: Should I really follow dealership?

suckit
10-23-04, 01:36 AM
I just got my scheduled oil and filter change service done today at local dealership. I've taken my Lade to this dealership a few times now and have always recieved excellent customer service. Anyways, I got a free inspection for doing the oil change and they told me that I had to replace all my breaks?!?! The worker told me my roters were all "rusted" and that I needed to get them all replaced. He told me new break pads were also a must b/c it wouldn't be good to use old ones with new roters. I began to feel kind of iffy about the whole thing when I asked the technician about my interest in possibly upgrading my front breaks to a bigger break kit like BREMBOs because of future upgrade to 24" wheels. The guy got sorta upset and basically told me that he would never advice me to use anything like that. He tells me that stock replacement breaks are the way to go and that I should get them done ASAP. Afterwards I decided to call a friend that owns a Navigator with 23" wheels. He told me that if my roters are just "rusted", that I didn't have to waste $1500 at the dealership, all I needed to do was go to a shop and have the roters re-surfaced for only $400. I trust my friend more than this technician and will opt to go with the re-surfacing. What would you guys do in this situation???

hcvone
10-23-04, 09:04 AM
What year truck do you have?

DBrisson
10-23-04, 09:07 AM
Rust where? The biggest thing with rotors is the thickness and if they are flat or not. If the have run-out or the are warped they can be cut or replaced. If there is just rust on the edge where no brake pad makes contact them, that is a normal thing. The surface where the shoe or pad makes contact with the rotor should be free or cracks and problems. That area will even surface rust after washing or sitting but should clean up after the first stop. Even the resurface sounds high it should be about 25 to 50 per rotor.

I know gm had problems with putting thin rotors or some trucks and cars (camaro and firebirds since I had 2) and the most common problem was the rotors warping after heavy and hard stops. I have not heard many complaints from the suv owners on boards about rotor warping.

I think this dealer is giving you the run around. On our heavy trucks the pads should go bad way before the rotors.

D.Brisson
04 escala

suckit
10-23-04, 03:47 PM
What year truck do you have?

2002 AWD LADE

suckit
10-23-04, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I figured... I guess I'll just have them resurfaced.

notinblue
10-25-04, 12:03 AM
I would really only recomend resurfacing if the brake pedal has some vibration when stopping otherwise you should really only need pads. :D

hcvone
10-25-04, 12:08 AM
It is not uncommon that your rotor rust when you wash the truck or it sits in the rain, a few stops and they are fine, as said above only resurface if your brakes are pulsing.

T_Dogg8
10-25-04, 09:14 AM
yeah, my rotors on my old car almost always had rust on them since i think i washed the car more than i drove it :D you probably have nothing to worry about.

joshuap
10-25-04, 11:00 AM
I have also spoken to many mechanics who say you should NEVER change both pads and rotors at the same time. You should do one, wait a bit, and then do the other.

suckit
10-25-04, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I thought my brakes felt fine. I never heard anything or felt any vibration. I might have them resurfaced anyways after I throw on bigger wheels since the rotors will be noticable.

OCESCALADE
10-26-04, 09:50 PM
Why. you are being conned. If the pads are almost gone then yes you need a break job. If there is cracks in the rotors or they are warped causing the steering wheel to shudder when you break, then either turn them if they are in spec or get new ones. You always turn the rotors when you do a break job to do it right. I have been known to take a grinder to the rotors if cutting them would be under just to get a little more life out of the rotors with a new set of pads. The dealership is not being straight with you...

suckit
10-27-04, 04:07 AM
:hmm:
Thanks guys! Without this forum, I'd probably get jacked back and fourth. Iono, I recently read something about Cadillac dealerships having one of the best customer service, I think it was a thread on this forum, haha.

T_Dogg8
10-27-04, 09:01 AM
i think for the most part, they do. you just have to be careful where you go.