: Run-flat Tire Availability?

JFJr
08-17-11, 12:30 PM
I've been very happy with my Bridgestone Pole Position run-flat tires and will get around 30,000 miles out of them. Unfortunately, they're no longer available but I am interested in another set of high performance run-flats in stock sizes and load ratings when they wear out in a few months. I know that a few of you on this forum are interested in runflats, too, and was curious if you have found any. I'm not aware of their availability at the present time.

Jud

tedcmiller
08-17-11, 12:56 PM
Sorry, I have the same desire and experience as you. I had planned to replace the Michelins with run-flat Bridgestones, but waited too long. The same Bridgestone tires are still available, but they are no longer run-flats.

Michelin makes a zero-pressure (one Michelin version of run-flats) that matches the rear tire in size (285/35R19) of the CTS-V. This is the same as the front tire on a Corvette. But, there is no front-tire equivalent (255/40R19 for the CTS-V). Unfortunately, the run-flats available on the 2004-2007 CTS-V are 18 rather than 19 inch tires. So, you can get a run-flat for the rear (same as stock size), but not for the front - that I know of.

Tuna
08-17-11, 03:33 PM
Goodyear makes the "D3" in run-flat in the 285/35/19 size but the closest for the front is 245/40/19. I check tirerack every so often to see if Goodyear has added the 255/40/19 to the line-up - but not yet.

tedcmiller
08-17-11, 06:42 PM
Yeah. I keep checking things also. I keep hoping that Michelin will start making a zero-pressure 255/40R19 but, so far, no cigar.

JFJr
08-17-11, 07:11 PM
Thanks, guys, stay in touch, PM or otherwise. Maybe some of the major tire manufacturers will get off of their dead as*** and pay some attention to the premier super sedan as they have done for the ZR1 and other super high performance sports cars.

Tuna
10-18-11, 11:10 AM
I've had a little email conversation with the good folks at Tire Rack about run-flat tires. The likelyhood of ever getting run-flats in standard V2 sizes seems to be pretty slim. Given that the V2 doesn't come with run-flats, they are not getting much demand for run-flats in V2 sizes.

The Tire Rack guy basically said that most folks replace OEM run-flats with regular tires because of the cost of run-flats and the preceived bad ride, noise, harshness, lack of grip, etc. of the original run-flats. After experiencing all this with first generation run-flats, I can understand.

When the C5 ZO6 came out, even Chevrolet didn't put run-flats on it since Goodyear didn't have a run-flat with the performance Chevy wanted for the car. The C5 ZO6 came with a compressor and a tire sealer can so owners could 'fix-a-flat' and keep going. Okay for nail holes but not worth a darn for cut side walls.

The C6 Vette has run-flats for all versions with Goodyear supplying them for the regular Vettes and Grand Sport Vettes. The ZO6 and ZR1 get Michelin run-flats. Run-flats for the regular Vettes come in high performance and all season versions. GY used to make the F1 GS-D3 in Vette sizes but the demand was too low to keep making them.

Unless another car comes out with run-flats as OEM that happen to have V2 sizes, we're probably going to be out of luck. That too bad because 3rd generation run-flat tires are nothing like the original ones that everyone hated so much.

Not wanting to be stuck on the side of the road waiting for AAA or a tow, I've got the Eurotech Designs spare tire kit in my Vagon and I have a plugging kit and the compressor. I may have to put the spare on some day and I may not. Either way, I will not be on the side of the road long.

JFJr
10-19-11, 02:25 PM
Unless another car comes out with run-flats as OEM that happen to have V2 sizes, we're probably going to be out of luck. That too bad because 3rd generation run-flat tires are nothing like the original ones that everyone hated so much.Terrible news! Surely many more V2's will be made than ZR1's, yet there was a special ZP tire made for the ZR1 by Michelin. Hard to understand that kind of business decision. Out of curiosity, what type of tires will the new M5 get?

Jud

Tuna
10-19-11, 03:42 PM
Terrible news! Surely many more V2's will be made than ZR1's, yet there was a special ZP tire made for the ZR1 by Michelin. Hard to understand that kind of business decision. Jud

GM and Chevrolet specified that the Corvette - base to ZR1 - run on run-flats, so Michelin had to make ZP's for the ZR1.
GM and Cadillac didn't do that for the CTS V. So, no run-flats on a car with no factory spare.
Go figure.

adrian-s
10-19-11, 07:48 PM
Guessing they wanted that track record more than having a functional spare or run flat that would run slower and not break the record back then.

-adrian

Tuna
10-20-11, 09:11 AM
Guessing they wanted that track record more than having a functional spare or run flat that would run slower and not break the record back then.

-adrian

Considering that Michelin makes a ZP "Cup" tires for the ZR1/ZO6 Vettes that has an "80" UTOG rating and sticks like glue, Cadillac could have Michelin make "Cup" tires for the "V" and then take on the "Ring" again.

SoCalCTSV
10-20-11, 09:54 AM
Anyone here responsible for this?

http://www.joelfeder.com/2011/06/06/towing-experience-when-a-cts-v-coupe-has-a-blow-out/

Tuna
10-20-11, 04:14 PM
Anyone here responsible for this?

Just the reason I spent the big bucks for the spare tire kit for my Vagon.

Before we sold our V1, my wife hit a chunk of construction concrete trash on the turnpike and cut the side wall of the left front run-flat. She's cool and keeps driving while calling me on the cell to tell me what's up. I tell her to keep driving to her meeting - she was still 17-20 miles out of town. She drove on. When I made the trip over, the side wall had a 3 inch by 1 inch "T" cut and was history. She made her meeting however. No sitting on the side of the road waiting for a rollback.

jzchen
10-20-11, 07:26 PM
There are runflats available for both sizes, just not matching. I wouldn't mind since they aren't the same size anyways. (I'm afraid I'm far away from changing tires though...)

Thrill6
10-20-11, 08:15 PM
I feel the pain!!! I want to put Michelin PS2 A/S tires on the V since I love them on my Vette. Unfortunately for these tires, Michelin makes only the non-runflat version for the front, and only the run-flat version for the rear!! Talk about stupid!!! You would think that since Michelin is the OEM tire manufactuer, they would make at least a complete set of non-runflat PS2 A/S tires for the V, but I would prefer run-flats all around.

JimmyH
10-21-11, 06:01 PM
So, no run-flats on a car with no factory spare.
Go figure.

That's about 25% of the cars on the market. That number will keep growing.

GM's answer is the inflator kit, and failing that, Onstar.

JFJr
10-22-11, 01:45 PM
This is a safety issue and I guess a lawsuit will be necessary to get GM's attention. Not every flat tire is caused by a puncture easily fixed by an inflator kit, and OnStar or roadside assistance can't help with making a business meeting on time.

Jud

JimmyH
10-22-11, 01:55 PM
If I go on a road trip, I just throw one of the wheels from my other set in the trunk.
As for changing a tire here in Chicagoland, I would prefer to wait on roadside assistance than wait for some distracted cell phone user to nail me on the side of the road.

freds cts-v
10-22-11, 05:52 PM
where do I purchase a Eurotech spare tire kit?

Thank you in advance,

Freds cts-v