: Key Fob

Grunder
08-16-11, 11:12 AM
New here -

Can someone please tell me how to get the key out of the fob for an '08 STS? I searched "key" and "key fob", but found nothing. I have pressed the little 'key release bar' on the fob(s), but to no avail. Do I need to use vice-grips? :)

Thanks,

John

nathanjax
08-16-11, 03:47 PM
You have to press it pretty hard. seriously... sometimes I have a hard time getting mine out...

Grunder
08-16-11, 08:44 PM
T
You have to press it pretty hard. seriously... sometimes I have a hard time getting mine out...

Thanks for the reply! I can't believe you're the only one that did so out of 47 views!

I'll keep trying, but neither fob would release it's key(s) no matter how hard I press the release.

John

nathanjax
08-16-11, 08:55 PM
Try to use the flat side of a butter knife on the button. Once open, use some Dielectric Grease on the latch to try to soften the release mechanism.

RippyPartsDept
08-16-11, 09:00 PM
:yeah: but be careful... i've seen some people break theirs... and a new remote costs more than you'd like to pay
btw, why do you need they key?

EChas3
08-16-11, 10:04 PM
I know the 2006 key that I mated t0 the new-style fob fits very tight.

Grunder
08-17-11, 10:56 AM
:yeah: but be careful... i've seen some people break theirs... and a new remote costs more than you'd like to pay
btw, why do you need they key?

Thanks for the replies. This is a "new" vehicle to me, and I just wanted to try the key in all of the 'locks' to make sure they, and the key, worked.

I finally got it to come out, by pulling up (not out) on the silver part of the fob (where you can attach a ring and other keys) and pressing down on the release bar - that worked!

John