: Only black folk drive Cadillac... Apparently.

neurotictim
08-16-11, 10:25 PM
This just happened to me. I'm not making any of it up. All I wanted to do was go to the grocery store, get the stupid dryer sheets my girlfriend has been after me about (and whatever else caught my eye) and get home. Just wrapped up tinting the tails on my CTS and putting everything together again.

Scene: Me (white dude, for the record) walking out of the Norfolk, VA (Tidewater Drive) Food Lion, and it's almost dark outside. Carrying a case of Mello Yello, a bag with Eggo waffles and dryer sheets, lighting up a Marlboro Ultra Light. I'm wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt that says, "What? I can't hear you over the sound of my awesomeness!" and I'm minding my own business.

A large, older white man in a NASCAR tee and cutoff jean shorts (I'm not making this up, I promise!) w/ sleeve tattoos and a beard/goatee thing, approaches me from a lifted Bronco/Jimmy (hard to tell in the dark)

Tattoo: "Hey, is that YOUR car?"

Me: Yep, just bought it a month or so ago.

Tattoo: You like it?

Me: Love it. Got a few more things I want to do to it, though - I can't wait to lower it and put the rims on it, though.

Tattoo: You don't really see many white folk drivin' that car.

Me: Really?

Tattoo (casually, as if we were old friends): Really - usually it's those (expletive deleted) n*****s, with their pants hanging off of 'em and gold teeth.

Me (obviously disgusted): Guess that shows they have good taste in cars.

Tattoo: What, you got a black girlfriend or somethin'?

Me: Yup, and my dad's black. Gotta run. (I don't have a black girlfriend currently, though I have dated a couple over the years. And my dad is definitely not black.)

Tattoo: Oh. (Confused, backs away a bit)

(I open the door and proceed to get in my car)

Tattoo (recovering): Hey, isn't that the car from that American Chopper show?

Me: Yeah - bunch of crazy white folk making motorcycles based on black folk's cars. :shrug:

Me: Have a good night, sir.

:sigh:

Here and I thought I was safe in my little ghetto Food Lion, no one bothering me but the occasional bum/beggar or drunk. I learned a long time ago, mind your own business in the ghetto, and nobody will bother with you. Not true when a redneck needs his Natty Light, I guess. I grew up in the inner-city Charlotte school system, and don't stand for racism when I encounter it. As Steve Martin has been known to say, "I grew up a poor black child". That said, I also know that I'm not changing anyone's mind, so the parking lot of a Food Lion probably isn't the best place to try to teach an old redneck dog new tricks. Plus, there was an even chance that he would have kicked the crap out of me, or gotten shot had our conversation gotten louder and been noticed. All this crossed my mind in a flash during the conversation.

And, also for the record, that's the second car in a row I've owned that is supposedly a "black folks" car - the Magnum being the first - and it's the second time some ******* redneck has asked me about the American Chopper show.

Anyone else run into this issue? Got a story to tell? I'm not trying to make this a political or race issue thread, it just pissed me off, and since it involved my CTS, I thought I'd share here.

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 10:42 PM
omg lol
thanks for sharing this

last year in Detroit i was at a Gas Station it was Spring i had the 20s on the caddy
this guy in a black area came up to me and said did you buy the car with those rims on it
i said why cause im white i can't put rims on a car after i buy it lol

brandondeleo
08-16-11, 10:52 PM
I get a lot of funny looks cruising down the road in a big Caddy with tinted windows blasting Nicki Minaj. Lol...

I've always said: "Two types of people drive Cadillacs. Old people and drug dealers." The fact that I bought my car from a guy trying to post bail didn't help the case any. Hahaha

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 10:55 PM
drug dealers used to drive caddys here in cleveland but back in late 90s i saw a real big rise in themn moving to the Aurora and then after the Aurora in late 2002 they started with the 2 door hondage accords and chrysler 300m and Lincoln LS and Cadillac Sevilles these where a few of the more standard owned drug dealer cars LMAO and the Rivera was in there back in the 90s for a short time also lol

cadillac kevin
08-16-11, 11:00 PM
I've had quite a few people ask me why I was driving a black persons car (for the record I drive a half torn apart '86 fleetwood brougham.) To which I would reply its not a black persons car. I'm white and I'm driving one. Besides, the old people drove them first, so technically its an old persons car.
I've also been asked by alot of young (early 20s) white guys (in an eager and serious tone) when I'm gonna put it on 24 inch spokes and get a better sound system. I would reply- I actually have class- then I'd walk off.

brandondeleo
08-16-11, 11:00 PM
I really like the 300M. It is a very strong contender in my list of possible next cars.

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 11:12 PM
I really like the 300M. It is a very strong contender in my list of possible next cars.

i almopst picked one up back in 02 when i found out Contiental was being discontiued in 01 the 02 would be the last model year i was thinking of going to a 300m but decided naw i got to get that conti

neurotictim
08-16-11, 11:16 PM
I've always thought you could tell a lot about a person by the car they drove - personalization is a statement, after all - but I honestly have never really thought about cars in a "black person's/white person's" perspective. It would be ignorant to suggest that you can't probably infer someone's race by the personalization they do, but there are no guarantees you'd be right.

Case in point - I know a guy who is pretty much the whitest guy on the planet. He has a late-90's Caprice, and it's decked out, show-car style. He only drives it on the nice days, but it's bagged and fiberglassed to within an inch of it's life. I would never have thought he'd drive something like that, put all that money into it, but it just goes to show that nothing is guaranteed.

More to the point, my 07 CTS (Sport/Lux package) is black, with 35% all the way around, just blacked out the tails, and screams "sports sedan" to me, FAR more than "drug dealer" or "thug" or whatever. :shrug:

Even if one were to speculate that you can tell a person's race by the car they drive, wouldn't it still be impolite (to put it nicely) to remark on it? Scratch the racial slurs, it's still kind of a d-bag thing to say.

neurotictim
08-16-11, 11:17 PM

My last car was an 05 Magnum, and I LOVED that car. Classy, practical, and reliable. I honestly think the 300/Charger/(former) Magnum chassis cars are some of the best Detroit's put out in a LONG time.

Aron9000
08-16-11, 11:44 PM
I told people that the original owner of my 91 Brougham was a crooked preacher out of Texas now doing time for tax evasion. They could infer for themselves if he was black or white.

brandondeleo
08-17-11, 12:10 AM
My last car was an 05 Magnum, and I LOVED that car. Classy, practical, and reliable. I honestly think the 300/Charger/(former) Magnum chassis cars are some of the best Detroit's put out in a LONG time.300M is a completely different chassis. It is based off of the Intrepid/ Concorde/ LHS. Love the ones you're talking about too. I love our Charger R/T. =]

ga_etc
08-17-11, 12:36 AM
I got that a lot when I had my '99 ETC. I got some funny looks when someone would see a Crimson Pearl red ETC pull up with the factory chrome wheels and then my 6' 250 pound self stepped out. But I also got more compliments on that car than anything else I've ever had, from people of all walks of life.

gdwriter
08-17-11, 01:40 AM
My ex-girlfriend's nieces called Sabrina a grandpa car. What do they know?

OffThaHorseCEO
08-17-11, 01:42 AM
stereotypes always have some truth to them. not saying its right to stereotype or make retarded comments based on that stereotype but it is what is it usually. of course every rule has exceptions as noted above.

another example, i was driving down the road the other day and i saw a midnight blue ford explorer with portholes in the back bumper, chrome decals on the window, and autozone thick plastic chrome flames everywhere, i mean everywhere. it was ridiculous looking. as i pulled up beside it i caught myself saying,"please dont be hispanic please dont be hispanic" sure enough, it was a black guy. so i recognized the stereotype, which is that my people like to put random ass decals everywhere, and then the exception to the rule since it was a black guy.

most people that make those comments though make them based on either hate or stupidity. i had a guy who was steady laughing at my wheels. i know not everyone likes them, and i understand some people will find them ridiculous but he was rude enough to laugh and then said yo i didnt think you rolled black people style.

i replied,"you mean in a car?"

fun fact: Cadillac was the first major manufacturer to sell to black people. Blacks used to have to pay a white guy to go buy the cadillac for them.

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 01:46 AM
My last car was an 05 Magnum, and I LOVED that car. Classy, practical, and reliable. I honestly think the 300/Charger/(former) Magnum chassis cars are some of the best Detroit's put out in a LONG time.

i really don't understand the magnum i dont think Chrysler Corp understood it either lol
seriously i see like 1 or 2 in a blue moon besides the 1 that is around the corner from me atleast when im in cleveland and every time i see one they always have this gold awfull 22s or 24s on them one even had a 26s on them lol sorry but i cant get into that waggon magnum with rims on it its just not really cool to look at
now sting is going to come in here and say why cant you look at a wagon like that lol

ThumperPup
08-17-11, 01:47 AM
and my dad alway ssays you drive like a black person i sasid first time he said that why he said you do the Gangsta lean LOL seat way back tilted lol

ben.gators
08-17-11, 01:58 AM
My ex-girlfriend's nieces called Sabrina a grandpa car. What do they know?

So that is why she is an ex now! :D

Playdrv4me
08-17-11, 05:38 AM
i really don't understand the magnum i dont think Chrysler Corp understood it either lol
seriously i see like 1 or 2 in a blue moon besides the 1 that is around the corner from me atleast when im in cleveland and every time i see one they always have this gold awfull 22s or 24s on them one even had a 26s on them lol sorry but i cant get into that waggon magnum with rims on it its just not really cool to look at
now sting is going to come in here and say why cant you look at a wagon like that lol

If you need some cargo space, and have had enough of SUVs (I haven't... yet), the Magnum SRT8 is one of the coolest quickest wagons ever produced. It's up there with the E55 AMG Wagon and B Body Impala SS Conversion wagons.

neurotictim
08-17-11, 07:22 AM

I bought the Magnum shortly after being promoted when I was active duty in the Navy - prior to that I had a Grand Am. I'm a steadily gigging bassist, with two or three things going on at once (not including random session work) and wanted something with more space than the Grand Am. I don't like sitting high up off the ground - got a bit of a racing in my blood and never could get used to sitting way up high - and I wanted something with some style. I HATE the "retro-theme" car designs floating around.

I wore the tires down on the Mag, and when it came time for new ones I found a good deal on gently used Charger rims - 17" 5-spoke alloys. So that's what I rolled on. I put the GPS/DVD/MP3 system in, along with an amp and subs, because I like to listen to music LOUD, but also because I like to have the whole range of frequencies in my music. That was as far as I went with mods in that car - I've got more done to my CTS that I've owned for less than 2 months that I did to the Magnum I owned for better than 3 years.

I have very few complaints about the Mag - visibility being the big one. Never had a single issue with reliability/dependability.

And I could have sworn the 300 was based on the same chassis as the Charger/Magnum. Shows what I know. ;)

Either way, I say again that I think Daimler seriously stepped up Chrysler's game. Hopefully Fiat continues that upward trend in quality. They certainly could benefit from bringing it back - and there are rumors to make one believe they will in fact bring it back. The European Magnum had a 300 front clip and an optional diesel engine, which (in my opinion, anyway) would be super-hot and "eco" enough to sell well here.

M5eater
08-17-11, 09:02 AM
OP do you go up to haygood on saturdays or out to smithfield for the lions thing on every other friday?

as for the acutal topic, I can't say I've encountered such, sans the stare or thumbs up from passer-bys.

neurotictim
08-17-11, 10:02 AM
M5eater - I used to go regularly to Jenro's up at Haygood for the "car shows" during the spring and summer, but haven't been in years. Back then I was still running a Camaro club and spending more time at the track than anything else. Once I get a few more things done with the CTS I may start going again, though. Band practice is usually Saturdays, so it would likely be after 6 or so if I go.

You may not run into issues because you're driving an '11 V2 - not typically associated with thugs and dealers.

M5eater
08-17-11, 12:09 PM
M5eater - I used to go regularly to Jenro's up at Haygood for the "car shows" during the spring and summer, but haven't been in years. Back then I was still running a Camaro club and spending more time at the track than anything else. Once I get a few more things done with the CTS I may start going again, though. Band practice is usually Saturdays, so it would likely be after 6 or so if I go.

You may not run into issues because you're driving an '11 V2 - not typically associated with thugs and dealers.

you should make plans to this weekend, I usually turn up @ past 5:30 anyway. I've been the only caddy there for months now. :(

The Tony Show
08-17-11, 12:13 PM
I'm shocked, offended, outraged and appalled- You actually smoke Marlboro Ultra Lights?? Blech.

neurotictim
08-17-11, 12:28 PM
I may just find the time this weekend, then. You're giving me an excuse to get up close and personal with a V2? I think I can find time somewhere... ;) I guess I'll have to get my lazy rear up and do the front tints between now and then.

Yeah, yeah - Ultra Lights. Except now they're called Silvers. And :P

rics8
08-17-11, 01:15 PM
a car is a car period.
IF someone wants to say cadillac's are for black people, cool because they are 40-60k cars.
not all back people are drug dealers :) so If I own a range rover and a sts hmm I'm a drug king pin lol

maeng9981
08-17-11, 01:30 PM
I've always said: "Two types of people drive Cadillacs. Old people and drug dealers."

My version is this: "There are three types of people who drive Cadillacs. Old folks, drug dealers and me."

orconn
08-17-11, 02:34 PM
Seems to me the demographics of the neighborhood you guys frequent have more to do with who drives old Cadillacs. In the neighborhoods that I am most familiar with young, old and even the drug dealers drive Mercedes, BMW and a smattering of newer Cadillacs .... without regard to race or ethnic heritage.

I've heard that in Texas there is a saying "Don't make fun of a man's car, he's driving the best he can afford!" My understanding is this saying applies to all ethnic and racial groups.

brandondeleo
08-17-11, 02:49 PM
And I could have sworn the 300 was based on the same chassis as the Charger/Magnum. Shows what I know. ;)
I am talking about the 300M. Not 300C. Production ended in 2002 or 2003, I believe. 7898478985
I like the Magnum, and it's probably the only wagon I would ever buy, short of a CTS sport wagon.

Destroyer
08-17-11, 03:00 PM
i really don't understand the magnumIt is a station wagon vs a sedan. It has more room for people that need it but don't necessarily like or want a minivan. What part is hard to understand?

Destroyer
08-17-11, 03:05 PM
Tattoo: "Hey, is that YOUR car?"

Me: Yep, just bought it a month or so ago.

Tattoo: You like it?

Me: Love it. Got a few more things I want to do to it, though - I can't wait to lower it and put the rims on it, though.

Tattoo: You don't really see many white folk drivin' that car.

Me: Really?

Tattoo (casually, as if we were old friends): Really - usually it's those (expletive deleted) n*****s, with their pants hanging off of 'em and gold teeth.

Me (obviously disgusted): Guess that shows they have good taste in cars.

Tattoo: What, you got a black girlfriend or somethin'?

Me: Yup, and my dad's black. Gotta run. (I don't have a black girlfriend currently, though I have dated a couple over the years. And my dad is definitely not black.)

Tattoo: Oh. (Confused, backs away a bit)

(I open the door and proceed to get in my car)

Tattoo (recovering): Hey, isn't that the car from that American Chopper show?

Me: Yeah - bunch of crazy white folk making motorcycles based on black folk's cars. :shrug:

Me: Have a good night, sir.

You actually made him right in this episode. At least this confirms his feelings and his simple little mind will continue to believe it. If you didn't add that you had a "black girlfriend" or a "black dad" you would have proven him wrong. :)

77CDV
08-17-11, 03:30 PM
I think it was the waffles that set him off. :lol:

brandondeleo
08-17-11, 03:35 PM
Don't forget the chicken. But yeah, seriously. Have you had chicken and waffles?? OMFG AWESOME. Especially with a heavy topping of Tapatio. :cloud9:

Whoa! When I type w a f f l e s waffles happens!

77CDV
08-17-11, 03:38 PM
Fried chicken and waffles with gravy is absolute heaven (and will probably get you to heaven a whole lot faster than you might want!).

brandondeleo
08-17-11, 03:40 PM
Fried chicken and waffles with gravy is absolute heaven (and will probably get you to heaven a whole lot faster than you might want!).Psh. What is this 'unhealthy' madness? I call BS. If it tastes good, it is good for you. My words are true.

orconn
08-17-11, 03:42 PM
Back in L.A. I used to occasionally go to Roscoe's for their chicken and waffles, parking lot was full of Mercedes, BMW's and a few Cadillacs! Clientelle was mostly black with a smattering of whites (probably the owners of the Cadillacs!).

brandondeleo
08-17-11, 03:44 PM
I've been to Roscoe's... It was absolute heaven.

Jesda
08-17-11, 05:18 PM
I'm waiting for someone to ask me why a fat Asian guy like me is driving a car made for hot Scandinavian women.

Playdrv4me
08-17-11, 05:23 PM
I bought the Magnum shortly after being promoted when I was active duty in the Navy - prior to that I had a Grand Am. I'm a steadily gigging bassist, with two or three things going on at once (not including random session work) and wanted something with more space than the Grand Am. I don't like sitting high up off the ground - got a bit of a racing in my blood and never could get used to sitting way up high - and I wanted something with some style. I HATE the "retro-theme" car designs floating around.

I wore the tires down on the Mag, and when it came time for new ones I found a good deal on gently used Charger rims - 17" 5-spoke alloys. So that's what I rolled on. I put the GPS/DVD/MP3 system in, along with an amp and subs, because I like to listen to music LOUD, but also because I like to have the whole range of frequencies in my music. That was as far as I went with mods in that car - I've got more done to my CTS that I've owned for less than 2 months that I did to the Magnum I owned for better than 3 years.

I have very few complaints about the Mag - visibility being the big one. Never had a single issue with reliability/dependability.

Either way, I say again that I think Daimler seriously stepped up Chrysler's game. Hopefully Fiat continues that upward trend in quality. They certainly could benefit from bringing it back - and there are rumors to make one believe they will in fact bring it back. The European Magnum had a 300 front clip and an optional diesel engine, which (in my opinion, anyway) would be super-hot and "eco" enough to sell well here.

The 300/300"C" rides on that Charger and Magnum platform, the 300"M" rides on the old LH platform.

JimmyH
08-17-11, 07:09 PM
takes all kinds to make the world go round

btw, marlboro ultra lights ftw (relatively speaking)

neurotictim
08-17-11, 07:10 PM
Ahhhh, I didn't put 2+2 together correctly. 300M you say? I must have been thinking about waffles.
:D

And yeah, if I hadn't made the quip about a black gf and dad, I'd have proven him wrong. But the look on his face and my quick wit wouldn't let that happen. Any more than I would have given him my...

waffles.

orconn
08-17-11, 08:30 PM
I'm waiting for someone to ask me why a fat Asian guy like me is driving a car made for hot Scandinavian women.

It just goes to show that you have a lively imagination, and a very positive attitude!

M5eater
08-17-11, 09:45 PM

Dear sir,

for why does fluffy man drive car made for sexy lady?

regards, Eater of M5s

p.s. have you see that direct tv commercial with the 2-story panda bear?

Jesda
08-17-11, 09:59 PM
Just saw it for the first time. I LOL'd:

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-directv-133915

M5eater
08-17-11, 10:02 PM
Just saw it for the first time. I LOL'd:

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-directv-133915

lol it was pretty good, not quite as good as the russian billionare one, but still made me giggle.

Rodya234
08-17-11, 10:51 PM
Waffles are good.

bill57
08-19-11, 12:43 PM
A common joke going around in the '70's:
Q.) What are the two major black holidays?
A.) Martin Luther King's birthday in January, and the day the new Cadillacs arrive at the showroom in September.

neurotictim
08-19-11, 04:02 PM
Ironically enough, just got back from the same Food Lion (did dog food get more expensive lately?) and as I was getting into my car, the guy in the car beside me said "nice Cadillac, bro."

Coincidentally enough, it was a young black fella, with dreadlock and a NY Yankees hat on, sitting in a black Blazer.

;)

orconn
08-19-11, 04:38 PM
It has been said that black folks are more on top of things "style wise" than Rednecks.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-19-11, 05:25 PM
there are good and bad in every bunch. you have trashy people in every race every religion every region and so on.

orconn
08-19-11, 05:46 PM
there are good and bad in every bunch. you have trashy people in every race every religion every region and so on.

Yeah, and some of them drive Cadillacs!

OffThaHorseCEO
08-19-11, 06:08 PM
the trashy ones or the non trashy ones?

neurotictim
08-19-11, 07:33 PM
Both.

Another funny note, saw a Jeep Cherokee, lifted with massive wheels under it, and it had a vinyl sticker across the back glass that said "White Trash Mafia".

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 03:59 AM
Lololol.... I was talking to one of my ex-girlfriends today. She and I have a great relationship- we are still best friends. Anyway, she said she saw a picture of my car and said something along the lines of "What the hell? Dude, you're blacker than me." In any other circumstance it doesn't matter, but since it fits the subject here, she's very black. :histeric: I said "So I can't drive a Cadillac because I'm Italian?" and she followed with "I just never pictured you in a n*****mobile!" I laughed so hard I had nothing to reply...

The-Dullahan
08-20-11, 05:54 AM
Ironically, I am widely accepted in whichever racial Ghetto I end up in (Because I am Irish and am therby not merely a minority, but an endangered species?)

Anyhow, in Haines City (Google Image Search for DONK yields everything you need to know) Most people drive Chrysler 300's (in that off-white colour) or the occasional five-year-old Chevy Impala. Each has way to many fake vents on the sides (And doors/trunk) and really tacky chrome wheels, or even better spinning...hubcaps?

Anyhow, my car is typically remembered anywhere I go (I once actually had someone approach me about two years after he saw my car to ask if it was me and I know this because to this day, I have still not been where he saw it) people tend to remember That Hearse Guy (But it's the south, so it's often called a Hurst)

Ironically, sometimes no one recognizes it is a Cadillac. I mean, from the front doors up, it clearly looks like a Cadillac, resembling strongly just about everything the company produced from 1980 to 1990, but they never realize. I often get compliments for customizing my "ride" with Cadillac rims, because as I said, it is clearly NOT a Cadillac, right?

Lately, I learned my car has adapted the nickname of King Kong in the most local such areas (A sub-community that is branched off of mine and a series of "$99 Special!" apartments), presumably because it is gigantic and stands out.

One thing is great. Whether it's pulling up at a streetlight next to some kids in a riced out Honda or a DONK Cavalier, or it's at a parking lot for a show or errands, there is nothing better than the looks on people's faces when they realize that massive stereo they are envying finishes opening the track and it is actually playing bagpipes and fiddles. Kind of sad too, up north, that is exactly what anyone would expect.

*sees a hearse* "Hey, more Irish folk!"

My basic hopes however are that people in the south (Rednecks or autotuned rap artists) stop acquiring hearses.

maeng9981
08-20-11, 07:05 AM
Most people drive Chrysler 300's (in that off-white colour) or the occasional five-year-old Chevy Impala. Each has way to many fake vents on the sides (And doors/trunk) and really tacky chrome wheels

Everything I spotted.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4372/20292290.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4613/74160085.jpg

brandondeleo
08-20-11, 07:09 AM
Reminds me of Pomona, California. Hahaha

77CDV
08-20-11, 02:48 PM
:lol:

The-Dullahan
08-20-11, 04:30 PM
There is this local Avalanche (I think...I can;t even remember, because of all of the excess badges) And it...Yeah, it must be an Avalanche, because it;s not an Escalade.

Anyhow, I feel they are from Boston, which kind of upsets me, but they have so many ad-on badges and for some reason ALWAYS park next to me, (every time I see it, I see them every day for a week) but it lives in a neighbouring county, that much I know.

Anyhow, it has grille badges, it has those fake intake vent

OffThaHorseCEO
08-20-11, 05:43 PM
Everything I spotted.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4372/20292290.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4613/74160085.jpg

rear brake cooling ducts yo!

also, he wants to make sure everyone knows he rolls an impala and not some other car

77CDV
08-20-11, 06:31 PM
The last Impala was pretty generic, so every little bit helps. :lol:

Rodya234
08-21-11, 12:00 AM
My favorites are the cars with "24 INCH" or "DUB" decals on them, but they have the stock wheels on. :lol:

Stingroo
08-21-11, 10:19 AM
Where I come from, we call that REPO'd.

lol

bill57
08-21-11, 01:35 PM
What are "DUB" decals??

Rodya234
08-21-11, 11:35 PM
^ In ghetto-speak, Dub means 20. So saying an item "costs a Dub" would mean it cost $20. In this case, the Dub decals are supposed to indicate that the car has 20 inch wheels.

This has been Rodya234, your guide to life in Chicago.

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 12:18 AM
DUB is also a brand, widely popular with the aforementioned crowd of Impalas and 300Cs.

Destroyer
08-22-11, 06:29 PM
^ In ghetto-speak, Dub means 20. So saying an item "costs a Dub" would mean it cost $20. In this case, the Dub decals are supposed to indicate that the car has 20 inch wheels.

This has been Rodya234, your guide to life in Chicago.So if an item cost 10, what would be the name for that? Half a dub? 30? Dub and half? I could go on but something $2542 would confuse if the most jaded "dubber". :)

vincentm
08-22-11, 06:35 PM
Back in the day a Dubb was a $20 sack of weed...

don't ask me how i know that

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 06:38 PM
So if an item cost 10, what would be the name for that? Half a dub? 30? Dub and half? I could go on but something $2542 would confuse if the most jaded "dubber". :)

one of our friends used to talk like that.

He owed my brother money once and told him hed be bringing him "half a spider". So my brother and i not knowing what the hell a spyder was expected 80. our logic was a spider has 8 legs, and most money slang is based on 20...20*8=160, half a spider would be 80. imagine our surprise when he pulled out $20 lol

my brother was like,"you had to try to be cool, you couldnt say 20? you couldnt say a dub at least"

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 06:41 PM
Back in the day a Dubb was a $20 sack of weed...

don't ask me how i know that

i always heard it referred to as a dub-sack never dub by itself

Destroyer
08-22-11, 06:53 PM
one of our friends used to talk like that.

He owed my brother money once and told him hed be bringing him "half a spider". So my brother and i not knowing what the hell a spyder was expected 80. our logic was a spider has 8 legs, and most money slang is based on 20...20*8=160, half a spider would be 80. imagine our surprise when he pulled out $20 lol

my brother was like,"you had to try to be cool, you couldnt say 20? you couldnt say a dub at least"LOL. I never heard of a spider either but I don't think I would have come to the conclusion it meant 160. So how does a "spider" equate to 20?

vincentm
08-22-11, 06:55 PM
i always heard it referred to as a dub-sack never dub by itself

Or a Twomp

The-Dullahan
08-22-11, 06:56 PM
30 is Dub-Point-Five.

Destroyer
08-22-11, 07:09 PM
30 is Dub-Point-Five.I would try to conclude that this "language" is easier to speak due to the small lump of charcoal saddled between the ears of the people that would use it but alas, dub-point-five is actually longer and has more syllables than 30. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the planet. :)

Stingroo
08-22-11, 07:11 PM
It's like the people on the Internet who type shit in overly complicated ways to be cool. Prime example iS tYpiiNqq lYk diiZ

*shudder*

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 07:11 PM
I would try to conclude that this "language" is easier to speak due to the small lump of charcoal saddled between the ears of the people that would use it but alas, dub-point-five is actually longer and has more syllables than 30. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the planet. :)

double u tee eff has more syllables then what the f but people still insist on using the letters to be cool

nkotb, back in the day people used this alot to "save the trouble of having to say new kids on the block" same amount of syllables and if you actually said the bands name you didnt sound AS retarded

Stingroo
08-22-11, 07:14 PM
Now that's NKOTBSB.

*shudder again*

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 07:15 PM
LOL. I never heard of a spider either but I don't think I would have come to the conclusion it meant 160. So how does a "spider" equate to 20?

heck if i know, he just said "thats just what it is man"

Destroyer
08-22-11, 07:19 PM
double u tee eff has more syllables then what the f but people still insist on using the letters to be cool

nkotb, back in the day people used this alot to "save the trouble of having to say new kids on the block" same amount of syllables and if you actually said the bands name you didnt sound AS retarded
Yes but if you came up to me telling me how awesome you thought nkotb was I'd look at you like wtf??? You would have to go out of your way to tell me what nkotb stood for. Would you really be saving time there? You'd still get the wtf look though!!!!:bonkers::histeric:

brandondeleo
08-22-11, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lht_tdJQFbs

OffThaHorseCEO
08-22-11, 07:35 PM
Yes but if you came up to me telling me how awesome you thought nkotb was I'd look at you like wtf??? You would have to go out of your way to tell me what nkotb stood for. Would you really be saving time there? You'd still get the wtf look though!!!!:bonkers::histeric:

true, which is exactly why acronyms in most speech is retarded

except for CTS, because saying "C-size ( :cough: catera) Touring Sedan" would get old quick

JimmyH
08-22-11, 07:55 PM
zomg

The-Dullahan
08-22-11, 09:30 PM
true, which is exactly why acronyms in most speech is retarded

except for CTS, because saying "C-size ( :cough: catera) Touring Sedan" would get old quick

Some states still call them "Catera" if you register them there, or if it is the eight-cylinder variant, it is called "Catera Sport"

SOURCE: It has happened to me twice.