: Fleetwood 1996

Dieslow
08-15-11, 01:41 PM
Hey guys !! Been a while since I last came here ! I just bought a Fleetwood 1996 with 130 000 KM on it and paid 1500$ by phone. The car is quite far from where I'm located. The salesman said that everything was fine and the car was running well but do you have an advice before I pay for it ? I will do 2hours to go get it tonight but is there anything I should check before I leave with it to make sure I'll get home and I'm not talking about the gas ! I really missed those forums and happy to be back with a new ride to share with you !

Thanks !

outsider
08-15-11, 02:38 PM
just check the normal things you would check before buying a car...

rust, electronics all functioning, no trouble codes, etc etc...

drmenard
08-15-11, 04:43 PM
That sounds like low mileage, a great deal if its not rusted or dented up..I would make sure all the fluids are full, tires are good and nothing leaking...

Cadillacboy
08-15-11, 05:18 PM
That sounds promising and good deal , I trust you will be happy with your Fleetwood

thefleetwoodguy
08-15-11, 05:30 PM
check brake lines under the drivers side b pillar
common to have them blow out there
sounds like a great deal!...good luck
www.thefleetwoodguy.com

MoistCabbage
08-15-11, 05:51 PM
Too late now, but I would have had a dealership or local shop inspect the car before I paid, if I couldn't see the car in person first.

Dieslow
08-16-11, 12:30 AM
Like you said a little too late ! I just came back with the car. Haven't played with it too much ... checked a little bit and saw a little oil leaking from engine oil pan and tranny oil pan. Fluids looked good. No traces or smell of coolant anywhere. So far, it looks good. In m opinion the tranny shifts a little too hard for a Caddy but it's just my opinion and never drove another Fleetwood so maybe they're all the same ! I'll check further tomorrow !! By the way my 2 hours ride was like floating around the highway ! Had a 94 and a 96 Deville and they are not the same car at all !!

Thanks for your help guys !

pompste
08-16-11, 07:28 AM
Congrats! Post some pics of your land yacht when you can.
The '93-'96 Fleets weigh about 500 pounds or so more than the Devilles of that era and have bigger tires,which explains the more floatier ride.Road hugging weight rules!

jayoldschool
08-16-11, 12:01 PM
Run the VIN on the compnine tool and you can see all your RPOs.

HUF
08-16-11, 07:39 PM
Like you said a little too late ! I just came back with the car. Haven't played with it too much ... checked a little bit and saw a little oil leaking from engine oil pan and tranny oil pan. Fluids looked good. No traces or smell of coolant anywhere. So far, it looks good. In m opinion the tranny shifts a little too hard for a Caddy but it's just my opinion and never drove another Fleetwood so maybe they're all the same ! I'll check further tomorrow !! By the way my 2 hours ride was like floating around the highway ! Had a 94 and a 96 Deville and they are not the same car at all !!

Thanks for your help guys !The shifts are a tiny bit more noticeable in my 95 Fleetwood compared to 91 Seville.

Dieslow
08-16-11, 09:18 PM
The shifts are a tiny bit more noticeable in my 95 Fleetwood compared to 91 Seville.

Glad to hear it ... When I accelerate a little faster the changes are smoother. Tomorrow I will try to change transmission and differential fluid to see if it changes anything. I will let you know the results. I will post pics too at the same time !

HUF
08-16-11, 09:20 PM
Glad to hear it ... When I accelerate a little faster the changes are smoother. Tomorrow I will try to change transmission and differential fluid to see if it changes anything. I will let you know the results. I will post pics too at the same time !
If ATF looks and smells right, I would not bother.

Dieslow
08-16-11, 09:23 PM
If ATF looks and smells right, I would not bother.

What about differential and transfer case oil ?? I'm pretty sure the car has been well taken care of but just to make sure don't you think it would be better to change everything ? I just want to make sure everything is fine because people say that those cars are like tanks if it is well maintained. Thanks for your time !

HUF
08-16-11, 09:28 PM
What about differential and transfer case oil ?? I'm pretty sure the car has been well taken care of but just to make sure don't you think it would be better to change everything ? I just want to make sure everything is fine because people say that those cars are like tanks if it is well maintained. Thanks for your time !
Some people would recommend replacing the differential gasket with an improved design. Ask the member whose username is NODITH.

As for ATF, if you just drop the pan and replace the filter, that should be fine. Just avoid those flushing machines. They may introduce someone else's transmission debris in your perfectly fine transmission, if the person who operates the machine does not care to replace filters, etc.