: EGR removal after S/S fuel rail

haymaker
10-23-04, 01:21 AM
My 97 SLS has been setting a P0404 code (EGR open position performance). The first time the code was set was the day after my first overheat and limp home. I removed and cleaned the EGR. The code stopped setting. Removing the EGR was tight but the fuel lines and mounting plate allowed just enough give to remove the stud-bolt on the front side of the EGR. This was during the time the original plastic fuel rail was on the engine. I timeserted the engine about a month ago and shortly after it was up and running I received the fuel rail recall in the mail. The dealer replace the old plastic rail with the new stainless steel rail supplied in accordance with the recall. The P0404 code has set several times after the installation of the timeserts. I always clear the code but it resets maybe every third day of driving. Yesterday I decided to again remove and clean the EGR in hopes of eliminating the setting of the P0404 code. Guess what? That little bit of give I had with the old plastic fuel rail that allowed me to remove the front stud-bolt that retains the fuel lines at the EGR, itís no longer there. The new S/S fuel rail is locked in tight. I wonder if the new EGR removal procedure includes removing the fuel rail? Maybe I just didnít try hard enough but it felt pretty tight to me. The last thing I need is a leak from the new fuel rail. Has anyone had success removing the EGR with out first removing the new S/S fuel rail?

Pjs
10-23-04, 11:05 AM
I've still got the plastic one on mine and have to pull the whole thing up and stand it on end to get to the bolt for the EGR

Ranger
10-23-04, 09:14 PM
Looks like you have to remove the fuel rail. See the second to the last post in this thread.
http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3632

haymaker
10-23-04, 11:55 PM
Thanks Ranger. Wish I could find a new EGR for $59. Looks like itís time to modify the fuel line tab at the EGR stud-bolt. There has to be a better way to remove the EGR. I am very thankful that Cadillac recalled and replaced the problem fuel rail at no charge but this was a golden opportunity to fix the fuel rail tab connection at the EGR. I guess they decided it wasnít necessary. To bad.

chazglenn3
10-25-04, 06:52 PM
Here's another one on eBay. They seem to be there all the time. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7929237959&category=33607&sspagename=WDVW

Charles

haymaker
10-25-04, 10:14 PM
Thanks chazglenn3 I'll check it out.