: Remote Start on a 6-Speed?

FLTRI
08-17-11, 04:32 AM
I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a V-Wagon. Wife wants the auto, and I want the stick, of course...

She keeps reminding me that we can't get remote start with the 6-speed. Is there a way to instal, or modify, a 6-speed to have remote start? Seems like it would be workable as long as the car "knew" it was in neutral, and the parking brake was set...

Thanks!

harrysstsv
08-17-11, 06:43 AM
Here in Germany on the Export Models the remote start is standard for the maual 6 speed automatic and the 6 speed manual. On auto you must have it in Park, by manual you must have it in neutral.

I think this will be the same on the US models.

Harry

Razorecko
08-17-11, 09:36 AM
Hmm, thats a perfect safety lockout feature thats simple. Our aftermarket alarms require a very complex sequence to activate remote starte. Pain in the ARSE, I'd love a remote start in my stick V

M5eater
08-17-11, 09:52 AM
even American Car company's skimp on features in the N/A market

Nice one.

wait4me
08-17-11, 10:20 AM
I tried it a while ago, even programmed the ecm to ignore the clutch input, but i still couldnt get it to start with the remote i bought. It would control everything else though with the remote, just not the starter. If there is a car out there in a different market that works, Ill hunt down the body control bins, and compare them, and maybe add the missing bits to our files to make them work.. But currently as it sits, it will not work, but you can make the car start without pressing the clutch... A bad thing if you leave it in gear. ;)

Razorecko
08-17-11, 10:36 AM
I tried it a while ago, even programmed the ecm to ignore the clutch input, but i still couldnt get it to start with the remote i bought. It would control everything else though with the remote, just not the starter. If there is a car out there in a different market that works, Ill hunt down the body control bins, and compare them, and maybe add the missing bits to our files to make them work.. But currently as it sits, it will not work, but you can make the car start without pressing the clutch... A bad thing if you leave it in gear. ;)

This is the one my brother got for his manual trans car....

http://www.viper.com/P-5702V/Viper-5901-Responder-Lc3-Supercode-Sst-2-way-Security-And-Remote-Start-System

It works great but you have to do a ridiculous procedure before you exit the car in order to activate the remote start for the next startup. Its like open the door press this button twice make sure you're in neutral yadda yadda yadda. The installer said he could do it so it just works off the bat but legally he cannot with a manual transmission.

e6t
08-17-11, 12:33 PM
ive had remote start on a manual car once... the installer used magnetic relays on the shifter somehow so that if the car was in any gear other than neutral it wouldnt start. one day, i hit the manual start button knowing that if i hadnt left it in neutral it wouldnt start... to my shock and awe, the car started bucking and lurching across the lot it was in. it kept going through a fence and into the back of my neighbors house.

probably a MUCH better fail safe way to do it than that...

cdog533
08-17-11, 02:44 PM
Here in Germany on the Export Models the remote start is standard for the maual 6 speed automatic and the 6 speed manual. On auto you must have it in Park, by manual you must have it in neutral.

So there is a neutral safety switch already in existence... and the German cars do it. So, is it different programming in Germany or different hardware?

Harry: Any chance you could buy some non-stickered sunvisors from your dealer and sell them to forum members?

JimmyH
08-17-11, 04:46 PM
locking the doors with the engine running (with the engine shutting down thereafter of course) is pretty foolproof failsafe. The system knows for sure that way, that the car is indeed in neutral.

gtpprix managed to get the remote start fobs for the camaro working with the manual transmission cars. He said something that it didn't enable remote start, but he got the car to recognize the fob and the remote start command. that's half the battle.

JFJr
08-17-11, 05:16 PM
ive had remote start on a manual car once... the installer used magnetic relays on the shifter somehow so that if the car was in any gear other than neutral it wouldnt start. one day, i hit the manual start button knowing that if i hadnt left it in neutral it wouldnt start... to my shock and awe, the car started bucking and lurching across the lot it was in. it kept going through a fence and into the back of my neighbors house.Ha haa! Wasn't there an episode like that on Home Improvement many years ago where Tim Allen was tinkering with one of his vehicles? I know he managed to run a "massaged" riding lawnmower through his hedge and on to the highway during a race with Bob Vila. :lildevil:

Jud

GTPprix
08-18-11, 03:30 PM
I've done it for a couple people locally but I wouldn't recommend it way to much liability involved.