: tablet.....what 1 would you get??

ghettomike
08-16-11, 12:04 AM
my laptop is getting fairly sluggish, and i think its time for a new pc, but with all the tablets out there i thinking of just getting one and keeping my laptop for the rare occasions i need a full computer.

ive been a blackberry user since the beginning of blackberry time, but i have to say im less than blown away with the os they are running in comparison to the droids and the dreaded iphone. they just do soo much more, really the only reason i got another blackberry is because i really thought the torch was going to be a game changer and they would have more apps for it...but the bottom line is its a business phone, not a fun phone like its competition, and i fear the playbook will be the same. im extremely unimpressed with the crappy games they have for the torch...and dont want to be in the same boat with a tablet...

so with all that being said, as much as i love blackberry (which i really do...just wish they would pick it up) i need to look at other options and im thinking about jumping ship in November when im due for another phone upgrade(every time i get close to going to a different brand i get sucked back into the blackberry).
so what tablet would you get? right now one of the main things i want is to be able to share data by connecting to my phone (unfortunately the torch does not work like a wireless hub like the iphone 4....) so i need to know what is compatible with the torch? what can i connect to the torch to give me data usage? am i stuck with just the playbook?
i highly doubt the ipad will link up with the blackberry, im thinking one of the droids may?

any tablet users and blackberry users opinions would be appreciated.

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 12:07 AM
if i where going to get a tabelt i would totaly go for the Dell Insprion Duo
guess it just looks cool

ppl think ipads are tablets but they really are not atleast i don't consider a ipad to be a tabelt cause well you have to have a computer to use it you have to synch it with ituens and that means it needs to have a computer to hook up to where most tablets these days are as powerfull as your comon desktop

ryannel2003
08-16-11, 12:15 AM
I read something like 70% of iPad users don't ever hook it up to a computer. With the iTunes Store, iBooks, and the forthcoming iCloud there is no reason to hook the iPad up to the computer anymore other than grabbing stored music from your iTunes library, but I believe wireless syncing is coming soon so that is no longer necessary.

I've used several tablets including the iPad, Motorola Xoom and a few others and the iPad had the most seamless experience of all. The Xoom has some teething issues but for the most part seems like a decent tablet. I haven't played around with the PlayBook yet but I think it's a decent looking one; same goes for the new HP TouchPad.

ghettomike
08-16-11, 12:19 AM
ya i saw that 1 on the dell site..it looks more like a ultimate netbook... its running a ms windows os which also means blackberry desktop will work on it..
dont think thats exactly what i was looking for..but it is kinda awesome for a netbook with touchscreen

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 12:22 AM
I read something like 70% of iPad users don't ever hook it up to a computer. With the iTunes Store, iBooks, and the forthcoming iCloud there is no reason to hook the iPad up to the computer anymore other than grabbing stored music from your iTunes library, but I believe wireless syncing is coming soon so that is no longer necessary.

I've used several tablets including the iPad, Motorola Xoom and a few others and the iPad had the most seamless experience of all. The Xoom has some teething issues but for the most part seems like a decent tablet. I haven't played around with the PlayBook yet but I think it's a decent looking one; same goes for the new HP TouchPad.

from my understanding the one thing that you wont be able to do with an Ipad unless you hook it to your computer is update the software

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 12:24 AM
also the Acer Iconia is said to be the fastest most powerfull tabelt around atleast in retail level
not sure if i belvie it but it is said to be more compact and more powerfull then dell latitude hp tm2t wich i love also
so thats another one to look at

ryannel2003
08-16-11, 12:25 AM
iOS 5 is going to introduce over the air updates along with quite a few features that honestly should have been there about a year ago. Apple is late to the game but when they finally do introduce it I'm sure people will be gaga over it.

Stingroo
08-16-11, 12:41 AM
I personally hate tablets. I don't see the point. You type slower, you can't charge devices, you can't (in the iPad's case) read media... why bother? I'd rather get a nice 10-13" laptop.

ghettomike
08-16-11, 12:41 AM
ive actually been considering the iphone 5...partially because it just seems like a easier decision than looking through all the droids...sometimes too many options is a bad thing.
really dont want to give up on blackberry, but there is just soo much they havent done and should have..maybe they need to loose everything and rebuild just like apple did...they only bounced back to life in the mid to late 90s when the school boards adopted the mac to be the main computers used...after that they started blowing up. we still have the old apple computer with a green and black display that takes the old floppy disks..i think they are 5"...the computer has got to be from the 70s.

not sure if i would want a ipad even if i get the iphone...just seems like if i go playbook or ipad im trapped with a locked os.
i would love to get my hands on a playbook to give it a try for a week....

one of the main reasons im considering a tab is just for entertainment...i have a lot of downtime at work, and the tab would help time pass.

ryannel2003
08-16-11, 01:22 AM
I've had three BlackBerries (2 Curve's and a Tour) and it seemed like the newer the model the worse it was. My first Curve 8330 was indestructible and had a great keyboard on it, even though the OS was outdated and used ugly icons. My Tour was ok, but I was bored with it after 2 months and ended up with an iPhone 3GS. My final Curve 8530 was a hand me down from my brother and it was cheap, plasticy and had poor reception. I've been thinking about an iPhone 5 myself but BlackBerry just introduced the new Bold 9930 today with a touchscreen and standard QWERTY keyboard that looks quite interesting. Gonna have to check it out myself as I have an upgrade ready for me in January. Hell I'd be happy with my Droid Incredible if the reception hadn't gotten so bad lately.

Jesda
08-16-11, 01:27 AM
Asus Transformer is by far the best bang for the buck with a slick keyboard dock that has a battery extender built into it (promising 16 hours).

http://www.go2shoppingnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ASUS-Eee-Pad-Transformer-TF101-Keyboard-Docking-Station-71.jpg

I still find the iPad and iPad2 to be far more pleasant to use. I don't fault Asus for that -- Android Honeycomb, though quite powerful, is pretty clunky and a little unintuitive.

I'm also a Blackberry fan and although I was interested in the Playbook, I have yet to see a SINGLE in-store demo that actually works! Usually most of the Android and WebOS displays are screwed up too. The iPad is the only thing that seems to endure the abuse of shoppers and know-nothing retail associates.

I'm inclined to pick the iPad, but the Asus is a strong contender for me. I'm waiting for Lenovo's Thinkpad Tablet to come out. I'm a fan of all things Thinkpad.

Playdrv4me
08-16-11, 06:31 AM
The all around best "computer replacement" Tablet (though I still question the purpose of such a decision) is no doubt the iPad. iOS 5 will make it so that you basically *never* need to connect the iPad to ANYTHING, not even for the initial setup. It is also the easiest to use because the eco-system is the most tightly controlled (read: "no fun" by nerds, I've outgrown this stage) and thus the least intimidating and arguably the most reliable with the best battery life.

That said, Android tablets do have a greater level of functionality out of the box. For example, an Android tablet can play flash videos, has a wider array of low or no cost apps since there is no "vetting" before an app is allowed in the app marketplace, and has a greater amount of technical and creative control over the entire experience, along with expandable memory options and a wide array of ports. For these, the Asus Transformer and Thinkpad Tablet are no doubt the best. As you may notice however, Android tablets tend to suffer from a "jack of all trades, master of none" type philosophy. This is always evident in the silly Android tablet commercials that constantly tout things like screen resolution, number of inputs and outputs, ability to play flash, number of processors etc. They still haven't figured out that the majority of tablet users don't give a damn about any of this shit, they just want a piece of glass that goes on the internet and reads magazine efficiently and with battery life long enough to be left in a suitcase or desk drawer for days or even weeks.

Regardless how you feel about Apple, this is their market right now. The only reason I personally am not a huge iPad fan has more to do with the screen resolution which I do find a touch too low after owning a beautiful high res iPhone 4. Apple will likely remedy this soon though and then all bets will be off. As for niche contenders like the Blackberry Playbook and HP Touchpad, don't bother unless you want to own a product likely to be obsolete within a year's time. They're both pretty machines (I love the size and construction of the Playbook), but woefully under prepared to even be a blip on the Android/iOS radar.

MacMuse
08-16-11, 07:24 AM
I've been an iPad user since the first one came out, and I'm very happy with it. My laptop, my previous main computer, sits unused except for media management (synching devices, backup management and photo editing/management).

It's primarily entertainment for me. Forum access (Tapatalk), news, sports (baseball fans can live in AtBat), lightweight games, all the music you care to stream (Wunderground Radio, Pandora, Shoutcast) and movies from Netflix.

And lately I've made the jump (sorry Jesda) to technical books - we used to call them manuals and they came with the products - for reference at work. So danged convenient and portable.

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 08:45 AM
I personally hate tablets. I don't see the point. You type slower, you can't charge devices, you can't (in the iPad's case) read media... why bother? I'd rather get a nice 10-13" laptop.

there are some tablets that you can do this will
the Inspiron Duo like i mentioned that is a Net book the is convertible into a Tabel its 10 inches it has USB so you can charge and input yes you need a external cd drive to use it but wow those are like 10 dollars these days i think atleast on ebay they are
now going a little bigger into 11 or 12 inch i think you can get the dell latitude wich has a built in drive and all the plugs you could need

my top of the line HP tm2t is one of the most powerfull tabelts with all the options of a desk top and laptop it rocks i sold that in December last year
i get a new system laptop or tabelt system each year i sell the old one and buy what ever is new for that time period

i know if i where going to get just a tablet nothing els not a convertible but just a tablet i would go for the acer iconia

if i wanted a convertile cablet to laptop id go for the Dou

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 08:47 AM
Asus Transformer is by far the best bang for the buck with a slick keyboard dock that has a battery extender built into it (promising 16 hours).

http://www.go2shoppingnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ASUS-Eee-Pad-Transformer-TF101-Keyboard-Docking-Station-71.jpg

I still find the iPad and iPad2 to be far more pleasant to use. I don't fault Asus for that -- Android Honeycomb, though quite powerful, is pretty clunky and a little unintuitive.

I'm also a Blackberry fan and although I was interested in the Playbook, I have yet to see a SINGLE in-store demo that actually works! Usually most of the Android and WebOS displays are screwed up too. The iPad is the only thing that seems to endure the abuse of shoppers and know-nothing retail associates.

I'm inclined to pick the iPad, but the Asus is a strong contender for me. I'm waiting for Lenovo's Thinkpad Tablet to come out. I'm a fan of all things Thinkpad.

yeah but thats just a netbook ? that is not a convertible into a tablet is it

i think the op wants a tablet that what we are tyring to help i belive the OP wants teh touch screan and easy to hold and use and not have to have it on a table top to balance it correctly perhaps somethign he can keep and not have to open up and turn on

vincentm
08-16-11, 09:24 AM
I work in I.T and know the Android OS pretty well, its a linux based system and accomodates itself to hardware very nicely, that said go for the ASUS Eee transformer tablet

vincentm
08-16-11, 09:27 AM
yeah but thats just a netbook ? that is not a convertible into a tablet is it

i think the op wants a tablet that what we are tyring to help i belive the OP wants teh touch screan and easy to hold and use and not have to have it on a table top to balance it correctly perhaps somethign he can keep and not have to open up and turn on

Its a tablet dude....if you can't bother to research it yourself before commenting then don't do so.

brandondeleo
08-16-11, 09:59 AM
Personal opinion: Tablets are stupid because they have mastered the size of USELESSNESS. Too big to be truly portable and too small to be useful. I hate them. BUT if I had to buy one, it would probably be the Asus Transform. My laptop is an Asus, and I am a huge fan of their products, and a friend of mine just got a Transform. She loves it to death. It looks nice, too. The Android platform allows multitasking, too. Try to run more than one or two programs on a Windows netbook, and then you'll see why the Android is nice. Lol

OffThaHorseCEO
08-16-11, 11:11 AM
Im going to give my opinion here. take it for what its worth.

I have the Blackberry PlayBook and like you, i have the Blackberry Torch. I have been a "blackberry fan" since 2007 when i got my first Curve. I sell these things for a living so i have tried just about everything there is to try (got a free moto backflip when it came out, tried it for a week, hated it went back to my 9700. tried a captivate, it was good, but wouldnt stay connected to anything, went back to 9700,got an iphone 4, hated it, sold it quickly, got torch sold 9700, got a dell streak, got another for my gf in white, went back to torch, kept streak for tablet duties, tried htc inspire 4g, tried atrix 4g, tried htc surround wp7, tried samsung infuse. Keep coming back to the torch). I agree the torch was lackluster compared to what it was supposed to be. I sometimes tell myself and my friends and family that the Torch is forgettable. They always remind that thats a good thing. It works, it doesnt require constant fiddling jailbreaking or rooting to do what i do most (calls text email). Im not some poweruser business man either. the android phones would always leave me hanging. Sure they had plenty of games, but i never played them. I would end up with a huge list of games/apps that i would have to scroll through to get to what i wanted.

With that said, RIM is releasing a new Blackberry Torch 4G later this month. I'll be skipping that one and waiting for the new Blackberry BOLD 9900
http://cdn.crackberry.com/files/blackberry-bold-9900/blackberry-bold-9900-hero.jpg
http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-review
(http://crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-review)
The Bold 9900 WILL have the hotspot feature. it WILL have a 1.2ghz dual core processor. I know that doesnt help you now, but if you like the blackberry "experience" this is what you want.

Now back to tablets. Apple of course has this market on lock. It has alot to do with being first to market and brand reputation. Tablets have been around in different forms for a while but once Apple came in with some tasty koolaid the market blew up. This doesnt necessarily mean they are the best.

Of course "the best" is subjective, it depends on what you want, and how you want to use it.

To me, (and just about everyone who has reviewed it) the Blackberry Playbook has better hardware. Dual high definition cameras, dual speakers dual mics hi def screen, non proprietary micro-hdmi out (i use the cable that came with that Atrix i had), 1080 out, non proprietary microUSB for charging, dual core 1.2ghz processor, 1 gig of ram.

the software is also very robust and intuitive. The playbook is very portable since its a 7 inch screen size instead of the more common 10 inch

The pitfall right now is lack of apps. that comes from being new in the market with a brand new OS. If apps are your thing then i wouldnt go PlayBook. On the other hand here are some of the ways i use my PlayBook (not all of these are playbook exclusive):

I keep track of sales and commissions on a spreadsheet, right on my playbook

I create and edit word documents

Built a website from scratch all from the playbook. it doesnt look great but its because its been a while and i was never good at it to begin with.

My GF watches true blood but we dont have HBO, so, i go to icefilms.info go to the tv shows sections and fire up true blood (in 720p), hook up to the TV using hdmi out and bam, happy GF. (i have to use mine even though she has her own playbook)

we also do this for full length movies. the playbook screen itself will display 720, but will output in 1080

flawless video chat of course with the front facing camera to my gfs Playbook

CadillacForums.com in full glory.

pr0n in full glory

http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/home.do - its not the fastest, but as long as i have my torch around, i can pull this website up using blackberry bridge browser. This comes in very handy because my "shed/garage" is way out of wifi range and the torch screen is too small to be usable for this website.

as soon as an email hits my BB i have it on the playbook and can reply from the playbook. no need for an extra data plan as long as the BB is around. same goes for BBM.

Ok so it still may not be for you, but i do definitely recommend giving it a test drive.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-16-11, 11:24 AM
heres a size comparison between the torch (a dummy unit not mine) a dell streak and playbook
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODE2LTAwMjYwLmpwZw.jpg

also, the playbook will be getting an android player which will support android apps later.

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 11:53 AM
Its a tablet dude....if you can't bother to research it yourself before commenting then don't do so.

dude whats up with the atitude man geez don't give yourself a stroke
excusee me but it looks like a netbook it does not look like it disconects from the keyboard and i don't see a clip hinge so i didn't notice anyting so it looks like it sa clip up net book dude chill out

OffThaHorseCEO
08-16-11, 12:10 PM
thats why he said look it up. i dont think it would be in here if it wasnt a tablet

brandondeleo
08-16-11, 12:15 PM
It is really deceiving. When it is apart it is clearly a tablet, but when the keyboard is attached it is so well designed that it looks like a netbook. My friend Joan bought one, and she absolutely loves it. It is great at multitasking, and the keyboard is extremely convenient. Asus makes great computers, and the Transform is a really cool little piece of equipment. I recommend. ;)

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 12:20 PM
thats why he said look it up. i dont think it would be in here if it wasnt a tablet

you never know thought someone was trying to say get a netbook instead of a tablet heack some in here are saying get blackberry wich is a phone maybe i miss understood sorry

OffThaHorseCEO
08-16-11, 12:26 PM
you never know thought someone was trying to say get a netbook instead of a tablet heack some in here are saying get blackberry wich is a phone maybe i miss understood sorry

i was addressing his intent to "jump ship" by showing him the new blackberry phone, also addressing his tablet question by "talking" about the blackberry tablet. no need to apologize

EcSTSatic
08-16-11, 01:05 PM
Whichever gadget(s) you decide to get, don't spend a lot of money, it will be obsolete in a year or so.:rolleyes:

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 01:10 PM
Whichever gadget(s) you decide to get, don't spend a lot of money, it will be obsolete in a year or so.:rolleyes:

even whent hey are used they still manage to bring good money
what im saying is if you buy a great one now plan on keeping it for a year then selling it
i bought my HP t2mt last year in May for 1350 i sold it this year in Jun for 1100 yeah 250 less then i paid but still was able to get a great one this year that is not obsolete
i also sold my Alienware Laptop in July i bought it in Jan of last year so it was 17 months old i paid like 1500 sold it for just a few less then i paid so you could always buy and then sell a year latter to get the new updated model

The-Dullahan
08-16-11, 01:10 PM
http://liology.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/rosetta-stone.jpeg

gary88
08-16-11, 01:13 PM
Tablets are most likely going to replace laptops in the not-too-distant future. Surely laptops won't go away forever and you'll still be able to buy them (I wouldn't want to run Photoshop on a tablet), but for the majority of people who just browse the web/email/look at pictures I can see tablets becoming the norm eventually.

http://www.andzol.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/gartner-hypecycle.jpg

vincentm
08-16-11, 01:24 PM
dude whats up with the atitude man geez don't give yourself a stroke
excusee me but it looks like a netbook it does not look like it disconects from the keyboard and i don't see a clip hinge so i didn't notice anyting so it looks like it sa clip up net book dude chill out

Straight forward comment on what you posted (read it again, then read it again)

donniesd
08-16-11, 03:11 PM
I have a moto xoom and love it. and have a nice ram mount in my sts.

ghettomike
08-16-11, 03:28 PM
the ASUS transformer is sold without the keyboard and with the keyboard..from what ive just read on it it is a tablet with a keyboard option which adds usb and s couple other ports as well as a longer battery life.

it looks like its the best bang for the buck, i just dont like that it only has usb with the keyboard...i probably wouldnt buy the keyboard.
the galaxy tab seems to get good reviews as well.
there is just sooo much out there and i am lost...ive also read that the android systems dont have a stable browser...it crashes a lot apparently.
i just wish the playbook was more of a toy and less of a business tab....ive found a few on private sale for $300-350 new...one is being sold because he won it and already has 1.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-16-11, 03:44 PM
the ASUS transformer is sold without the keyboard and with the keyboard..from what ive just read on it it is a tablet with a keyboard option which adds usb and s couple other ports as well as a longer battery life.

it looks like its the best bang for the buck, i just dont like that it only has usb with the keyboard...i probably wouldnt buy the keyboard.
the galaxy tab seems to get good reviews as well.
there is just sooo much out there and i am lost...ive also read that the android systems dont have a stable browser...it crashes a lot apparently.
i just wish the playbook was more of a toy and less of a business tab....ive found a few on private sale for $300-350 new...one is being sold because he won it and already has 1.

what makes it less of a toy?

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 05:38 PM
Straight forward comment on what you posted (read it again, then read it again)

im not trying to get into an argument here but if you read my post you will see i put a question Mark ? in it wich was asking not saying i was asking if i was right or if i had it right when i posted a ? dude chill

CIWS
08-16-11, 05:50 PM

I've had mine for about 3 months and so far so good. I got the 10in tablet first (32gig), and then the docking station about a month or so ago. Also added a 32gig MicroSD to it. Like you said, best bang for the buck.

http://www.ciws.net/asustablet.jpg

Stingroo
08-16-11, 06:08 PM
C, where did you get your 32gb MicroSD and how much?

I'm looking for a decent 16gig for a good price. Hard to do, apparently?

CIWS
08-16-11, 06:21 PM
It was on sale at Fry's, a 32gig Class 10 MicroSD for 59.99

Check here.

http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost/Hard+Drives+&+Memory/Memory/Flash+Media/Micro+SDHC/

Stingroo
08-16-11, 07:09 PM
Hmmm... an HP class4 is $18.

What's the differences between the classes anyway? Something about transfer rates, maybe?

OffThaHorseCEO
08-16-11, 07:18 PM
gigs per sec transfer rate

ghettomike
08-16-11, 08:12 PM
Just went to bestbuy...the ipads were all broken, so I couldn't play with them.
They don't have the asus transformer
The moto xoom looked like a good one, I also liked the galaxy tab...I don't need a big 1. I think the 7" may do.
I tried the blackberry playbook...wasn't blown away, but wasn't impressed...1 of the demos had a cracked screen...

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 09:05 PM
you can pick them up preaty cheap at Micro Center they have there own brand SD and Micro SD cards these days

Playdrv4me
08-17-11, 05:21 AM
Micro Center is the most awesome computer chain in the country when it comes to cheap peripherals, cables, memory cards, and other items you wouldn't dream of finding at any Best Buy. Texas has Altex Electronics too, but Micro Center is far better overall, with decent computer and tablet deals to boot (their HDTV prices tend to suck). Too bad there's only about 23 Micro Centers for the whole damn country, but that's probably why they're also still in business.

JimmyH
08-17-11, 05:59 PM

:yeah:

Netbooks are so much more useful and comparably priced. If you are looking at 3G/4G, just about every netbook available has them optional. And typically, if you sign up for a 2-yr plan (which you would have to do also on a 3G/4G tablet) they discount the cost of the adapter.

If you are looking for a netbook that can do it all, even gaming, the alienware m11x has the performance to beat just about any 15" laptop. I typically get about 6 hours on mine. With light usage, I can go several days without plugging it in.

the asus transformer looks cool (I really like the name :D) but I don't see the point. With the dock, it's like a performance deprived netbook. And there is not much point in having the dock if you aren't going to carry around with you anyway.

Playdrv4me
08-18-11, 02:07 AM
The Sandy Bridge M11x and Macbook Air 11 inch (if you don't plan to use it for gaming), are some of the best machines in the ultra portable category. And for all the technology you get, it's pretty crazy when you consider that two of these tablets would basically pay for either of these far more useful machines.

brandondeleo
08-18-11, 02:49 AM
The MacBook Air 11" is so overpriced it makes me want to vomit. But, then again, that goes for all Mac computers.

Playdrv4me
08-18-11, 03:08 AM
The MacBook Air 11" is so overpriced it makes me want to vomit. But, then again, that goes for all Mac computers.

Wrong, and Wrong. This is a popular stance that many like to take before looking into the actual meat and potatoes of Mac hardware. Sure, like any company, they have some things that ARE padded with tons of profit (Mac Mini, 17 inch MacBook Pro, ANY accessories etc.), but some of the core product is every bit the value *EQUIVALENT* PC hardware would be.

And that is the key. People love to compare the 11 inch Macbook Air with Windows *Netbooks*. Well, last time I checked, you couldn't get ANY 400.00 netbook with a SANDY BRIDGE Core i Series ultra low voltage processor, an SSD, a BACKLIT keyboard and an extruded aluminum unibody case. Bottom line, when you compare apples to apples (no pun intended), the equivalent Wintel machines are at or *above* the Air's price point... Thinkpad X1... 1399, Samsung C9 Series... 1599, Sony Vaio Z... 1969.00 to upwards of $3000.00... And so on and so forth. The entry Air config on Best Buy's website is 949, with the step up 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD model being 1139. Undercutting *all* of those sex appeal ultra portables I just listed.

The best bang for the buck Windows machines in a category close to the boutique ultra-thins would be the Thinkpad X220 and the aforementioned Alienware M11x. However, configuring either of those machines the way I would want them delivered, puts me right around the 1k mark. I could also get a bargain priced Core i5 laptop with marginal build quality, a low res screen and basic features for anywhere from 4-600.00, but it would be in an entirely different league from all the machines listed above.

Now let's take a look at a couple of other Apple products... Consider that Dell sells the fantastic U2711 27 inch 2560x1440 LCD monitor for about $1000.00 on their website. Now consider that Apple takes this high quality IPS glass (LCD) from LG, *adds* LED backlighting sorely lacking in the Dell version, *and* throws in an ENTIRE Core i5 computer all for about 650.00 more than Dell charges for JUST the monitor alone.. Don't want the computer? Apple sells their version of the standalone LCD for 999 and again, includes LED back lighting, edge to edge glass, and a pair of decent speakers for the exact same price Dell charges for the older design. There are dozens upon dozens of scenarios where I can pit equivalent Wintel hardware up to an Apple product and find the value proposition in the Apple product. The difference is that Apple doesn't PLAY in the "budget" spaces of things like traditional Netbooks and Atom powered net tops. They sell higher end product as their ONLY product.

Not to change the subject off tablets (and Apple's pricing model excels there too, with the unfortunate side effect of fixed storage sizes), but this is a myth I frequently find myself debunking. I am no Apple apologist by any means either, there is plenty of over hyped and over priced Apple product, but there's a lot that isn't. In fact, I hate this, because it irks the hell out of me to continue handing over dollar bills to a company with more money than Exxon.

However, Just because any particular individual doesn't *want* to spend 1000.00 on a laptop, doesn't mean that Apple's 1000.00 laptop is priced out of line with any other manufacturers 1000.00 laptop in the same category. If I wanted a new Cadillac, I wouldn't call it over priced because a car sized similarly to a Malibu costs 15000.00 more. This is not to even mention the tremendous value retention of Mac hardware when you want to re-sell it and upgrade.

Jesda
08-18-11, 03:16 AM
I buy a cheap HP and simply replace it when it dies after 5-10 days. At $299 a pop my plan is flawless.

Suck on that, Apple.

Playdrv4me
08-18-11, 03:20 AM
I buy a cheap HP and simply replace it when it dies after 5-10 days. At $299 a pop my plan is flawless.

Suck on that, Apple.

Oops, at first I read "5-10 years" and thought of this...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/489825d1312990213-should-i-buy-rolex-sub-16610-first-watch-notsureifserious_re_oops_he_tripped_and_fell-s469x304-179758.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
08-18-11, 10:24 AM
Wrong, and Wrong. This is a popular stance that many like to take before looking into the actual meat and potatoes of Mac hardware. Sure, like any company, they have some things that ARE padded with tons of profit (Mac Mini, 17 inch MacBook Pro, ANY accessories etc.), but some of the core product is every bit the value *EQUIVALENT* PC hardware would be.

And that is the key. People love to compare the 11 inch Macbook Air with Windows *Netbooks*. Well, last time I checked, you couldn't get ANY 400.00 netbook with a SANDY BRIDGE Core i Series ultra low voltage processor, an SSD, a BACKLIT keyboard and an extruded aluminum unibody case. Bottom line, when you compare apples to apples (no pun intended), the equivalent Wintel machines are at or *above* the Air's price point... Thinkpad X1... 1399, Samsung C9 Series... 1599, Sony Vaio Z... 1969.00 to upwards of $3000.00... And so on and so forth. The entry Air config on Best Buy's website is 949, with the step up 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD model being 1139. Undercutting *all* of those sex appeal ultra portables I just listed.

The best bang for the buck Windows machines in a category close to the boutique ultra-thins would be the Thinkpad X220 and the aforementioned Alienware M11x. However, configuring either of those machines the way I would want them delivered, puts me right around the 1k mark. I could also get a bargain priced Core i5 laptop with marginal build quality, a low res screen and basic features for anywhere from 4-600.00, but it would be in an entirely different league from all the machines listed above.

Now let's take a look at a couple of other Apple products... Consider that Dell sells the fantastic U2711 27 inch 2560x1440 LCD monitor for about $1000.00 on their website. Now consider that Apple takes this high quality IPS glass (LCD) from LG, *adds* LED backlighting sorely lacking in the Dell version, *and* throws in an ENTIRE Core i5 computer all for about 650.00 more than Dell charges for JUST the monitor alone.. Don't want the computer? Apple sells their version of the standalone LCD for 999 and again, includes LED back lighting, edge to edge glass, and a pair of decent speakers for the exact same price Dell charges for the older design. There are dozens upon dozens of scenarios where I can pit equivalent Wintel hardware up to an Apple product and find the value proposition in the Apple product. The difference is that Apple doesn't PLAY in the "budget" spaces of things like traditional Netbooks and Atom powered net tops. They sell higher end product as their ONLY product.

Not to change the subject off tablets (and Apple's pricing model excels there too, with the unfortunate side effect of fixed storage sizes), but this is a myth I frequently find myself debunking. I am no Apple apologist by any means either, there is plenty of over hyped and over priced Apple product, but there's a lot that isn't. In fact, I hate this, because it irks the hell out of me to continue handing over dollar bills to a company with more money than Exxon.

However, Just because any particular individual doesn't *want* to spend 1000.00 on a laptop, doesn't mean that Apple's 1000.00 laptop is priced out of line with any other manufacturers 1000.00 laptop in the same category. If I wanted a new Cadillac, I wouldn't call it over priced because a car sized similarly to a Malibu costs 15000.00 more. This is not to even mention the tremendous value retention of Mac hardware when you want to re-sell it and upgrade.

thats all good and well but. most of the people that buy apple products buy it because
1) its an apple product
2) its expensive
3) its pretty

most of apples customers think sandy bridge is what you walk on at the beach

had a couple come into my store once with that knowitall apple attitude. wanted to upgrade to the "i4g". I went to pull the account up and saw that the security timer had logged me out. so i told them give me a sec i need to log back in, might take just a minute to go through the process. They said, "oh you should switch to macs, they run alot faster, youd be signed in in no time." I said "macs dont support the software we use to run our business." they insisted, "i bet they do!" i replied "not without running windows". They again insisted claiming EVERYTHING is available on a mac.

i dropped the issue and made the sale instead of getting into a pissing contest. when they left i pulled up system requirements for our software. no mention of mac, also, REQUIRES IE, will NOT run on chrome safari etc etc

Jesda
08-18-11, 12:28 PM
I've had mine for about 3 months and so far so good. I got the 10in tablet first (32gig), and then the docking station about a month or so ago. Also added a 32gig MicroSD to it. Like you said, best bang for the buck.

[IMG]http://www.ciws.net/asustablet.jpg[/IG]

How does Android handle web forms? I want to buy one for working with inventory, and my software is entirely HTML-based.

For example, can I easily hit tab and move down to the next field? Can I tab down to a pull-down list and start typing the first letter of the item I want?

Does the trackpad actually show a mouse pointer?

vincentm
08-18-11, 12:39 PM
thats all good and well but. most of the people that buy apple products buy it because
1) its an apple product
2) its expensive
3) its pretty

most of apples customers think sandy bridge is what you walk on at the beach

had a couple come into my store once with that knowitall apple attitude. wanted to upgrade to the "i4g". I went to pull the account up and saw that the security timer had logged me out. so i told them give me a sec i need to log back in, might take just a minute to go through the process. They said, "oh you should switch to macs, they run alot faster, youd be signed in in no time." I said "macs dont support the software we use to run our business." they insisted, "i bet they do!" i replied "not without running windows". They again insisted claiming EVERYTHING is available on a mac.

i dropped the issue and made the sale instead of getting into a pissing contest. when they left i pulled up system requirements for our software. no mention of mac, also, REQUIRES IE, will NOT run on chrome safari etc etc

I run into these folks all the time working the help desk at my job, when i go to fix their PC i get hit with "oh my mac at home doesn't give me these issues"

My reply is

"uh, because it's not on a network, and its not running a medical charting software"

Jesda
08-18-11, 12:51 PM
1) its an apple product
2) its expensive
3) its pretty

And most people buy Acer, Gateway, Compaq, HP, etc because they're meth addicts on a budget.

Its earelephant!

RippyPartsDept
08-18-11, 12:57 PM
Its earelephant!

http://www.lionden.com/graphics/AP/ElephantEarBack.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
08-18-11, 01:06 PM
And most people buy Acer, Gateway, Compaq, HP, etc because they're meth addicts on a budget.

Its earelephant!

WTH? that doesnt even make sense.

is that gonna be a new example in those stupid iphone commercials?
"if you dont have an iphone, your a methhead on a budget"

mberisha
08-18-11, 02:50 PM

Yup....that's the same thing I thought.....I never saw a meth head in Missouri w/a Mac.....I think you are onto something.....

OffThaHorseCEO
08-18-11, 03:08 PM
oh yea i forgot.

if anyone doesnt like apple products its only because they cant afford it. forget the fact that i buy sell trade iphones like trading cards. i would love to get my hands on one, but you cant buy iphones with food stamps so i guess im just out of luck, man i hate being poor.

gary88
08-18-11, 03:10 PM
^^ I think you need to re-calibrate your internet-sarcasm-detection meter.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-18-11, 03:29 PM
theres an app for that

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 03:53 PM
I read here somewhere something about the M11x Alienware ?
no thats not a netbook thats a screw up that dell made
i remember when it first rumored to come out abunch of us over on laptop Forums
loughed about it and joked
and none of us got it thats for sure
that is probalby the worst idea dell ever had in my apinion
take an 11 inch screen and put it on a gaming laptop what the heck is up with that ?
might as well use your Android for gaming or something
and if you do want the M11x don't unless your going to be in high tech desining and gaming

JimmyH
08-18-11, 04:14 PM
The best bang for the buck Windows machines in a category close to the boutique ultra-thins would be the Thinkpad X220 and the aforementioned Alienware M11x.

The m11x is not ultra-thin. It's as thick as a typical 15" notebook (and just as powerful :D)

The best way to buy any alienware machine is wait until the replacement is released. They will cut the price of the current model in half to get rid of the now obsolete chassis. Got my core2 m11x with 4gb for $700, and that included a $200 3G card (that i couldn't get a rebate on because I already have the service :( )

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 04:20 PM
no so sure they cut them that much
i paid around 2300 i think for one of my M15x models with my Employee discount when i worked at HP yeah i know dell discount whyll working at HP lol
well it was part of the discount program LMAO
but still i think it was prices at 2940 if i did not get a diso****
i sold that for half of what i paid
just last month

now i also bought a base M15x for my Brother when they first came out with the I-7 in it in end of summer early fall 2009
i paid 1600 for it then
they dont make the M15x anymore but i saw it a few weeks before they discontinued it and they where still selling them for 1500 1600
so they wont come down that big

JimmyH
08-18-11, 04:29 PM
When I bought it, they were selling the core2 for $599, and the corei for $999. They inexplicable dropped another $100 out of nowhere, so I pulled the trigger. Dell will do one-day deals. You have to watch for them or be subscribed to their email list.

don't know about my m15x as I bought the i7 shortly after they offered it. I did get a free gpu upgrade when I bought mine though.

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 04:36 PM
when i got both fo the M15s i got a 75 dollar Mail in Dell Gift card for Upgrading to the GTX260 wich i was going to do anyways so thats helped out good

yup they do have 1 day deals and some of them are really great
and Be carfull don't let black friday deals at dell trick you they actualy come out with even better deals a few days to a week after black friday lol
yeah im on the mailer for them they send so much crap i get sick of it at times

but i did get a great deal just last month i bought the New 17R Inspron with the switchable lid i got a 750GB hard drive 6 gigs of DDR3-1333 the I7 Procesor Dedicated GPU 4 year full warranyt in home and acidental damage and i only paid 749 for it after taxes
now thats a great deal
if i wher to build that system up today on dell i would spend atleast 1200 on it i bet
i also sold one stick of rma the 2 gig on ebay for 20 bucks
went to Miccrocenter purchased a 4gig for 42 dollars so now there is 8 gigs
i sold the 750HD scorpion Black 7200rpm for 100 dollars then i went to Microcenter got one of there own private label SSD drives for 248 it was a 160 gig on sale so im all in all preaty darn happy

oh and also always order from dell over the phojne never yous the web to do it
first build up the system you want decide what options you want then after you have that doen then call them
tell the phone rep what you want and then when you already know what the final price is say ok im going to have to think about it its more then i really want to spend they say well you could take the warranty down to 2 years and save or you can get 4 gigs instead of 6
always say no i just have to think if i want to spend this much on this
i do it all the time and before i get off the phone and hang up they always offer to put me on hold see what they can do then they come back with anywhere form 5% to 15% less

vincentm
08-18-11, 04:36 PM
Falcon northwest laptops or voodoo laptops > Dellienware

Playdrv4me
08-18-11, 05:02 PM
The m11x is not ultra-thin. It's as thick as a typical 15" notebook (and just as powerful :D)

The best way to buy any alienware machine is wait until the replacement is released. They will cut the price of the current model in half to get rid of the now obsolete chassis. Got my core2 m11x with 4gb for $700, and that included a $200 3G card (that i couldn't get a rebate on because I already have the service :( )

It's as close to an ultra thin as an Alienware will ever get. And the 11 inch screen size DOES make it much more portable. Which is why it was on my list when I was looking at non ridiculously sized laptops.

JimmyH
08-18-11, 05:15 PM
It is very portable. It's pretty light considering it has a monster 8 cell battery tucked inside. That's the reason, btw, it gets decent battery life. No optical drive, but I never even use the optical drives in my other laptops. I always use my external dvd-rw. Even through usb, it's twice as fast as laptop drives.

I am currently looking to upgrade the HD5850 gpu in my m15x to a GTX460 or something. I am tired of ati graphics.

Jesda
08-18-11, 05:24 PM
Seems like gamers these days just download from Steam or "the bay with the pirates in it"

I'm a Thinkpad man for life. Since my first lappy in 1996, I've always preferred a Thinkpad on the the road and a Mac at home.

JimmyH
08-18-11, 06:05 PM
Thinkpads get it done. I had two of them.

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 06:18 PM
last time i had a thinkpad was when ibm was bought by livonia or waht is the other way around ? i forget

JimmyH
08-18-11, 06:34 PM
lenovo

livonia is a city in Michigan

OffThaHorseCEO
08-18-11, 06:36 PM
im surprised it was actually something

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 06:44 PM
lenovo

yup thats right i had it right but had it wrong at the same time and yes i know livonia is in Mi lol i had one of my best New Years Eves at the Mariott there they got this resturant called sweet loraines i think thats the name and me and the guys got kicked out lol

RippyPartsDept
08-18-11, 10:49 PM
lenovo bought the home pc arm of ibm

that's all they bought... so all the business stuff that ibm does is still ibm... they just sold the consumer side of their hardware business

Playdrv4me
08-18-11, 11:16 PM
And HP, as of today, is attempting to do the exact same thing. The Touchpad is dead (just as I predicted), WebOS is being put on the shelf, and all home and small office computing (except printers) is officially "on the market". HP essentially wants to get out of the consumer market.

Stingroo
08-18-11, 11:28 PM
But yo dawg, then we no can haz our Beats! *shakes head*

mberisha
08-19-11, 03:17 AM
lenovo

....and a city in New York.....

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 04:09 AM
^and it sounds like it could be a country in eastern Europe as well. Haha
Acer is an extremely underrated brand. Asus is one hell of a brand, too. Apple products are for those who like Apple products, but they are not for me whatsoever.

ThumperPup
08-19-11, 08:34 AM
And HP, as of today, is attempting to do the exact same thing. The Touchpad is dead (just as I predicted), WebOS is being put on the shelf, and all home and small office computing (except printers) is officially "on the market". HP essentially wants to get out of the consumer market.

i think it was that HP was rated best Laptop Builder in the early 2000s i know if you had asked me in 2001 what laptop i would buy most likely woudl haves Said HP
now i wont buy crud from HP they bought EDS and a year latter HP layed me off screw them