: New Tires Help with larger size possibilities

JackG
08-17-11, 01:14 AM
Well..its that time. To lay down some serious cash for tires. Not something I want to do.. but I beleive in quality tires.
I got my 2005 v6 STS with these tires and I wore them out.

R sumitomo HTR+ 255 45ZR17 98W M+S

F sumitomo HTR+ 235 50ZR17 100W M+S

I was thinking Michilin all season tires.. same size or possible fatter? Any advice would be appreciated.
Have a great day!

JackG
08-18-11, 11:49 PM
Are Goodyear any good these days?

EChas3
08-19-11, 12:15 AM
Michelin's compound is hard for longer tread life. Their Sport A/S may be different but the MXM A/S & Energy A/S STS OEM tires were rock-hard petrified crap.

deucedude2003
08-19-11, 04:55 AM
I'm soon to purchase Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) was never much on Goodyear and I didn't even know Michelin made tires out of anything other than petrified wood?
That is why you should listen to EChas3, when he talks, folks should listen...:worship:
P.S. wider tires in snow stink...

Well..its that time. To lay down some serious cash for tires. Not something I want to do.. but I beleive in quality tires.
I got my 2005 v6 STS with these tires and I wore them out.

R sumitomo HTR+ 255 45ZR17 98W M+S

F sumitomo HTR+ 235 50ZR17 100W M+S

I was thinking Michilin all season tires.. same size or possible fatter? Any advice would be appreciated.
Have a great day!

1crock
08-19-11, 10:06 AM
You will probably not like the Michelins.

I put Hankook Ventus V4 ES on mine and am very pleased with them. They do well in the rain and snow. Ride quality, noise level and handling are very good as well.

BaTu
08-19-11, 10:47 AM
I LOVE my Michelins! The Sport A/S is Totally different tire from the OEM.

Tire Rack , while not having the best prices, does have the best resource for tire comparison. Research them there and see the difference in snow, wet, dry, noise, ride, & mileage.....

1crock
08-19-11, 11:10 AM
Mine were the Sport A/S. Sill didn't like them. Way too rough riding, noisy and not pretty in the snow. Of course, it's all about personal preference, otherwise there would only be one tire available.:yup:

You ask about Goodyear tires. My Hankook tires came from a Goodyear dealer. The salesman said he probably shouldn't mention it, but they had far fewer complaints and way less problems with the Hankook than the Goodyear tires and that he had Hankook on all his vehicles.

BaTu
08-19-11, 04:29 PM
Mine were the Sport A/S. Sill didn't like them. Way too rough riding, noisy and not pretty in the snow. Of course, it's all about personal preference, otherwise there would only be one tire available.

Wow, your experience is Totally unlike mine......

They rate Superior & Excellent on All those points with over 5 million miles worth of rated experience by others too -> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus and click the "Surveys" Tab.

EChas3
08-19-11, 10:53 PM
I agree that Tire Rack is a good resource. While the Michelin Sport A/S is very highly rated, it is also priced that way. I expect BaTu checked it out thoroughly before buying. But not everyone's needs are the same.

For snowy climates in Winter, almost any tire designed expressly for Winter will out-perform most all-season tires and certainly will do better than all Summer tires. No one tire can be the best at everything. What aspect(s) are the most important to you?

Deucedude2003 - Thank you for the kind words.

jedhead
08-20-11, 02:00 AM
I had Continental DWS Extremes on my STS-V. They are some of the best handling all season tires I have driven on. I did manage to wear out the rears at 12.5k miles but America's Tires prorated replacement tires under warranty at 75% off because the tires were covered under warranty. They first hemmed a bit because the tires weren't rotated, but since the stock sizes are staggered the warranty covered the replacement tires.

Bob

JackG
08-20-11, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I am interested in all weather and quite comfort ride with great cornering/traction and average wear.

z06bigbird
08-21-11, 02:49 AM
Take a look at the 'survey results' on Tire Rack, specifically the Michelin Sport PlUS all season. I put them on a BMW and a Trans Am in the past 2 years, and they are top of the line.