: Ready to sell the Eldo

vincentm
08-17-11, 12:53 AM
Sick of the issues, its no longer economically wise to keep this f'n car. I no longer have the patience for it.

1. My air cleaner assembly is cracked- $65 from a junkyard

2. My shocks are shot the car bounces alot - $1000 -$1200

3. Now my alternator died today I was barely able to cruise it into my apartment complex after work today it only charges the battery up to 11.3 volts with no radio, etc running.

4. And I still have a cracked block

Side rant: Jake has yet to f'n contact me for a quote, a quote folks, that's all I've been waiting for since the 25th of june, a simple f'n quote on a replacement engine. If you can't provide a price quote for a customer via email then why are you on business, since 6/25 he's made numerous posts on CF but can't fire off an email to me regarding a quote. Especially after him trying moderate the fiasco I had on my HG thread...

Ima get the alternator replaced and sell this POS.

Edit: My AC clutch still doesnt engage, this car sucks to drive in 90+ degree weather

OffThaHorseCEO
08-17-11, 01:43 AM
hey man that sucks. sorry to hear that

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 01:48 AM
sorry to hear your having so much trouble maybe youll change your mind before you sell but if not
what you planing on moveing to next ?

vincentm
08-17-11, 02:01 AM
Also forgot to mention my tie rods and/or bushings for my front pass wheel need replacing..

ben.gators
08-17-11, 02:02 AM
Front wheel drive+300hp engine=too much stress on the front end=fail!
I have almost changed all front end parts too....

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 02:19 AM
only front end part i still need to replace is the Front Passanger CV half Shaft boot is leaking but no noise no poping but its also been filled and greesed ones just for the hell of it because i was not spening anymore money at th epoint when i found oout it was bad but ill get to it in the next month probalby

but yeah FWD so uch power not good but we love them anyways lol

Stingroo
08-17-11, 08:44 AM
Come to the RWD side....

orconn
08-17-11, 04:17 PM
What would it cost to fix your Eldo's problems? Would it cost more than repalcing it with a more reliable car?

From the pictures of your Eldo it seems to be in very nice shape, I hope you find a solution that allows you to keep it and have reliable transportation.

brandondeleo
08-17-11, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear about all of this dude. I know how you feel... :helpless:

vincentm
08-17-11, 04:32 PM
What would it cost to fix your Eldo's problems? Would it cost more than repalcing it with a more reliable car?

From the pictures of your Eldo it seems to be in very nice shape, I hope you find a solution that allows you to keep it and have reliable transportation.

It's in beautiful shape the interior is mint and i planned on having the dings (4 quarter sized ones) removed on the 26th. My total repair, shocks, ac clutch, alternator, etc would run about 6-8 thousand bucks.

brandondeleo
08-17-11, 04:36 PM
6-8 thousand bucks.From the pictures and drive video on the HG thread, I noticed how perfect your interior was. It's a true shame.... but holy shit. That amount is totally not worth it. You can buy an Eldo of that generation with 50k miles in perfect shape for that...

hueterm
08-17-11, 04:48 PM
...or not...and make your life so much easier...

Playdrv4me
08-17-11, 05:17 PM
Dump it.

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 06:34 PM
give it to cherity tax deductable

orconn
08-17-11, 06:52 PM
Is the Eldorado paid for, or do you still owe money on it? Six to eight thousand seems like a lot of money, but you end up with a car whose condition you know about. If you like the way the car looks and drives and can afford to get all the repairs done, you might end up with a more pleasurable piece of transportation than could be bought for $6000 to $8000. However, if cash flow warrants caution, just ditch the Eldo and go lease a new car and only have lease payments for a few years and let the new car warranty take care of unexpected expenses.

vincentm
08-17-11, 06:53 PM
Is the Eldorado paid for, or do you still owe money on it? Six to eight thousand seems like a lot of money, but you end up with a car whose condition you know about. If you like the way the car looks and drives and can afford to get all the repairs done, you might end up with a more pleasurable piece of transportation than could be bought for $6000 to $8000. However, if cash flow warrants caution, just ditch the Eldo and go lease a new car and only have lease payments for a few years and let the new car warranty take care of unexpected expenses.

Still paying on it...

hueterm
08-17-11, 06:55 PM
If you're still paying on it, you'll never get anything out of it... How many miles does it have? The biggest risk is if it gets totaled...

vincentm
08-17-11, 06:57 PM
If you're still paying on it, you'll never get anything out of it... How many miles does it have? The biggest risk is if it gets totaled...

3000 on a new rebuild/133k on overall car

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 07:06 PM
vincent do you ow 3000 on the car or is that what you spent to have the engine work doen the first time or are you saying you owe 3000 im confused with your above statment in post #18

if you owe 3000 on it then chances our you will have to put money out of your own poket after selling it just to get the title transfered to the new owner since finance companys wont sighn a title over untill its paid off
is that what your saying if that is the case i know i would choose to fix it unless you have 3k sitting around to pay it off then just sell it and try to recoup eosmething not sure its going to bring more then 2k with a cracked engine block
but who knows

but what is it that you do owe ?
maybe less then 3k so manybe it might jsut be best for you to sell it and hope you sell it for what you owe and get out of it

vincentm
08-17-11, 07:07 PM
vincent do you ow 3000 on the car or is that what you spent to have the engine work doen the first time or are you saying you owe 3000 im confused with your above statment in post #18

if you owe 3000 on it then chances our you will have to put money out of your own poket after selling it just to get the title transfered to the new owner since finance companys wont sighn a title over untill its paid off
is that what your saying if that is the case i know i would choose to fix it unless you have 3k sitting around to pay it off then just sell it and try to recoup eosmething not sure its going to bring more then 2k with a cracked engine block
but who knows

but what is it that you do owe ?
maybe less then 3k so manybe it might jsut be best for you to sell it and hope you sell it for what you owe and get out of it

the engine has 3000 miles on the new rebuild/133k on the car overall..

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 07:12 PM
ah ok i saw your still paying on the car if you don't mind i know anothe rmentioned this here also but how much do you owe on the car
if its alot it might just be the only option you have is to fix it
other wise you just have a car sitting aorund that your making payments on
if you owe more then its worth then maybe fix it then sell it and try to atleast break even
if you owe a little more then its worth not sure how you are money wise sell it for what you can get for it but then before the new owner can take title you will still have to come out of piocket to pay the loan off on the car
so it really comes down to what you can aford to do with it i guess

hueterm
08-17-11, 08:30 PM
the engine has 3000 miles on the new rebuild/133k on the car overall..

It has 3000 miles and a cracked block?

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 08:37 PM
It has 3000 miles and a cracked block?

the engine he had was rebuilt and either the crack happend from when the HG was doen or it was mised during the job i think thats what was said but maybe there was another reason

i had 14k on my 2000 seville after the Hg's where doen and then i noticed a cracked block when it was leaking on the ground enough to notice

vincentm
08-18-11, 12:20 AM
Just picked my battery from o reilly aut parts, it was tested and passed amd fully charged popped it in tightened the connections down firmly, and low and behold, engine doesn't turn over over, battery read 13.8 volts. So now my starter might be bad, a ****in bear of a job

Aron9000
08-18-11, 01:36 AM
You got a rebuilt motor with 3k miles on it and its already konked out?? I know some heads would be rolling at the shop where I got the work done at. Did they offer any sort of warranty???

I know its kind of shady and will **** your credit up, but you can just quit making payments on it. Let them repossess it and now its the bank's problem lol.

vincentm
08-18-11, 01:57 AM
Arrrrghhh I'm so f'n pissed!!! I dont know wtf to do

Jesda
08-18-11, 03:27 AM
afaik Jake is always swamped. There's lots of qualified shops and solutions all over the country

vincentm
08-18-11, 10:07 AM
afaik Jake is always swamped. There's lots of qualified shops and solutions all over the country

Meaning..?

STSS
08-18-11, 11:11 AM
If you had to take out a loan to buy a 97 Eldo with known blown HGs, sell it now. The car has 133K on it - even with a new motor, it will never become cheaper to own.....

OffThaHorseCEO
08-18-11, 11:37 AM
hate to say it,but if its 6-8k get rid of it.

Thats IF youre sure the block is cracked

everything else is expected on a 14 year old car. we freshened up the suspension on the saturn (96) last year, made a hell of a difference and was really money well spent. the alternator went out on the eldo when i had it, i was pissed because it was my only car at the time but it was a 96 so it was about time.

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 03:26 PM
You got a rebuilt motor with 3k miles on it and its already konked out?? I know some heads would be rolling at the shop where I got the work done at. Did they offer any sort of warranty???

I know its kind of shady and will **** your credit up, but you can just quit making payments on it. Let them repossess it and now its the bank's problem lol.

nope because what ever the bank or finace company sells it for if it is not the amount that he owes and they sell it for less then whats owed he will still owe the rest and be responsible for it

vincentm
08-18-11, 11:29 PM
Got her up and running,not the alternator, not the starter turns out the thread on the battery for the positive battery bolt is stripped. Can this be re-threaded or should I just junk it? I'd hate to do the latter since it's only 6 mos old. Its a Duralast Gold btw, been thinking of slapping in an Optima

Stingroo
08-19-11, 12:11 AM
Just get it exchanged. If it's only 6 months old, you're good to go.

Also, IMO, get a Die Hard Platinum. Optimas are overrated.

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 04:36 AM
I have an Optima 4 terminal yellow top battery powering my DeVille with a 1300 watt stereo system. I can leave the car in ACC with the stereo running for 4 hours (I've done it at the beach... Lol.) and start it up just like normal. Optima FTW!

vincentm
08-19-11, 12:36 PM
Autozone gave me a replacement for free, running at a strong 13.9driving/13.6 idle but seriously, wtf was GM thinking when it came to the battery terminals and location of this battery? At least give me some wrench room for an 8mm

Stingroo
08-19-11, 12:40 PM
Nope, you use a side terminal tool (or a gearwrench). That's the easiest way. lol

OffThaHorseCEO
08-19-11, 01:15 PM
glad to see it wasnt as bad as you thought

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 12:15 AM
I agree, if you had the engine rebuilt and the block cracked recently, then it should be covered... waranty?

Optimas aren't what they used to be. Johnson bought them out and moved em to Mexico. If you actually require a premium AGM battery, then Diehard Platinum (made by Oddessy) is the way to go. Otherwise, get a top level lead-acid from a place common place nationwide with a long free replacement waranty - like Walmart.

Rodya234
08-21-11, 12:26 AM
The Sam's club by my house now cells only Duracell AGM batteries, with a nice long 36 month warranty, or Optimas. I borrowed my dad's car the other day (which has a Duracell), and was able to sit and listen to music for a few hours, along with the ride compressor constantly running, and it would start back up no problem.

I don't get the price premium on Optimas, when other AGM batteries are just as good.

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 12:48 AM
My Jeep has an Everstart MAXX from Walmart, the 528e has a Duralast Gold that was "sorta new" in my e30 3yrs ago, then sat unused for almost a year and now holds an excellent charge. Both of these vehicles I routinely run in accessory mode to play music loud while working on the vehicles in the driveway. They go for hours without issue then start the engine just fine - even the Jeep which is also also running a dedicated sub amp.

Needless to say, one doesn't need a high dollar AGM battery to play music in accessory mode for a few hours.

Jesda
08-21-11, 12:57 AM
I like Everstart a lot and have bought them pretty much exclusively for the last eight years.

I just got a Duralast Gold for the Seville, $153 from Sears. That's the most I've ever spent on a battery. The one for this car is large, sealed, and vented.

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 01:07 AM
I like Everstart a lot and have bought them pretty much exclusively for the last eight years.

I just got a Duralast Gold for the Seville, $153 from Sears. That's the most I've ever spent on a battery. The one for this car is large, sealed, and vented.

Sounds similar to the one now in the e28, that came in my first e30. Being "sealed" just means you can't service it, vented means it's not sealed but also lead-acid. I've actually been quite impressed with this battery as it sat unused in the shed for about a year, and has been in the e28 now for a year and holds an excellent charge.

When I worked at Advance Auto I learned a bit about the batteries. Their Autocraft, Autozone's Duralast and Walmart's Everstart are all made by Johnson, who now owns Optima. In terms of quality, the cheap ones with 1-yr free replacement are junk, the middle range 2-yr free replacement are "ok" but if going with one of the 3, I'd get the top level 3-yr free replacement battery. They are better built, more power and last longer.

When it was time for a new battery on the Jeep, I wanted the "best" as I run a good bit of electrical accessories and plan to add more. Was going to get a Diehard Platinum but as I don't run a winch, there really wasn't much need.

Then after much reading and learning, I found out the obvious - the object of a battery is to start the vehicle more than anything. If it fails to do that than it's bad. If it's bad, then it needs to be replaced and therefore you want to buy a battery from an easy to find, nationwide, 24/7 chain. One that is backed by a no questions asked return policy for 3-years is hard to beat.

It was difficult at first to go from wanting the "best" battery to getting a "Walmart" battery. But once I learned more and that many folks who put much more electrical demands on their battery than I, feel that way - I understand. When it's time to replace this battery, I'll probably get a Diehard Platinum but for now, the lead-acid EverstartMAXX serves my needs just fine.

*Edit, if from Sears, then I take it you mean Diehard Gold? Duralast is Autozones in-house "brand".

ben.gators
08-21-11, 01:20 AM
I got Everstart MAXX from Walmart for my Seville. It's vented and comes with three year replacement warranty. And that's good enough for me! I paid just 70$ for it and after one year have had zero problem!

Jesda
08-21-11, 01:41 AM
Sounds similar to the one now in the e28, that came in my first e30. Being "sealed" just means you can't service it, vented means it's not sealed but also lead-acid. I've actually been quite impressed with this battery as it sat unused in the shed for about a year, and has been in the e28 now for a year and holds an excellent charge.

This battery goes under the back seat. If its not maintenance-free and sealed, its going to fill the cabin with undesirable gases, thus the connectors for venting tubes on the lid.

[Yep, I meant Diehard]

Night Wolf
08-21-11, 02:21 AM
This battery goes under the back seat. If its not maintenance-free and sealed, its going to fill the cabin with undesirable gases, thus the connectors for venting tubes on the lid.

[Yep, I meant Diehard]

Understood. But if it is vented, then how can it be sealed?

It simply has an extension hose to vent the battery away from the imediate area. "Maintenance-free" is more of marketing hype as it is still a lead-acid battery. Now there are no provisions to service it, though it really isn't that big of an issue these days.

A true sealed battery, like an AGM - can be mounted upside down without issue.

Jesda
08-21-11, 02:28 AM
Understood. But if it is vented, then how can it be sealed?

No removable caps because the electrolyte is sealed. The gases are vented.

ThumperPup
08-21-11, 04:30 AM
correct me if im wrong
but aren't there only like 4 or 5 companies that make the Batteries for cars but they just label them differnet depending on what label company orders them and all ?

I know i have prefered InterState brand
when i have had to replace a battery have3 not yet had to replace the one in the seville and i still get a good strong 14.5 when driving and 12.9 or 13 when first starting up in the morning so im happy

but i could have sworn that there is jsut a few companys that make them but they brand them differnet depending on who buys

Playdrv4me
08-21-11, 05:34 AM
Never had a problem with EverStarts. Sometimes I've even ended up with a battery sized a tad smaller than specified in an emergency and still had no problem.