: Questions about the V Sport modes and stabilitrak

DD GT3 RD
08-15-11, 01:40 AM
My brother has a CTS-V sedan automatic. I have a C63

So I believe in the Auto starts in 2nd gear automatically. Is there a way to make it start in 1st WITHOUT being in Manual
mode?

What exactly does touring mode and sport mode do? Is it only the dampening that is changed and/or anything with the
tranny?

Also, when you hit the Traction Control button once it shows the TC image light up, is this completely off? Then if you hit it
again it says "stabilitrak mode" is this like a sport mode for the traction, like being halfway on? of is this completely off?

Thanks ahead. Its his car, im just trying to figure it out for myself and he isn't very knowledgeable about it.

A909killer
08-15-11, 01:53 AM
i actually just found this out this weekend. you have to hold down the TC button for 10 full seconds to turn the traction control completely off. it should say "stabilitrac off"

serturbo
08-15-11, 02:04 AM
The car is initially in 1st when you shift to D. Once it starts going and shifts out of 1st, it will then start in 2nd.

M5eater
08-15-11, 06:37 AM
sport shift mode starts in 1st without having to do it manualy, 1 press is traction control off, stability control on, 2 hits are the same, except the steering is firmed up. as said before, press & hold 10 seconds turns off the TC & Stability control off.

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 08:22 AM
Is the auto different from the manual?

In any V I've ever driven, it's:

1 touch for TC off, Stabilitrak on.
2 touches for TC off, Stabilitrak in Competitive Driving mode, which is about 1/2 normal nanny.
1 touch and then hold down for 3-5 seconds for everything off.

M5eater
08-15-11, 09:07 AM
nope, it's the exact same.

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 09:34 AM
Then 10 seconds is a large overestimate...

M5eater
08-15-11, 10:05 AM
Then 10 seconds is a large overestimate...

agreed, it's more like 3-5 seconds as you suggested.

baabootoo
08-15-11, 06:56 PM
Did you get your answers then?
Yes
Yes/no.
No, yes. :)

Kluch
08-15-11, 08:09 PM
There are 2 sport modes. When you push the button on the dash, that is the sport suspension. It defaults to touring mode every time the car is turned off. On an automatic, if you push the gear shifter to the right when the car is in drive and don't shift manually, the car is in sport transmission mode. It will start in 1st gear 100% of the time in this mode and hold each gear longer. You get much better acceleration in this mode. When i want to drive aggressively, the car is in sport suspension, sport transmission, and traction/stabilitrack are off completely.

Wannago
08-15-11, 08:55 PM
sport shift mode starts in 1st without having to do it manualy, 1 press is traction control off, stability control on, 2 hits are the same, except the steering is firmed up. as said before, press & hold 10 seconds turns off the TC & Stability control off.

I never knew 2 pushes also affected the steering? Just when I thought I knew it all...

tabio42
08-16-11, 06:46 AM
Is there a way to turn tc all the way off but have the stiff steering?

M5eater
08-16-11, 07:35 AM
I never knew 2 pushes also affected the steering? Just when I thought I knew it all...

try it today :) it's definitally noticeable, the ZF steering is also supposed to stiffen up at high speeds, but I never really paid attention when I was going 65+ whether the steering was lighter or firmer.

Nutz
08-16-11, 07:36 AM
Press it for 3-5 seconds, should be fun...
http://www.adweek.com/files/brandweekmoy/6a00d834519bc269e20134874c3c38970c-300wi

Wannago
08-16-11, 10:15 AM
try it today :) it's definitally noticeable, the ZF steering is also supposed to stiffen up at high speeds, but I never really paid attention when I was going 65+ whether the steering was lighter or firmer.

Just tried it. You're absoutely right! Very noticable indeed! Thanks for the enlightenment.

DD GT3 RD
08-17-11, 11:29 AM
Guys thank you so much! Strange how they did it!

BMW Squasher
08-21-11, 06:08 PM
If I'm moving and I change into sport mode, I don't notice the change in shift patterns until I've come to a stop and then start moving again. Is this normal?

baabootoo
08-22-11, 03:55 PM
I don't know if it does much under normal driving. Under WOT is when I see the difference in shifting.

stabie
08-22-11, 05:33 PM
I am still in breakin so I can't o crazy. On my plain CTS, if you WOT'ed it for abit, it would hold the shift for quite awhile, anticipating more hard accel. Further, if you braked it when it was hot like this, it would upshift again anticipating more hard driving. I assume the V does something similar.

dhpro
08-23-11, 11:42 AM
Im pretty confused...why cant they just have a "FAST", "FASTER" and "FUKINFAST" button? who the hell has time to play with all that when some hippie in a GT500 threatens to go at the stop sign?

stabie
08-23-11, 12:46 PM
Just leave it in sport mode (throw it to the right) and you don't have to worry about it. In the sport mode, it holds the shift longer when you let off the gas pedal. Obviously if your smoking someone at a light your not going to let off until they are in your rearview mirror. You might find after you let off the gas though that it does not shift for 10 or 20 seconds into a higher gear, which may be a bit confusing the first time:)

dhpro
08-23-11, 01:20 PM
Just leave it in sport mode (throw it to the right) and you don't have to worry about it. In the sport mode, it holds the shift longer when you let off the gas pedal. Obviously if your smoking someone at a light your not going to let off until they are in your rearview mirror. You might find after you let off the gas though that it does not shift for 10 or 20 seconds into a higher gear, which may be a bit confusing the first time:)

Thnx, but I got the manual trans...so I wonder how the settings effect those shifts? I'll have to do some real world testing I guess:shhh: