, how do you use google to zap to the nav? I've never seen the way to do it, like I could mapquest. Having an Android phone, I'd love to zap destinations on the fly...I use a desktop computer for either map service. I have an iPhone 4 and just went to the Google Maps site with the phone's browser, but didn't see a way to send a destination to OnStar. If I find a way to do it with the phone, I'll PM you. Are you having any trouble downloading destinations from Google Maps to OnStar using a desktop? I've found Google to be even easier than MapQuest.

RippyPartsDept
08-18-11, 01:27 PM
Bearing should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty... 4yr/50k (right?)

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 02:05 PM
'09. 4/100.

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 02:07 PM
I use a desktop computer for either map service. I have an iPhone 4 and just went to the Google Maps site with the phone's browser, but didn't see a way to send a destination to OnStar. If I find a way to do it with the phone, I'll PM you. Are you having any trouble downloading destinations from Google Maps to OnStar using a desktop? I've found Google to be even easier than MapQuest.I haven't done it with google. Just mapquest...

hulksdaddy
08-18-11, 02:25 PM
Jim, what's the symptom that leads you to believe the wheel bearing is going?

M5eater
08-18-11, 02:48 PM
I will be the first to say I have not heard of wheel bearings as a part that needed to be 'upgraded' before.

JFJr
08-18-11, 02:50 PM
I haven't done it with google. Just mapquest...I just tried MapQuest (web site and app), too, with my iPhone and didn't find a way to send a destination to OnStar from the phone. Maybe Google and MapQuest will add that later to their mobile sites so we aren't chained to a desktop or notebook computer to use that function.

OldRoadDawg
08-18-11, 06:09 PM
Nah, everything works fine on my nav and OnStar, in general. But I get the red light on the mirror way too often. OnStar was able to do a remote diagnosis and my antenna was faulty. The dealer backed that up. Took forever to get the part in, though.
Had mine replaced last week for the same reason. Had to make a couple trips back to the dealer though. The dealer had to send out the piece that mounts on the roof for painting. They are shipped out in black plastic.
One would think that the cap could be popped off, but the dealer said the antenna parts are mold inside it. Weird??

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 09:30 PM
Jim, what's the symptom that leads you to believe the wheel bearing is going?Nothing that screams bearing. But a bunch of little symptoms.

When I was at the Tail, the super tight right handers would create a mechanical hesitation. I was thinking it might have been part of the stabilitrak but I never saw an indicator. On those tight turns, it felt as though the front left brake engaged for a split second.

On certain bumps, I get a hollow feeling, a very, very slight, clunk that reminds me of bad sway bar bushings on my SHO. Until recently, my V was tight and solid over every bump.

The car will drift to one side more quickly than I remember if letting go of the wheel on the highway.

The front end shimmies a bit under braking at highway speeds. You could say that could be brakes, but...

The front end shimmied similarly on a 0-100 run up to my house the other night. I had never felt that before.

And when I turn the car side to side like on a slalom section of an autocross, it just doesn't feel as connected as it should.

Now, none of these symptoms are IN YOUR FACE. Just subtle feelings that make me think something is amiss. Now, I've psyched myself into thinking I've had issues before. I had a shimmy a couple months ago that ended up being a RR wheel out of round. Nothing major but it vibrated the whole car slightly at highway speeds and spooked me enough to not run at V-Day. Must be the SHO owner in me. I think I replaced every inner and outer tie rod, bearing, rotor, bushing, bracket there was twice over in the 218k miles I had it for. I notice anything going on in the suspension...

JFJr
08-19-11, 08:46 AM
I'm no mechanic, but have you done the tie rod TSB? Also, there is a known issue with rear knuckle bushings coming loose. When my car was in for the tie rod TSB, they replaced the left rear knuckle.

Wannago
08-19-11, 09:26 AM
My car seemed to be tramlining really bad. Turned out to be my driver's side rear tie rod, but not due to the TSB lock-nut issues. My tie rod end bolt was working itself out:

Mikels
08-19-11, 10:09 AM
Nothing that screams bearing. But a bunch of little symptoms.

When I was at the Tail, the super tight right handers would create a mechanical hesitation. I was thinking it might have been part of the stabilitrak but I never saw an indicator. On those tight turns, it felt as though the front left brake engaged for a split second.

V already has significantly stiffer wheel bearings.

In addition, an anti-knockback algorithm was developed that looks at lateral loads and will 'prime' brakes through ABS system to reset brake pads closer to rotor after transitional lateral events.

This is likely what you noticed. While it does apply pressure to brake calipers, it is only enough to move pads back close to rotor – not enough to create a braking effect like Stabilitrak.

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 11:40 AM
V already has significantly stiffer wheel bearings.

In addition, an anti-knockback algorithm was developed that looks at lateral loads and will 'prime' brakes through ABS system to reset brake pads closer to rotor after transitional lateral events.

This is likely what you noticed. While it does apply pressure to brake calipers, it is only enough to move pads back close to rotor – not enough to create a braking effect like Stabilitrak.Good to know. Thank you.

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 11:42 AM
My tie rods were up to snuff. At least the bolts, anyway. I had checked that already...

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 11:43 AM
Can anyone list any suspension TSBs that I can throw out for the dealer to check if they can't find anything?

GMX322V S/C
08-19-11, 12:20 PM
I just tried MapQuest (web site and app), too, with my iPhone and didn't find a way to send a destination to OnStar from the phone. Maybe Google and MapQuest will add that later to their mobile sites so we aren't chained to a desktop or notebook computer to use that function.

If you switch to "Classic" or "Desktop" Google Maps on your iPhone, does the method appear?

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 03:37 PM
Dealer called and they can't find any problems and suspension is tight. So sometime this weekend I'm throwing on my track tires and going for a drive. Maybe it's moar bent rims...

RapidRob
08-19-11, 07:13 PM
^^^ - You're probably going to have to demo the problem to them Jim. When you verify the issue for yourself again, drive directly to the dealer and give the SA/mech. a ride ..

Rob

thebigjimsho
08-19-11, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I just need to go to another dealer. I moved to central MA and my dealer is closer to Boston. Flying home from work to pick up my V and fly back to Boston and then do it again to pick it up gets old.