: GM's Reply to My Request for a Sunroof Delete or making it ala Carte in Uplevel Trims

b4z
08-16-11, 09:25 AM
Emailed Cadillac with the above question and they called me back the next day.

"Our resources show that the SRX comes standard equipped with the sunroof for the Luxury, Premium and Performance Collections.
We do not show an option to have the sunroof deleted."

"Customer demand is a primary consideration when we consider the features that will be included in a vehicle. We are constantly working to get the options and models that will suit everyone's needs.........."

I then put in a request to have the sunroof a seperate option.
I understand why GM has done it this way because it increases the per unit profit, but as a tall person who wants as much head space as possible and who doesn't want a 100lbs of glass raising the center of gravity, I would like to see the sunroof available separately.

Smokin' SRX
08-16-11, 10:26 AM
Nice try my friend. I agree. I would most likely put the approx $1K saved in my pocket too, as we open it maybe once a year. Manufacturers usually don't bend to our wants, in these areas. Yet, they DID put the door lock switches on the DOOR, finally, for 2012!! So kudos to Caddy for that much.

SS

dctex99
08-16-11, 05:11 PM
I agree; have no use for a Sunroof, and I always look at newer SRX's in California and have NEVER seen one driving with it open. You can always tell because of bright lighting on Passenger/driver. I see it on an occasional BMW or Mercedes! Such a waste of money and weight with that HUGE glass and panel!!

b4z
08-16-11, 05:32 PM
You can get the sunroof separately on all the CTS models including the V's.

And you could get it separately on most of the gen 1 SRX trim levels.

You could buy a base car and get the Ultraview. In fact they later had a promotional free sunroof on the 2007 SRX.

cz9h3d
08-17-11, 07:23 PM
The value in the Ultraview roof is with it closed - lots of glass to open up the inside. Are headroom figures published for both with and without the sunroof?

Basically as long as most people want the roof and/or dealers only want to stock and sell with the roof, that is the option. Escalade does have a sunroof delete option - I wonder if that's possible on the SRX? And of course by possible it comes down to what other parts are being driven by the sunroof - i.e. is the car actually engineered to be built without? Do they have a overhead dome lamp bezel without the sunroof controls but with the garage door buttons? Has the Bose 5.1 uplevel speaker system been tuned to a vehicle without the sunroof? Do wire harnesses exist to support all the Luxury, Performance, or Premium content but without the sunroof?

Yea - the engineer in me is showing through. Maybe the marketing types will take a run at this.

b4z
08-18-11, 07:11 PM
The value in the Ultraview roof is with it closed - lots of glass to open up the inside. Are headroom figures published for both with and without the sunroof?

Basically as long as most people want the roof and/or dealers only want to stock and sell with the roof, that is the option. Escalade does have a sunroof delete option - I wonder if that's possible on the SRX? And of course by possible it comes down to what other parts are being driven by the sunroof - i.e. is the car actually engineered to be built without? Do they have a overhead dome lamp bezel without the sunroof controls but with the garage door buttons? Has the Bose 5.1 uplevel speaker system been tuned to a vehicle without the sunroof? Do wire harnesses exist to support all the Luxury, Performance, or Premium content but without the sunroof?

Yea - the engineer in me is showing through. Maybe the marketing types will take a run at this.

i'm with you on the reasons, but this is my experience: (longwinded)

In most cars, I want the sunroof deleted due to headroom issues--I'm 6'8". In the 2nd gen SRX, however, it is NOT an issue for me.
Vehicles where it would be an issue are the new Camaro and the CTS Coupe and strangely enough the GMT900s.

I had a '04 SRX no sunroof, '07 SRX sunroof and '09 SRX no sunroof. The '09 SRX enforced my belief that the sunroof takes bending rigidity out of the vehicle and also there is more cowl flex for some reason. My '04 and '09 SRXs were much tighter structurally than my '07-quieter too.

The sunroof adds weight in the worst place and therefore there is slightly more roll in corners.

The sunroof makes the interior noisier due to the plastic sun shade.

The current SRX has a sunshade that is not opaque that lets some light in when closed, but also heat.
The 1st gens was solid.

The sunroof can creak(like my '07) and it can also leak in strange places when the drain tubes clog up.

The sunroof's rails take up headroom on the left side of the driver's head and the right side of the passenger's head on both front and rear seats.

A car typically has an airer and taller headliner without a sunroof but recent designs have let light in when the shade is closed. this includes most manufacturer's especially Audi which never allows you to get away from the heat of the sun.

keep in mind that I am very tall so my head is very close to the sunroof and I really feel the heat gain.,

More info than you probably wanted, but I see more negatives for a sunroof than positives.( and what if it breaks out of warranty?)