: Excited prospective owner of an '05 N* AWD 1SG :)

Dj Brady
08-13-11, 05:21 PM
Hey all. I've been browsing the heck out of your forum for the last few weeks trying to decide if the STS is going to be my next car. One test drive and I was sold about a month ago (cooled seats? YES PLEASE!) and now I've just been researching to educate myself on all potential issues.
I've found an '05 with all the bells and whistles (and I mean ALL the bells and whistles) about 7 hours from me (isn't that where ALL the good deals are?) and I've spoken, at length, with the current owner and I have a good feeling about him and his intentions and he was honest with the two issues the car currently has (one rotor needing replaced and a small puncture hole that's been patched in the passenger seat) and when asked if there was ANYTHING I could find on the car under my thorough inspection that would cause me not to want it, he responded confidently, "No".
I'll still give it a thorough inspection but the cash deal is full incentive for me to make the trip. The only thing I'm gambling is a day and a half of my time and a rental car/gas/lodging. Small investment for a potential great deal..

so... anyway, here I am saying, "Thanks for the very mature, helpful and informative forum".

Greg00coupe
08-14-11, 09:31 AM
Good luck let us know how it goes.

daykeys
08-18-11, 06:33 PM
Did you end up getting it? I just got a 05 1SG a few months ago! Love it more then my gf!

Dj Brady
08-19-11, 09:27 PM
LOL.. more than your GF, huh?

I did get it. I drove 7 hours to Michigan to get it. The $400 in expenses was well worth the 2-5 thousand in savings. In my neck of the woods (Central KY) and surrounding areas, these are going for 16-19k. I found mine for 14k with 65K miles. I know, now that I've purchased one, that I'll find a cheaper one, but I'm satisfied with my purchase. This one has every bell and whistle, including HUD and ACC (I'm already a fan of the ACC after driving back 7 hours). Its only issue is a little slack in the left tie-rod end which is better than I expected considering the roads in Michigan. I'll change that out in the next few days and I'll be getting some new tires soon. The Toyo Proxes currently mounted are pretty effing noisy.. I'll be flipping through here for tire reviews soon. I can post pics, but I'm sure everyone here has seen a black and tan on 18's. :)

mckellyb
08-21-11, 01:49 PM
Congrats!!

Yeah...the cooled seats are worth a limb in summer, ain't they? Gawd, I love 'em.

BTW, you'll find the headrests are cooled, too. I still don't believe it, but GM did it right!

Sounds like a great deal, honestly. I looked for a 1SG, but wound up getting a 1SF in a color I really liked, with new Continentals, and I've not regretted it for one second.

Quiet tires which get great reviews, and on my car, are wearing great, are Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I think that's them, anyway. Go check some reviews on tirerack.com.

OT: I can't wait to put BFG A/T's on my wife's ultra-clean 2002 Lexus RX300. I'll show 'em what a car-based SUV can do!

turnne
08-22-11, 06:52 PM
LOL.. more than your GF, huh?

I did get it. I drove 7 hours to Michigan to get it. The $400 in expenses was well worth the 2-5 thousand in savings. In my neck of the woods (Central KY) and surrounding areas, these are going for 16-19k. I found mine for 14k with 65K miles. I know, now that I've purchased one, that I'll find a cheaper one, but I'm satisfied with my purchase. This one has every bell and whistle, including HUD and ACC (I'm already a fan of the ACC after driving back 7 hours). Its only issue is a little slack in the left tie-rod end which is better than I expected considering the roads in Michigan. I'll change that out in the next few days and I'll be getting some new tires soon. The Toyo Proxes currently mounted are pretty effing noisy.. I'll be flipping through here for tire reviews soon. I can post pics, but I'm sure everyone here has seen a black and tan on 18's. :)

wow...16-19K huh
I have the exact same car..except in white diamond w/HUD,ACC etc
I would have sold you mine..in Ohio...for $15K with 69K...and it has 2 years or 100K total miles.left on its bumper to bumper warranty

Congrats though
I am a huge fan of HUD...and the ACC makes me use cruise control when I never liked it before...due to the fact that it had to be adjusted constantly on the freeway because of other vehicles

Warren

caddyfat2
08-22-11, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=mckellyb;2689880]

BTW, you'll find the headrests are cooled, too. I still don't believe it, but GM did it right!

WOW when did that happen. (it's not on my car)

Dj Brady
08-22-11, 11:55 PM
wow...16-19K huh
I have the exact same car..except in white diamond w/HUD,ACC etc
I would have sold you mine..in Ohio...for $15K with 69K...and it has 2 years or 100K total miles.left on its bumper to bumper warranty
Warren

there's always going to be the better deal and I accept that.. BUT... I do love the black paint on mine. :)
I'm curious, how do you have a remaining warranty?

and as Caddyfat mentioned... I don't see evidence of cooled headrest either...

mckellyb
08-23-11, 12:28 AM
On my 2005, with the seats on the 'high' fan setting, if you sit back, pull your head just far enough away from the headrest to put your fingers in-between, knuckles toward the headrest, you should be able to feel the slightest suction breeze. It's subtle, but there. I've yet to extinguish a match then put it immediately in front of the headrest to verify, but I'm pretty certain, the headrests have airflow.

It could be airflow escaping from elsewhere, causing the breeze, but it feels like the headrest has suction. I can feel it on the hair of my knuckles...just barely, and only if they're very close, but not touching, the surface.

I'll try to remember to test this, tomorrow, 'cause now I want to confirm it.

Greg00coupe
08-23-11, 06:40 AM
I could be wrong but i don't think there is any perforations in the head rests which would allow air to flow from a fan as is used in the seat base. Congrats on you purchase of an STS. I was washing and detailing mine this weekend and thought man I love this car. They are neat vehicles.

Midnight
08-23-11, 03:59 PM
Grats :) I have your car but it's red. Having all the options is great. I think HUD was an option on top of the 1SG package (like some people who have a 1SG don't have it)... it's definitely nice to have. Is yours AWD too?

Lifer
08-23-11, 05:05 PM
Congrats!!

Not in my 06 STS! Only the seat cushions where they are perforated are "cooled." And it is only blowing ambient air through a rather loud fan, not refrigerated air. Nice, but the cars that use the Peltier cooler, like the Escalade, or Lincoln LS -that's real cool).

mckellyb
08-23-11, 06:42 PM
Cooled headrests.

Experimentation shows it must be suction from the seatback drawing air over my headrest while my back is against it.

I thought this amount of luxury was a bit excessive from GM.

Dj Brady
08-23-11, 09:35 PM
Grats :) I have your car but it's red. Having all the options is great. I think HUD was an option on top of the 1SG package (like some people who have a 1SG don't have it)... it's definitely nice to have. Is yours AWD too?

Yeah, HUD and ACC are a la carte options on top of the 1SG. I love them. :)
As far as the awd, read the topic title again. ;)
It sure is.

I DID find out today that I have a wheel that's a little bit out of round, surely because of those northern roads. Time to watch the classifieds :)