: Have a question regarding the HDD (Hard Drive) for the Audio system if anyone uses.

MrMaschine
08-17-11, 12:57 AM
I really am liking this feature but some of my CD's will not list info for Album or tracks, it will show as No Info or Multi Hit. I want to know if there is anyway I can edit and add that info on my own so it can be stored in the database otherwise i wont know where the music eventually goes if i have 15 multi hits saved on file.

anyone?

voltrons_head
08-17-11, 09:18 AM
^I don't think you can. I don't htink any cd's that are burned as music files will display any info. CD's burned as data will give you the data that is stored in the file itself. So if you're using mp3 files burned to disc and there is no track data, you need to go back to your computer and update the track data to the file itself and reburn it to disc.

stabie
08-17-11, 09:27 AM
The system uses something called gracenotes, which oddly enough uses song lengths and count to identify the album. You can get updated gracenotes databases from them if it is a new album which is not coming up. I suppose if you really got creative, you could get the gracenotes database, and update it yourself. It may be public. Gracenotes started out as open source community effort. It went commercial a few years back, but I bet they did not change the format.

gnxs
08-17-11, 09:30 AM
When I add .mp3's to my Hard Drive I always make sure they are "tagged" with the information (Artist, Title, etc.). If they aren't, I believe I use Windows Media Player to open the files and tag them. I'm not at home or I could tell you definitively, but I believe it's Media Player.

jdodman
08-17-11, 09:31 AM
I have a different issue. I recorded CDs, that went through the entire recording process (one was a 2 CD set of a WHO concert from 2006), acknowledged the recording is done, and then
cannot be found on the HDD. It ripped to Itunes no problem....

MrMaschine
08-17-11, 10:52 AM
I havent tried using CD i burned but actual real store bought CD. I know when a CD is duplicated in mass volume they are supposed to code the disc with this data for tracking purposes regarding publishing credits, copywrite etc.

Its only on a handful of CD the Gracenote will not pull anything up. So for the time being anything that wont be recognized I am not saving because i wont know how to retrieve.

I did record 2 CD sets and it shows up under One Artist and One Album except the song lits # just accumulate higher rather than being Disc #2 Track 1 it would now show as Disc #2 Track 19 etc.

I think this feature is great because I park in NYC garages frequently and have had my CD books stolen.

stabie
08-17-11, 10:54 AM
My guess is the program that burned the new CD altered the song times by a bit. gracenotes (cddb) computes a 32 bit id based on the length of each song. If the burned version has a different length, the ID will not match the database entry for the who. And it looks like gracenotes changed the original data format of the cddb so that it was no longer open.

Phil Raymond
08-17-11, 11:53 AM
When I add .mp3's to my Hard Drive I always make sure they are "tagged" with the information (Artist, Title, etc.). If they aren't, I believe I use Windows Media Player to open the files and tag them. I'm not at home or I could tell you definitively, but I believe it's Media Player.

This is the way to do it. You need to do it while the song is on your computer. The disks that are not being recognized - are they store bought disks? Use media player, or another player of your choice, to add in the artist, etc. to the songs. Hopefully the media player can search for the songs on the internet, but if they are bootleg live songs or such, you will have to add in the information yourself. There are also apps out there that format song metadata.

But all of that is work...

I don't use cd's (so 90's ish...lol). Since we have 8-9 GB of storage on our HDDs in the 'v', I loaded up an 8GB USB drive and copied it over to the cars HDD. Very nice having my favorite 8 GB of music at my fingers!

tedcmiller
08-17-11, 01:08 PM
I have copied original CDs bought at the store to the hardfile on my CTS-V with no problem. While the playback shows only a track number for the song (no other info), the artist and album title are properly displayed. This allows me to select the CD I want to hear from the selection menu with no problem.

jdodman
08-17-11, 01:16 PM
"I don't use cd's (so 90's ish...lol). Since we have 8-9 GB of storage on our HDDs in the 'v', I loaded up an 8GB USB drive and copied it over to the cars HDD. Very nice having my favorite 8 GB of music at my fingers! "

How did you do this, using a USB drive ???

stabie
08-17-11, 01:20 PM
I do get a "kick" out of the youngun's who never used CD's. A standard red-book CD has no info on it about the album name, artist etc. It is really just raw 16 bit stereo data with an index into where each file starts. So, the crafty people that started the original cddb database thought, hey, I'll bet most albums can be uniquely identified by the exact length of each song and the number of songs. And so CDDB was created. So as long as the burned CD is exactly the same song length/number of songs, gracenotes should recognize it. When your doing mp3's on the other hand from a usb stick, the file format for a mp3 defines these optional fields which the info system picks up and displays. It is so easy to forget the CD came about in about 1980, where 650M of data was huge, and processing power was minimal. Really it was amazing they could do what they did in 1980. Just making a DAC that could go at 44KHz with 16 bits was a feat and really, back then they were not really 16 bit accurate. The anti-aliasing filters were not very good either. I know, I have a $900 sony CDP-101 that still works from 1982. Sounds bad.

Oh and I think Multi-hit may be the case of two albums with exactly the same #songs/song length. Not enough info to resolve which album it was.

Phil Raymond
08-17-11, 01:43 PM
^ Stable - well said! It is better to have all of your music on the computer. Let media player assign track info. Nearly all of my 8GB of music on my car's HDD lists the artist and track title. Of course most of my music is mp3 with track info (aka downloaded).

How did you do this, using a USB drive ???

There is a usb port in the center console, right next to the 3.5 mm jack where you can plug in an mp3 player. One note - before you spend the time to pick thru your songs on the computer and copy them to the HDD in the car, test out the USB stick in the car to make sure the car can read it. I haven't looked into it, but I think the car wants standard usb formatting of the data, and some usb sticks are formatted for FATS or whatever and the car won't recognize it because the usb stick is acting like it's own drive (vs. memory). Again, I haven't researched it but I found this issue with a Cruzer usb stick.

Anyway, plug in the usb stick, hit the "REC" button on the center dash, and it will ask you if you want to record all songs to HDD. Say 'yes' and watch it load...very nice

MotownPimp
08-17-11, 02:09 PM
I use a USB device to move songs from my computer to the Caddy HDD....over 600 songs so far. I can't think of an instance where the song title & artist do not show up.

CDs are another story. Two circumstances where i get "no info"
1) Any CD I've burned from computer.
2) A few store bought CDs from years back. Most CDs provide the info but a few have not; usually very old music. For example, a Chordettes (they are from the 50s) CD does not have the data.

Patrick Smith
08-18-11, 09:57 PM
Cruzer sticks will work if you format them first. It took me awhile to figure that out. They come preloaded with some goofy application that even with music in its own separate folder the car will not read with that cruzer app on there.

tedcmiller
08-29-11, 09:01 PM
Actually I lied on my first (and only post to this thread, #9). I said that store-bought CDs when loaded to the HDD don't display the song title -only the artist and album name. I put a Bad Company album on the HDD today and all the info was displayed - album, artist, and song title. I checked back and this was true for all real CDs. MP3s burned from a computer might not have all of the info. It depends on how good a job you did when copying from the computer (See post #2).

LitiGATOR
08-29-11, 09:04 PM
Is there a way to delete everything on the HD at once, as opposed to individually deleting songs? When I transferred music from a USB thumb-drive to the HDD, it won't separate the songs by Artist/Album/Genre, etc.

baabootoo
08-30-11, 12:47 AM
Yes, not exactly sure though, since I'd have to read the manual. This is how we do it when getting rid of the car. You can also go to the "Artist" list, and delete each one by artist also.

baabootoo
08-30-11, 12:48 AM
I really am liking this feature but some of my CD's will not list info for Album or tracks, it will show as No Info or Multi Hit. I want to know if there is anyway I can edit and add that info on my own so it can be stored in the database otherwise i wont know where the music eventually goes if i have 15 multi hits saved on file.

anyone?

Did you try deleting and reloading?

LitiGATOR
08-30-11, 12:51 AM
Yes, not exactly sure though, since I'd have to read the manual. This is how we do it when getting rid of the car. You can also go to the "Artist" list, and delete each one by artist also.

The problem with my particular situation is that the songs aren't going into specific categories, they're all individual. It wasn't supposed to be like this, but if I press "Artist," or "Album," nothing happens.