: Coolant Sludge!!!!!

Caddylover86
08-16-11, 12:37 AM
hey so today i decided to check all my fluids and everything because my car seems to be running hot. i have no temp lights or check engine lights but it seems hotter than usual. well i get to the radiator and open the cap and see a faint milky substance. now my previous experience with this was with my 99 sts that had a head gasket leak. but with that coolant was going into the oil not the other way around. now i do see alot of nasty gunky brown residue on the radiator cap as well as in the reservoir also. im thinking that maybe it just needs a really good flush and im hoping its not the HG. any help or suggestions would be a great help.

MoistCabbage
08-16-11, 12:43 AM
Have you ever used any leak stop products in the cooling system? When is the last time the coolant was changed?

Caddylover86
08-16-11, 12:49 AM
no i havent used anything and ive had the car about 6mo and i havent do a flush or change

MoistCabbage
08-16-11, 12:51 AM
I would change it immediately.

Caddylover86
08-16-11, 01:02 AM
ok now my next question is, is this a holy shit do not pass go type thing or do i a little time?

MoistCabbage
08-16-11, 02:09 AM
Ok, let me rephrase that: I would change it as soon as possible, flush it (in this case a chemical flush would do a world of good) and replace the thermostat.

Your car has an iron block, LOTS of corrosion happens once the coolant looses it's anti corrosive properties. Coolant passages, the heater core, and the radiator can become clogged (both partially and completely), the thermostat can become stuck, or sticky enough to not open completely. Any of those things could be causing your car to run hotter than normal.

outsider
08-16-11, 07:55 AM
my 87 gets some sludge build up in the coolant reservoir too. I had planned on doing the water pump, thermostat, and a good chemical flush this summer but then it got in an accident so I haven't been able to work on it.

I've done chemical flushes on it in the past and that didn't stop the sludge from returning. :(

MoistCabbage
08-16-11, 10:44 AM
Something to consider:

http://autocoolantfilter.com/

outsider
08-16-11, 10:51 AM
that's awesome! anyone use one of those things? are they worth using?

MoistCabbage
08-16-11, 11:57 AM
I've seen 2 in use in iron block engines, they do collect a fair amount of debris quicker than I would have thought.

cadillac_al
08-16-11, 08:17 PM
Do you think it's rust or Bars Leak? Bars Leak is a golden brown sludge. I leave the green anti freeze in my cars for a few years at a time and never seem to get any sludge. In any event it is good to change fluids when you buy a new car.