: Anyone Wear a Seiko "Kinetic" Watch-Question 4 U

Ralph
10-22-04, 11:05 PM
I had a chance to buy this titanium Kinetic Seiko at a garage sale for any offer, I declined. :hmm:

http://www.seikocan.com/seiko/en/product.asp?id=110

It was brand new with the tag still on it showing the $595.00 price tag. I'm now regretting declining. I'm not sure if I would have warrenty not being the original purchaser.

My question is how does the "Power Reserve Indicator" work and are they good watches? (the website tells nothing on this) Does anyone know someone who has one?

RBraczyk
10-22-04, 11:47 PM
Don't buy unless you buy from a seiko dealer. they are often replicated. My dad has a seiko and two Tag Heuers.

Ralph
10-23-04, 02:01 AM
Don't buy unless you buy from a seiko dealer. they are often replicated. My dad has a seiko and two Tag Heuers.

Is your Dad's a kinetic. Tags are expensive and good quality Swiss. I'm pretty sure it was the real deal and he had other kinds for sale also and never got around to wearing this one. (older guy) I know they fake Rolexes, Omegas, Movados, even Tags but I didn't think they faked a Japanese Seiko?

I'm sure one person at least on the Forum wears a Kinetic and can describe the "power reserve" feature to me, etc. :) If they like it or not. It might still be there and I'm not sure what I should offer. :confused:

majax
10-23-04, 03:02 AM
I just wear a normal Seiko, it cost me $225. I am pretty sure that $526 is a little steep for a kenetic, maybe.

Ralph
10-23-04, 03:09 AM
I just wear a normal Seiko, it cost me $225. I am pretty sure that $526 is a little steep for a kenetic, maybe.

$595 in Canuck bucks. Ever had problems with yours?

There is also the more expensive "Kinetic Auto Relay" where you can leave it in a drawer for 4 years and it shuts down to automatically conserve power and when you pick it up it immediately goes to the correct time and date!! However the regular Kinetic has a 6 month power reserve, not years. I wouldn't need that anyway.

majax
10-23-04, 03:18 AM
there is only one problem that I had with it due to craftsmanship and even then it may have been my fault. One of the pins in the wrist band, where it conects the wrist to the head got warped and messed up and the linkage was loose. My other damage was due to the fact that I accedentaly droped it on a concrete floor :rolleyes2 . Well even though it was my fault Seiko asked no questions and fixed the watch for free. It still ran after it fell all that happend was the 12o'clock thingie broke.

Great watch get a Seiko. Though due to the fact that Pulsars are cheaper there is less to them and they may be a little less troublesum, not that mine is.

Ralph
10-23-04, 03:25 AM
Nice, kinda looks like a Rolex with the "fluted" bezel. I assume it is older if the pin wore through the link, etc. Or maybe you wear it too tight on your wrist and the pin warped?

majax
10-23-04, 03:29 AM
I bought it brand new about a year and half ago. It aint on to tight I think it was cause I tried to clip it shut on on the pillow or something.

I am a dumb$#@ sometimes.

my favorite feature is the day and date.

Swangin-&-Bangin
10-23-04, 08:19 AM
I have many watches and one of them is a Seiko Kinetic Sports 100. I have had this watch for about 8 years and it still works fine.. The Power Reserve Indicator indicates how much kinetic energy is stored in the capacitor/battery in the watch... To use it you wait until the second hand hit 12. You should have a button on the left side of the watch, above the thing that you set the time with... So as soon as the second hand hits 12 press the button.... The second hand will then begin to move and stop some where on top of the indicator bar... If the second hand sweep all the way to 6, that means that the capacitor/battery is full... After this is done the second hand will stay stationary until the time is actually correct for it to move again.. Got that?
http://www.less4best.com/danoush/WATCHES/300/sg28/sg28-1.jpg

airbalancer
10-23-04, 08:34 AM
Why do need a watch today?
I always use my cell to tell the time.
The only place were I would use a watch is if I am working in a prison qand want to get out in time. Do not want the guards mad at you in there.

airbalancer
10-23-04, 08:37 AM
Why do they call a time piece a watch? :hmm:
Is because you watching the watch

RealmCenter
10-23-04, 09:54 AM
I like my Fossil Arkitekt, I think it was less than $120. Nice classic clean look

D148L0
10-23-04, 04:07 PM
My question is how does the "Power Reserve Indicator" work and are they good watches? (the website tells nothing on this) Does anyone know someone who has one?
A) Yes, the power indicator works.
B) GOOD? yes, they are reliable and have nice designs. Good is a precise word to describe them.
C) I had one, lost it. My father has one. He bought both of them (mine and his) when the "kinetic" concept was new, his is still working as new.

By the way, I remember that you like watchesa lot... if you are interested, I could post pictures of my small collection... if you don't mind drooling a little bit, Ralphie, of course... ;)

Ralph
10-23-04, 04:21 PM
A) Yes, the power indicator works.
B) GOOD? yes, they are reliable and have nice designs. Good is a precise word to describe them.
C) I had one, lost it. My father has one. He bought both of them (mine and his) when the "kinetic" concept was new, his is still working as new.

By the way, I remember that you like watchesa lot... if you are interested, I could post pictures of my small collection... if you don't mind drooling a little bit, Ralphie, of course... ;)

Sure, post some pics! Toys for boys and all that.. ;) It's interesting how these Kinetics work. Never need a battery, or wind it, just wear it and gravity spins the rotor (Like a mechanical automatic) and instead of the rotor winding a main spring, it charges a little generator which stores energy in the lifetime lithium ion battery! Simply amazing!

Ralph
10-23-04, 04:26 PM
I have many watches and one of them is a Seiko Kinetic Sports 100. I have had this watch for about 8 years and it still works fine.. The Power Reserve Indicator indicates how much kinetic energy is stored in the capacitor/battery in the watch... To use it you wait until the second hand hit 12. You should have a button on the left side of the watch, above the thing that you set the time with... So as soon as the second hand hits 12 press the button.... The second hand will then begin to move and stop some where on top of the indicator bar... If the second hand sweep all the way to 6, that means that the capacitor/battery is full... After this is done the second hand will stay stationary until the time is actually correct for it to move again.. Got that?
http://www.less4best.com/danoush/WATCHES/300/sg28/sg28-1.jpg

That's the specific info that I was after, THANKS! I knew while looking at it that the little button above the crown was to see the reserve, but I didn't know the second hand had to be a 12 o' clock position, etc. I thought it was broken because nothing happened! The owner himself should have been able to tell me about this but it seems many people don't bother reading the instructions for things these days. Even the lady at the Seiko dealer didn't know about it! :disappoin

You have a beauty and I like how the reserve is indicated like a fuel gauge to see how full the charge is. :)

Ralph
10-23-04, 04:30 PM
I like my Fossil Arkitekt, I think it was less than $120. Nice classic clean look

Isn't that a Canadian company? You just took a job away from a hard working American LOL! :shhh:

D148L0
10-23-04, 04:32 PM
Gravity and your wrist movements. There was other watch that was as curious as this when it came out. Have you ever heard of the Mido "bodyguard" ?? I saw it like 10 years ago. It had a button that activated a LOUD alarm. You couldn't believe that so many noise could come out of that thing... I would like to get my hands on one of those, just as a curiosity for my collection.
Yes, it is neat. And it was more impressive when the whole thing was new...
Well, there is one more thing I have to do (bwahahahaha!!) and then I'll go home to take some pics...

Ralph
10-23-04, 04:32 PM
Why do they call a time piece a watch? :hmm:
Is because you watching the watch

LOL, I never really thought too much about that.

Ralph
10-23-04, 04:36 PM
that was as curious as this when it came out. Have you ever heard of the Mido "bodyguard"

Never heard of it. I guess the idea was like a "panic button" on your key fob if you are being mugged, etc. Problem is that if you are mugged, don't they usually steal your watch first? :histeric:

D148L0
10-23-04, 04:44 PM
Here, I found a picture... more than 100dB!!
Is it beautiful or what??

majax
10-23-04, 04:53 PM
That is a purdy one!!

Ralph
10-23-04, 04:55 PM
Here, I found a picture... more than 100dB!!
Is it beautiful or what??

Very classy, but it doesn't look like anything special. I thought there would be some big ugly speaker on the side or something. :hmm: Where does the sound come out?

D148L0
10-23-04, 05:19 PM
Very classy, but it doesn't look like anything special. I thought there would be some big ugly speaker on the side or something. :hmm: Where does the sound come out?
If I remember correctly, from the bottom. There were some mini slots on it.
And that is the beauty of it. You don't need a big ugly watch to do something special.

D148L0
10-23-04, 07:33 PM
OK, here are some of them:

Ralph
10-23-04, 09:07 PM
OK, that's it! I give up LOL! I wanna wear a white lab coat so I can buy some of those. :p

Are they all mechanical? I have my doubts about the Longinnes?

Is that a Rolex Daytona??!! If so, they are hard to come by and they are produced in limited numbers, therefore hold value and in some cases appreciate!

Nice Omega. Quartz?

Patek Phillipe are one of the most sought after and prestigious timepieces ever made.

The Breitlings are good watches and as of 2000, they only make chronometers. In fact my cousin is a pilot for a major Canadian airline and they give them a free Breitling chronograph.

Here is an interesting Breitling and you never have to worry about being lost at sea with it. It would also take the fun out of being stranded on a desert island with the Sweedish bikini suntanning team: (built in transmitter/homing device-although big and ugly)

http://www.breitling.com/enmodels/professional/emergency

All I have is a mid range Tissot Seamaster for daily wear and a couple others.

Ralph
10-23-04, 09:15 PM
My Breitling link didn't go to the right page, but you can click the model "Emergency." It reminds me of that Mido you posted. I'm sure you know about it though.

Also I phoned that guy with the Kinetic and he sold it but wouldn't tell me for how much! $$$$$ I MIGHT have offered him a couple hundred but then how do I know he didn't drop it on a hard surface, etc. Also he said it was "brand new" but then said "no warrenty left." :hmm:

Be sure to keep your mechanicals wound and don't let them sit idle too long because the oils on the geartrain need to be constantly distributed otherwise the oils dry up, get airborn in the case, and cause abrasives that precipitate wear, then repairs are more costly.

I'm going to post an excellent link in a minute for you where you can read people's reviews of all kinds of Swiss watches concerning accuracy, comfort, quality, etc.

D148L0
10-23-04, 09:29 PM
I knew you'd like them... :)
Yes, it's a daytona. The omega is a quartz steel/yellow gold constellation.
To answer the other questions I'd have to do some research, since all the documentation is back home.
My father gave me all those (research salaries suck). I'll have to wait until I have my license to practice medicine here... :sneaky:
There is one more I wanted to show you, but I left it at my GF's...

Ralph
10-23-04, 09:31 PM
Here is the best watch link you'll ever find:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=33&rid=0

D148L0
10-23-04, 09:35 PM
It was a damaged link, but I went to the home page... just added to my favorites! Thanks for the link...

Ralph
10-23-04, 09:53 PM
It was a damaged link, but I went to the home page... just added to my favorites! Thanks for the link...

I fixed the above link and it loaded on mine. In case anyone is wondering about what I mean by "automatic" or "mechanical" here is a good basic site"

http:www.watchmakereducation.com/watches101_funamentals.htm

Your Dad has class. He obviously drives a Cadillac. Of course ONE mechanical will last generations, but that's no fun. ;)