: Thinking of buying an ESV, doing some homework

bbshriver
08-17-11, 02:07 PM
After buying my 2005 STS V8, I've often wished that I shopped a bit more and got one with a few more "goodies" and also had gone for a 2006, so I thought I'd start looking here for some Escalade info before eventually making a decision.

I know I want an ESV, as the standard length just looks weird to me, and the extra cargo room could be handy for long trips (my parents, and wife's family are each about 8hrs away).

I like the 2007+ better for a few reasons (styling, and 6 speed auto), but may consider the right 2005-2006 at an attractive price.

So, questions
1) what years/trim levels have real wood trim? Is it Platinum only?
2) aside from the "Tehama" leather in platinum is there any difference between leather grades in the lower trims?
3) Do any non-platinum models have leather third row, or are they vinyl?
4) excluding platinum, what year/trim level has the "nicest" interior (most leather, best fit and finish etc)
5) do all have air-conditioned seats?
6) do all have remote start?

What other things should I be asking about? Main "purpose" for this vehicle would be long-range interstate travel with a family and luggage.

fmfa0801
08-17-11, 04:40 PM
I have a 07 ESV I bought a few months ago. I do believe the platinums have "better leather" & LED headlights. I think thats about the biggest difference from the regular. I think the 3rd row are leather. Heard somthing about the like the 2012 models will not have leather 3rd row. My 07 has only A/C seats in the front with heated in front & middle row (buckect seats) I would go with the ESV over the regular because its nice to have all the extra room for long trips and it looks better!

fmfa0801
08-17-11, 04:41 PM
Also it seems like alot of people post to switch seats in the middle row. From bench to bucket seats.

MJCT208
08-17-11, 04:50 PM
hey
1) they all have the fake wood.. except platnium. Platnium is the only escalade with real wood.
2) There is no difference between leather grades iin the lower trims.. other than if you want the ebony or cashmere interior.
3) I know from 2007-2009 years the third row was a leather and either 2010 or 2011 they went with changing the 3rd from leather to vinyl.
4) Premium is the nicest you can get besides platnium, which gets you the 22's nav, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, auto hi beams, fold and tumble 2nd row seats with a push of a button, and other options which I do not remember. Also keep in mind that it depends on what year you choose because options changed and some stuff that is standard now in 2011.. mite have been options back in 07,08,09 and so on.
5) no they all do not have the air conditioned seats, its an option
6) Yes they all have remote start.
7) in my mind navigation is a must, There is also the dvd player that is an option, Of corse the 22's and i personally think the coco on cashmere looks the best and the whitediamond. But these are my opinions. Others please feel free to correct me and add in, I am sure I did not cover everthing..
Good Luck!

bbshriver
08-17-11, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the responses.... sounds like I'm going to be really looking for a platinum, as I really hate fake wood (Really Cadillac in a $70k+ vehicle?).

But I also really hate the Platinum grille, etc, they are more expensive and much harder to find.. some give and take. I would like the Tehama leather as well though.

DVD screens and rear buckets are a must. I'd really like the power running boards also.

SouthernCaddy
08-17-11, 05:51 PM
wood is for your house, the trim in the cadillac holds up and keeps looking good longer than any wood. And it will still be around 20 years from now.

bstiffmanofsteel
08-17-11, 06:03 PM
They do not all have cooled seats. If there are 3 climate buttons the front seats are cooled. Also check for the heated steering wheel.

bbshriver
08-18-11, 08:12 AM
wood is for your house, the trim in the cadillac holds up and keeps looking good longer than any wood. And it will still be around 20 years from now.

If it's not wood it shouldn't look like wood... But you also seem to underestimate the durability of wood. Cars 50+ years old still have original wood that looks great, and if not you can just re-finish it. And the Escalade basically is a house on wheels... The idea of a Cadillac is to bring the comfort of home while you travel, being not only a comfortable conveyance, but generally a pleasant place to spend hours on end.

They do not all have cooled seats. If there are 3 climate buttons the front seats are cooled. Also check for the heated steering wheel.

I forgot about that... Heated steering wheel is not standard? My STS has that and I love it.