: New V-Fan ordering a Wagon!!!

farleywilbur
08-15-11, 11:00 AM
Thanks to all of you for creating an incredible resource for someone considering one of these amazing vehicles!

I am negotiating with two dealers on factory ordering a 2012 V-Wagon and this is what I told them I want:

2012 CTS-V Wagon
White diamond tricoat
Black interior
Black satin graphite wheels/yellow brake callipers
6 speed AUTO
NO Recaro seats
NO sunroof

No Recaros because I am a big guy (6'3" and 300 lbs) and no sunroof just to get a little more headroom.

I've been tossing and turning over colour but am loving the white/black rim combo. I was thinking about the stick but at the end of the day will go with auto just because my wife might have to drive it occasionally and I hit a lot of lights on my commute and I dont want to be rowing all the way to work.

I hope to get an order in over the next couple of days and get this baby built and delivered by October so I can enjoy it for a while before a hard Canadian winter. I am hoping to get the factory rebate on the 2011 models applied to this order on a 2012 but not sure yet. There is Employee Pricing until the end of August.

I am going to have to buy some winter rims and tires and did a little shopping on tirerack.com and see I will have to drop about $3k for a decent set. Any help on what others are using in the winter would be much appreciated.

Tuna
08-15-11, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a plan. Hope you get what you want.

garfin
08-15-11, 11:20 AM
Thanks to all of you for creating an incredible resource for someone considering one of these amazing vehicles!

I am negotiating with two dealers on factory ordering a 2012 V-Wagon and this is what I told them I want:

2012 CTS-V Wagon
White diamond tricoat
Black interior
Black satin graphite wheels/yellow brake callipers
6 speed AUTO
NO Recaro seats
NO sunroof

No Recaros because I am a big guy (6'3" and 300 lbs) and no sunroof just to get a little more headroom.

I've been tossing and turning over colour but am loving the white/black rim combo. I was thinking about the stick but at the end of the day will go with auto just because my wife might have to drive it occasionally and I hit a lot of lights on my commute and I dont want to be rowing all the way to work.

I hope to get an order in over the next couple of days and get this baby built and delivered by October so I can enjoy it for a while before a hard Canadian winter. I am hoping to get the factory rebate on the 2011 models applied to this order on a 2012 but not sure yet. There is Employee Pricing until the end of August.

I am going to have to buy some winter rims and tires and did a little shopping on tirerack.com and see I will have to drop about $3k for a decent set. Any help on what others are using in the winter would be much appreciated.

Congrats on your decision to order the Vagon! Sounds like a great combo! I'm in Toronto and ordered a set of Pirelli Sotto Zero 240s from TireRack who drop shipped them right to my installer. These are a high-performance snow/ice/cold weather tire that allows the car to retain virtually all of its great handling characteristics in cold temps. I also had no problems with them at all in snow. I'm very pleased with these tires. I ordered them in stock sizes, so that I could have a spare for each corner in a pinch.
Just wondering if you've tried the car with the Recaros... I can understand your thoughts about headroom and a sunroof, but those Recaros are just GREAT seats - and probably take away less headroom that the Ultraview.
Hope it arrives soon!

Best regards,

Elie

dcc8203
08-15-11, 11:29 AM
I ordered mine on 6/22 and have a TPW of 8/15. At that point they weren't taking orders for '11 models so I had to wait until the production of the '12s began. My dealer said it was normally an 8-week lead time.

As far as incentives, it was explained to me that you would get whatever was in effect when the car was delivered, not ordered. I'm not expecting any incentives for a new '12 model right now.

Check on the white color, as many of the more exotic colors have been affected by the tsunami which damaged one of the paint suppliers. I wanted Thunder Grey and had to settle for Silver.

Have you tried the Recaros? They get good reviews; maybe they would fit you.

Good luck!

farleywilbur
08-15-11, 11:39 AM
Elie - thanks for the comment. Did you pay huge duty on having the tires shipped across the border? Where did you buy winter rims and what did you get?

As for the Recaros - I really hate confining seats. 99.9 % of my driving will be on flat, straight roads and wearing a suit so I think the regular seats will be better. I haven't sat in the Recaros because no dealer around here has a V available!! This will definitely be the first time ever buying a vehicle without test driving and the last few I have taken home a demo overnight. Both the Mercedes and BMW I bought recently gave me a loaner and in both cases its why I bought them.

dcc - interesting about the paint colour I am going to look into that. Silver is my second choice. Would love black diamond but worried about the effort to keep it looking sharp.

Speedtrapped
08-15-11, 11:44 AM
I have the recaros...6'-4" 255lbs....really are comfortable....

farleywilbur
08-15-11, 12:39 PM
Just got a cash price of $84,644 out the door including tax and licence. The lease option comes back at $1280/month tax in on a 48 month lease. Not a bad starting point but I think I can do better. Bloody 15% tax pisses me off. I guess someone has to pay for our politicians golf and winery tour getaways.

Speedtrapped
08-15-11, 12:51 PM
$1280/month for 48 months?/ asume no $ down.....I picked mine up inMay, loaded....leased 39months, 12 miless a year, no $ down, just registration, bank fee...I pay 965/month 39/m. U def can do better...dealer did have vagon on lot for 4 months...

farleywilbur
08-15-11, 12:55 PM
$1280/month for 48 months?/ asume no $ down.....I picked mine up inMay, loaded....leased 39months, 12 miless a year, no $ down, just registration, bank fee...I pay 965/month 39/m. U def can do better...dealer did have vagon on lot for 4 months...

Yes zero down, 48 months. I take it you are in the US? I am in Canada, land of the higher dollar but still we get screwed on MRSP vs the US and our lovely HST at 13%.

I have a trade but won't bring that up until the numbers are looking better. I may also keep the trade over the winter and sell privately.

Torxila
08-15-11, 01:17 PM
I'm 5-10 x 325, just set the bolsters out to wide both at the seat and back cushions plus you have the cooling fans.

HUGE mistake not getting the Recaros my man!! Just my .02
TSW (Discount Tire) has wheels almost identicle to ours with Comp grey rim and side of spokes, with machined spoke faces, all clear coated. $320ish US.
George

elphil
08-15-11, 03:11 PM
Do you have to pay gas guzzler tax in Canada? In the U.S. we pay $1,300 for manual transmission and $2,600 for auto.
I've ordered two Wagons in the past two years or so, a standard and a V. Standard seats in both have been ok with me. Not great, but ok.
Ordered Sotto winter tires from TireRack on OZ Superleggera lll rims. Spent more then I probably should, 5k, but the V-Wagon is worth it. Very satisfied with the service from TireRack.

garfin
08-15-11, 04:47 PM
Elie - thanks for the comment. Did you pay huge duty on having the tires shipped across the border? Where did you buy winter rims and what did you get?

As for the Recaros - I really hate confining seats. 99.9 % of my driving will be on flat, straight roads and wearing a suit so I think the regular seats will be better. I haven't sat in the Recaros because no dealer around here has a V available!! This will definitely be the first time ever buying a vehicle without test driving and the last few I have taken home a demo overnight. Both the Mercedes and BMW I bought recently gave me a loaner and in both cases its why I bought them.

dcc - interesting about the paint colour I am going to look into that. Silver is my second choice. Would love black diamond but worried about the effort to keep it looking sharp.

There were no surprises when buying from TireRack. They were able to quote me a landed price, shipped to my installer, in $US which included shipping, duty and taxes - I still saved close to $100/tire on the lowest price quoted to me by a Canadian dealer!
I picked up a set of new factory rims (painted as opposed to polished) a year ago from Mike at Midwest Wheel & Tire in Detroit for somewhere around $1200 incl. the TPMS units. It was during the Woodward Cruise so I picked the wheels up at his warehouse. Coming across the border, I was charged 8% Ontario PST. I don't believe I was charged the full 13% HST. Mike is a great guy to deal with and will do whatever he can to help you out. You'd have no problems fitting the 4 wheels in the Vagon! It was a bit of a squeeze in my sedan!
FWIW, I'm gonna strongly suggest again that you try and find a car somewhere with Recaros before making your final decision. It may take a little time to find the correct position with them, but with all the adjustments + the heating and cooling aspect of the seats, I wouldn't want to be kicking myself after the fact 'cuz I didn't order them...

Good luck!

Best regards,

Elie

newcadman
08-15-11, 04:51 PM
Do you have to pay gas guzzler tax in Canada? In the U.S. we pay $1,300 for manual transmission and $2,600 for auto.

It's my understanding the gas guzzler taxes are the same regardless of which side of the border.

newcadman
08-15-11, 05:03 PM

As for winter rims,(non polished factory CTS-V rims) try doing what those who live north of the border do and check out rims with Mike at Midwest Wheels in the Detroit area. Might be worthwhile checking it out?

As for the recaros do yourself a favor and try them before making your final decision. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

garfin
08-15-11, 05:24 PM
I've ordered two Wagons in the past two years or so, a standard and a V. Standard seats in both have been ok with me. Not great, but ok.
Ordered Sotto winter tires from TireRack on OZ Superleggera lll rims. Spent more then I probably should, 5k, but the V-Wagon is worth it. Very satisfied with the service from TireRack.

There is no "Green Levy" (our gas guzzler tax) in Canada on manual transmission Vs, but there is a $2000 "Green Levy" on the automatics. The tax kicks in when a vehicle consumes fuel at a greater rate than 13.0 litres/100 km.as a combined highway/city number. The manual sneaks in at 12.92 L/100 km. The auto has an avg of 14.575 L/100 km. which is in the $2000 bracket. Maximum tax is $4000. (BMW M5, M6 are slapped with that here)
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/etsl64/list/lst_vh-2010-eng.pdf
I don't believe the U.S. gas guzzler tax is paid in Canada when a Canadian imports a used V from the U.S., but we do have to pay our "Green Levy". We catch a bit of a break on that, (especially with the manual cars) but we also pay $1420 freight!
...not to mention the higher MSRP and 13% HST in Ontario.

Best regards,

Elie

Torxila
08-15-11, 06:32 PM
TSWW Winter wheels, at Discount Tire
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/Wheels%20Mar%202011/TSWforV.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/Wheels%20Mar%202011/TSWforV2.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q96/torxila/Wheels%20Mar%202011/TSWforV3.jpg

farleywilbur
08-16-11, 01:02 PM
Ok - the dealer is coming by my office this afternoon with a V-Coupe with Recaros for me to test drive. Some good advice on here to at least try these seats out!!

elphil
08-16-11, 02:20 PM
The Recaros require a great deal of trial and error adjusting to find the best seating position.

farleywilbur
08-16-11, 02:50 PM
They are also bringing a 6 speed manual so I can try it out and see if I should join the super exclusive manual club!!

farleywilbur
08-16-11, 03:44 PM
Just drove the 2011 V-Coupe with the manual and I can't stop smiling. Holy CHRIST this car is fast. Amazing. Insane. Beyond comprehension. Time to sign the order form.

Kluch
08-16-11, 04:08 PM
So are you getting the manual with recaro's now? What's the verdict?

farleywilbur
08-16-11, 04:24 PM
So are you getting the manual with recaro's now? What's the verdict?

Ha! Actually really liked the manual but still will order an auto. I think the auto will be more relaxed in stop and go traffic and easier in the snow. One of the first lights I hit while test driving was on a hill and an Acura pulled right up my ass. I did ok but it doesnt have the hill start assist I found out. The recaro's were nice and better than I expected but still I think I will go with the regular seats as the headroom was pretty tight in the coupe with the sunroof and I have read here the base seats are lower. Plus I am too fat and the recaro's were tight on my love handles.

Kluch
08-16-11, 04:32 PM
I have an auto coupe without recaro's. No regrets, but my next V will have the recaro's for sure. I could stand to be wrapped up a little tighter. I'm 6'0, 165. LOL!

SilveRT8
08-16-11, 10:59 PM
I just ordered a similar White '12 V wagon with auto, recaro, suede and polished wheels, no sunroof.
I tried both the regular and recaro seats and at 6'0, 230 the recaros felt much more comfy, the regular seats had a nagging hard spot pushing in my mid-upper back.
My price will be '12 MSRP less $8,200 Canadian.
For winter tires I'm undecided between the Sotto zero and the Blizzak LM60 wich I'm told are better in deep snow or ice, although the Sotto zero have better performance when dry and cold.

garfin
08-17-11, 08:46 AM
Ha! Actually really liked the manual but still will order an auto. I think the auto will be more relaxed in stop and go traffic and easier in the snow. One of the first lights I hit while test driving was on a hill and an Acura pulled right up my ass. I did ok but it doesnt have the hill start assist I found out. The recaro's were nice and better than I expected but still I think I will go with the regular seats as the headroom was pretty tight in the coupe with the sunroof and I have read here the base seats are lower. Plus I am too fat and the recaro's were tight on my love handles.

The manual actually does have the hill holder/hill start feature incorporated into the electric e-brake. If you apply the brake by lifting up the switch, you can still keep one foot on the gas and the other on the clutch while the brake holds the car. The brake releases as soon as you give it some gas and lift off the clutch. No rolling back!

Good that you were able to try the Recaros and figure out what's best for you! Also keep in mind that the coupe's roof is a little lower (2"?) lower than the roof on the sedan and wagon.

Best regards,

Elie

garfin
08-17-11, 08:53 AM
I just ordered a similar White '12 V wagon with auto, recaro, suede and polished wheels, no sunroof.
I tried both the regular and recaro seats and at 6'0, 230 the recaros felt much more comfy, the regular seats had a nagging hard spot pushing in my mid-upper back.
My price will be '12 MSRP less $8,200 Canadian.
For winter tires I'm undecided between the Sotto zero and the Blizzak LM60 wich I'm told are better in deep snow or ice, although the Sotto zero have better performance when dry and cold.

Congrats! Looks like Canadians are buying up all the Vagon production!!

Best regards,

Elie

burt99
08-17-11, 11:30 AM
I'm also in Toronto and loving my 6 sp manual thunder grey v wagon, is there anyone else with a v wagon in the Toronto area?