: Nav says no disc?

mckellyb
08-16-11, 05:54 PM
Um, but the one which was in there three minutes ago, is still there...

I was on the way home, stopped for literally less than five minutes, came back, and the 'nav disc missing' message is on the screen. I ejected, re-inserted, and it still said 'no disc'.

I shut the engine off, opened the door, closed the door, re-started the car, and still, 'no disc'. It was rather warm, yesterday, but it's been hotter, recently. Yesterday was 'only', 104F, or so, but it's been 110F.

This morning, after a night in the chilly 95F garage, it was fine. Could this merely be heat-related?

Otherwise, after 2-3 months, or however long it's been, I still love the car! The N* consumes no oil and it appears the OLM is going to give me about 12K miles per change. Woo-Hoo!

If it had no OLM, I'd still use M1 5W30 but would change it every 10K miles, regardless.

dkozloski
08-16-11, 06:04 PM
Gremlins!

EChas3
08-16-11, 08:34 PM
You might try cleaning the disk. Cleaners are available but a soft cloth dampened with distilled water does a good job. Wipe across the tracks, not with them. There are websites with a wide variety of disk restoration techniques. (I keep the original in a cool dark place and use a copy in the car. DVD's do go bad.)

Alternatively, pull the Nav fuse & replace it. (The nav unit gets power when shut off or even when the car is off.)

Resetting all the car's systems completely is a last resort. Pull the battery cables (negative first), touch them together & reconnect (negative last).

nathanjax
08-16-11, 09:04 PM
My 04 Escalade use to do this. Dealer said it was a problem with the nav unit itself recognizing the data on the disc and said I would need a new head unit...

valjan1
08-16-11, 10:13 PM
Use Mobile1 10W/30 during hot weather

KRSTS
08-17-11, 12:50 AM

very bad advice:tisk:

Chuckj5
08-17-11, 01:36 AM
On page 2-6 of my manual, under DVD Map Disk Messages...If an error message appears on the display ...... If it is very hot, when the temperature returns to normal, the map disk should play. If all else fails, read the manual...I have been reading it for three days trying to set my Home from the front yard, my development is new so the address is not on the disk. I can save it as a memory point, but I can't seem to name it as home or get the home button to recognize the memory point.

mckellyb
08-18-11, 12:22 PM

<golf clap>

Nicely done.

mckellyb
08-18-11, 12:24 PM
You might try cleaning the disk. Cleaners are available but a soft cloth dampened with distilled water does a good job. Wipe across the tracks, not with them. There are websites with a wide variety of disk restoration techniques. (I keep the original in a cool dark place and use a copy in the car. DVD's do go bad.)

Alternatively, pull the Nav fuse & replace it. (The nav unit gets power when shut off or even when the car is off.)

Resetting all the car's systems completely is a last resort. Pull the battery cables (negative first), touch them together & reconnect (negative last).

Thanks! That's the first thing I did was clean the disc, having a soft cloth for sunglasses and some distilled water in a spritzer. Didn't change.

It's been fine, since, so I chalk it up to 'personality'.

dkozloski
08-18-11, 01:20 PM
Thanks! That's the first thing I did was clean the disc, having a soft cloth for sunglasses and some distilled water in a spritzer. Didn't change.

Gremlins.

valjan1
08-18-11, 02:53 PM
Then explain why i should not use a thicker oil when it is hot
Let me see , the 10 in 10 W30 is for cold start and the 30 is for keeping your oil pressure in hot weather .GM say that you may substitute 5w30 for 10w30 with the GM Standard GM4718M if temperature is ABOVE 0 Farenneight .

valjan1
08-18-11, 02:54 PM
Then explain why i should not use a thicker oil when it is hot
Let me see , the 10 in 10 W30 is for cold start and the 30 is for keeping your oil pressure in hot weather .GM say that you may substitute 5w30 for 10w30 with the GM Standard GM4718M if temperature is ABOVE 0 Farenneight .

EChas3
08-18-11, 10:10 PM

A machine with personality needs repair.

mckellyb
08-19-11, 04:49 PM
A machine with personality needs repair.

Over the years, I've found 'personality' may merely be oddities, not necessarily something requiring repair. I consider the fact GM decided to give us a DRL 'off' switch, personality, one trait I very much like.

Machines always in need of repair...I have a much different attitude toward.

EChas3
08-19-11, 10:21 PM
Do you prefer, "that doesn't work as designed" to "with personality"?

dkozloski
08-21-11, 04:48 AM
Gremlins.