: 2011 electrical weirdness....

cruiser68
08-16-11, 03:36 PM
Had a strange one this morning. Got into my V just like normal and started it. Engine running but nothing lit up on either Nav screen or ANY of the radio/HVAC controls. No HVAC running, no sound from radio. Waited about 15 seconds, pushed power buttons for radio and hvac, nothing. Shut it off and restarted, same thing. Shut off and started again and everything still dead. 20 seconds later, start hearing CD spin then the lights come on, 5 seconds later, everything working as normal.

Have not had any issues with my V for 4500 miles until this. Anybody seen anything similar?

MReiland
08-16-11, 03:50 PM
What year?

JOEYCTS-V
08-16-11, 04:05 PM
^^^^^
Re: 2011 electrical weirdness....

cruiser, My 2011 had the same problem which got progressively worse. Eventually I lost power to the gauge cluster and sometimes my car wouldn't start. There are a few others who have this problem that never got it resolved. I made a post a few weeks ago about my situation but it only got one reply and was pushed to the bottom. It turned out there was a chafed wire underneath my drivers seat that was grounding out and shutting down some of the unboard computers. Have your dealer look there first. Good luck and let us know.

cruiser68
08-16-11, 05:11 PM
^^^^^

cruiser, My 2011 had the same problem which got progressively worse. Eventually I lost power to the gauge cluster and sometimes my car wouldn't start. There are a few others who have this problem that never got it resolved. I made a post a few weeks ago about my situation but it only got one reply and was pushed to the bottom. It turned out there was a chafed wire underneath my drivers seat that was grounding out and shutting down some of the unboard computers. Have your dealer look there first. Good luck and let us know.

Well that is not encouraging. This was the first occurrence but it sounds like I can look forward to it happening again. I had a similar problem on my 08 Yukon Denali. Absolutely no power at times then fine at others. Ended up being a bad battery ground wire. Sounds like a similar grounding issue here.

Thanks for the feedback. Might take a look under my seat :) Coincidentally, I had to move my seat up last night so my daughter could drive home and I never really have moved the seat since I bought it.

cruiser68
08-16-11, 05:11 PM
What year?

2011....in the title.

Kluch
08-16-11, 05:39 PM
My 08 CTS was frought with electrical problems. My 11 V...we'll see. Sorry to hear about your issue. Electrical issues can be so frustrating. Especially when dealer "cannot duplicate prolem."

litig8r187
08-16-11, 06:50 PM
Had the exact same thing happen to my 2010 about 2 weeks ago. I drove to a gas station and popped the hood and checked fuses and other connections and found noting wrong. I got back in and started the car and everything was fine. I haven't had it happen since then. I have noticed the "easy-entry" on my seat is kinda hit or miss. After reading JOEYCTS-V post, I wonder if they are related.

One thing odd about my experience was the A/C was running on low (where I left it set when I had got out last) but I was unable to control it with the console "dark". In fact, that is how I first noticed the problem. When I pulled out of my drive, I went to set the A/C to "Auto" and noticed everything was dark. My instrument cluster was working fine though.

I'd sure be interested in figuring this one out before i get stuck without A/C in 105 degree temps here in Texas.

JOEYCTS-V
08-16-11, 07:50 PM
I really think they're related because sometimes only the center console would go out on me. It would come back on while driving sometimes after a few seconds and other times after a few minutes. Cruiser, if you're going to tackle this yourself I know they removed the drivers seat but not sure if they removed the carpeting. I think they did though. I will check my invoice and see what it says.

cruiser68
08-16-11, 10:38 PM
Thanks. It looks REALLY tight under there so it looks like the seat has to come out. I've pulled seats before, I just don't know if I want to. Had the numerous "cannot duplicate" on my Yukon no power problem. I finally replaced the cable myself due to some forum advice and believe it or not my dealer reimbursed me for the cable as it was under extended warranty. Fixed it though. I got a 100K extended on my V because of the electrical issues I had with my Yukon. Agreed, electrical issues can be extremely hard to diagnose. I will probably do nothing unless it starts to duplicate over and over. At least on my Yukon I could jiggle the battery cable and it would power up and start EVERY time.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

v05
09-26-11, 08:23 AM
Add me to the list. Ive got a 09. The radio will still play but the screen will have nothing on it. The screen is almost pitch black, it has a very small amount of light in the back ground.... I can turn it on and off, raise and lower the screen and it does nothing. A few seconds to few min. and i will light back up and then be fine..