: What does a CAM do and any recommendations on one that....

jwall09
08-16-11, 01:02 PM
Doesnt sound like the car has a CAM? I want the car to idle normally, but if there are gains that will NOT put wear/tear on the engine then i would consider adding one.

kirbyCTSV
08-16-11, 02:03 PM
yes ur car has a cam (sure hope so). you can swap our ur OEM camshaft for a more aggressive one to gains but changing cam isnt a "bolt-on" type mod. read this to understand how it works (ours is like the bottom one - pushrod).

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft1.htm

Mike TexaSS
08-16-11, 06:17 PM
Lpe gt9

wait4me
08-16-11, 06:35 PM
We have a cam that idles like stock as well, It adds around 40hp depending on other mods. Set to the lift/flow profile of the heads you are using. Stock, and a different one if ported.

If you want something specific, i can pick out a cam lobe for you to hit your goals, usually it takes a few days to dropship a cam from Comp. Or same day if it is a grind i use alot..

The cam i usually use though is just as smooth as stock, just a slightly higher noise level from the mufflers due to the larger volume of air going thru.

jwall09
08-16-11, 10:30 PM
So the different cams, aside from HP do what? push the rods faster? Also, will it have any wear on the engine anymore than a stock one would?

smackdownCTSV
08-16-11, 10:52 PM
We have a cam that idles like stock as well, It adds around 40hp depending on other mods. Set to the lift/flow profile of the heads you are using. Stock, and a different one if ported.

If you want something specific, i can pick out a cam lobe for you to hit your goals, usually it takes a few days to dropship a cam from Comp. Or same day if it is a grind i use alot..

The cam i usually use though is just as smooth as stock, just a slightly higher noise level from the mufflers due to the larger volume of air going thru.

How much for it?

wait4me
08-17-11, 10:09 AM
$370 is all im charging on them, set exactly to your hp goal, and mods.. Comp cam cores using a mild non aggressive lobe for less drivetrain wear.

wait4me
08-17-11, 10:16 AM
So the different cams, aside from HP do what? push the rods faster? Also, will it have any wear on the engine anymore than a stock one would?

I more down to earth explanation.

Cams are in control to the arteries of the Heart of your engine. Think of the wrong cam as being a clogged arterie in your heart which makes you feel bad and have no energy to do anything.. The better the cam, the better the flow thru the heart to make it feel better and make more power.

A cam too big will loose low end drivability and cause more wear on the springs, and lifters, and cam lobes. BUT makes more power on the top end usually.

The LOBE choice by the person selecting your cam is pretty important in how much more wear the engine components will go thru.

roast beef
08-17-11, 08:07 PM
So W4M. Care to share any specs on these cams?

GMX322V S/C
08-18-11, 12:09 AM

Any difference in valvetrain noise?