: Thinking of selling my STS, Dealer offered $15k whats your throughts?

tomm
08-15-11, 11:38 PM
Ok, Kept my 2005 because I needed it to test each STS Lockpick we made but we are just about done with them. Maybe a few more batches and I am done with them.

My STS is a 2005 with every available option... Original Retail $67k and I have just under 50k miles. Car is Black on Black with the factory 18" wheels, 1SG package with every option, V8, AWD, HUD, ACC, Roof, HID's, Spoiler, Etc. Only non Factory option was the E&G Chrome mesh grill that I added.

Should I try to sell outright or is the dealer offer at $15k decent today?

nathanjax
08-16-11, 12:27 AM
Around here, that's not a bad price. depends on how hard-up you are on needing to getting rid of it, and what you want. I'd always try to outright sell it first on Craigslist or something, then if all else fails, trade it in.

02603sec
08-16-11, 08:57 AM
$15 is a lot for a direct sale of the car. IF you're trading, that is a different game.

chagrin falls
08-16-11, 10:21 PM
Traded an 06 exactly as yours with only 16k miles last July on a 2010 CTS. The Cadillac dealer gave me $18.5k. I would take the money and run. Since the STS is discontinued prices will continue to fall on both the wholesale and retail market.

EChas3
08-16-11, 10:40 PM
$15 is a lot for a direct sale of the car. IF you're trading, that is a different game.

^^^ Very true... It can get hard to value just one part of a trade because a lot of factors may be gidden. The dealer may already have a buyer; you never know for sure what the dealer has in the car he is selling; is his floor-plan loan due, etc.

Tomm - I don't doubt the car is in excellent condition but around here $15k wouldn't give a dealer enough profit to be worth his time. In SE Wisconsin, a 2005 1SG would usually sell for less than that. If it's time for a change, now may be a good time.

1BadCadSTS
08-17-11, 10:40 AM
If I hadnt of picked up mine almost 2 years ago Id of jumped on yours.

tomm
08-17-11, 10:41 AM
^^^ Very true... It can get hard to value just one part of a trade because a lot of factors may be gidden. The dealer may already have a buyer; you never know for sure what the dealer has in the car he is selling; is his floor-plan loan due, etc.

Tomm - I don't doubt the car is in excellent condition but around here $15k wouldn't give a dealer enough profit to be worth his time. In SE Wisconsin, a 2005 1SG would usually sell for less than that. If it's time for a change, now may be a good time.

There is a lot of difference from a base 1SG from one that is loaded with every option. The MSRP can be $10k different. Finding one with ACC, HUD, V8, NAV, ROOF, Etc. is rare (Took me 4 months to find it when I bought it). Dealer said they will easily sell it for $18k, It is in Excellent condition and just off Certified Warranty. This is the first car that I have owned that has never had any service except oil changes and normal maintenance. Wish I could say the same for my SRX which is always having issues.

KRSTS
08-17-11, 10:57 AM
If he will give you $15K, I would say go for it. I have seen 2005's go for under $10K, albeit with higher mileage. While there may be a considerable difference in MSRP between a base STS and a loaded one, at seven years old it makes very little difference in the marketplace. What makes a difference is condition and mileage.

orange57
08-17-11, 08:31 PM
I would think you could get more for it. Yours sounds like a steal at $15K. I just paid $14 for a 2005 w/ 60K miles and a certified warranty. But it isn't fully loaded the way you describe yours. Maybe Phoenix is just a higher priced market then where you are at.

hooyerd
08-18-11, 12:50 AM
WOW i would think more also. I am basing this solely on what my insurance company just totalled mine for. 2005 STS V6 2WD 62200 miles. Mostly everything but no adaptive cruise or auto dimming bright lights. I got a little water in the car that took out the Yaw rate sensor under the passenger seat and the insurance company just totalled it a couple weeks ago. Payoff to me if they kept it was $16,100 after all the goofy charges and my deductable. As it was the salvage value was 4,600. I kept the car, put an 80 dollar used yaw sensor in, gutted and dried everything on my own, and the insurance company gave me a check for 11,500 and the car is perfect as ever to me. 15k seems low to me. Go have a tree fall on it and crush it and the insurance company will give you more

EChas3
08-19-11, 12:01 AM
Maybe the market is different around here. There isn't much price spread between differently equipped STS's. Price differences are generally more related to condition, model year & mileage. Cadillacs are pretty popular here and a high proportion are higher trim levels. The dealer that sold us our STS's had 8 one their lot; 2 loaded 1SG's (w' ACC) last time I cruised their lot. The two V6's appeared to be 1SC's.

SE Wisconsin is fairly affluant (excepting the poorer neighborhoods of Milwaukee). We have another Cadillac dealer less than 30 minutes away. Even after the the dealer-downsizing, there are two more not much farther away. Maybe the large supply of high-trim-level STS's around here devalues them a bit. That and the assumed economy of a V6 may account for my observations.

turnne
08-21-11, 08:34 AM
If he will give you $15K, I would say go for it. I have seen 2005's go for under $10K, albeit with higher mileage. While there may be a considerable difference in MSRP between a base STS and a loaded one, at seven years old it makes very little difference in the marketplace. What makes a difference is condition and mileage.

Agreed

I paid $18750 for the same car he is describing( with the additional white diamond paint option) two years ago...with 54K ( just out of factory warranty) from a Cadillac dealer

I would take that $15K and run.......the Cadillac dealers can't get that price on a retail level in the markets I frequent

Warren

Greg00coupe
08-21-11, 11:39 AM
Assuming its a straight buy no trade take it and run!!!!!!