: Oil Change Steps and Brand/Type

rcgait1
10-22-04, 02:49 PM
I own a 2004 Escalade and want to change to synthetic. What brand should I go with and what weight? Also can someone post instructions on how to change the oil in this beast and how to reset the oil indicator display on the dash. Also I am assuming its best to use an OEM filter... Any help would be appreciated.

-Rob

MEJIA
10-22-04, 04:19 PM
I own a 2004 Escalade and want to change to synthetic. What brand should I go with and what weight? Also can someone post instructions on how to change the oil in this beast and how to reset the oil indicator display on the dash. Also I am assuming its best to use an OEM filter... Any help would be appreciated.

-Rob

I use K&N Gold Oil Filter Part No. HP-2006, or Mobil 1 Oil Filter, with 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30. Ive also used in the past Royal Purple 10W-30 Synthetic oil. This are my top choices. Draining and changing the oil filter is a no brainer, and an easy procedure if you have handy a creeper. To resert the oil indicator display on the dash follow the next procedure.

Select the oil life indicator in the Drivers Information Center. Then press the enter button on the steering wheel for about 6 to 10 seconds and that should do the trick. It will display change oil, and then the oil life indicator will display 100% oil life.

Hope this helps, ;)

Mejia

hcvone
10-23-04, 09:10 AM
Mobil 1 is a cheaper synthetic oil and easy to get, Amsoil, Red Line and Royal Purple use better bases in making their oils, they cost more but offer the best protection. Amsoil, Mobil 1 and K&N offer good oil filters. I believe the owners manual has the reset process, but you want to scoll through the DIC to you get to oil life, then hold the reset buttton on the lower right of the steering wheel for 5 seconds and it will reset to 100%

CAD-E!
10-23-04, 07:08 PM
my 03 has 4800 miles which one of those oils you metioned should i use and should i use 5-30 or 10-30?

fast66
10-23-04, 08:18 PM
Mobil 1 is a cheaper synthetic oil and easy to get, Amsoil, Red Line and Royal Purple use better bases in making their oils, they cost more but offer the best protection. Amsoil, Mobil 1 and K&N offer good oil filters. I believe the owners manual has the reset process, but you want to scoll through the DIC to you get to oil life, then hold the reset buttton on the lower right of the steering wheel for 5 seconds and it will reset to 100%

Why do you say mobil 1 is a cheaper synthetic oil?

hcvone
10-23-04, 09:37 PM
Why do you say mobil 1 is a cheaper synthetic oil?

It costs less, and offers less protection than Amsoil or Red Line in independent testing, having said that it's much better than standard motor oils. In manufacturing of synthetic oils it all starts with your base formula, the two above use the best starting bases to make their oils. Not saying there is anything wrong with Mobil 1, but when Red Line sponsered us in snowmobiling yaers ago they showed use in many different tests why their product was better than other synthetic products, since then I have seen testing at Amsoil of even better protection and longer lasting products.

Sycosis
10-24-04, 03:34 PM
my 03 has 4800 miles which one of those oils you metioned should i use and should i use 5-30 or 10-30?

02's call for 5W-30.. Check your owners manual.

smithsonga
10-24-04, 08:42 PM
use what is in the manual....it should be 5W30 I believe.

I have seen results from a Ford Powertrain study that showed Mobil 1 superior to other synthetics including Redline. I would not be hesitant to upgrade to Mobil 1 and save some money vs. the others like Redline (I used to use Redline exclusively).

I like the Mobil 1 filter.

What I do find weird is when I upgraded recently to Mobil 1, I am getting about 1mph LESS gas mileage...I am guessing the Mobil 1 isnt thinning as much as the conventional causing more protection but also more energy loss. Heck 12.5 mpg was bad enough...now 11.5!!

I am changing based on the computer indication...typically 7-7.5k intervals.

Jim

hcvone
10-25-04, 12:13 AM
Mobil 1 has changed their formula 7 times in the past 15 years, the only tests I have seen Mobil 1 win as been their own. ;)

smithsonga
10-25-04, 10:25 AM
Mobil 1 has changed their formula 7 times in the past 15 years, the only tests I have seen Mobil 1 win as been their own. ;)

Thats because you distribute Amsoil. :golden:

CAD-E!
10-26-04, 08:37 PM
I use K&N Gold Oil Filter Part No. HP-2006, or Mobil 1 Oil Filter, with 6 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-30. Ive also used in the past Royal Purple 10W-30 Synthetic oil. This are my top choices. Draining and changing the oil filter is a no brainer, and an easy procedure if you have handy a creeper. To resert the oil indicator display on the dash follow the next procedure.

Select the oil life indicator in the Drivers Information Center. Then press the enter button on the steering wheel for about 6 to 10 seconds and that should do the trick. It will display change oil, and then the oil life indicator will display 100% oil life.

Hope this helps, ;)

Mejia

i was on the k&n site why does it say that the escalade uses part # hp-1007?

Xrayqueen
10-27-04, 12:30 AM
My service manager told me to use 5w/30w mobile 1 on my 2000 Lade. Is this a good product ???? He also said I could go 5000 miles vs 3000 between oil changes due to it being a synthetic oil. Everyone seems to be posting they are useing 10w/30w :confused:
Peace :confused:

Stoiz11
10-27-04, 12:34 AM
Synthetic should only be used if you have used it the cars whole life, also it calls for 5-30 but i run 10-30 most of the time, you will get alittle better fuel mileage out of 5-30, im gonna switch to 5-30 for my next change coming up. Oil filters are oil filters, wix,fram, purolator, they are all the same, everyone has good filtering tech, no reason to spend more then a couple of bucks on a filter

CAD-E!
10-27-04, 12:47 AM
does anyone know why the fram & purolator filters are smaller than the ones by delco. i wasnt sure if they put the right part #'s in the fram and purolator parts guide. the filters look identical to the filters i use in my honda civic.

Xrayqueen
10-27-04, 12:49 AM
Synthetic should only be used if you have used it the cars whole life, also it calls for 5-30 but i run 10-30 most of the time, you will get alittle better fuel mileage out of 5-30, im gonna switch to 5-30 for my next change coming up. Oil filters are oil filters, wix,fram, purolator, they are all the same, everyone has good filtering tech, no reason to spend more then a couple of bucks on a filter
Thank for the info. I was a little worried :)
Peace :bouncy:

Stoiz11
10-27-04, 10:41 AM
fram number should be a PH3980 on a 99-00, 02 and up should be a PH3675 fram, i can get other numbers based on company, Also i used Castrol GTX in my 99, good standard motor oil. The new synthetic oils they are saying 5000 miles on them but i just wouldn't trust 5000 when it has always been 3000 miles on each change, not worth taking the risk with that much of an expensive of a vehicle

Stoiz11
10-27-04, 01:03 PM
Also a thought for some who may have alittle older escalade, it is good to run some type of additive with it, such as lucas oil stabilizer or i recommend Hi-Tach Additive, gives good upper lubercation. Put it in, in place of a quart of oil, do it once every 3-4 changes. Also i have over 100,000 miles on my 99, i will be using a top engine cleaner to get ride of the sludge that may have built up. Stuff like that is good to run before an oil change comes up and when you can run the car for a good hour at a time. So add it before your oil change by 100 or so miles, run it for a good while around town, let it clean that top and then change the oil before next use, so you drain all that crap out